Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32099 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#23066 Apr 5, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't need permission from BYU scholars to vindicate what is clearly stated by the LDS leaders. They don't even represent the LDS church. It says so on their web sites.
<quoted text>
Every member of the LDS church has a copy of the D&C. All they have to do is read what it says and then they are held guilty for not following it. That is what the D&C is, a book of revelations.
<quoted text>
If they have a D&C, it has been given to them.
Pathetic, truly pathetic, and just down right ignorant to boot.
...and you're a fricking pathetic bald faced liar. There is not a single solitary verse in any Mormon scripture THAT COMMANDS ALL MEMBERS TO PARTAKE IN POLYGAMY for their salvation as you claimed in an out right twisted lie.
You stated in a pathetic twisted deceitful lie, "That Mormonism taught Polygamy was essential to your salvation?" It was never taught nor commanded as you factually stated in a twisted pathetic lie that polygamy was an essential part to every member's salvation.
Your a fricking out right liar. And it doesn't have to be that way if you used honesty instead of deceit.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#23067 Apr 5, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, what's your point? I've been saying this all along.
<quoted text>
Yes, he did when he talked about all marriages in the next life.
<quoted text>
That is exactly what Jesus said about everybody worthy of the resurrection to heaven.
<quoted text>
No, he actually said: "they are like angels". That isn't an opinion, that is a quote.
<quoted text>
And God destroyed them for their wickedness. LOL!!!
<quoted text>
I say you should stop smoking crack, or being so simple minded.
That's your mature come back? I'm smoking crack? How old are you? mentally 13 maybe?
The angels were destroyed for marrying. No one was destroyed for marrying. They were destroyed for being wicked. So the point remains not all angels are single as you tell God that is what he has to think as you think. You don't know the status of "angels" in the next life.
And Jesus didn't referenced "the next life" so you lie again. Jesus spoke of the resurrection. Jesus didn't elaborate about "the next life", he just referenced a part of the next life called the resurrection. And you can't even get that simple piece of scripture correct without twisting it to mean what wasn't even said or written.
Until you read what the scholars have to say about this and then form your own opinion, your opinion will be as it is.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#23068 Apr 5, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are just trying to muddy the waters in hopes you can pretend you are right. No Surprise there.
lol...deepen your quest to ask more questions when you read and the broader the perspective you will have to understand possibilities of what you read.

First, you need to understand the Sadducees asking the question had absolutely no belief in a resurrection or an afterlife. So how Jesus answered the question to a group of priests that wouldn't believe in any answer Jesus gave is important to consider. Follow?
This is why Jesus's first answer was they didn't know the power of God because they were denying it and didn't know it. They thought they had the power of God to trick a man that was God. Understand a bit how Jesus was seeing where this conversation wouldn't go?
Jesus's attempt to teach the Sadducees something they refused to believe in would have no effect.
So Jesus told them something they wouldn't understand because they didn't understand in marriage one can find the power of God. The Sadducees believed at death, all things came to an end and nothing existed after wards, including marriage. But the Sadducees understood the Pharisees and Jews entertained not only a belief in an afterlife, but they also believed so as it happened here on earth, so as it would happen in the afterlife, including the belief of eternal marriages. Thus the reason for such disdain and disbelief about the after life and marriage continuing on in the afterlife by the Sadducees. Thus the reason why Jesus knew they didn't understand the power of God. Follow?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#23069 Apr 5, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
So why bring up single members? Just to try to sidestep the issue? When are you going to stop chasing your tail?
The standard to be blameless is to be the husband of just one wife. That is the standard God wanted his people to live by from the beginning starting with Adam and Eve. Rome had nothing to do with it.
Your essential opinion is that God detests polygamy. You have said this in many ways.
The standard to be blameless would have been for any church office. Unless you wish to state that Jesus was cool with an active adulterer holding the office of an apostle or seventy, etc? Is that your opinion? That only bishops and deacons had to be blameless but all others didn't have to be blameless?
A person could be single or have one wife or have several wives and still be found blameless according to the actions of their character. Understand?
My point remains that you didn't consider in your quest to prove monogamy and not polygamy among early disciples in Jesus's church, that they may actually have existed in it.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#23070 Apr 5, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Suffering and sin are two different things. Everybody suffers. I don't see any rejoicing for sin in those verse.
A weakness in the Bible is usually described as an area where one sins or one has sinned. Look it up. Paul was stating he rejoiced and boasted of his weaknesses because they helped him to become more strong in obeying the Lord's will and commandments.

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me,“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#23071 Apr 5, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You stated... "I know, I keep getting it right. That's why I'll never stop debating scriptures with Mormons, they don't." ...let me remind you that you debate Mormon history pro and con that isn't scriptural and you claim "I keep getting it right" while also debating the interpretation of scriptures.
So I did follow the conversation. Your reference was to EVERYTHING you debate that is scriptural and non-scriptural because you have declared over and over how right you are and that you only speak the truth. Get it now?
Joseph Smith whoring around has nothing to do with scripture.

Marysville, CA

#23072 Apr 5, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
...and you're a fricking pathetic bald faced liar. There is not a single solitary verse in any Mormon scripture THAT COMMANDS ALL MEMBERS TO PARTAKE IN POLYGAMY for their salvation as you claimed in an out right twisted lie.
You stated in a pathetic twisted deceitful lie, "That Mormonism taught Polygamy was essential to your salvation?" It was never taught nor commanded as you factually stated in a twisted pathetic lie that polygamy was an essential part to every member's salvation.
Your a fricking out right liar. And it doesn't have to be that way if you used honesty instead of deceit.
Apparently reading comprehension is a problem with you:
D&C 132:
1 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you my servant Joseph, that inasmuch as you have inquired of my hand to know and understand wherein I, the Lord, justified my servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as also Moses, David and Solomon, my servants, as touching the principle and doctrine of their having many awives and bconcubines—

2 Behold, and lo, I am the Lord thy God, and will answer thee as touching this matter.

3 Therefore, aprepare thy heart to receive and bobey the instructions which I am about to give unto you; for all those who have this law revealed unto them must obey the same.

4 For behold, I reveal unto you a new and an everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant and be permitted to enter into my glory.

6 And as pertaining to the new and everlasting covenant, it was instituted for the fulness of my glory; and he that receiveth a fulness thereof must and shall abide the law, or he shall be damned, saith the Lord God.

58 Now, as touching the law of the apriesthood, there are many things pertaining thereunto.

59 Verily, if a man be called of my Father, as was aAaron, by mine own voice, and by the voice of him that bsent me, and I have endowed him with the ckeys of the power of this priesthood, if he do anything in my name, and according to my law and by my word, he will not commit dsin, and I will justify him.

60 Let no one, therefore, set on my servant Joseph; for I will justify him; for he shall do the sacrifice which I require at his hands for his transgressions, saith the Lord your God.

61 And again, as pertaining to the law of the priesthood—if any man espouse a virgin, and desire to espouse aanother, and the first give her consent, and if he espouse the second, and they are virgins, and have vowed to no other man, then is he justified; he cannot commit adultery for they are given unto him; for he cannot commit adultery with that that belongeth unto him and to no one else.

62 And if he have aten virgins given unto him by this law, he cannot commit adultery, for they belong to him, and they are given unto him; therefore is he justified.

64 And again, verily, verily, I say unto you, if any man have a wife, who holds the keys of this power, and he teaches unto her the law of my priesthood, as pertaining to these things, then shall she believe and administer unto him, or she shall be destroyed, saith the Lord your God; for I will destroy her; for I will magnify my name upon all those who receive and abide in my law.

Marysville, CA

#23073 Apr 5, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...deepen your quest to ask more questions when you read and the broader the perspective you will have to understand possibilities of what you read.
First, you need to understand the Sadducees asking the question had absolutely no belief in a resurrection or an afterlife. So how Jesus answered the question to a group of priests that wouldn't believe in any answer Jesus gave is important to consider. Follow?
This is why Jesus's first answer was they didn't know the power of God because they were denying it and didn't know it. They thought they had the power of God to trick a man that was God. Understand a bit how Jesus was seeing where this conversation wouldn't go?
Jesus's attempt to teach the Sadducees something they refused to believe in would have no effect.
So Jesus told them something they wouldn't understand because they didn't understand in marriage one can find the power of God. The Sadducees believed at death, all things came to an end and nothing existed after wards, including marriage. But the Sadducees understood the Pharisees and Jews entertained not only a belief in an afterlife, but they also believed so as it happened here on earth, so as it would happen in the afterlife, including the belief of eternal marriages. Thus the reason for such disdain and disbelief about the after life and marriage continuing on in the afterlife by the Sadducees. Thus the reason why Jesus knew they didn't understand the power of God. Follow?
Jesus clearly taught them that there would be a resurrection, but we wouldn't be married in it. He completely answered their question.

Marysville, CA

#23074 Apr 5, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your mature come back? I'm smoking crack? How old are you? mentally 13 maybe?
The angels were destroyed for marrying. No one was destroyed for marrying. They were destroyed for being wicked. So the point remains not all angels are single as you tell God that is what he has to think as you think. You don't know the status of "angels" in the next life.
And Jesus didn't referenced "the next life" so you lie again. Jesus spoke of the resurrection. Jesus didn't elaborate about "the next life", he just referenced a part of the next life called the resurrection. And you can't even get that simple piece of scripture correct without twisting it to mean what wasn't even said or written.
Until you read what the scholars have to say about this and then form your own opinion, your opinion will be as it is.
"but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and the resurrection from the dead" That "age" being the next life after the resurrection.

Keep trying.

Marysville, CA

#23075 Apr 5, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
A weakness in the Bible is usually described as an area where one sins or one has sinned. Look it up. Paul was stating he rejoiced and boasted of his weaknesses because they helped him to become more strong in obeying the Lord's will and commandments.
2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me,“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
The verses you gave referred to suffering, not weakness.

As for 2 Corinthians 12:9, he was talking about his thorn in the flesh:

Paul speaks of a “thorn in the flesh” in 2 Corinthians 12:7. He calls it “a messenger of Satan” that had a purpose of “torment.” Many explanations have been put forward, but whether Paul is referring to a physical, spiritual, or emotional affliction—or something else entirely—has never been answered with satisfaction. Since he was not talking of a literal thorn, he must have been speaking metaphorically. Some of the more popular theories of the thorn’s interpretation include temptation, a chronic eye problem, malaria, migraines, epilepsy, and a speech disability. Some even say that the thorn refers to a person, such as Alexander the coppersmith, who did Paul “a great deal of harm”(2 Timothy 4:14). No one can say for sure what Paul’s thorn in the flesh was, but it was a source of real pain in the apostle’s life.

Paul clues us in concerning the thorn’s purpose:“To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations.” So, God’s goal in allowing the thorn in the flesh was to keep Paul humble. Anyone who had encountered Jesus and was commissioned personally by Him (Acts 9:2-8) would, in his natural state, become “puffed up.” Add to that the fact that Paul was moved by the Holy Spirit to write much of the New Testament, and it is easy to see how Paul could become “haughty”(KJV) or “exalted above measure”(NKJV) or “too proud”(NCV).

You can't say for certainty that it was sin.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Paul-thorn-flesh....

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#23076 Apr 5, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Joseph Smith whoring around has nothing to do with scripture.
You say that God's prepares favor for people who follow his command...

Abraham,
Isaac,
Solomon,
David,
Saul,
Jacob "The man known as Isreal",
Every Jewish man whose brother died, who had no son, who followed the Levirate Law,

All men who you say follow the law

All the men who were in New Testament lived in Polygamous Nation... that would continue for another thousand years.

Indeed in the Bible the Church had commanded for certain positions to not be polygamous.

Do you refuse to acknowledge the Biblical figures that worshiped God polygamous/levirate laws?

Were they whoring also?

Are you an atheist?

Or, are you just trying to rewrite scripture and history with your own translations?

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23077 Apr 5, 2013
Excuse me

*The Scriptures say that God's prepares favor for people who follow his command...

You definitely don't say it or agree with Biblical Scriptures.
concerned in Egypt

Aberdeen, UK

#23078 Apr 6, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
You say that God's prepares favor for people who follow his command...
Abraham,
Isaac,
Solomon,
David,
Saul,
Jacob "The man known as Isreal",
Every Jewish man whose brother died, who had no son, who followed the Levirate Law,
All men who you say follow the law
All the men who were in New Testament lived in Polygamous Nation... that would continue for another thousand years.
Indeed in the Bible the Church had commanded for certain positions to not be polygamous.
Do you refuse to acknowledge the Biblical figures that worshiped God polygamous/levirate laws?
Were they whoring also?
Are you an atheist?
Or, are you just trying to rewrite scripture and history with your own translations?
Paul inspired by the Holy Spirit an Apostle of God who was Commissioned by Jesus himself no less on the road to Damascus to be his servant, who wrote the word of God in the first Century AD as follows

1Ti 3:2 Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,
1Ti 3:12 A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well.
Tit 1:6 An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient.

Joseph Smith, Brigham Young clearly were false prophets as their lives as Polygamists contradicted the word of God.

Thus the Mormon Faith is not Christian, it is abhorrent and found false in light of God's Holy Word.

All that follow these men's teachings will be lead astray and from the truth of God that brings freedom

Truth Matters Joseph Smith and Brigham Young contradicted it at every turn.
concerned in Egypt

Aberdeen, UK

#23079 Apr 6, 2013
If you are seeking truth about the LDS, Mormon Sect.
If you want access to verifiable footnoted sources that you can verify yourself easily.

Then these sites are for you as thety all document their assertions with EVIDENCE Biblical Historical and make it easy to verify.

Because the Truth Matters not vial name callers.

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.asp...
http://www.leaderu.com/offices/michaeldavis/d...
http://www.mrm.org/
http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/
http://www.utlm.org/
http://irr.org/
http://carm.org/
http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/search/colle...
http://www.spotlightministries.org.uk/index.h...
concerned in Egypt

Aberdeen, UK

#23080 Apr 6, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Like Dana, you need to consider the implications of what you say and what it means in other contexts.
Not a single book in the old testament or new testament states what is called "the Christian Bible" is God's holy word. Never stated, never written.
Also, it was never stated nor never written by God through a prophet or by a prophet's opinion that the holy words of God that God has been giving to mankind for thousands of years, it was never written and never stated that his holy words would one day be compressed into a book with a beginning and an ending and the word of God would cease to be.
Now the devil might teach such a concept to those like you who see through a dark glass, that all God has to say should be bound in a single volume called a Bible, but God never taught for thousands of years and would never teach now such a concept at all.
God's word's have no limitation to being or existing. They neither can be contained in a single book called the Bible. God taught no such thing. Men teach that thing, not God. Learn the difference.
Limiting God's word is to limit the power of God. You seem to have no problem doing that, limiting God's power. One day you'll have to explain that to God, how you stuck him and his words in a book with a beginning and an ending.
Well once again yous setup a straw man a false assertion of what is stated.

A statement no one has made and then proceed to take it down.

NO One is saying the Cannon is closed.

What we are saying is that if anyone should come along and claim new revelation that should be added then Christians are called to test these claims in light of revealed Truth that has come before it. I.E. the Bible.

That is exactly what the Breans did with Apostle Paul's claims.

The tested his Word in light of the Bible the Scriptures that proceeded him. What we call the old testament today.

Remember the Bereans had seen Paul do many miracles even raise the dead.

Put Paul states they searched the scriptures daily to see if what he claimed was true.
Andddd Paul said they were of more NOBLE blood Character for doing so.

So When Bible believing Christians test LDS claims of doctrine and revelation in light of Scripture as God commands in his Word as Paul commended the Bereans for doing we find it contradicts the teachings of the Bible at ever major doctrine there is from the Nature of God to Slavation from A to Z

Mormons are not Christians the Bible tells us so.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23081 Apr 6, 2013
concerned in Egypt wrote:
If you are seeking truth about the LDS, Mormon Sect.
If you want access to verifiable footnoted sources that you can verify yourself easily.
Then these sites are for you as thety all document their assertions with EVIDENCE Biblical Historical and make it easy to verify.
Because the Truth Matters not vial name callers.
http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.asp...
http://www.leaderu.com/offices/michaeldavis/d...
http://www.mrm.org/
http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/
http://www.utlm.org/
http://irr.org/
http://carm.org/
http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/search/colle...
http://www.spotlightministries.org.uk/index.h...
Sorry I don't read hate sources... I read things that allow ppl to read and analyze for themselves. Documented historical sources, etc.

Marysville, CA

#23082 Apr 6, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I don't read hate sources... I read things that allow ppl to read and analyze for themselves. Documented historical sources, etc.
You won't read anything you don't have permission to read. At age 66 one would think you would have outgrown the need to ask permission from anybody about anything.
I think it is all just an excuse for you to avoid the truth, which is what you really fear.

Marysville, CA

#23083 Apr 6, 2013
Mormon leaders are fooling themselves. Yes, some of the women in the LDS church want the authority because they are sick and tired of the men speaking for them.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56114167-78...

Marysville, CA

#23084 Apr 6, 2013
Comment to the article:

1stedition
"There's something really sad and disturbing about women who insist that they love their subservient position and wouldn't give it up for anything."

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#23087 Apr 6, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You won't read anything you don't have permission to read. At age 66 one would think you would have outgrown the need to ask permission from anybody about anything.
I think it is all just an excuse for you to avoid the truth, which is what you really fear.
There you go guessing again about my personal life... you have no way of knowing me. Your tactics of diverting what you don't want to answer are obvious.

What is there to fear? Death? The afterlife, nah, I look forward to it.

You are just diverting answering to Biblical facts and History, there is no way around it except to use your diversion tactics.

History is history. It happened buddy, like it or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Opponents urge Utah lawmakers to drop 'weird, u... 1 hr Magic Utah Uwear 1
News Opposing sides in Mormon rift unite for survey ... 5 hr tongangodz 16
Need Content? Articles, Blog Posts, Newsletters... 14 hr Quality Web Content 1
Review: IloveKickboxing West Valley City Wed Carmen 22
Wake Up Mormons ( REPENT ) ( REPENT ) Wed Mayra 6
News $50K reward for capture of fugitive polygamist ... Feb 21 Becky 13
News Utah Republican argues against equal pay for wo... Feb 21 Donna 2

Salt Lake City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance