Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CNN

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Comments
20,281 - 20,300 of 32,001 Comments Last updated Friday Jul 25

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You shouldn't talk with your mouth full. Pull you sons penis out first.
You're obsession to me only prove that I own your whoring butt. Go hit the streets, slut. LOL!!!
Hey there darling. Do me a favor. Don't let her drag you to her own pathetic level. We both know you are better than that <3

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>Hey there darling. Do me a favor. Don't let her drag you to her own pathetic level. We both know you are better than that <3
She is such a disgusting beast, but you are right.

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to start digging up bones I think medieval Christianity takes the cake, so lets not even go there. Just take a look at the history of Charlemagne a "champion of Christianity." He is a man whose actions were ultimately condoned by the Christian church of his time when they made him Holy Emperor. This guy had many wives and concubines and forced thousands to convert worship the Christian God or be dispatched to meet him sooner. He fought dozens of battles to expand his empire in the name of Christ who said "My kingdom is not of this world."
Nope, don't even go there.
Bring it up if you wish, I agree 100%. I don't think the Catholic church is the church that Christ created. The church through the centuries was the people who got the message of Christ's salvation through grace, and lived by it. Not some man made organization.
Joseph Smith believed that salvation comes through the grace and mercy of Christ. There is nothing we can do to save ourselves without the grace of Christ. The Bible says we will be judged by our works, but ultimately we are saved through grace. The Bible and Book of Mormon teach it.
If you are judged by your works, you are not saved by the grace of Jesus Christ. The Bible makes this perfectly clear. What you just stated is a contradiction of scripture:

Ephesians 2:8-9 (NASB)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Romans 11:6
But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.

If you are saved by grace, you are saved by it alone.

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
We have the Holy Ghost to give us individual guidance and we have the prophet to give world wide guidance. Like two points in a line, both sources of divine guidance form an arrow directing us back to God.
The fruit of your prophets says otherwise.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Weirdo :p
So as you think, so as you speak.
So as you see, so as you are.
Just saying :)

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
See mormon.org
"All members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles are apostles and prophets."
That is what they claim, but the reality is that there is only one prophet at any time in charge of the LDS church. Only one man who can "officially" receive revelation concerning church policy.
They are both apostles and prophets. We don't just have a prophet at the top and apostles underneath.
Sure you do:
First: The prophet is the only man who speaks for the Lord in everything.

In section 132 verse 7 of the Doctrine and Covenants [D&C 132:7] the Lord speaks of the prophet—the president—and says:

“There is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the keys of this priesthood are conferred.”

Then in section 21 verses 4–6 [D&C 21:4–6], the Lord states:

“Wherefore, meaning the church, thou shalt give heed unto all his words and commandments which he shall give unto you as he receiveth them, walking in all holiness before me;

“For his word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth, in all patience and faith.

“For by doing these things the gates of hell shall not prevail against you.”
http://www.lds.org/liahona/1981/06/fourteen-f...
Prophets were not standard procedure in the New Testament?
Check out:
Judas and Silas who were prophets Acts 15:32
Ephesians 4:11 shows how Christ called apostles and prophets while he was on the earth.
They were only prophets in the sense that they had the gift of prophecy. They didn't rule the church as Mormonism has it set up today. They didn't dictate policy for the whole church. The Apostles ran the church. They didn't set the rules, they didn't set policy. That is known just by the fact there was two, and not just one over the whole church. There was no "prophet" as the LDS has it defined today.

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

DUMBASS CAROL wrote:
That's how you treat people you think are YOUR FRIEND
Or else there's no such person.
Or else she really is one of your customers and you're hoping nobody contacts that woman and tells her how you're acting toward people you meet in your RELIGIOUS fellowship.
By the fruits you show, INDEED.
Carol, I never once thought of you as a friend, and you didn't order anything, so you can't be considered a customer. I knew who you were the minute I got the letter, sent a copy of it to not ashamed so see could see it also. Your nutjob style of writing gave you away instantly. LOL!!! Waiting to hear from your lawyer, creep.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Carol wasn't a sell, just a Mormon pretending to be leaving the church. The rules don't apply here.
Actually they do under the laws of slander. The person you call Carol in this thread(though I know you won't believe me)her name isn't Carol.
But the real person that belongs to that name, if she is notified of what you have said of her and listing her information, according to what I have read of what you have said about her on a public forum especially with her not knowing about it, she has an instant slander case win against you if it went that way.
Some times there's wisdom in not saying things you'd like to other wise say, just saying.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a CD collection of books about Mormonism that were written in the 1800's early 1900's, now out of copyright. I transcribe then into a .pdf file for people to read. Sold quite a bit of them on ebay a few years back. I don't sell them anymore. I'll send you .pdf files if you want to look at them.
So I'm curious. Why did you quit selling them? In this time era with people hearing more about Mormons than ever before since the presidential election, seems to me you'd be doing better business now than before.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Only in the Old Testament. No one in the New Testament was called "Prophet" ... Prophets were not standard procedure in the New Testament.
The NT disagrees with you, from the web...http://ficotw.org/roleof prophet.html

No exposition of the office of Prophet would be complete without a thorough examination of the actual name "Prophet" in the original language of the Bible. The Hebrew word for Prophet is the word nabi from a root meaning "to bubble forth, as from a fountain," hence "to utter". This Hebrew word is the first and the most generally used for a prophet.

Prophets were immediate organs of God for the communication of his mind and will to men :
De 18:18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. 19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

In New Testament times the Prophetical office was continued. Jesus was referred to as a Prophet:
Lu 13:32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected. 33 Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.
And
Lu 24:18 And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days? 19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people: 20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him. Also
Joh 4:19 The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet. Joh 4:44 For Jesus himself testified, that a prophet hath no honour in his own country.

If we carry over from Old Testament to New Testament, the role of the Prophet is :
a.) to Speak for God
b.) to exhort and direct the body of Christ.
c.) It is also clear that this office is considered high in its order of importance:
1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
d.) When a Prophet speaks in an open congregation his words are to be judged.
1Co 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

e.) There must be distinction made between one who speaks out under the unction of the gift of prophecy and one who is a Prophet. The Prophet is an office. The individual in that office will almost certainly operate in the gift of Prophecy as well as other revelation gifts (word of knowledge, word of wisdom, discernment of spirits) but should not be limited to this. Elijah for example operated in the gift of miracles.
f.) Prophets are not necessarily preachers. It has been assumed by many that any one who preaches is a prophet. While that is certainly possible, it is not a rule.
g.) Prophets are also in control of their gifts and are able to function decently and in order ( this principle applies to all gifts and their use)
1Co 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
i.) The New Testament Prophet is also used to tell individuals of future events and to admonish those persons or individuals with regard to those events.

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. From some of your comments it sounded like you were still selling them.
No, just aggravating the troll. It kills her to think I'm making money off the LDS church. LOL!!!

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
So I'm curious. Why did you quit selling them? In this time era with people hearing more about Mormons than ever before since the presidential election, seems to me you'd be doing better business now than before.
The program that was the gui for the adobe files didn't work in Windows XP or after, and I have just let it go after that. It was also time consuming transcribing those books and some of the books were very pricey, up to $300 for one book.

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually they do under the laws of slander. The person you call Carol in this thread(though I know you won't believe me)her name isn't Carol.
But the real person that belongs to that name, if she is notified of what you have said of her and listing her information, according to what I have read of what you have said about her on a public forum especially with her not knowing about it, she has an instant slander case win against you if it went that way.
Some times there's wisdom in not saying things you'd like to other wise say, just saying.
I've got the right person, that was evident when she started complaining that I hadn't called her. To win in a slander case you have to show actual harm done to the person. My opinions of her doesn't constitute any real world damage. Opinions are not actionable.

Marysville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The NT disagrees with you, from the web...http://ficotw.org/roleof prophet.html
No exposition of the office of Prophet would be complete without a thorough examination of the actual name "Prophet" in the original language of the Bible. The Hebrew word for Prophet is the word nabi from a root meaning "to bubble forth, as from a fountain," hence "to utter". This Hebrew word is the first and the most generally used for a prophet.
Prophets were immediate organs of God for the communication of his mind and will to men :
De 18:18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. 19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.
In New Testament times the Prophetical office was continued. Jesus was referred to as a Prophet:
Lu 13:32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected. 33 Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.
And
Lu 24:18 And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days? 19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people: 20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him. Also
Joh 4:19 The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet. Joh 4:44 For Jesus himself testified, that a prophet hath no honour in his own country.
If we carry over from Old Testament to New Testament, the role of the Prophet is :
a.) to Speak for God
b.) to exhort and direct the body of Christ.
c.) It is also clear that this office is considered high in its order of importance:
1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
d.) When a Prophet speaks in an open congregation his words are to be judged.
1Co 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
e.) There must be distinction made between one who speaks out under the unction of the gift of prophecy and one who is a Prophet. The Prophet is an office. The individual in that office will almost certainly operate in the gift of Prophecy as well as other revelation gifts (word of knowledge, word of wisdom, discernment of spirits) but should not be limited to this. Elijah for example operated in the gift of miracles.
f.) Prophets are not necessarily preachers. It has been assumed by many that any one who preaches is a prophet. While that is certainly possible, it is not a rule.
g.) Prophets are also in control of their gifts and are able to function decently and in order ( this principle applies to all gifts and their use)
1Co 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
i.) The New Testament Prophet is also used to tell individuals of future events and to admonish those persons or individuals with regard to those events.
There is a difference between having the gift of prophecy and being a prophet like Moses, which is what the LDS church is trying to recreate. There was no prophet like Moses in the New Testament. There was no "Prophet" leading the church. 1Co 12:28 is clearly stating that an Apostle is a higher office than Prophet, they are "first".
Danny

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

I'm just here to discredit the another lie created by the devil regarding what the mormons call "the burning of the bosom" as confirmation that the BOM is from God. I'l start by saying that until today I didnt know much regarding the Mormons, therefore I dont belong to their group. I am a protestant evangelical Christian that belongs to a non-denomenational church and have the Bible as God's true Word and only authority. So how to discredit this false feeling created by the devil? I HAVE THIS FEELING MYSELF AND IT IS FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT! I've had it before when in prayer and I've had it all day today after I fasted yesterday. I havent asked for confirmation of anything, yet the Holy Spirit has decided to manifest His presence to me this way. That being said, with all authority in Christ I can say that the feeling Mormons ask for and receive when praying about the BOM is a "dummy" feeling provided by the devil in an attempt to replicate that which is from the Holy Spirit. Turn away from this lie that is Mormonism that masquarades Christ in a book the devil approves of.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Dana Robertson wrote:
They were not Jews. And Jews did not built pyramids.
Really? And that statement comes from you? A real Bible thumper? What exactly according to your opinion of the Bible story were the Israelites doing in Egypt for 400 years? Partying? Building a New Jerusalem? Maybe they beat the Egyptians and were the masters over Egyptians for 400 years?
A new king arose over Egypt, who had not known Joseph. He said to his people, "Look, this people of the sons of Israel is bigger and more numerous than we are. We must have a plan to deal with them, lest they grow even more numerous. If there should be a war, they might join our enemies and fight against us and go up from the land." So they set taskmasters over them, to afflict them with burdensome labor.(Exod 1:8-11)
The only thing we know for a fact that the Egyptians did for thousands of years, was to be architects of some of the most fantastic stone buildings built in the eastern world.
So what kind of burdensome labour do you suppose the Egyptians had the Israelites doing in a slave/master relationship? Give me a fricking break, read the story will you?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you just let us know when you find some. But I won't be holding my breath.
The position has changed on you, not me. If it changes on you again, it'll be my pleasure to let you know :)

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Though I'm still not certain Dana is a male. I will just out of mass opinion agree to call him or her a he for the time being.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

I believe anyone with any logic can see that Google and I are 2 different individuals because of the difference in writing styles and even the timing that the posts come up.

However, Dana is trying to twist this also because he knows I've collected posts, and post #'s that show what kind of person 'he' is.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Dana Robertson wrote:
If you are judged by your works, you are not saved by the grace of Jesus Christ.
If you are saved by grace, you are saved by it alone.
Wrong, NT wrong on both counts.
The NT teaches we will be judged by our faith and works. Not faith only. Not works only.
Here's a few verses from James. The first verse fits your dogma like a perfect glove, just saying :)

22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Salt Lake City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Salt Lake City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Salt Lake City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Salt Lake City