Smithson will seek fifth term

Smithson will seek fifth term

There are 160 comments on the Sequoyah County Times story from Dec 20, 2009, titled Smithson will seek fifth term. In it, Sequoyah County Times reports that:

State Rep. Glen a oeBuda Smithson announced this week that he will seek a fifth term as Sequoyah Countya s state representative.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sequoyah County Times.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
oh no

Omaha, NE

#1 Dec 31, 2009
Is it time for change ?? Elect Bennett!!
I think

United States

#2 Dec 31, 2009
that these terms ought to be limited. These politicans seem to lose sight of why they're there after awhile. Bennett seems like a good choice.
typical

Sallisaw, OK

#3 Dec 31, 2009
smithson has done well for sequoyah co.. I will support him again and hope that he does make some progress with brd or gets the gov not to sign the new bill that the cherokees are wanting to change the compact. If he will stand for the people here he will get my vote.
Smithson supporter

Sallisaw, OK

#4 Dec 31, 2009
I will vote for Smithson again. He has done more for our county than anyone has in many years. He is not just talk, he is action. It is not broke, so there is no need to fix anything. Vote Smithson!
sequoyah county

Tulsa, OK

#5 Jan 1, 2010
typical wrote:
smithson has done well for sequoyah co.. I will support him again and hope that he does make some progress with brd or gets the gov not to sign the new bill that the cherokees are wanting to change the compact. If he will stand for the people here he will get my vote.
you dumbass. the governor would not give old grandpappy smithson the time of day let alone listen to anything the old coot had to say. quit being so gullible. old smithson is for no one but old smithson. get your head ouit of the sand.
sequoyah county

Tulsa, OK

#6 Jan 1, 2010
Smithson supporter wrote:
I will vote for Smithson again. He has done more for our county than anyone has in many years. He is not just talk, he is action. It is not broke, so there is no need to fix anything. Vote Smithson!
name one thing smithson has done for this county. smithson has not done one thing for this county and you know it except to show up at the courthouse the night of the election so spaced out he could not hold his head up off the table. what an embarrassment for sequoyah county. the sheriff is no better or he would have thrown the old coot in the pokey.
Smithson supporter

Sallisaw, OK

#7 Jan 2, 2010
sequoyah county wrote:
<quoted text>
you dumbass. the governor would not give old grandpappy smithson the time of day let alone listen to anything the old coot had to say. quit being so gullible. old smithson is for no one but old smithson. get your head ouit of the sand.
I guess you think you know a whole lot about State Representative Glen "Bud" Smithson. I do know what relationship Representative Smithson has not only with the governor, but also the other members of out state government. He is well respected and if you need the proof, try attending the sessions sometime. The sessions are open to the public in case you did not know. Get educated before you start calling people dumbass.
Smithson supporter

Sallisaw, OK

#8 Jan 2, 2010
sequoyah county wrote:
<quoted text>
name one thing smithson has done for this county. smithson has not done one thing for this county and you know it except to show up at the courthouse the night of the election so spaced out he could not hold his head up off the table. what an embarrassment for sequoyah county. the sheriff is no better or he would have thrown the old coot in the pokey.
Representative Smithson helped bring the widened 59 highway through Sallisaw. He has brought in millions of dollars worth of grant money to the rural fire departments, schools, law enforcement agencies and the cities of Sequoyah County. He has donated his time as an auctioneer and money out of his own pocket to everyone who asks to raise money for all types of fundraisers such as people with serious illnesses or people who have lost their homes to fires. He has given money from his own pocket to every school in this county, not to mention any and every fundraiser of any type he is ever hit up for. He supports education, the military, veterens and the elderly by pushing legislature friendly to them. He has helped veterens get their benefits started when no one else could get that job done. He has helped our county citizens get their social security when they came to a standstill. Oh, I am sorry, I got carried away. You see, that "old coot" as you called him was there on election night because he was asked to be there and he doesn't turn down requests if he can help it. He was tired because he had been out helping a family in need, went home, did his chores, showered and went to the court house to help some more.

I don't know why you think the way you do, but I can tell you this. Even though you have spoken so badly of our State Representative, I will tell you this. If you found yourself in need of his help and you asked him to help you, he would. You see, his heart is for the people of this county. He certainly isn't in it for the money!

RE-ELECT STATE REPRESENTATIVE GLEN "BUD" SMITHSON!

Our county needs him.
Who cares

San Antonio, TX

#9 Jan 2, 2010
Your vote won't matter anyway, it never has! Have you ever seen a "live" vote count? and you never will.........
I Agree

Tulsa, OK

#10 Jan 2, 2010
Who cares wrote:
Your vote won't matter anyway, it never has! Have you ever seen a "live" vote count? and you never will.........
Ditto to that. I agree with you 110%.
It does not matter what the people want. "THEY" put who "THEY" want in there regardless of how the people vote.
Remember the "rigged" election with the 1/2 cent sales tax increase. I guess "THEY" think we citizens are total morons.
I for one will never waste my time voting ever again.
Oh come on

Fort Smith, AR

#11 Jan 2, 2010
These days it is hard to rig anything, especially an election. To many eyes looking. Now once you win an office, all bets are off, I will agree to that.
To Smithson Supporter

United States

#12 Jan 2, 2010
To Smithson Supporter...
For your information, Bud Smithson did not have one thing to do with getting highway 59 widened. Senator Larry Dickerson is the one that did the leg work on getting highway 59 widened and when he "passed", Kenneth Corn picked up where Senator Larry Dickerson left off.

YOU SAID AND I QUOTE....
"You see, that "old coot" as you called him was there on election night because he was asked to be there and he doesn't turn down requests if he can help it. He was tired because he had been out helping a family in need, went home, did his chores, showered and went to the court house to help some more."

That statement of yours speaks volumes which proves we need younger people representing the people.
If we had a younger representative in office, he would not have been too tired at 8:00 P.M. at night to hold his head up off the table. A younger representative would just be getting started at 8:00 P.M. at night.
It is time to put the old fogies out to pasture and get someone in office with some vim and vigor that can stay awake after it starts turning dark outside. Let the old fogies go to bed with the chickens where they belong.
tired after a long day

Fort Smith, AR

#13 Jan 2, 2010
To Smithson Supporter wrote:
To Smithson Supporter...
For your information, Bud Smithson did not have one thing to do with getting highway 59 widened. Senator Larry Dickerson is the one that did the leg work on getting highway 59 widened and when he "passed", Kenneth Corn picked up where Senator Larry Dickerson left off.
YOU SAID AND I QUOTE....
"You see, that "old coot" as you called him was there on election night because he was asked to be there and he doesn't turn down requests if he can help it. He was tired because he had been out helping a family in need, went home, did his chores, showered and went to the court house to help some more."
That statement of yours speaks volumes which proves we need younger people representing the people.
If we had a younger representative in office, he would not have been too tired at 8:00 P.M. at night to hold his head up off the table. A younger representative would just be getting started at 8:00 P.M. at night.
It is time to put the old fogies out to pasture and get someone in office with some vim and vigor that can stay awake after it starts turning dark outside. Let the old fogies go to bed with the chickens where they belong.
Its been my experience that anyone putting in a 12-16 hour day is pretty tired by 8 pm, especially after several in a row, no matter what age you are. Oh, and sometimes the old foggies, they have better sense and are lot more experienced then young ones who think they know it all....
typical

United States

#14 Jan 2, 2010
I have trouble believing that thee are so many negative people in this world. You people are defeated before you start. I will still support Bud but I know my vote counts and whomever gets the most will win.But to sit back and say nothing but bad about the whole system and not step up and get involved is childish. I've been involved, won some lost some but will continue to be involved till my last breath.Try living in another country, see how that works. You have to give to get back and we are swinging so far to the other side there wont be enough givers. Bud doesn"t know me but Ive seen him write the checks, give his time and work when he didn't have to. I've seen many others who never came close to what he has done and is continuing to do. Yes he is a politician, a certain degree of politics goes with the job. We need people to speak their mind to move forward but to simply talk about someone for the sake of hearing their head rattle is not productive. But even that they have that right because of people getting involved.
wow

United States

#15 Jan 3, 2010
Looks like someone has nothing better to do with their time than negatively judge other peoples comments. 137 negative judgings? Wow, get a job.
proudokvet

United States

#16 Jan 13, 2010
We are all entitled to our opinion, because this is a free country, at least for now, made free by brave men and women in our military. We need someone in office who can protect this county from the national level bueracrats! I do believe Bud has done a good job for this county however I also believe it is time for him to step down and let a younger energetic candidate with new ideas take over. We need to stop drawing "personal" lines in the sand, defending "womever you plan to vote for" and see what is best for this county and our couuntry. I ask you spend the time looking into voing records, calling these candidates and seeing what their stance is on the issues etc... not bashing the candidate or whomever the person is writing their comments. I will be voting for Mr. Bennett because I have researched Bud's voting records at the capitol (very interesting) and I dont agree with the way he has voted. He was supposed to vote cor us and what we believe, not what the lobbyist want him to vote for. That is our vote and I know Seqouyah County citizens dont believe the way he voted. I have researched Mr. Bennett and even called him on the phone. Remarkable young man, has some great ideas, and I am pretty sure he has the energy to fight for what we believe in; and I quote from the card he gave me "God, Family, Country". This is what we need to protect!

Vote: John Bennett 2010 We need him!
Smithson supporter

Sallisaw, OK

#17 Jan 13, 2010
proudokvet wrote:
We are all entitled to our opinion, because this is a free country, at least for now, made free by brave men and women in our military. We need someone in office who can protect this county from the national level bueracrats! I do believe Bud has done a good job for this county however I also believe it is time for him to step down and let a younger energetic candidate with new ideas take over. We need to stop drawing "personal" lines in the sand, defending "womever you plan to vote for" and see what is best for this county and our couuntry. I ask you spend the time looking into voing records, calling these candidates and seeing what their stance is on the issues etc... not bashing the candidate or whomever the person is writing their comments. I will be voting for Mr. Bennett because I have researched Bud's voting records at the capitol (very interesting) and I dont agree with the way he has voted. He was supposed to vote cor us and what we believe, not what the lobbyist want him to vote for. That is our vote and I know Seqouyah County citizens dont believe the way he voted. I have researched Mr. Bennett and even called him on the phone. Remarkable young man, has some great ideas, and I am pretty sure he has the energy to fight for what we believe in; and I quote from the card he gave me "God, Family, Country". This is what we need to protect!
Vote: John Bennett 2010 We need him!
I do agree with Mr. Smithson's voting record so please don't assume everyone agrees with your opinion. I honestly do hope this remains a very clean campaign instead of becoming some mud-slinging, gossip producing joke. I will respect your opinion and I expect you to respect mine. Oh yes, Mr. Smithson is a VietNam war verteran. He has fought for this country and county in more ways than one.
SOOO wrong

Sallisaw, OK

#18 Jun 7, 2010
Smithson supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
Representative Smithson helped bring the widened 59 highway through Sallisaw. He has brought in millions of dollars worth of grant money to the rural fire departments, schools, law enforcement agencies and the cities of Sequoyah County. He has donated his time as an auctioneer and money out of his own pocket to everyone who asks to raise money for all types of fundraisers such as people with serious illnesses or people who have lost their homes to fires. He has given money from his own pocket to every school in this county, not to mention any and every fundraiser of any type he is ever hit up for. He supports education, the military, veterens and the elderly by pushing legislature friendly to them. He has helped veterens get their benefits started when no one else could get that job done. He has helped our county citizens get their social security when they came to a standstill. Oh, I am sorry, I got carried away. You see, that "old coot" as you called him was there on election night because he was asked to be there and he doesn't turn down requests if he can help it. He was tired because he had been out helping a family in need, went home, did his chores, showered and went to the court house to help some more.
I don't know why you think the way you do, but I can tell you this. Even though you have spoken so badly of our State Representative, I will tell you this. If you found yourself in need of his help and you asked him to help you, he would. You see, his heart is for the people of this county. He certainly isn't in it for the money!
RE-ELECT STATE REPRESENTATIVE GLEN "BUD" SMITHSON!
Our county needs him.
Oh whatever, I have heard so many people complain about BUD promising to help them, or people calling to see about getying help with Va Benefits and S.S. Benefits, among other things and never get a reply. I have been at many of the functions he attends and he is always reeking of Scotch, drunk and staggering. It's obvious that he needs to just be done, last thing I'm aware he accomplished was having his county rd blacktopped and guess where it ended at...his driveway....wow, now that really is benefiting our citizens of Sequoyah County. I am sick to death of hearing of all the things he's done, maybe years ago, but not now, unless it ever had to do with getting more pay for the Hwy Patrol to boost his retirement... It is now all about BUD himself, not us, the citizens of this county. Time to go Bud, you've become a DUD.
Hardtimes

Sallisaw, OK

#19 Jun 8, 2010
The only reason Bud Smithson has the kind of money to help people out because he gets a 20% cut in the drug money that is made here in this God Forsaken Town.He helps protect the drug dealers and Don't believe me if you don't want too because i don't care.I'm just stating the truth!!!!!!Like it or not!!!!
SOOO wrong

Fort Smith, AR

#20 Jun 8, 2010
It's called the Good 'ole boy network... We need new blood, someone with integrity to stand up for the real needs and the values that our country use to stand for, has everyone forgotten the Phrase in God we Trust. I trust that God has a plan for us and that is someone that still believes in the things this country was built on. We as Christians need to re-think things, this election is just a small stepping stone in getting our country back on track and to do that we need someone who still believes in good family values and who has morals, someone who will vote to better our county and country, but in order to do that you cannot be bought by the people in office and vote opposite of what you believe in, maybe that is why Bud is always crocked, because he knows that his values have been compromised along time ago. I will not be voting for Bud and I've know him along time and I have watched his integrity go right down the toilet, so I won't be sucked in by his promises that will not actually be done, he just doesn't want to be defeated by a younger candidate that actually has values, and favors God ans Family and someone that has defended this country for longer then he did, it's his ego. Sorry if anyone disagree's but I believe this to be the total truth and I pray that we get the right candidate in office this time to start making a change, no more Good 'ole boys.... Vote John Bennett to make a change for this county... www.whoisjohnbennett.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sallisaw Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
liquor by the drink (Apr '09) Fri CalicoCat 107
muldrow smokeshop harrassed Fri Your The Boss Boss 13
football program (May '15) Aug 17 Facts are facts 12
Cyrus and ben james? Aug 13 Curiouscat 1
Mckaylee James! Aug 13 Curiouscat 1
The DA slacking on the job (Feb '17) Aug 7 OINK OINK OINK PIGGY 7
City of sallisaw Aug 6 JoeS 18

Sallisaw Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sallisaw Mortgages