MAX van runs stop sign; Hope golfer c...

MAX van runs stop sign; Hope golfer critical

There are 30 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Oct 10, 2008, titled MAX van runs stop sign; Hope golfer critical. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A Hope College senior was critically injured Friday when a MAX van ran a stop sign and hit his car, which rolled several times on west 22nd Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
michael g

Dorr, MI

#2 Oct 10, 2008
Yet another reason to dislike mass transit.
speed racer

Morley, MI

#3 Oct 10, 2008
thats what happen if your guys ran the stop sign

“http://.mommyspe aceofmind.com”

Since: Aug 08

West Olive, MI

#4 Oct 10, 2008
Just terrible, though it sounds like the kid wasn't wearing his seat belt. I hope he recovers, he is getting excellent care at the U of M.
teeter l

Florence, AZ

#5 Oct 10, 2008
I am so very sad for everyone involved here. One more reason for everyone to pay attention when driving, and to ALWAYS wear your seat belts everytime you get into your car.

rval3

Since: Jul 08

United States

#6 Oct 10, 2008
quick question:
the MAX driver ran a "yield" sign? aren't those only in lower speed limit zones, 25mph or 35mph maximum?
Jennifer

United States

#7 Oct 11, 2008
I will keep Ryan in my thoughts and prayers. I really, really hope and pray that he pulls through this. I hope Wood keeps us updated on how he is doing. Is the MAX van like the RAPID? Thank goodness the police were nearby and were able to help get the vehicle off of him along with the others that helped.
From Holland

Holland, MI

#8 Oct 11, 2008
rval3 wrote:
quick question:
the MAX driver ran a "yield" sign? aren't those only in lower speed limit zones, 25mph or 35mph maximum?
The MAX driver ran a "STOP" sign!
From Holland

Holland, MI

#9 Oct 11, 2008
Jennifer wrote:
I will keep Ryan in my thoughts and prayers. I really, really hope and pray that he pulls through this. I hope Wood keeps us updated on how he is doing. Is the MAX van like the RAPID? Thank goodness the police were nearby and were able to help get the vehicle off of him along with the others that helped.
Same here. My family saw the whole thing happen.
What we think is that the MAX van did stop. But then kept on going, thinking it was a 4 way stop. Her van barely had any damage done. I will be praying for Ryan as well. And yes, the MAX is like the RAPID. They have busses and vans.
ANN

Holland, MI

#10 Oct 11, 2008
THIER ARE ONES WHO RIDE THE MAX BUS THAT ARE DISTRACTING THE DRIVERS. I RIDE IT ALL THE TIME AND HAVE SEEN MANY NEAR ACCIDENTS. BECAUSE THE RIDERS DISTRACT THE DRIVERS. THEY ALWAYS WANT TO TALK TO THEM. AND THE DRIVER SHOULD NOT TALK TO THE PASSENGERS WHILE IN MOTON.AND CELL PHONES GO OFF TOO. THEY SHOULD MAKE IT A RULE NO TALKING TO THE DRIVER AND NO CELL PHONE CALLS EITHER.MAX NEEDS TO CHANGE THIS. OR WE WILL HAVE MORE OF THE SAME.
22nd st resident

United States

#11 Oct 11, 2008
The speed limit is 25 mph on 22nd st. this wonderfull hope college student must have been
driving at a recless speed in order to roll his
car three times.There are a lot of children in
this nieghborhood slow down!
Trix-C

Holland, MI

#12 Oct 11, 2008
My thoughts and prayers to Ryan and his family during this difficult time. And..........thank God the Police officer and the other folks happened to be so close and able to get him out so soon, I'd have to say they saved this one from being fatal upon arrival. May all the prayers from everyone be enough to pull him through this! Let's not point fingers to any involved, I'm sure this women Max driver didn't have this planned for her life. I also pray for her during this time as well.
flying dutchmen

Grandville, MI

#13 Oct 11, 2008
22nd st resident wrote:
The speed limit is 25 mph on 22nd st. this wonderfull hope college student must have been
driving at a recless speed in order to roll his
car three times.There are a lot of children in
this nieghborhood slow down!
Hopefully there are not any children out at 12:30 in the morning! Im glad that you agree that Hope College students are wonderful! I give these kids credit for going to school and at least trying to make something of their lives. They could be like the rest of the population in their neighborhood who dont care if they have jobs or do anything positive in the community.
whatever

Grand Haven, MI

#14 Oct 11, 2008
flying dutchmen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully there are not any children out at 12:30 in the morning!
I believe the accident occured at 12:30 pm, just after noon time.
kalamazoo

United States

#15 Oct 11, 2008
Praying for hs recovery and my God wrap his loving arms around all involved. God Bless
Me too

Denver, CO

#16 Oct 11, 2008
flying dutchmen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully there are not any children out at 12:30 in the morning! Im glad that you agree that Hope College students are wonderful! I give these kids credit for going to school and at least trying to make something of their lives. They could be like the rest of the population in their neighborhood who dont care if they have jobs or do anything positive in the community.
College is great....IF you can afford to go! a lot of us have to WORK for a living!
Jeff

Reedsville, WI

#17 Oct 11, 2008
He was wearing a seatbelt, but the seatbelt failed him as it broke thus causing him to be ejected. Speed was NOT a factor in this crash simple physics were.
kathyoliver

Holland, MI

#18 Oct 11, 2008
10-11-08 i hope ryan pulls through.i like taking the max.kathyoliver from holland mi
ohbrutus

Chicago, IL

#19 Oct 12, 2008
22nd st resident wrote:
The speed limit is 25 mph on 22nd st. this wonderfull hope college student must have been
driving at a recless speed in order to roll his
car three times.There are a lot of children in
this nieghborhood slow down!
You are so wrong, if it is hit in the right spot it can do many things. I was in an accident during the winter, going less then 20mph in a 55mph had a car bump me in the behind and I then hurt the crub, I rolled our van 3 times, so before you JUMP on the young man know your facts, the MAX bus ran a stop sign and hit him..
Jason in 08

United States

#20 Oct 12, 2008
ohbrutus wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so wrong, if it is hit in the right spot it can do many things. I was in an accident during the winter, going less then 20mph in a 55mph had a car bump me in the behind and I then hurt the crub, I rolled our van 3 times, so before you JUMP on the young man know your facts, the MAX bus ran a stop sign and hit him..
damned crubs anyways......
slf80

Holland, MI

#21 Oct 12, 2008
From Holland wrote:
<quoted text>
Same here. My family saw the whole thing happen.
What we think is that the MAX van did stop. But then kept on going, thinking it was a 4 way stop. Her van barely had any damage done. I will be praying for Ryan as well. And yes, the MAX is like the RAPID. They have busses and vans.
Is anyone conerned for the driver!!! Are there any thoughts and prayers going out to her! Im sure the driver is traumatized by all of this, and is feeling terrible about the whole thing, and had no intention on seriously inguring someone. And for those of you who think you know what happened, you dont, you werent there, how do you know she ran the stop sign, do you believe everything you hear??? Thet havent even done an investigation yet so how can the media write false things, when they dont even know, they shouldnt write anything unless they know!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saline Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Westland Hit-And-Run Victim Dies (Aug '08) Mon Mucher 88
Lol Jun 26 No sense 9
U of M hand painted birdhouses for sale... Jun 17 wondering 2
News Business Leaders Get Behind Detroit-Area Transi... Jun 3 Pop the Weasel 1
News Celebrating 30 years of salmon May 31 Hopi 1
Shy Enterprises has anyone worked for them? (Mar '09) May '16 skoopman734 233
News Prison officer burned by microwave mix (Dec '08) May '16 Al H 80
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Saline Mortgages