Vandals wreck school building

Vandals wreck school building

Posted in the Sallisaw Forum

Aint that somthin

Sallisaw, OK

#1 Nov 1, 2009
Vandals hit Sallisaw High School late Thursday or early Friday and drove school buses into buildings, rammed other vehicles, and destroyed classrooms. Damage was estimated at $250,000.

Detective Sandy Girdner of the Sallisaw Police Department said she received a call about 5:40 a.m. Friday morning about vandalism at the Sallisaw High School. When she arrived she said several buses were damaged, and windows were broken in the vo-ag building,

“It is a mess,” she said.

Police Chief Shaloa Edwards said the vo-ag building received extensive damage. Two buses were driven into the tree lines. One bus was rammed against two cars. One bus was driven through the vo-ag building garage door and one through the fence.

Edwards, displeased about the vandalism to the school, said,“People who do stuff like this are cowards.

“There are broken windows, ceiling tiles pulled off, and some of the walls are destroyed,” Edwards said.

He said the vandals flooded the vo-ag building. They took some of the Blue and Gold meat the Future Farmers of America sell for fundraising purposes out of the freezers and threw the packages all over the floor.

Ron Wyrick, Sallisaw School superintendent, said three classrooms in the building were destroyed. He said about 12 buses were damaged. Three teacher assistants’ vehicles were damaged when the vandals drove a bus into the vehicles sides. The teacher assistants were attending out-of-town training and left their cars at the school.

“Several buses were bumped which caused a little exterior damage,” Wyrick said.“We do have insurance. As soon as investigators get done processing the crime scene I’m calling our insurance company to have them assess the damage.”

Wyrick said the classrooms that were destroyed will require those classes be held inside the high school until the building is repaired.

The Sequoyah County Sheriff’s Office and a forensic officer from the Fort Smith Police Department are assisting the Sallisaw Police Department.

Edwards said the Fort Smith Forensic Crime Scene Investigator will help provide technology the Sallisaw Police Department doesn’t have.

Edwards said the school probably suffered about $250,000 worth of damages.

“We have a few leads that we are following. There is evidence left behind and we are getting assistance from other law enforcement agencies.

“Working together we should be able to close this investigation soon,” Edwards said.

“It’s too soon to determine if the vandalism at Blue Ribbon Auto Group and this vandalism are related.”
Gosh Dang Lookey There

Sallisaw, OK

#2 Nov 1, 2009
Look what good it did for them to have three police in the school! Isnt that somethin. They just cant seem to ever get it right. Two or three officers on the street during the night. Look what happens again. Well lets see I hear they caught them. Good job Officers. Bad job Chief! Should have had more men on the job instead of in the school. You know more men on the street better chance of this being stopped. Look at all the damage they caused and no one ever even drove by and seen a garage door sticking out or windows busted. Maybe because there was not enough people out! HUH I guess having them sit in the school and give my kids halloween bags is better than protecting the town! Oh yeah they could still give away halloween bags even if they werent sitting at the school all day! Seems like a waist. Well see what the new chief next year does with that. If not this election the next one. It'll happen! Just get ready to have no job! The public is tired of it all. But of course seeing is believing when supporters are no longer there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sallisaw Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Muldrow Teacher Resigns Amid Allegations Of Ina... 23 hr Brian 1
News Muldrow teacher to stand trial 23 hr Brian 1
Who the hell is hiring MHS teachers Jan 18 Time for change 1
5th Grade Teacher Concern Jan 13 Retired Teacher 3
Assistant District Attorneys FIRED for Child Po... (May '13) Jan 13 Charlie 683 17
*NO* Muldrow City Council/Mayor Election (Mar '13) Jan 12 sadsam 19
New Muldrow Police Chief (Apr '14) Jan 12 Sorry 79

Sallisaw Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sallisaw Mortgages