Please Explan

Little Falls, NY

#163 Jan 19, 2013
Even if he did resign and the assessor is replaced, the next could just pick up where they left off. Then what?

Don't drag anyone else down because of Joy and Bob. Find another way to fight them.
The Voice of Reason wrote:
For the good of the City, and now I guess for the Love of God....
Please. Talk your Mayor into resigning. It can be done gracefully. A man his age, can say it is for reasons of his health. Everyone will believe it...or at least we will all pretend it is true.
He can keep his pension. No jail, no investigation, no dishonor for anyone. Maybe even name a bridge after him or something.
And everyone can drop all these expensive and pointless lawsuits, OK?
And we can start to heal.
Please.
The Voice of Reason

Herkimer, NY

#164 Jan 20, 2013
Offhand,

1. Using the Assessors Office to threaten and intimidate the Assembly of God into selling their property to Stewarts.

2. Creating a civil service position for a specific individual, in contravention to standard civil service hiring practices.

3. Launching investigations and compiling databases of the activities of churches without a subpoena or warrant to do so.

4. Practicing tax law without a license.

5. Conspiring to use the tax assessment process in order to carry out a personal vendetta against your perceived political enemies, and people of faith.

6. There are a many signs that the City Assessor is also in violation of case law as indicated by People ex rel. Congress Hall v Ouderkirk, 120 App Div 650.

This is very serious stuff these people have conspired to do. It is the sort of stuff people, who have been trusted by the public to run the government well and legally, should be doing serious jail time for.
Disturbing

Herkimer, NY

#165 Jan 20, 2013
3. Launching investigations and compiling databases of the activities of churches without a subpoena or warrant to do so.
People have been talking for months now about signs the city is preparing to start taxing the churches and the clubs like Elks and the Vets. Ever since the incident with Elks at Canal Days I have been aware that the non profits are in the city's gun sights. I find it very disturbing that city hall has not come out and denied these rumors.
I Support City Hall

Herkimer, NY

#166 Jan 20, 2013
Offhand,
1. Using the Assessors Office to threaten and intimidate the Assembly of God into selling their property to Stewarts.
Stop crying for that pathetic church! Go to that church this morning. Or any church. Count the people there. Then go to the new Stewerts and count the people there. The church is nearly empty, but the Stewerts is packed, huh? People vote, not dusty old law books. Ancient old laws are just words on paper waiting for a clever Assessor to discover a way around them. Get with the modern times and support our brave Mayor in his fight to treat everyone fairly by taxing churches and non-profits as well as businesses and families.
bobble

Herkimer, NY

#167 Jan 20, 2013
Your brave mayor is a gutless moron, he put his personal relationships above the will of the people. When you sit at a meeting where 50 people with a petition containing 500 signatures show up and you, with 4 other elected idiots pretty much blow them off because you obviously made a promise to someone, you are not a leader. You are a child, the little pisspants kid who can't decide which girl you want to share your lunch with. I am sure Ms. Presta will be full time soon, the mayors other girlfriend, in the UR office will secure a city job also. That is the mayors agenda, he is to stupid to face real issues so he continues to build a city hall with his own bobble heads around him. He is a liar and a coward who cares nothing for the welfare of the city, only personal accolades. Shameful Mr. Mayor.
Questions

Herkimer, NY

#168 Jan 20, 2013
I have heard it said, that the Y has spent over $30,000 defending itself against these attacks by the City. I have no idea what the hospital spent and what the churches are going to have to spend, but...

Since all these lawsuits seem to be basically the same question of law,(i.e. can an non-profit group engaged in fund-raising?) shouldn't these suits all be rolled up into one?

And, since the City's position appears to groundless to the point of bizarre absurdity, when the City loses these cases, as they no doubt will, will the Y, the Hospital, and the Churches have grounds to sue the City to recover the money they had to spend in defending themselves?
Please Explain

Little Falls, NY

#169 Jan 20, 2013
You are not helping Voice of Reason's cause by calling people names and using sexiest remarks.
bobble wrote:
Your brave mayor is a gutless moron, he put his personal relationships above the will of the people. When you sit at a meeting where 50 people with a petition containing 500 signatures show up and you, with 4 other elected idiots pretty much blow them off because you obviously made a promise to someone, you are not a leader. You are a child, the little pisspants kid who can't decide which girl you want to share your lunch with. I am sure Ms. Presta will be full time soon, the mayors other girlfriend, in the UR office will secure a city job also. That is the mayors agenda, he is to stupid to face real issues so he continues to build a city hall with his own bobble heads around him. He is a liar and a coward who cares nothing for the welfare of the city, only personal accolades. Shameful Mr. Mayor.
I Support City Hall

Herkimer, NY

#170 Jan 20, 2013
bobble wrote:
Our Mayor is so brave for standing up to the withering attacks of you haters from Main Street First and the Christian hate-groups like the YMCA. You have tried for four years now to get under our Mayor's skin with your meddling and your FOILing, and he just laughs at you and your antics. Real citizens of Little Falls support our Mayor, and people who sign your Main Street First petitions for hateful Christian brainwashing organizations like the YMCA are clearly being tricked by your devious propaganda. Of course we need a full-time Assessor to pursue investigations of the misuse of exempt property by churches and non-profits, and we will need even more staff in the Assessor's office to prepare for the litigation the churches and non-profits will no doubt file against the City in their cowardly and greedy efforts to avoid paying their fair share of property taxes. But how can you not see clearly that those jobs create new revenues for the City? I'll tell you how, because your stubborn Main Street First and Christian dogmas blind you to reason and common sense.
The Voice of Reason

Herkimer, NY

#171 Jan 20, 2013
Please Explain wrote:
You are not helping Voice of Reason's cause by calling people names and using sexiest remarks.
<quoted text>
Perhaps. But it is the utter contempt which the Mayor has repeatedly displayed towards the citizens which is primarily responsible for the utter contempt that so many citizens have for him in turn. The Mayors lack of skills and respect for other people is the prime reason this City cannot move ahead as long as he is in office; and the prime reason that he should step down.
Because

West Roxbury, MA

#172 Jan 20, 2013
The Y is a Christian hate group?

You are out of your mind. I sincerely hope you do not own a gun. You sound highly unstable.
I Support City Hall wrote:
<quoted text>
Our Mayor is so brave for standing up to the withering attacks of you haters from Main Street First and the Christian hate-groups like the YMCA. You have tried for four years now to get under our Mayor's skin with your meddling and your FOILing, and he just laughs at you and your antics. Real citizens of Little Falls support our Mayor, and people who sign your Main Street First petitions for hateful Christian brainwashing organizations like the YMCA are clearly being tricked by your devious propaganda. Of course we need a full-time Assessor to pursue investigations of the misuse of exempt property by churches and non-profits, and we will need even more staff in the Assessor's office to prepare for the litigation the churches and non-profits will no doubt file against the City in their cowardly and greedy efforts to avoid paying their fair share of property taxes. But how can you not see clearly that those jobs create new revenues for the City? I'll tell you how, because your stubborn Main Street First and Christian dogmas blind you to reason and common sense.
Interesting

Jamesville, NY

#173 Jan 20, 2013
I Support City Hall wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like the mayor is trying to justify hiring someone to help his new assessor. I bet we all know who that will be.
bobble boo

Herkimer, NY

#174 Jan 20, 2013
We had a full time accessor through the county, nothing changed, until our mayor chose to end the contract with the county and hire his new squeeze. Against the vocal opinion of all the citizens at that council meeting. Not to mention half the council. What an arrogant a-hole.
the knight

Marlborough, MA

#175 Jan 20, 2013
Disturbing wrote:
<quoted text>People have been talking for months now about signs the city is preparing to start taxing the churches and the clubs like Elks and the Vets. Ever since the incident with Elks at Canal Days I have been aware that the non profits are in the city's gun sights. I find it very disturbing that city hall has not come out and denied these rumors.
Elks pay property taxes now. Over 4 grand.
Huh

Herkimer, NY

#176 Jan 20, 2013
the knight wrote:
<quoted text>
The Vets are next. I hope those fish fries were worth it.
Huh

Jamesville, NY

#177 Jan 20, 2013
the knight wrote:
<quoted text>
This was not the brain child of the mayor. Taxing the nonprofits had to be presented to him.I would bet it was our assessor and hence his reasoning for offering employment and giving approval for the fact finding.
being real

Little Falls, NY

#178 Jan 20, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
The Vets are next. I hope those fish fries were worth it.
Vets clubs are safe.They didn't talk the talk,they walked the walk!
Disagree

Herkimer, NY

#179 Jan 20, 2013
being real wrote:
<quoted text>Vets clubs are safe.They didn't talk the talk,they walked the walk!
None of the non-profits are safe. The YMCA thought it was safe, for pretty obvious reasons, but look what happened to them. That for-profit fish fry and that banquet hall are going to cost the Vets their property tax exemption, you wait and see.
Vet

Herkimer, NY

#180 Jan 20, 2013
Disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
None of the non-profits are safe. The YMCA thought it was safe, for pretty obvious reasons, but look what happened to them. That for-profit fish fry and that banquet hall are going to cost the Vets their property tax exemption, you wait and see.
It will only cost the vet clubs their tax exemptions if the vets left their balls overseas. If they've still got a pair, the only thing all this will cost is that it will cost Peters and Presta their jobs.
Supporter

Herkimer, NY

#181 Jan 21, 2013
being real wrote:
<quoted text>Vets clubs are safe.They didn't talk the talk,they walked the walk!
Most vets spend a couple of years walking the walk, but then they spend the rest of their lives on a barstool, drinking cheap beer and endlessly talking the talk.

Why should they get a tax break just to have a place where they can get drunk and make up war stories? Get real, man. Nobody gives a shit what you did back in 1944. They need to start paying their fair share, just like everyone else.

And don't tell me about how these are all retired people living on Social Security and Vet's Pensions, fixed-income and yellow flag stuff like that. Those of us who actually work for a living would love to have a fixed income. These people survived Hitler, and Vietnam, and Iraq. They can survive paying their fair share of taxes, too.
I Support the Mayor

Herkimer, NY

#182 Jan 21, 2013
Vet wrote:
<quoted text>
It will only cost the vet clubs their tax exemptions if the vets left their balls overseas. If they've still got a pair, the only thing all this will cost is that it will cost Peters and Presta their jobs.
You mean, like how they rolled over like frightened puppies when the Lutheran Church threatened to arrest them for using the ancient right of way to decorate the Medal of Honor winner's grave? Bwahahaha! The Vets are going on the tax rolls where they belong! Mark my words, they will pay their fair share of taxes along with the churches and the not for profits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salisbury Center Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jamo's Restaurant & Bar grand opening! 40 min taco bell 29
Worst Fire Dept in History 1 hr yea 17
Thinking of Buying a Home in Little Falls, NY? 1 hr Rednap Howls 9
Another Budget Meeting 2 hr On the outs 18
Devil King Rises 2 hr Big Red 2
Arrests of Kyle Hart and Kyle Lynch today 2/12/... 2 hr watcher 12
Herkimer DA and County Court lose jury trial 5 hr Factoid 25
More from around the web

Salisbury Center People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE