Home Front: Saline students drink alc...

Home Front: Saline students drink alcohol in Germany, cause stir

There are 3 comments on the The Saline Reporter-Heritage Newspapers-Washtenaw County, MI story from Aug 5, 2009, titled Home Front: Saline students drink alcohol in Germany, cause stir. In it, The Saline Reporter-Heritage Newspapers-Washtenaw County, MI reports that:

As last week started to get under way, I had some information brought to my attention regarding a recent trip to Germany by the Saline Fiddlers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Saline Reporter-Heritage Newspapers-Washtenaw County, MI.

Band Mom

Edison, NJ

#1 Aug 9, 2009
Isn't Ben Culver the orchestra teacher at Saline Middle School? I remember seeing this group in the high school yearbook last year. Where the chaperone's and teacher drinking as well? I hope the student who got "sick" was treated for alcohol poisoning.

So glad I have a band student. This story is shocking and tragic that there is not better leadership, that a full one half of the students were drinking. Saline Area Schools, you can and should do better than this on a chaperoned trip. Putting it behind you is not the answer. These students should be mandated to attend alcohol abuse counseling at this point. Studies have shown an increased propensity to abuse alcohol the younger one is introduced to it.

I'd be so angry if it were my son who was on that trip, even if he was in the half that didn't drink. Maybe the teacher and chaperones should do Community Service too.
abc

Centertown, KY

#2 Jul 25, 2010
what
the truth

Lincoln Park, MI

#3 Sep 8, 2010
Saline Fiddlers is a private non-profit 501(c)(3)that is not governed by nor a part of Saline Area Schools. The School rules do not follow a person in Germany and do not apply. The legal drinking age in Germany is 16 years old. The members who elected to drink while in Germany did so against the very firm and strict mandate of the Saline Fiddler leadership who does not drink ever and is opposed to any alcohol consumption. However, since the members were all in the care of their German hosts there was great pressure on them to indulge in what is customary culture in Germany. You can keep your kids in a box or locked closet but someday, whether you like it or not, they will make decisions for themselves.
The only reason the article was ever published was because there is another fiddle group in Saline that rides the coat tails of the Saline Fiddlers and is very jealous of their success. Someone from their group influenced the local newspaper to write the story hoping to garner negative publicity for the Saline Fiddlers. The story was, in fact, a mis-interpretation of the facts surrounding what it labelled as a "stir". The stir was that the parents were all upset with the severity of the consequences that Saline Fiddler leadership issued to the members who did not follow the rules.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saline Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sons Of Liberty Never Left. The 3s growing. Jul 20 Norman Freeman 1
ypsi dj Jul 15 mikesheldon1 1
Garry Parris Jul 12 Smee 1
News Michigan's Jim Harbaugh joins YouTube Jul 8 MichLuver 1
Ypsilanti Music Selection (Aug '12) May '17 Musikologist 18
News Black Muslims aim for unity in challenging time... Apr '17 Banjo 2
Norgren (NAS) formerly Syron Engineering- Salin... (May '11) Feb '16 Disgusted 20

Saline Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Saline Mortgages