Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32004 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

pearl

Park City, UT

#28877 Nov 6, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow... I agree with you and that's what I get? Perhaps you took my agreement the wrong way. Just saying...
If your trying to convince me you are somehow in a gracious or a non-condescending mood, I'm not buying it.
pearl

Park City, UT

#28878 Nov 6, 2013
That was a perfect example of the liberal mentality at work. You're wrong even if you do agree with something. Live and learn.
Do you think we agree on the reason he shouldn't be there. Yeah, didn't think so. But you are right, at least we do agree, he shouldn't be there. And with that admission I feel the need for a shower.

Since: Sep 12

Norwood, MO

#28879 Nov 6, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>If your trying to convince me you are somehow in a gracious or a non-condescending mood, I'm not buying it.
That's your choice. You've only helped to confirm what I've thought all along, and I thank you for that.
BTW- It's If "you're trying," not "your trying."

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#28880 Nov 6, 2013
<quoted text>
It was a violation of the honor code. The honor code which was "set" by a "private" university "he chose" to attend, "knowing" full well the "honor code," and the rules and regulations required of him and his fellow students. At least, instead of lying, he chose to tell the truth, and was held accountable as would ANY student who "chooses" to attend there. No... I disagree. He shouldn't have keep lying. He did the right thing by telling the truth.
Being in a "honor code" does not make it right, and it's not set in stone. Just like the earlier prohibition of blacks holding the priesthood wasn't right. Freedom of religion is a Constitutional right. One no private school should have the right to overturn. He gave the LDS church 2 years of his life instead of going straight to college as he could have done. He had earned the right to be there.

Again it is the LDS church which claims:

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

That is clearly a lie.

United States

#28881 Nov 6, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>Being in a "honor code" does not make it right, and it's not set in stone. Just like the earlier prohibition of blacks holding the priesthood wasn't right. Freedom of religion is a Constitutional right. One no private school should have the right to overturn. He gave the LDS church 2 years of his life instead of going straight to college as he could have done. He had earned the right to be there.

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

That is clearly a lie.
What part of "private" university are you missing? What part of they can mandate any rules and regulations they see fit as a private institution are you missing? What part of every student knows those rules and regulations and still choosing to go there are you missing? See... here's the thing. He CHOSE to go there knowing those rules and regulations, just as every other student who has attended there, and currently attends there. Plain and simple. Therefore, he, like others, is held accountable. It makes no difference he served a mission. That was his choice as well. Just because he did, he should be given a pass??? I still think he did the right thing by being honest. I don't advocate lying, as you suggested he do. He did the right thing.

United States

#28882 Nov 6, 2013
Dana, if you think it's a lie, you are free to do so. Had this happened at the "U," it would be a whole different story as it is a public university.
Sterkfontein Swartkrans

Lambertville, NJ

#28883 Nov 6, 2013
The best explanation of mormonism and how stupid people are that believe joseph smith's crap is a South Park episode titled, what else, mormons! Check it out!!
pearl

Park City, UT

#28884 Nov 6, 2013
<quoted text>
That's your choice. You've only helped to confirm what I've thought all along, and I thank you for that.
BTW- It's If "you're trying," not "your trying."
Crazy, you figured out a long time ago that my secret agenda here was to help, so no need to thank me. And I'm aware that your constant attention to my grammar is only because you can't help but expressing your benevolence. Do you think my grammar has improved?
pearl

Park City, UT

#28885 Nov 6, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Being in a "honor code" does not make it right, and it's not set in stone. Just like the earlier prohibition of blacks holding the priesthood wasn't right. Freedom of religion is a Constitutional right. One no private school should have the right to overturn. He gave the LDS church 2 years of his life instead of going straight to college as he could have done. He had earned the right to be there.
That is clearly a lie.
I'm more pessimistic than anyone I know, but even I can see the bright side of this story. I can't help but think this kid will be better off and the church lost a member. It's really a win win.
pearl

Park City, UT

#28886 Nov 6, 2013
Sterkfontein Swartkrans wrote:
The best explanation of mormonism and how stupid people are that believe joseph smith's crap is a South Park episode titled, what else, mormons! Check it out!!
It's a good episode, but by far, the best South Park episode is "Country Critter Christmas"

Norwood, MO

#28887 Nov 6, 2013
Sterkfontein Swartkrans wrote:
Well, that was sure enlightening. Thanks.

Norwood, MO

#28888 Nov 6, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Crazy, you figured out a long time ago that my secret agenda here was to help, so no need to thank me. And I'm aware that your constant attention to my grammar is only because you can't help but expressing your benevolence. Do you think my grammar has improved?
I can sure tell you what hasn't improved. Your ability to assume correctly.
pearl

Park City, UT

#28889 Nov 6, 2013
<quoted text>
I can sure tell you what hasn't improved. Your ability to assume correctly.
You mean as you do? Is it one of those godly traits I hear about? Cuz ya know if it is, I get a handicap for being female.
pearl

Park City, UT

#28890 Nov 6, 2013
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it's "Woodland Critter Christmas"

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#28891 Nov 6, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
God forbid a student actually use his mind at a university. That would be breaking the "honor code". The irony was that when he did finally tell the truth, it was a violation of the "honor code". He should have just kept on lying.
Even lying wouldn't have helped. He opened his mouth without thinking(as I say to you at times)at blog sites and made statements that ran contrary to the honor code he took. He could have been opinionated about church policies etc and would have still attended BYU. He was an idiot for stating he lost his faith to atheism and was exploring other spiritual faiths and assuming the bosses wouldn't hear of it.
People take honor code type oaths all the time. To be a cop, fireman, physician, politician, shrink etc you take an honor code/oath and swear to uphold it and not break it. If you can't keep an oath, don't take one, pretty simple really.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#28892 Nov 6, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is clearly a lie.
It's debatable that he gave two years of his life as a missionary to the church. He did do a mission. That's true. But what kind of a missionary was he is the question. A 'go getter'? Maybe one that drug his feet disliking being there but didn't have the courage to quit? Or maybe a mediocre one doing as was expected and nothing more.
Point being having did a mission didn't earn him the 'right' to be there any more than a non-Mormon deserves the right to be there.
The BYU honor code weeds out the wheat from the chaft as the verse goes. The church wants those who are serious about earning a degree while having strong moral character to come there. You don't like that and I'm not surprised.

Norwood, MO

#28893 Nov 6, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>You mean as you do? Is it one of those godly traits I hear about? Cuz ya know if it is, I get a handicap for being female.
I'm not surprised. What does surprise me is that you, being a liberal, didn't include being a "disabled Native American female." That would've really scored well.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#28894 Nov 6, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>I'm more pessimistic than anyone I know, but even I can see the bright side of this story. I can't help but think this kid will be better off and the church lost a member. It's really a win win.
It's not a win-win. The kid's dishonest. The kid was willing to lie and deceive to get gain. He entered BYU with faith wavering and heading out the door. Instead of waiting to analyze himself and what he wanted or didn't want concerning his faith, he dishonestly affirmed he was a TBRMM in good full faith believing. That was all a lie and he knew it. Once going to BYU, he broke the honor code by mentally and through blogs disavowed himself as having any Mormon faith and was an atheist and didn't report the change. He wanted his dishonesty and lies to to be excused by Mackay so his parents could get their $ back.
It's people like dana and nomo that think people like this kid should be able to lie and be dishonest in order to get gain if necessary. This kid was of that mind set.
The kid doesn't know what he wants. He didn't know it as a Mormon and he doesn't know it as an atheist. I do hope he gets it figured out under better circumstances.

Marysville, CA

#28895 Nov 6, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a win-win. The kid's dishonest. The kid was willing to lie and deceive to get gain. He entered BYU with faith wavering and heading out the door. Instead of waiting to analyze himself and what he wanted or didn't want concerning his faith, he dishonestly affirmed he was a TBRMM in good full faith believing.
You keep claiming that, but no where in the article does it say that his was anything but a full faith believing Mormon when he started BYU. You are just justifying the horrific nature of the so-called honor code. A code that has no honor.

Marysville, CA

#28896 Nov 6, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
It's debatable that he gave two years of his life as a missionary to the church. He did do a mission. That's true. But what kind of a missionary was he is the question. A 'go getter'? Maybe one that drug his feet disliking being there but didn't have the courage to quit? Or maybe a mediocre one doing as was expected and nothing more.
Point being having did a mission didn't earn him the 'right' to be there any more than a non-Mormon deserves the right to be there.
The BYU honor code weeds out the wheat from the chaft as the verse goes. The church wants those who are serious about earning a degree while having strong moral character to come there. You don't like that and I'm not surprised.
There are many atheists of strong moral fiber, and he was keeping the moral aspects of the honor code. He just didn't believe the BS any more. As for what kind of mission he did, stop pretending you have any first hand knowledge of it because you don't. Again, you want to blame the victim instead of the criminal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Episcopalian bishops seek end to 'unholy trinit... 14 hr JR Bailey 1
Mad Max: Fury Road is an Insanely Intense Movie... Sun Culture Auditor 1
June twisted-sex, 2015- It was NEVER about "Love" Jun 27 Far seeing man 1
News Big tractor stolen from Utah construction site Jun 25 Emerald 4
News Are vitamins from USANA worth price? (Mar '08) Jun 24 Beldara Odessa 220
save granite! Jun 23 Jennifer 1
Review: AMSCO Windows (Jan '10) Jun 18 billings 66
More from around the web

Salt Lake City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE