Hazel Park closing 2 schools

Apr 27, 2007 Full story: Daily Tribune 23

“If we don't cut (an anticipated) deficit, the state will take over the district”

Despite continued resident objections, school board members on Monday voted to close Ford and Longfellow Elementary Schools in an effort to save the district $3 million and avoid future deficits. via Daily Tribune

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rolando

Gilbert, AZ

#21 Aug 30, 2008
I think the alterations made to the Hazel Park Schools are very good. I'm a first-hand witness, and enjoyed the changes very much. I met people I would've never met, did things I wouldn't have done. After leaving United Oaks, I went to Beecher for the first semester of my Seventh Grade year. Then, as you all know, right after winter break, they combined Beecher and Webb into HPJH. It was beautiful, and built just for us. Each Junior High offered different things, and to combine the two was great, giving each student a more prospective opportunity.
Then, there's the additions made to the High School. The weight room and small gym have served greatly. Whether it was football training all summer long, or Challenge Day to create a more tolerant environment, these things opened up opportunites for my peers and my self.
Surely enough, United Oaks was also rebuilt. The year the opened it up was the year my sister began Kindergarten. My family couldn't have been happier to see her in such a great learning environment, far away from nests of mice and roach infestations of the 90-some-odd year old United Oaks I had to attend from 3rd grade on. And having closed Ford down was just fine, because the new United Oaks had room to house many-a-children thriving for a primary education.
My point is that everyone makes such a big deal about the school closings, but they don't look at the pros. The school closings gave the children more opportunities. Let's not also forget that the city voted as a whole to accept a 56 million dollar grant, in which they knew would raise their taxes. However, these ctizens, so keen of their narrow understanding, wanted to pay minimum, and didn't care about the reprecussions. Well, because they wanted their cake and wanted to eat it too, the school board had to find a way to compensate for, just for term's sake, lost cake. So, they closed down Ford. They combined elementaries into Webb and made a great program there. I'm 17, and what would be a Senior at Hazel Park High School. However, in January of 2008, I moved to Arizona. I can tell you that, after doing some serious school shopping for my senior year, no school has compared to Hazel Park except one, and that's 35 minutes away. The staff that cares, the excellent programs and traditions, an arts program worth watching, it was all amazing! I know that there is much sentimentality behind my opinion, but I'm living the contrast, and I can tell you there's no comparison. So, don't knock Hazel Park Schools. I would send my kids there given the chance I'll have some someday. And I would be extremely proud, and make sure they were extremely proud, to graduate from the school I'm supposed to be graduating from this coming June. Hazel Park Schools care, and in the end, you'll find that that's what matters the most.
Regina

Broken Arrow, OK

#22 Jan 14, 2013
I too grew up in Hazel Park in the late 50s and all the 60s went to Henry ford elementry.And loved it, myself and my 3 siblings all attended there. Again tough teachers and firm parents are the reason any one makes it through school at all now it seams neither one is preasent in our schools any where. Also it was so cool to read from someone who lived on George street because that was the street we lived on . I did not think any one in the whole world would know where that was. Thanks for the memories.
Jordan Mac

Novi, MI

#23 Mar 13, 2013
I grew up in h.p. I went to The cars program and then Webster and Roosevelt elementary. I attended Webb jr high then hazel park high. The city as a whole has been on a downward spiral for a long time. But that being said my education was still given to me as if I was in a private school. I had plenty of teachers that went out of their way to make sure students understood. The school closings are understood because of the cost to keep doors open. The economy sucks. The people who live in the area of those schools I'm sure will feel it's not fair because now their child or children have to attend a bigger or different school. So if that pertains to you please STOP COMPLAINING and realize that change has to happen in order for all needs to be met.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saline Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Detroit Manufacturing Systems to hire 200 for F... Thu Tenetia 1
Coyote in Ann Arbor city limits? (Jan '09) Oct 28 Go Blue Forever 35
Exclusive screening of swearnet the movie, a fi... Oct 25 Robert_Swearnet 1
Noel Allen Miller Jr Oct 22 John 3
Shannon Greene Oct 19 learnedthehardway 1
Busch's Fresh Food Market bucks gloom (Nov '08) Oct 18 Wolverine33 24
T r a m a d o l & X A N A X and much more Oct 17 doc real 1
Saline Dating
Find my Match

Saline People Search