Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32099 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

concerned in Egypt

Europe

#25995 May 25, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop lying.
We don't call all other Christians denominations of the devil and apostate.
Does the Mormon church condemn other religious systems? The answer is definitely, "Yes." Let's look at Mormon writers and see what they have said.

Joseph Smith said ...

(Regarding Joseph Smith's alleged first vision where celestial personages appeared to him.)...) "My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right — and which I should join. I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong, and the personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in His sight: that those professors were all corrupt ..." (Joseph Smith, History of the Church, vol. 1, p. 5-6).

"What is it that inspires professors of Christianity generally with a hope of salvation? It is that smooth, sophisticated influence of the devil, by which he deceives the whole world," (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, compiled by Joseph Fielding Smith, p. 270.)

(In questions directed to Joseph Smith, the founder of Mormonism...)
First -- "Do you believe the Bible?"
If we do, we are the only people under heaven that do, for there are none of the religious sects of the day that do."
Third — "Will everybody be damned, but Mormons?"
Yes, and a great portion of them, unless they repent, and work righteousness." (Teachings, page 119.)

Brigham Young said...

"But He did send His angel to this same obscure person, Joseph Smith jun., who afterwards became a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, and informed him that he should not join any of the religious sects of the day, for they were all wrong," (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, 1855, p. 171).

cont...
concerned in Egypt

Europe

#25996 May 25, 2013
John Taylor said ...

"We talk about Christianity, but it is a perfect pack of nonsense.... Myself and hundreds of the Elders around me have seen its pomp, parade, and glory; and what is it? It is a sounding brass and a tinkling symbol; it is as corrupt as hell; and the Devil could not invent a better engine to spread his work than the Christianity of the nineteenth century," (Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, 1858, p. 167).

"Where shall we look for the true order or authority of God? It cannot be found in any nation of Christendom," (Journal of Discourses, vol. 10, 1863, p. 127).

James Talmage said ...

"A self-suggesting interpretation of history indicates that there has been a great departure from the way of salvation as laid down by the Savior, a universal apostasy from the Church of Christ," (The Articles of Faith, Deseret Book Company, Salt Lake City, p. 182).

Bruce McConkie said ...

"With the loss of the gospel, the nations of the earth went into a moral eclipse called the Dark Ages," (Mormon Doctrine, Bookcraft, Salt Lake City, Utah, p. 44).

cont...
concerned in Egypt

Europe

#25997 May 25, 2013
Joseph Fielding Smith said ...

"Again, following the death of his apostles, apostasy once more set in, and again the saving principles and ordinances of the gospel were changed to suit the conveniences and notions of the people. Doctrines were corrupted, authority lost, and a false order of religion took the place of the gospel of Jesus Christ, just as it had been the case in former dispensations, and the people were left in spiritual darkness," (Doctrines of Salvation, page 266).

The Book of Mormon says...

"And he said unto me: Behold there are save two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil; wherefore, whoso belongeth not to the church of the Lamb of God belongeth to that great church which is the mother of abominations; and she is the whore of all the earth" (1 Nephi 14:10).

"And when the day cometh that the wrath of God is poured out upon the mother of harlots, which is the great and abominable church of all the earth, whose foundation is the devil, then, at that day, the work of the Father shall commence..." (1 Nephi. 14:17).

The Doctrine and Covenants says ...

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, darkness covereth the earth, and gross darkness the minds of the people, and all flesh has become corrupt before my face" (Doctrine and Covenants, 112:23).

When the Mormon missionaries come to the door and do their "gospel" presentation, they mention an apostasy and the need for a prophet, their prophet, to restore the true Teachings of Jesus. Of course, these ‘restored' teachings are completely false.

Nevertheless, the Mormon church clearly condemns other religious systems. Those Mormons who complain about poor treatment should familiarize themselves with their teachers' words.

from CARM http://carm.org/does-mormonism-attack-other-r...

So as all can see I am not lying, I post truth because it matters.

“The Pleasure is all MINE”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#25998 May 25, 2013
That is what you wish is true...

It is not what you believe. It's what you want to believe.
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Because that is what I believe.

Location hidden

#25999 May 25, 2013
Strange you also, like Mormons, defend segregation and discrimination against black people as a "valid" interpretation of the Bible based on a notion that God "discriminates" like apples and oranges?

Or have I misunderstood you
concerned in Egypt wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that is exactly what the LDS do deny 2000 unbroken years of Christian history and what Christians have belived, call all other Christian denomenations of the devil and apostate. Then They say they are Christian.
lol
Delusional for sure

Location hidden

#26000 May 25, 2013
You lack Morals and Ethics when you believe that blacks came from a curse as you do.

There is an unethical use of that belief to persecute them and you are morally bankrupt throughout your attitudes about this subject.

In essence you have morals but when you see these issues apply to blacks, you throw your morals out and use "the mark of cain" as an excuse to violate.
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
To an atheist I'm sure that's how it seems.
Every Christian or anyone with morals, standards, or ethics need lots of medication and a straitjacket.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#26001 May 25, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
To an atheist I'm sure that's how it seems.
Every Christian or anyone with morals, standards, or ethics need lots of medication and a straitjacket.
I've known many atheist with far more morals than you. And don't misunderstand me, I don't think all Mormons need medication and a straitjacket, I'm talking about you, directly. You're insane.
concerned in Egypt

Copenhagen, Denmark

#26002 May 25, 2013
osirica wrote:
Strange you also, like Mormons, defend segregation and discrimination against black people as a "valid" interpretation of the Bible based on a notion that God "discriminates" like apples and oranges?
<quoted text>
If you take from my posts I defend segregation you can't read and or have a problem with the meaning of words in the English language.

Do I defend Discrimination whats to defend we all discriminate including yourself your post proves it and that's a fact. Some Discrimination is evil and some is good it depends on what criteria you discriminate, that determines whether it is good or evil discrimination.

Truth matters not being politically correct.
concerned in Egypt

Copenhagen, Denmark

#26003 May 25, 2013
osirica wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your favorite Ice Cream flavor?

Your answer what ever it is will require to use discrimination to come up with the answer.

Nothing evil there.

But if you make it so you can only by your favorite flavor and no else can chose that is segregation and that is Evil.

Its a Analogy hope you know what that is.

Get It?
concerned in Egypt

Copenhagen, Denmark

#26004 May 25, 2013
osirica wrote:
<quoted text>
But I have to make an addendum.

I do defend segregation in some instances.

Careful before you judge.

When we put people in prison for committing a crime we are segregating them from the general population.

So again its why and on what basis one segregates or one discriminates that is KEY>

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#26005 May 25, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I've known many atheist with far more morals than you. And don't misunderstand me, I don't think all Mormons need medication and a straitjacket, I'm talking about you, directly. You're insane.
That's funny because you don't even know me.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#26006 May 25, 2013
osirica wrote:
You lack Morals and Ethics when you believe that blacks came from a curse as you do.
There is an unethical use of that belief to persecute them and you are morally bankrupt throughout your attitudes about this subject.
In essence you have morals but when you see these issues apply to blacks, you throw your morals out and use "the mark of cain" as an excuse to violate.
<quoted text>
I did not say they came from a curse.

I said I don't believe Adam and Eve were black or from Africa.
I said I believe Cain was cursed... but a mark was put on him to save his life (that was a blessing) and I believe that mark was God changed his color to lessen his burden.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#26007 May 25, 2013
you said God might have sent a bird around flying near his head as the mark.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#26008 May 25, 2013
My belief of there are people with light skin, and people with dark skin is not racist... it's a fact.

You don't have to agree with me where they came from.

But, if you are going to come in here and say that Adam and Eve were black and white ppl were mutations, and Adam and Eve were from Africa...

then like I have said since you came in from the beginning with that argument prove that... because I really am interested in why you believe that.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#26009 May 25, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny because you don't even know me.
I've seen the person you are here, and it is disgusting.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#26010 May 26, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen the person you are here, and it is disgusting.
No, you haven't you accuse me of being Google it and Carol, which I am not.

So, how can you know me?

No matter how many times you stamp your feet,
pitch a fit,
kick and scream...
it will never make your defiance and lies true.

However, I've seen from you that:

-> you, Dana Robertson said you would kill Jesus Christ for his teachings (the ones you don't believe in).

-> you, Dana Robertson said, you would "kill his prophets"...
you said, God said it was ok to kill... Though the commandments say it's not.

-> you, Dana Robertson called God the Father a "bastard", a "pig", "retarded"...

-> you, Dana Robertson don't even believe in Genesis... you said "it was a myth"

You don't believe in God.
You are not a servant of God.

You are an A.C.C.U.S.A.R.
You are Satan's advocate.
concerned in Egypt

Copenhagen, Denmark

#26011 May 26, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you haven't you accuse me of being Google it and Carol, which I am not.
So, how can you know me?
No matter how many times you stamp your feet,
pitch a fit,
kick and scream...
it will never make your defiance and lies true.
However, I've seen from you that:
-> you, Dana Robertson said you would kill Jesus Christ for his teachings (the ones you don't believe in).
-> you, Dana Robertson said, you would "kill his prophets"...
you said, God said it was ok to kill... Though the commandments say it's not.
-> you, Dana Robertson called God the Father a "bastard", a "pig", "retarded"...
-> you, Dana Robertson don't even believe in Genesis... you said "it was a myth"
You don't believe in God.
You are not a servant of God.
You are an A.C.C.U.S.A.R.
You are Satan's advocate.
It is very sad for you that all you do is engage in personal attacks on those who believe LDS (Mormons) are not Christians.

It is always self evident to all those who are investigating the claims of LDS that if the adherents of LDS doctrine can't defend their beliefs with evidence biblical and historical and can only resort to name calling their faith is not worth looking into.

So your continual name calling, and your inability to defend your faith with rational logical evidcence is a testimony that your faith is false.

Thank you for proving that those who claim that Mormons are not Christians are Posting the TRUTH.
concerned in Egypt

Copenhagen, Denmark

#26012 May 26, 2013
Is Mormonism Christian?

1. Is there more than one true God?

The Bible teaches and orthodox Christians through the ages have always believed that only one true and living God created and rules all things and that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, though personally distinct, are one God, the Lord Jehovah (Genesis 1:1-31; Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 43:10-11; 44:6-8, 24; Matthew 28:19-20; John 1:1; 10:30; 20:28; Acts 5:3-4; 1 Corinthians 8:4-6; 2 Corinthians 3:17-18; 13:14).

By contrast, Mormonism teaches that many Gods made the world (Book of Abraham 4:1-31) and that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are three separate Gods (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith [2007], 41-42). It also teaches that the Father has a wife, our heavenly mother, and that we are “literally” the offspring of divine parents (Ensign, Jan. 1989).

2. Was God the Father once a man like us?

The Bible teaches and orthodox Christians through the ages have always believed that God is Spirit (John 4:20-24; 1 Timothy 6:15, 16) and in His divine nature is not a man (Numbers 23:19; Hosea 11:9; Romans 1:22-23), and that He has always (eternally) existed as the all-powerful God (Psalm 90:2; 102:12, 25-27; Isaiah 40:28; 43:10; 1 Timothy 1:17).

By contrast, the LDS Church teaches that God the Father was once a man like us who progressed to become a God and has a body of flesh and bone (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22). It affirms Joseph Smith’s teaching that God is “an exalted being” who “was once a man like us,” and Lorenzo Snow’s statement,“As man is, God once was; as God is, man may be”(Gospel Principles [2009], 275, 279; Presidents of the Church Student Manual [2003], 89; Teachings of Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith [2011], 71).

3. Are Jesus, Satan, and all mankind spirit brothers?

The Bible teaches and orthodox Christians through the ages have always believed that Jesus is the unique Son of God, the only human being who came down from heaven to become a man (John 3:31; 13:3; 16:28; 17:5). As God, Jesus Christ made everything, including all spiritual powers such as the angels as well as Satan, who rebelled against Him (Psalm 148:2-5; John 1:3; Colossians 1:16). Human beings start to exist at the beginning of their physical lives (Genesis 1:26-27; 2:7; Job 38:4-7).

By contrast, the LDS Church teaches that Jesus Christ, humans, angels, and fallen spirits including Satan are all eternal beings that were never created and that are all spirit brothers and sisters. In particular, Christ and Lucifer (Satan) were two spirit brothers; Christ supported Heavenly Father’s plan while Lucifer did not (Doctrine and Covenants 93:21-33; Gospel Principles [2009], 9-10; Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith [1998], 355; “I Have a Question,” Ensign, June 1986).

These three examples clearly show Mormonism is not Christian for more examples go to for 7 more crucial examples why Mormons are not Christians.

http://mit.irr.org/mormonism-christian-2

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#26013 May 26, 2013
concerned in Egypt wrote:
<quoted text>
It is very sad for you that all you do is engage in personal attacks on those who believe LDS (Mormons) are not Christians.
It is always self evident to all those who are investigating the claims of LDS that if the adherents of LDS doctrine can't defend their beliefs with evidence biblical and historical and can only resort to name calling their faith is not worth looking into.
So your continual name calling, and your inability to defend your faith with rational logical evidcence is a testimony that your faith is false.
Thank you for proving that those who claim that Mormons are not Christians are Posting the TRUTH.
Stop lying.
concerned in Egypt

Copenhagen, Denmark

#26014 May 26, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop lying.
Pathetic just more name calling

Again to all who are reading along I have posted above factual verifiable facts that show Mormons are not Christians and again this is the best the so called Mormon can offer "stop lying".

Sportmouse stop being so pathetic

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Utah town struggles after teens charged in girl... 9 hr commenters 1
News $50K reward for capture of fugitive polygamist ... 10 hr Jennifer 14
Review: Haaga Mattress (Nov '15) 19 hr Chalrae 14
Prostitutes In Valley Fair Mall.. (Oct '08) 19 hr Colleen 53
News Opponents urge Utah lawmakers to drop 'weird, u... 19 hr Raymond 2
News Pair accused of smuggling rare Brazilian snake (Jan '14) 19 hr Ohymon 20
News Opposing sides in Mormon rift unite for survey ... Feb 25 Lynette 17

Salt Lake City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance