'Jeffersons' Actor Mike Evans Dies - Also created and acted in ...

Full story: Zap2it.com 16
Mike Evans and the cast of 'The Jeffersons' Mike Evans, 57, an actor best known for his role as Lionel Jefferson in the TV sitcoms "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons," died of throat cancer Dec. Full Story
Miss Jackie 1

Akron, OH

#1 Aug 24, 2008
I don't know how I got here, but I had no idea Mike died. This is very sad. Was he a smoker?
TOP FLIGHT

United States

#2 Aug 25, 2008
Miss Jackie 1 wrote:
I don't know how I got here, but I had no idea Mike died. This is very sad. Was he a smoker?
don't know but his death was posted on here last year.. if I can find it I will post link
TOP FLIGHT

United States

#3 Aug 25, 2008
Miss Jackie 1 wrote:
Michael Jonas Evans'''([[November 3]][[1949]][[December 14]][[2006]])(usually credited as '''Mike Evans'''), was an [[United States|American]][[actor]] and co-creator of the show ''[[Good Times]]'' with [[Eric Monte]]([[Ralph Carter]]'s character [[Michael Evans (Good Times)|Michael Evans]] was named after him).

As the original Lionel, his absence was noticed at a Sherman Hemsley TV Land special, which aEvans was born in [[Salisbury, North Carolina]]. His father, Theodore Evans Sr., was a dentist, and his mother, Annie Sue Evans, was a school teacher. He attended Palmer Memorial Institute, a private school for young black Americans in Sedalia, N.C. before his family later moved to [[Los Angeles]], where he graduated from [[Los Angeles High School]]. He later studied acting at [[Los Angeles City College]].

Evans is most famous for creating the recurring role of [[Lionel Jefferson]] on ''[[All in the Family]]'' and was the first (and eventually final) actor to play Lionel on the spin-off ''[[The Jeffersons]]''. He played Lionel on ''The Jeffersons'' for much of its 11-year run, with the majority of his appearances occurring from 1979-1983. Opera singer/actor [[Damon Evans (actor)|Damon Evans]](no relation to Michael) played the role for a few years of ''The Jeffersons'', as Michael was occupied in the production of ''Good Times''. He returned after ''Good Times'' was cancelled in 1979.

His last TV role was in 2000, on an episode of ''[[Walker, Texas Ranger]]''. Evans was also a real estate investor and owned properties in California's [[Inland Empire (California)|Inland Empire]].ired on April 26, 2006. Most of the other surviving ''Jeffersons'' cast members were present, as well as Sally Struthers and the cast of ''Amen''.

Evans died of throat cancer at his mother's home in [[Twentynine Palms, California]] at the age of only 57. The announcement of his death was not released until a week later.

Since: Apr 08

TRUE SELF-MASTERY

#4 Aug 25, 2008
wow he died in december? i didnt even know he passed, i dont remember hearing about it. and i didnt know he created good times, but why is this being posted in august almost a year later?
TOP FLIGHT

United States

#5 Aug 25, 2008
Google Me wrote:
wow he died in december? i didnt even know he passed, i dont remember hearing about it. and i didnt know he created good times, but why is this being posted in august almost a year later?
someone bumped it I suppose. his death was posted on here last year

“ Eat Cake and Die!”

Since: Sep 07

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Aug 25, 2008
He was 59 not 57 when he died!
James

Concord, NC

#8 Aug 26, 2008
Loved that show!
ruben

Tacoma, WA

#9 Oct 8, 2008
Maurice Ca wrote:
He was 59 not 57 when he died!
do the math... 57years, 1 month, & 11 days

“If you dont like don't look!”

Since: Sep 07

Canton, Texas

#10 Oct 8, 2008
Dam thats sad.....=(
Tired

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Oct 9, 2008
Google Me wrote:
If you took the time to read the article, he died in 2006.
azzz

Waianae, HI

#12 Oct 24, 2008
He was 57 when he passed. I know this. Because I was friends with his mother.
Conscience Sister

New York, NY

#14 Oct 24, 2008
Thats sad he died and I didn't know he created Good times. I always thought Good times was older than then Jeffersons.
katherine

Covina, CA

#15 Feb 6, 2009
yes mike was a smoker he grew his own tobacco. I know this since his daughter Tammie evans is my sister. ALTHOUGH WE HAVE DIFFERENT FATHERS ARE MOTHERS ARE THE SAME.

Since: Feb 11

Love Land

#16 Feb 1, 2012
katherine wrote:
yes mike was a smoker he grew his own tobacco. I know this since his daughter Tammie evans is my sister. ALTHOUGH WE HAVE DIFFERENT FATHERS ARE MOTHERS ARE THE SAME.
Thanks for the update... I know I'm super late but I always wondered how he contracted cancer
Madeline

Virginia Beach, VA

#17 Oct 7, 2012
Micheal Evans was my campus father at PMI. It was
a pleasure to be around him. He looked out for me
when I had a very bad cold. We spoke many years
later and that was so-o-o great. I miss him - may
he Rest In Peace. Much love to his family!
falana

Newark, NJ

#18 Mar 26, 2013
I did not know this wow I love himnplaying on Jefferson may he rest. Wow

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salisbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 4 min Red Square 59,745
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Sep 17 Married in 8,299
Bottom Dollar Foods CLOSING ALL STORES Sep 15 Meg Ham 3
anyone know deputy braden? Aug 28 absolutely 1
Rowan man accused of sex with 15-year-olds (Feb '14) Aug 28 Friend 8
WNCA adopts new faith-based advocacy program Aug 27 sploogehead nopants 1
Diversity is a codeword for white genocide Aug 26 7896iuy 1
•••
•••
•••

Salisbury Jobs

•••
•••
•••