Diamond Net Lost Cause
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#1 May 29, 2010
The concept of Fiber to the home is extremely exciting and if applied correctly could totally change the way we experience the web and do business. However, managing a network of this type takes an extremely qualified team of IT professionals that have close to a decade of experience managing a network of this size(for their NOC or Network Operations Center). They ALL need to be extremely educated if not an expert in networking, subnetting and having a few code monkeys to help with creating applications to manage aspects of the network (instead of paying thousands of dollars for apps). It is also important, for many reasons, to have a few Cisco certified employees to manage the routing of the network and firewall. This is regardless of the equipment being Cisco equipment. High end routers (like those to route an ISP.. aka DNet) require administration to be done via command line input.

DiamondNet has no qualified employees to run the ISP. I read in another forum that Dnet is the best thing to happen to Sallisaw. That person is completely crazy. Diamond net doesn't even have a person qualified for phone support, let alone a system or network engineer. This isn't personal. I am sure the guys are great, but the company is duct-taped together at best. The idea of expanding their service to the country is beyond insane for a few reasons. 1. Their services sucks now. If you have ever had service with any other company, you KNOW that their service is sub-par. It appears that they even use bandwidth throttling based off of what content you are viewing. Adding more people would take away from the available bandwidth. 2. As a resident of Sallisaw, I would love to see an independent firm come in and do a cost / profit assessment on the proposed expansion of Dnet. I read that a company did one. I did two seconds of research and realized that it was the same company that was trying to sell them the fiber. It would take dnet 20 years to break even on that expansion. People, don't let them do it... and if they try… vote the people out of office they try.
I love the idea of fiber 2 the home, but a city running it? That ends in Disaster and horrible service. And many of the cities that have tried have had the company go bankrupt. The only way to save Dnet is to sell it to someone that knows what the hell they are doing. Only then can the service not suck. IT WILL fail if the city keeps running it. Not to be that way, but almost all of their employee(s) used to work for the city reading meters and such. What if one day, we decided to open hospital and took the city's staff to act as doctors in the hospital? If it weren't for New Roads, they would already be doomed.
Btw.. Dnet having 1000 customers is total bs. 2 seconds on Google searching for Sallisaw population will bring you results that detail the population, the number of households, the number of people under18. If you apply those numbers to their claim of 1000 customers, they would have to have 200% of the market. I think they are counting
a) Anyone that was ever a customer (including those that closed their account due to it sucking)
b) They are counting each service as a customer. So, if you have cable, internet and phone… you count as 3 customers.
At&T are much better choices, faster and cheaper. Dnet always throw those numbers around (4mb up, 4mb down).. but the best I EVER get (after complaining) is a little over (2mb / 1mb). When I switched to At&T.. I get a consistent 6 down 1up..(at a fraction of the cost). When I called to complain before I switched, one of the techs told me that the plans were not really plans.. more like marketing plans. Need I say more.
ihatediamondnet

United States

#2 May 30, 2010
Thank you and Thank you... Again... not personal, but I know that their "main tech-guy" doesn't even have a degree in IT... DiamondNet really needs to be revamped!!! They are lying to the people of the city saying that they are the fastest connection in town! Just about any other Fiber Optic system I read about have well over 10mb/s download... if not higher. I switched to AT&T also and am blown away by their speed.

PLEASE CITY OF SALLISAW!!! Please look into allowing a major player like COX Communications, Verizon, Comcast or any of the other big companies to come into sallisaw... I'm sure they'd buy the infrastructure that Sallisaw paid MILLIONS for... This would allow you to recoup some losses and bring this city out of financial despair and give your employees their merit raises, cost of living raises and longevity pay back to them...
concerned

Claremore, OK

#3 Jun 4, 2010
i also dropped DNet recently due to lousy Tv and internet. half of the stations were always had sparkles and when recording channels you would go to watch them and half of the program would be off the air etc. and not be the full program recording. really lousy picture! the Service however,if you called in with a problem,they did send someone out right away,so service was good,but what good is it if it constantly has glitches!! I think at first it was a good thing cause it was new, but things get old and worn out and need replacing and the way it looks is all they have done is splice and tape,judging by the picture and internet !
AT&T has been good so far and about $40 saving per month w/more tv channels and cheaper phone service w/long distance!
glad i switched!!

JMO
ihatediamondnet

Sallisaw, OK

#4 Jun 6, 2010
Didn't know that AT&T provided Sallisaw with TV... I know they have partnered with DirecTV to offer Satellite, and they have there U-Verse over in Ft. Smith, but wasn't aware it was here yet...
Crazy axe to grind

Fort Worth, TX

#5 Jun 15, 2010
I've been on Diamondnet since it was offered. I wouldn't go back to AT&T if offered free service for life. I never have an outage unless it's a power failure and dint experience a lt of interruptions. Who peed in your cornflakes?
Wrong No Axe

Talala, OK

#6 Jun 15, 2010
Crazy axe to grind wrote:
I've been on Diamondnet since it was offered. I wouldn't go back to AT&T if offered free service for life. I never have an outage unless it's a power failure and dint experience a lt of interruptions. Who peed in your cornflakes?
Sorry, no axe to grind, just telling it the way it is.
You must be a city of sallisaw employee.
Pleased

Sallisaw, OK

#7 Jun 15, 2010
I to have been on DiamondNet for a long time, all my services have worked great, love the HD and the Internet has worked well.
ihatediamondnet

United States

#8 Jun 16, 2010
it may be working, but not at the speeds it should be... Again... if Cox Communications or even ATT U-Verse was here, then everyone would be like "wow, how come we couldn't get that with DiamondNet?"
wasting your breath

Bellevue, WA

#9 Jun 17, 2010
you can't expect anyone that has never been outside of the county to expect more than they have. Yet they will be the first to tell you how much more the cost of living is elsewhere despite the fact they have never been anywhere. Just leave them stuck in the 1950's and run to a better place to live!!!
LOL

Sallisaw, OK

#10 Jun 17, 2010
Didn't know you could get high speed internet in Sallisaw from AT&T..I called them a couple of months ago and they said it wasn't available in this area???
ihatediamondnet

United States

#11 Jul 13, 2010
When is the city going to realize they have spent way to much money on Diamondnet???
NEVER

Tulsa, OK

#12 Jul 13, 2010
ihatediamondnet wrote:
When is the city going to realize they have spent way to much money on Diamondnet???
NEVER... The city officials do not have the intelligence to know that fiasco of a white elephant they call DiamondNet is a joke.
Shows what type of stupid ignorant leaders we have in Sallisaw to let someone talk them into putting that piece of worthless junk in Sallisaw. I bet those people were laughing their heads off when the stupid Sallisaw officials said yes to this monstrosity.
Hey, idiot Sallisaw officials, I have an ocean out in the middle of a desert, would you like to buy it?
ihatediamondnet

United States

#13 Jul 13, 2010
It's not that Fiber Optic systems are bad... It's just the fact that sallisaw does not have the proper IT team to administer it. If they'd hire an outside firm while they send their "IT" team to school to get the proper education, degrees and certificates, they'd be in a whole lot better situation... Believe it or not people... Fiber Optic is the future of speedy data, just look at google... a few months ago they said that they would deploy 1 Gigabit Fiber Optic network in one lucky city... Sallisaw supposedly has 3 megabit, which is roughly 1/300th the speed of what Fiber can and should be able to obtain if sallisaw had a better implementation and better "IT" team...
Anon

Sallisaw, OK

#14 Mar 26, 2013
Do they throttle?
think

United States

#15 Mar 26, 2013
Diamond net is a joke can't get another cable box even though mine is messed up and there Internet is freaking slow they some channels don't have sound and some no picture. But I guess there better then sudden link. ( Oh and what is this diamond net petition all about that I've seen around town )
Sallisaw

Fort Smith, AR

#16 Mar 26, 2013
This should show everyone we need a change in leadership.
Sell it

Sallisaw, OK

#17 Mar 27, 2013
They lost my business when I found most everyone working there are cooked.
Funny

Sallisaw, OK

#18 Mar 27, 2013
Y'all must be those people that don't like to pay bills. Then you get mad when you don't get your way or no one will let you have free service or fill up your hand when you stick it out

I have had service since start and I think it is great service. Better than satellite for sure and Internet is best around. Go gripe about something legit. Like a poor excuse for a state rep we have.
think

Sallisaw, OK

#19 Mar 27, 2013
Funny wrote:
Y'all must be those people that don't like to pay bills. Then you get mad when you don't get your way or no one will let you have free service or fill up your hand when you stick it out

I have had service since start and I think it is great service. Better than satellite for sure and Internet is best around. Go gripe about something legit. Like a poor excuse for a state rep we have.
Never even been close to being late on my bills. But I should get what I pay for and I'm not. Slow Internet and sorry channels is not what I pay for like last night watching a game on espn it kept messing up. That is bull
diamondnetfan

Oklahoma City, OK

#20 Mar 27, 2013
think wrote:
<quoted text>Never even been close to being late on my bills. But I should get what I pay for and I'm not. Slow Internet and sorry channels is not what I pay for like last night watching a game on espn it kept messing up. That is bull
I also have had their service since it started. I was one of the first 100 customers to sign up. I would never have any other service. I have extended basic cable and its 100 times better than what we had before. More channels And more usable channels. Although the HD channels sometimes are annoyingly "broken" that's no different than satellite reception. My Internet is fast even if there are 4 people on at once. It's a great service for the price and I think if we could afford to take it out farther in the county it would be even better. The more people you can serve, the more service can be made available.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sallisaw Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beware Preacher Realtors (Oct '14) 2 hr James 3
News Muldrow Teen Walks Again, Testifies Against Wom... 2 hr Karen 10
Sequoyah County Law--SMH! 4 hr FuckDopers 5
Debate: Marijuana - Sallisaw, OK (Aug '10) Aug 29 gabe 29
Roland embezzler sentenced Aug 26 Joseph 3
Sallisaw Ashley Madison List Aug 24 that simple 4
herbie fully loaded n his daddy (Apr '14) Aug 24 someone 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sallisaw Mortgages