Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 Full story: CNN 32,002

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Full Story

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#25721 May 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Nomo's first reply was to this summery of mine of the mother goddess..
We know idol worship was a huge no-no on God's list of bad things not to do and the first to be spoken against in the ten commandments. I believe there are more laws for idol worship than anything else but don't quote me on that.
Than we have the mother god worship which was really big 2000 years ago. Even the early church in Rome set a high priority on the 'mother' of Jesus that usurped worship of God the Father through Jesus.
Even parts of Judaism has long ancient ties to a mother god acknowledgement.
That fact also remains that in nearly any society on earth that we dig up and learn of, there is evidence for male and female deity worship.
So just saying just an opinion so don't address what I said as actual fact Dana :)
Nomo originally asked WITHOUT CLAIRIFICATION:
So...what's her name??
Yes, you rambled about nothing when the topic was the LDS teaching about a Heavenly Mother. No one here gave a crap about you diatribe about Rome, etc. The real topic didn't need clarification, what is the name of the LDS Heavenly Mother? She was trying to keep it on topic.
So I responded with a list of ancient names she has been called.
Before she could respond, you jumped in for your wanna-be girlfriend and stated YOUR OPINION of what she meant saying..
"She wasn't asking what the myths of ancient cultures called her. She is asking that why a church lead by prophets, seers, and revelators can't give us the name of their "Heavenly Mother"?"
The fact is that isn't what she was asking. That is what YOU CLAIMED was what she meant. All she asked was "So...what's her name??"
Yes, you continued BSing to avoid the real question because you knew there wasn't an answer.
Nomo didn't know Mormons didn't have a name for her. That is why she asked an actual honest non-sarcastic question..."So...what's her name??" because Nomo wasn't aware the Mormons don't have a name for her. She thought they did.
Bullshit. She knew the answer before she asked. She wanted to see what BS you would come up with to defend the church or try to again sidetrack the conversation, like this claim she didn't know the answer. But, I'll prove it:

NoMo, Am I correct?

You are so desperate at times, it's pathetic.

Marysville, CA

#25722 May 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...oh yes...you have certifiably proved that of yourself beyond any reasonable doubt...
Mormon missionaries stalking you so you claimed...sexually ogling your daughter(s)...you hiding from them and where do you move? TO FRICKING UTAH!!!!!!!!!!TO THE WORLD OF MORMONDOM FILLED WITH STALKING MORMON MISSIONARIES READY TO OGLE YOUR DAUGHTERS AGAIN LIKE IT HAPPENED IN TEXAS....and you willingly put them in jeopardy of their safety and well being...fricking certified psycho is right! You should have had your own self locked up! Yeah you know psycho you are psycho!
Going a little Carol isn't going to save you either.

Marysville, CA

#25723 May 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You ignorant, pathetic, fake wannabe ex-mo liar. I listened to lifelong Mormons in Sunday school and priesthood debate if the WoW was a commandment. I listened to many in and out of church for decades state it was or wasn't a commandment DEPENDING if you were a temple goer or not. They ate meat all the time, they liked their caffeine drinks and they justified not following the WoW because they claimed it was a commandment. It was a choice factor.
You stupid pathetic retard, I never looked into the matter because I wasn't a member. So I believed what most members claimed to be true was true from churches in Oklahoma to Alaska. So of course I had a belief the WoW wasn't a commandment because the scripture I had read said it wasn't. I like many, many other Mormons was unaware leaders had said it had became a commandment.
So the next time you want to put your brain in retard gear to say a bunch of crap and lies of what I didn't say, be sure to include all I stated, not just what you want to make a lie about.
By the way, being uninformed doesn't make anyone a liar. I know your retard thinking causes you to think such an idiotic thing but as usual you're wrong. You helped me to understand the Wow had been given over to being a commandment and I admitted what you said was true.
So the fact you wish to use your retard thinking to claim I purposefully lied about something is another lie for Jesus on your part.
Anything else?
The only Mormons who don't know the WoW is a commandment is idiot Mormons. The whole 33 yrs I was a member I was never taught it was anything else, period. The only time members try to BS about the WoW not being a commandment is to try to justify Joseph Smith not keeping it. Although he did excommunicated people for breaking it himself.

I say you statement is total BS. Total.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#25724 May 15, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
There was never a black member in our ward the whole time he was Bishop. Failed again.
Yes, you failed again. You failed to show how the ward not having a black member equals your dad a racist.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming he wasn't. From what you have claimed though I don't see signs that he was a racist. Maybe a bigot? Possibly. He was a member when the church didn't accept blacks into the priesthood and he may of had a hard time as many Mormons accepting the revelation blacks could then hold the priesthood. But the fact that he remained active to his death would insinuate to some degree he accepted Kimball's change in policy.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25725 May 15, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you rambled about nothing when the topic was the LDS teaching about a Heavenly Mother. No one here gave a crap about you diatribe about Rome, etc. The real topic didn't need clarification, what is the name of the LDS Heavenly Mother? She was trying to keep it on
My rambling was a match to your rambling you idiot..lol. You started the topic by making a link. I agreed it was a good question. Nomo asked what her name was...fricking fruit cake..lol.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25726 May 15, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
Bullshit. She knew the answer before she asked. She wanted to see what BS you would come up with to defend the church or try to again sidetrack the conversation, like this claim she didn't know the answer. But, I'll prove it:
NoMo, Am I correct?
You are so desperate at times, it's pathetic.
lol....can't wait for her reply. If she admits she knew the answer, I stand correct when I said her question was stupid because she knew the answer already that there was no name for her. On the other hand, if she says it was an honest question that she didn't know the answer to, I'm still right that I missed it she was asking one of her only honestly asked questions and so did you...lolol....

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25727 May 15, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Going a little Carol isn't going to save you either.
Save me? Save me from what? Her psycho lunacy and your lies for Jesus?
In Texas she stated she feared/was scared for her life and well being and her daughters lives and well being from Mormon missionaries she said were stalking her and her daughters and sexually ogling her daughter(s).
So what does she do? SHE MOVES TO FRICKING MORMONDOM! Thats as psycho of a child endangerment move a fricking sad sack case of a parent should ever of made a decision to do. And you support and applaud her re-endangering her daughters to thousands of Mormon missionaries, active and non-active. And you think that was just the smartest thing she could have done and you stick up for her in having done it.
Why am I not surprised at your pathetic position applauding her re-endangering her children's welfare. Your as psycho as she is.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25728 May 15, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
The only Mormons who don't know the WoW is a commandment is idiot Mormons. The whole 33 yrs I was a member I was never taught it was anything else, period. The only time members try to BS about the WoW not being a commandment is to try to justify Joseph Smith not keeping it. Although he did excommunicated people for breaking it himself.
I say you statement is total BS. Total.
I know many Mormons that don't believe the WoW is a commandment, even if it's taught it is. And you're the worst person to be speaking of the WoW and it's meaning as you broke it from an early age.
I never read of Young excommunicating people for breaking the WoW. Some more of your lies for Jesus. Young broke the WoW himself and admitted it. He admitted Emma and Smith broke it after Smith revealed it. But Smith didn't break anything and neither did young because it was fully taught as a commandment.
You better read Nibley's comments and these were made in 1979.
http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/...

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25729 May 15, 2013
That was...lol

"...because it wasn't fully taught as a commandment."

Location hidden

#25730 May 16, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol....can't wait for her reply. If she admits she knew the answer, I stand correct when I said her question was stupid because she knew the answer already that there was no name for her. On the other hand, if she says it was an honest question that she didn't know the answer to, I'm still right that I missed it she was asking one of her only honestly asked questions and so did you...lolol....
Can't wait..? Seriously???
The only thing you prove is you have no life, once again.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25731 May 16, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't wait..? Seriously???
The only thing you prove is you have no life, once again.
I have proven I have no life?...lol....coming from you way too fricking funny....lol.

Marysville, CA

#25732 May 16, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I know many Mormons that don't believe the WoW is a commandment, even if it's taught it is. And you're the worst person to be speaking of the WoW and it's meaning as you broke it from an early age.
Well according to you, I didn't break anything because it wasn't a commandment. And this forum isn't a debate on whether I was a great member or not. It has nothing to do with the truthfulness of Mormonism.
I never read of Young excommunicating people for breaking the WoW. Some more of your lies for Jesus.
It would be if I had mentioned him. I didn't. More of your deceptions for the cult.
Young broke the WoW himself and admitted it. He admitted Emma and Smith broke it after Smith revealed it. But Smith didn't break anything and neither did young because it was fully taught as a commandment.
It was commandment enough that he excomunicated people for breaking it:

Hypocrisy

Orson Pratt once quipped: "I do not wonder that the world say that the Latter-day Saints do not believe their own revelations. Why? Because we do not practice them" (Journal of Discourses, vol. 17, p. 104).

We have shown that Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon church, did not keep the Word of Wisdom, yet, according to Joseph Fielding Smith, the Prophet Joseph Smith taught that a member of the church could not hold an office unless he observed it: "... Joseph Smith, who presided, gave his decision as follows:'No official member in this Church is worthy to hold an office after having the word of wisdom properly taught him; and he, the official member, neglecting to comply with or obey it.' This decision was confirmed by unanimous vote" (Essentials in Church History, p. 169).

It is certainly perplexing that Joseph Smith could break the Word of Wisdom and yet retain his position as president of the church. The thing that makes this especially strange is that when a member of the church did not observe the Word of Wisdom, this was sometimes used against him if he was tried for his fellowship. Leonard J. Arrington stated: "Moreover, when a council at Far West tried a high church official (David Whitmer) for his fellowship, the first of the five charges against him was that he did not observe the Word of Wisdom" (Brigham Young University Studies, Winter 1959, p. 40). As we have already shown, when Almon W. Babbitt was charged with not observing the Word of Wisdom, his only defense was that he "had taken the liberty to break the Word of Wisdom, from the example of President Joseph Smith, Jun., and others."

http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech18.ht...

Marysville, CA

#25733 May 16, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you failed again. You failed to show how the ward not having a black member equals your dad a racist.
No, I have proven that again, you are ignorant in your claims. It was you who printed the fantasy that:

"If he was a racist as you claim, he must of been a really nice racist eh? Seems he held callings where he served all colours and went out of his way to help people of all colours. I'm thinking you're dad wasn't the racist you claim he was. A real racist doesn't do the things he did for people of other colours and ethnic backgrounds for as long as he did them while being a lifelong Mormon."

It didn't happen.

Marysville, CA

#25734 May 16, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You laughed at her comment like it was the first time you heard it! You didn't respond as if you'd had known it all your life and it was old news. Old news isn't funny to most people.
And I wasn't telling you how to post ignoramus. I was saying how your post should have went for someone that had known to Mormons Eden was in Missouri for ALL THEIR LIFE.
"Eden is in Jackson County, MO. LOL!!!!"
I'm betting you know next to nothing about Mormonism except for what you've been reading on anti-Mormon websites. I'm still trying to figure out how your father and you, both racists you claim, held church callings.
Keep trying, but it has nothing to do with the truthfulness of Mormonism.

Location hidden

#25735 May 16, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep trying, but it has nothing to do with the truthfulness of Mormonism.
He's hoping somehow for ken doll status.. He thinks only gods deserve sex for eternity with endless nameless women.

Location hidden

#25736 May 16, 2013
There was an article recently, I think in the Deseret News,around Mothers Day. It was stories of the old lizards in the COB and their mothers..not a single one of the women were named, throughout the article.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25737 May 16, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well according to you, I didn't break anything because it wasn't a commandment. And this forum isn't a debate on whether I was a great member or not. It has nothing to do with the truthfulness of Mormonism.
Actually our debates have revolved around you claiming you were such an attentive, active Mormon for 30 years and you knew some of everything about Mormonism and that's why you have claimed you knew what you were talking about when debating Mormonism.
And these debates have everything to do with the truthfulness of Mormon history and how their either lied about or spoken correctly of. You strive to lie and I strive to correct.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25738 May 16, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
It would be if I had mentioned him. I didn't. More of your deceptions for the cult.
You're right. You stated Smith excommunicated people for breaking the WoW that wasn't a commandment that even he and Emma didn't observe all the time. Liar for Jesus. Smith would have had to of excommunicate himself first before he excommunicated anyone else.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#25739 May 16, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
It was commandment enough that he excomunicated people for breaking it:
Hypocrisy
Orson Pratt once quipped: "I do not wonder that the world say that the Latter-day Saints do not believe their own revelations. Why? Because we do not practice them" (Journal of Discourses, vol. 17, p. 104).
We have shown that Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon church, did not keep the Word of Wisdom, yet, according to Joseph Fielding Smith, the Prophet Joseph Smith taught that a member of the church could not hold an office unless he observed it: "... Joseph Smith, who presided, gave his decision as follows:'No official member in this Church is worthy to hold an office after having the word of wisdom properly taught him; and he, the official member, neglecting to comply with or obey it.' This decision was confirmed by unanimous vote" (Essentials in Church History, p. 169).
It is certainly perplexing that Joseph Smith could break the Word of Wisdom and yet retain his position as president of the church. The thing that makes this especially strange is that when a member of the church did not observe the Word of Wisdom, this was sometimes used against him if he was tried for his fellowship. Leonard J. Arrington stated: "Moreover, when a council at Far West tried a high church official (David Whitmer) for his fellowship, the first of the five charges against him was that he did not observe the Word of Wisdom" (Brigham Young University Studies, Winter 1959, p. 40). As we have already shown, when Almon W. Babbitt was charged with not observing the Word of Wisdom, his only defense was that he "had taken the liberty to break the Word of Wisdom, from the example of President Joseph Smith, Jun., and others."
http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech18.ht...
You see hypocrisy because you're looking from the outside in and with limited understanding and reasoning for why things were the way they were then.
Did you know even hot soup and hot chocolate was forbidden at one time? That ALL hot drinks, even hot water flavoured or not was frowned against. Wine wasn't considered a strong drink by many members so they still drank it. And most members ate meat without being observant of the sparingly part.
The WoW was a work in progress in those early decades. Than the 1900s came along and "hot drinks" took on a complete different definition. Now today hot drinks has been levied at caffeinated drinks hot or cold.
So you can just claim hypocrisy. Or one can also understand the WoW seems not to be totally understood any more today than it was understood in Smith's time.

Location hidden

#25740 May 16, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You see hypocrisy because you're looking from the outside in and with limited understanding and reasoning for why things were the way they were then.
Did you know even hot soup and hot chocolate was forbidden at one time? That ALL hot drinks, even hot water flavoured or not was frowned against. Wine wasn't considered a strong drink by many members so they still drank it. And most members ate meat without being observant of the sparingly part.
The WoW was a work in progress in those early decades. Than the 1900s came along and "hot drinks" took on a complete different definition. Now today hot drinks has been levied at caffeinated drinks hot or cold.
So you can just claim hypocrisy. Or one can also understand the WoW seems not to be totally understood any more today than it was understood in Smith's time.
I've read the stories of married couples who weren't given their temple recommends because they admitted to having oral sex..tell them the WOW is optional.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 6 min TonganGurl 23,444
Baptism of Dead 7 hr Steve from Delta ... 1
Magic Players 8 hr Van 1
last post wins! (Jul '11) 21 hr Trunketeer 341
Review: Ultimate Combat Training Center (May '13) Tue elif ekin 4
Ebay's Absolute Favoritism of Buyers Tue Trunketeer 2
Are vitamins from USANA worth price? (Mar '08) Tue EdmarDee 216
Salt Lake City Dating
Find my Match

Salt Lake City People Search