Former girlfriend charged with first-...

Former girlfriend charged with first-degree murder in death of Salinas attorney

There are 30 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Sep 8, 2010, titled Former girlfriend charged with first-degree murder in death of Salinas attorney. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

A Salinas attorney allegedly slain by his former girlfriend was bludgeoned and asphyxiated, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dorothy

United States

#1 Sep 8, 2010
Barnett's performance in front of the press following the arraignment proceeding was disturbing. This is an extremely serious case and this defendant needs someone to represent her who has much more experience.
Inquiring Minds

United States

#3 Sep 8, 2010
Is this the same Kimberly Barnett who in another article in today's Herald refused to plea her rapist defendant to a 32 year sentence, and instead he is now facing 200 years to life?
Good call!

Since: Sep 09

Carmel Valley, CA

#5 Sep 8, 2010
Inquiring Minds wrote:
Is this the same Kimberly Barnett who in another article in today's Herald refused to plea her rapist defendant to a 32 year sentence, and instead he is now facing 200 years to life?
Good call!
I don't think the attorney decides what to plea. I would assume it's her client who decided to go to trial and not plead out.
NIMBY

Monterey, CA

#9 Sep 8, 2010
This family may have a difficult time finding a competent attorney to represent her. Mark was a well respected, well liked attorney in the community. That said, I don't think it matters who represents her. This case will surely have the same outcome regardless.
paul

Mill Valley, CA

#11 Sep 8, 2010
Dorothy wrote:
Barnett's performance in front of the press following the arraignment proceeding was disturbing. This is an extremely serious case and this defendant needs someone to represent her who has much more experience.
looking at the picture of the two of them, it's hard to tell which is the crazy one.
scary

Salinas, CA

#12 Sep 8, 2010
Fatal attraction.
Lwayer

Salinas, CA

#13 Sep 8, 2010
Did she have a problem dating older man that probably manipulated her and abuse her.
Reason

San Jose, CA

#14 Sep 8, 2010
Lwayer wrote:
Did she have a problem dating older man that probably manipulated her and abuse her.
Please do not blame the victim in this case. This woman has a verifiable pattern of violence towards men. It is not surprising given her conduct for a decade that she finally murdered someone. If you want to blame anyone blame her.
Lwayer

Salinas, CA

#15 Sep 8, 2010
Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do not blame the victim in this case. This woman has a verifiable pattern of violence towards men. It is not surprising given her conduct for a decade that she finally murdered someone. If you want to blame anyone blame her.
So you know her whole life story from birth. I am not blaming the victim you are the one that is blaming someone.
Reason

San Jose, CA

#16 Sep 8, 2010
Lwayer wrote:
<quoted text>So you know her whole life story from birth. I am not blaming the victim you are the one that is blaming someone.
Not her whole life story. Just her crimnal record and history of restraining orders against her. If three different judges found her to be violent that is a good start.
WHAT DO YOU REALLY KNOW

Salinas, CA

#17 Sep 9, 2010
Lwayer wrote:
WHY IS IT WHEN A MAN IS CHARGED WITH A CRIME AGAINST A WOMAN, THE D.A. CHARGES HIM WITH AS MANY TRUMP UP CHARGES AS THEY CAN? AND WHEN A WOMAN DOES THE SAME THING AGAINST A MAN THE D.A. DOESN'T CHARGE THE WOMAN THE SAME WAY? NOW YOUR SAYING SHE WAS MANIPULATED AND ABUSED???? YOU OBVIOUSLY DID NOT READ WERE SHE HAD TWO RESTRAINING ORDERS FILED AGAINST HER, OR HOW SHE WAS CHARGED WITH A WEAPON AND GOT PROBATION OUT OF THAT DEAL. ALL THAT HAPPENED YEARS BEFORE SHE MURDERED SOME ONE! IF IT WERE A MAN I PROMISE YOU IT WOULD NOT HAVE TURNED OUT LIKE THAT! WOMEN AND MEN ARE NOT TREATED THE SAME IN MONTEREY COUNTY FOR THE SAME CRIMES COMMITTED HERE! IT IS NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT TO PROSECUTE A WOMAN FOR DOING THE SAME CRIMES AS A MAN! JUST LOOK BACK IN TIME HERE IN MONTEREY COUNTY. WOMEN GET AWAY WITH MURDERING THERE SPOUSES, MEN SERVE THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF TIME MOST OF THE TIME FOR THE SAME CRIME! YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE WHAT I SAID, AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO AGREE WITH ME, BUT THE SAD SAD TRUTH IS, IT'S VERY TRUE!
WHAT DO YOU REALLY KNOW

Salinas, CA

#19 Sep 9, 2010
Lwayer wrote:
<quoted text>So you know her whole life story from birth. I am not blaming the victim you are the one that is blaming someone.
If your not blaming the victim, please tell me what you would call it? Your post is all about what if she had problems with men, tell me how thats not blaming the victim? I'm going to assume you are a woman. And That every time something happens between a male and female it's always the males fault. Your probably one of the females that call the police,probation officer or parole officer and lie to manipulate them to get your spouse put in jail or prison! Yes it happens all the time. A woman lies and then gets caught in the lie and is rewarded for doing so. She is not charged with a crime and here it has cost the male time money and sometimes jobs because of lies. The system does not care what it cost a guy to be falsely accused, they only care about convections at any cost!
Lwayer

Salinas, CA

#20 Sep 9, 2010
WHAT DO YOU REALLY KNOW wrote:
<quoted text>
If your not blaming the victim, please tell me what you would call it? Your post is all about what if she had problems with men, tell me how thats not blaming the victim? I'm going to assume you are a woman. And That every time something happens between a male and female it's always the males fault. Your probably one of the females that call the police,probation officer or parole officer and lie to manipulate them to get your spouse put in jail or prison! Yes it happens all the time. A woman lies and then gets caught in the lie and is rewarded for doing so. She is not charged with a crime and here it has cost the male time money and sometimes jobs because of lies. The system does not care what it cost a guy to be falsely accused, they only care about convections at any cost!
It sound like your women beats the crap out, by all means report to the police. Or maybe you don't know how to treat a women try being nice to them it return they might put a smile on your face.
Lwayer

Salinas, CA

#22 Sep 10, 2010
<quoted text>
It truly sounds like you wouldn't know how to treat anyone including your self. I would suggest you get some very good counsellings from someone that knows how to treat people with your condition! ignorance is a rapped and growing problem. The first step is always, take your head out of your rear end so you can get oxygen to the brain,and then a healthy fart to release the pressure from within so that tiny little thing you call a brain can expand and maybe one day work right for you! Keep dreaming, it may happen for you one day!
I will try your advice, but what I don't understand is why you recommend it to me if it did not work for you. You still sound like a sour person, try being nice and smile.
dan

Los Angeles, CA

#23 Sep 12, 2010
This is truly a sad occurrence of events. This woman needs help, legal mental and spiritual. Most importantly though, she should never be allowed back into society. Let us hope our legal system does its job. Verginia Turner will answer to a higher authority, rest assured of that.
elwood

Salinas, CA

#25 Sep 26, 2010
if their were so many calls to the police Department and on record at the home of Hafmen and she had bean evicted and restraitin order on her why wasn't she exscorte out of the home of the arguing and fighting not accusing that this man as a lawyer is at fault of death but in some cases is it that police took the wrong side cause at the time it was his fault of the fighting and arguing you would think they would had arrested her at fault before his death but in this case it seem they let it go for the lawyer being at fault i would think i could be wrong but as i read up on some of comments and it also says as they where drinking that means the both of them and she would get viliate there wuld be a provocoted to
elwood

Salinas, CA

#26 Sep 26, 2010
4ewahi wrote:
I have been in this situation befor so speaking from experience here is how you never have to encounter it and how you can nip it in the bud. Just don't hook up with a b#&!h like that.
you are so true i realy agree
elwood

Salinas, CA

#27 Oct 11, 2010
elwood wrote:
<quoted text> you are so true i realy agree
that was not for that comment that you or so true i realy agree it was suppose to comment on some one els comment
oohwee

Monterey, CA

#28 Oct 11, 2010
I really think there is more to this story. This woman may have a history of domestic violence, but if for some reason this man had a history of any thing out of the ordinary we surely will never now, because of the fact he was an attorney. Im not saying this woman was right at all, but there was calls to the home when they both were there, so maybe the call records should be over looked and see what exactly was going on. Why were the police called, and if there was a restraining order the man could of had her arrested if he really wanted her to leave the cops most likely could of just arrested her on there own for violating that order. But in all reality if she was an attorney or someone well respected, i know alot of things would be different and we all wouldnt know a thing about her history. Its really sad because nobody honestly knows what happened behind closed doors, the secretary says he told her things, but i wonder if there wasnt something going on between the both of them. Maybe thats why the woman called and showed up at his office so much?
elwood

Salinas, CA

#29 Oct 23, 2010
<quoted text>
WHY IS IT WHEN A MAN IS CHARGED WITH A CRIME AGAINST A WOMAN, THE D.A. CHARGES HIM WITH AS MANY TRUMP UP CHARGES AS THEY CAN? AND WHEN A WOMAN DOES THE SAME THING AGAINST A MAN THE D.A. DOESN'T CHARGE THE WOMAN THE SAME WAY? NOW YOUR SAYING SHE WAS MANIPULATED AND ABUSED???? YOU OBVIOUSLY DID NOT READ WERE SHE HAD TWO RESTRAINING ORDERS FILED AGAINST HER, OR HOW SHE WAS CHARGED WITH A WEAPON AND GOT PROBATION OUT OF THAT DEAL. ALL THAT HAPPENED YEARS BEFORE SHE MURDERED SOME ONE! IF IT WERE A MAN I PROMISE YOU IT WOULD NOT HAVE TURNED OUT LIKE THAT! WOMEN AND MEN ARE NOT TREATED THE SAME IN MONTEREY COUNTY FOR THE SAME CRIMES COMMITTED HERE! IT IS NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT TO PROSECUTE A WOMAN FOR DOING THE SAME CRIMES AS A MAN! JUST LOOK BACK IN TIME HERE IN MONTEREY COUNTY. WOMEN GET AWAY WITH MURDERING THERE SPOUSES, MEN SERVE THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF TIME MOST OF THE TIME FOR THE SAME CRIME! YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE WHAT I SAID, AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO AGREE WITH ME, BUT THE SAD SAD TRUTH IS, IT'S VERY TRUE!
have you heard of stated of libriration and if anything ther had 2 be profoked 2 these situation the secratary showed no grief on the talk show so for 16 yrs im sugesting they wer also having a relationship since she new so much abot him how do we no in his finacialy situation she provoceted alot of it sound like she was fatal and had all actsess to his finacial income and ther argueing and fighting had alot to do with her or even caught them together she must of had ended up with men that could not be faithful so surly you would respond to action the way her abuse mentaly and and confused of love

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salinas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ap Photos: Highlights of the 2016 race for the ... May 26 Reverend Hightoan 2
Toilet Monitors Need Sensitivity Training May 26 pheeeeeewee 1
Fart Odor To Linger Many More Months May 22 Father Belltranetto 1
Review: Asian Filipino Market (Oct '12) May 20 amadeo urgonamiko 4
Homeless 4 Mayor, Council, Police, Services May 20 neoliberla fakes 1
News Redwood City approves highway undercrossing: Pa... May 14 Lives in Redwood ... 2
Slick as Catshitt on Linoleum Opens May 12 goesdownas 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Salinas Mortgages