Swearing in of Mr. Samples

Posted in the Salem Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nancy

Weston, WV

#1 Aug 20, 2012
Tonight's meeting of the City Council has been canceled because Bobby Samples has refused to be sworn in as Mayor. Therefore, there are no agenda items.
salemdailynews

Weston, WV

#2 Aug 20, 2012
And the beat goes on .
here u go

Snowshoe, WV

#3 Aug 20, 2012
that is easy enough fixed the gang of 4 sticks together and appoints a new vice mayor who will then take the mayors role problem solved
Max

Weston, WV

#4 Aug 20, 2012
Nancy wrote:
Tonight's meeting of the City Council has been canceled because Bobby Samples has refused to be sworn in as Mayor. Therefore, there are no agenda items.
Is he skeeeeeeeerrrrrrrd of Stamm?
Nancy

Weston, WV

#5 Aug 20, 2012
I don't know. Ask him.
here u go

Snowshoe, WV

#6 Aug 20, 2012
he is a jelly fish no back bone and is a gonna doer gonna do this or that another appointed flunkie
Max

Weston, WV

#7 Aug 20, 2012
here u go wrote:
he is a jelly fish no back bone and is a gonna doer gonna do this or that another appointed flunkie
Yeah Samples will hold out for his terms before he agrees to take the Job.
here u go

Snowshoe, WV

#8 Aug 20, 2012
max it is obvious if you read the charter it is clear when the mayor can no longer serve the vice mayor becomes mayor what samples has done is to thumb his nose at the oath he has taken and poked his finger in the eye of salem and what the citizens have said itt is time for him to go with the other one
Nancy

Weston, WV

#9 Aug 20, 2012
Max- What do you think his terms are?
salemdailynews

Weston, WV

#10 Aug 21, 2012
I think we should just do away with the Mayor position all together! Some of the mayors, not all,have never done a damn bit of good anyway and all they are is a tiebreaker vote for council and glorified ribbon cutter to which we have no ribbons to cut because of the bs this town goes thru yr after yr. Lets start moving forward and build Salem up for a change!
JUST ME

Weston, WV

#11 Aug 22, 2012
I'm going to play devils advocate here. I can understand why Samples refused the Mayors position. If he wants to really make a difference in Salem how is he going to do that being Mayor? As I understand the mayor position doesn't really make alot of difference in what happens to the town so why would he want that title if he wants to make a difference?
Nancy

Weston, WV

#12 Aug 22, 2012
JUST ME wrote:
I'm going to play devils advocate here. I can understand why Samples refused the Mayors position. If he wants to really make a difference in Salem how is he going to do that being Mayor? As I understand the mayor position doesn't really make alot of difference in what happens to the town so why would he want that title if he wants to make a difference?
Good point.
salemdailynews

Weston, WV

#13 Aug 22, 2012
I do believe your right on point with who would want such a position as Mayor however, fact is once you accept the position as vice mayor I believe that if a vacancy does occur that you are then to be placed in as mayor as the charter states. By turning this down it seems Mr Samples is not following the rules of the charter.I may be wrong on this but I will check.
Max

Weston, WV

#14 Aug 22, 2012
salemdailynews wrote:
I do believe your right on point with who would want such a position as Mayor however, fact is once you accept the position as vice mayor I believe that if a vacancy does occur that you are then to be placed in as mayor as the charter states. By turning this down it seems Mr Samples is not following the rules of the charter.I may be wrong on this but I will check.
Who follows the rules in Salem?
JUST ME

Weston, WV

#15 Aug 22, 2012
salemdailynews wrote:
Makes sense on the vice mayor, I didn't realize Samples was Vice Mayor. Definitely been too long since I have been to a meeting.
Nancy

Weston, WV

#16 Aug 29, 2012
Is Mr. Samples ready to take the job as Mayor now? Or does City Council have to elect a new Vice Mayor?

Are voters willing to pay for a recall?

I think the city charter needs an update, don't you?
The truth

Hepzibah, WV

#17 Sep 2, 2012
here u go wrote:
max it is obvious if you read the charter it is clear when the mayor can no longer serve the vice mayor becomes mayor what samples has done is to thumb his nose at the oath he has taken and poked his finger in the eye of salem and what the citizens have said itt is time for him to go with the other one
Samples will not allow himself to be sworn in as Mayor for one simple reason -- he has studied the law and knows that council's attempt to remove Stamm is completely illegal.
can you stand

Parkersburg, WV

#18 Sep 3, 2012
Which way is the wind blowing today? It normally blows from Lake Floyd west!!! Pretty sure that he had an MRI done and the results looked similar to an earthworm (no spine)!!! Both want you to be convinced that they are intelligent!!! One has good intentions the other has his own agenda!!! And you can bet it is for personal gain!!! In the meantime Salem is the "joke" of Harrison County. Samples can commend you.
Nancy

Weston, WV

#19 Sep 3, 2012
No one is Mayor, nobody wants to be Mayor. Does Salem need a Mayor? I know the charter says yes, but charters can be changed.--Isn't there supposed to be a committee to review and revise the charter?
Did some checking

Parkersburg, WV

#20 Sep 4, 2012
If the Vice Mayor does not step in as Mayor then he also automatically forfeits his council seat! Was told that is how Stamm had take over as Mayor.....because he was Vice Mayor and if he would not have stepped in as Mayor he could not stay on Council. Was told that it was in the Charter and the minutes when Plaugher resigned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shots fired in Bridgeport 2 hr fakeusername 14
Eckenrodes 5 hr Steve Earle 4
Why is the city manager making 150k a year? 5 hr Unnamed Source 32
Places to eat 15 hr Hopeless 3
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 16 hr Bee 4,300
Brittany Green 19 hr Random passerby 14
Cop sitting at... Sun Reality tv 54

Salem Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance