Diamond Net Lost Cause
JAG

United States

#21 Mar 27, 2013
diamondnetfan wrote:
<quoted text>
I also have had their service since it started. I was one of the first 100 customers to sign up. I would never have any other service. I have extended basic cable and its 100 times better than what we had before. More channels And more usable channels. Although the HD channels sometimes are annoyingly "broken" that's no different than satellite reception. My Internet is fast even if there are 4 people on at once. It's a great service for the price and I think if we could afford to take it out farther in the county it would be even better. The more people you can serve, the more service can be made available.
So what do you pay and how many channels do you get? How many of the channels you get are HD?
diamondnetfan

United States

#22 Mar 27, 2013
JAG wrote:
<quoted text>So what do you pay and how many channels do you get? How many of the channels you get are HD?
I could physically count the channels but I don't have time for that. The information you requested is available at the diamondnet office. Oh and we've always been able to go get a new box or remote if something went wrong with one unless they were out.
JAG

United States

#23 Mar 27, 2013
diamondnetfan wrote:
<quoted text>
I could physically count the channels but I don't have time for that. The information you requested is available at the diamondnet office. Oh and we've always been able to go get a new box or remote if something went wrong with one unless they were out.
Unless they were out? Ok. Well whatever, just figured you would know since you were so high on them. Do they charge you for the days you have an issue with a bad remote or box?
diamondnetfan

United States

#24 Mar 27, 2013
JAG wrote:
<quoted text>Unless they were out? Ok. Well whatever, just figured you would know since you were so high on them. Do they charge you for the days you have an issue with a bad remote or box?
Never had a day without a box. Only had an issue with a box one time and it was years ago.
JAG

United States

#25 Mar 27, 2013
diamondnetfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Never had a day without a box. Only had an issue with a box one time and it was years ago.
Ok.
Customer

Fort Smith, AR

#26 Mar 27, 2013
Diamondnet is a good service. I have had since startup also and have had very few issues. Mostly lightning which any electronics doesn't like.

The Internet is fast. I have a 5 mg connection and routinely have Xbox computers and tablets going at same time with no speed issues. Video is excellent. You can't control what the channels show but you get enough channels to pick something good. 800 and above are best of all

I think there is over 240 channels available and about 40 of those are HD

I would say City of Sallisaw made a good investment. Technology is not going backwards. If it wasn't built we would we sure would not have what it gives today. Especially Internet.
Customer also

Fort Smith, AR

#27 Mar 27, 2013
I have to agree diamondnet has been a very good service. I had one speed issue with Internet and found out it was my computer. Had a bad virus. If your having speed issues check your computer. Virus is easy to get unless you have a good virus program. Mcafee sems to work very well on home computers

Love watching sports in HD. Especially March Madness. You can see faces in crowd
Water cooler

Fort Smith, AR

#28 Mar 27, 2013
Diamondnet by far best service. Had satellite at one time it sucked and they kept jacking up costs. Internet is fast at my house to.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#29 Jul 11, 2013
Funny wrote:
Y'all must be those people that don't like to pay bills. Then you get mad when you don't get your way or no one will let you have free service or fill up your hand when you stick it out
I have had service since start and I think it is great service. Better than satellite for sure and Internet is best around. Go gripe about something legit. Like a poor excuse for a state rep we have.
The only way that I truly take what you said seriously is if you are thinking about a different DiamondNet in a different state. More than likely, you are employed by them. If you read through all the comments in this thread, you will see that all but 2 of them (20+) have had service with Diamondnet and they were NOT satisfied. Most of the comments state that Diamondnet's service was pretty horrible.

A few qualifying points.

Better than satellite
Almost everything is better than Satellite. There are even some dialup services that perform better than satellite service.

Y'all must be those people that don't like to pay bills.
I don't even see how this is relevant. But, whatever. I was paying $150 dollars a month for their service at the time. It was the fastest package they had. I had it for 3 months while I worked with their system administrator.. hoping he could resolve the issue because I truly wanted to support the city if I could. After a meeting with the admin and the city manager, i knew that they were not going to be able to resolve the issues without a new qualified staff (at the NOC).

Then you get mad when you don't get your way or no one will let you have free service or fill up your hand when you stick it out
How did you get to this point from my original post? I was debating a serious issue.. and it should be viewed as such. Our town is paying the bill for a horribly deployed fiber to home ISP. All the other ISP are taking their customers because the service is horrible. They are on the brink of collapse, and all we are tying to do is have an honest conversation about it. Numbers don't lie.

A friend of mine supports 30 local businesses. After I read your post, I called him to ask him how many of them originally had dnet.. and how many still do (that he supports). He said that originally, roughly 25 of them had their service. As of today, however, only 3 do.

I don't want us all getting stuck with the bill for dnet.. so all I am suggesting is that we come up with a solution before they end up selling it back to new roads at pennies on the dollar.
ihatediamondnet

United States

#30 Jul 12, 2013
The city is losing hundreds of thousands of dollars each year. The city was so excited to get rid of dispatch and the jail so that it could move those funds over to diamondnet... It costs the city roughly 300k to run the jail and staff dispatch, which is just short of what diamondnet is losing... Again it has potential but with the current way things are ran it's not going to work out in the end... You could almost call the city a monopoly for cable but they have allowed sudden link to setup shop
I love diamondnet

Fort Smith, AR

#31 Jul 13, 2013
Diamondnet is a great service. Fifty times better than sudden link and satellite combined. Internet is fast and you have all the channels you need to find something entertaining. If diamondnet was not here we would still have dial up Internet and limited AT&T DSL, which by the way has not been improved on since it was installed many years ago.

I for one am glad we built the system.
ihatediamondnet

Fort Smith, AR

#32 Jul 13, 2013
Suddenlinks cable internet is faster than diamondnet's poor excuse for "high-speed" internet. The city has wasted so much money and is continuing to lose money each year on their "Fast" fiber to the home services. They could be a rock solid service if the people running it knew what they were doing. They have nobody there with an IT background, they did but he got fired for buying drugs with city credit card... Funny how that didn't make the news when he did that.
Watercooler

Fort Smith, AR

#33 Jul 13, 2013
ihatediamondnet wrote:
Suddenlinks cable internet is faster than diamondnet's poor excuse for "high-speed" internet. The city has wasted so much money and is continuing to lose money each year on their "Fast" fiber to the home services. They could be a rock solid service if the people running it knew what they were doing. They have nobody there with an IT background, they did but he got fired for buying drugs with city credit card... Funny how that didn't make the news when he did that.
It is so funny to ready posts like yours on this. Did you stay at a holiday inn last night cause you the smartest man in the room.
ihatediamondnet

United States

#34 Jul 15, 2013
It's holiday inn express.... If you're going to quote something funny, at least do it right
lol

Boise, ID

#35 Jul 21, 2013
LOst cause.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#36 Mar 8, 2014
Customer also wrote:
I have to agree diamondnet has been a very good service. I had one speed issue with Internet and found out it was my computer. Had a bad virus. If your having speed issues check your computer. Virus is easy to get unless you have a good virus program. Mcafee sems to work very well on home computers
Love watching sports in HD. Especially March Madness. You can see faces in crowd

First, your totally right. Virus issues can effect speed / bandwidth. However Mcafee is a HUGE resource hog.. much like Norton. Both Mcafee and Norton can cause an amazing pc (not infected) to run like crap. There are an array anti-virus programs that have a small footprint allowing your pc to run at un-compromised speeds. That being said, I really don't understand why you are so hell bent of lying about the speed and consistency of diamond net. There are 30+ different people that have posted on this thread going back a few years. The service continues to get worse.. yet you represent their service as if they are providing you an OC-768(40Gbps). Dnet's tv service is horrible. It is functional.. but compared to major vendors.. like SuddenLink and DirectTV.. there is no comparison. As for internet, Suddenlink is much cheaper and a TON FASTER. No comparison. I have access to a circuit from both providers. I have stripped everything off of the networks except a small linux box to measure bandwidth throughput. The account is supposed to be getting 20/20. The dnet ciruct is getting 0.78/1.0. The sudden link tested at 18 down.

I was visiting with one of my software developer / nerd friends that supports a ton of businesses in town and he said that just a few years ago, tons of customers used diamond net. He said he supported about 20+ business that used their service. He said that currently, all but one have changed to different vendors because of bandwidth / slow support issues.

I'm sure 19 companies changed providers because Dnet is a great service<sarcasm>. Honestly.. again.. you either work for Dnet or you are dating someone that does. The truth is that everyone that is reading this thread knows the truth about it. Tons of different people all saying the same thing except for 2 people that drank the cool aid.

If I need to provide MRTG graphs from the datasets that I have gathered to make my point, I can. I don't hate Dnet.. I am just trying to protect other consumers that might have a job like mine in which they NEED a consistently fast connection.. not a poor substitute for dial up internet.
DiamondNet Fan

Sallisaw, OK

#37 Mar 9, 2014
I have DiamondNet 5 MB internet and I get 5 MB download each time i test. I also have McAfee loaded and a normal computer running Windows 7. Have no problems at all. Videos load with no buffering. No issues for me. I also called a few friends that have it and guess what, no issues.

I think OKFan needs to look into his equipment further. I also had Suddenlink a while back and it was terrible, as was the TV service. Glad I switched to city services, much much much better.

My opinion is Diamondnet is one of the best things the city has done, at least we are not stuck in stone age anymore like some people want.
Correcting Opinions

Fort Smith, AR

#38 Mar 9, 2014
DiamondNet Fan wrote:
I have DiamondNet 5 MB internet and I get 5 MB download each time i test. I also have McAfee loaded and a normal computer running Windows 7. Have no problems at all. Videos load with no buffering. No issues for me. I also called a few friends that have it and guess what, no issues.
I think OKFan needs to look into his equipment further. I also had Suddenlink a while back and it was terrible, as was the TV service. Glad I switched to city services, much much much better.
My opinion is Diamondnet is one of the best things the city has done, at least we are not stuck in stone age anymore like some people want.
Except for the fact that it is a money pit!!! It is losing money on a monthly basis!
resident

Sallisaw, OK

#39 Mar 10, 2014
talk to a tech.w DiamondNet today and he said they have 2x bandwidth now.
Curiosity killed the cat

Sallisaw, OK

#40 Mar 11, 2014
Diamond Net is awful. I pay $100 a month for something I barely get any use out of because it's ALWAYS down. When it's not down it's so slow!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sallisaw Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Martens 23 hr Pickle juice 1
Michael Lee Sargent May 16 woah. 3
Time for change May 15 GoJimOlsen 25
Who is Tank Boulware May 15 curious 1
Wrecks everything around her. Jessica Fargo hou... May 11 Timsgirl 1
Jessica Fargo (Mar '16) May 11 Timsgirl 8
elissa and mary daniels May 4 Its me daniels 3

Sallisaw Jobs

Personal Finance

Sallisaw Mortgages