Environmentalists' spring break set f...

Environmentalists' spring break set for Va., W.Va.

There are 42 comments on the WCHS-TV Charleston story from Feb 18, 2013, titled Environmentalists' spring break set for Va., W.Va.. In it, WCHS-TV Charleston reports that:

Annual spring break outings aimed at educating and training environmental activists will focus this year on the downsides of coal mining in Virginia and gas drilling in West Virginia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCHS-TV Charleston.

Since: Feb 08

Greenwood WV

#21 Mar 15, 2013
"When this group comes to rural communities, they ASK members of the community if they want this type of direct action. They asked several of us what the "mood" was in Doddridge (i.e. how do we feel about what the industry is doing to us and do we want them to protest for us.)

Of course, they soon learned that most county folks would view them as "tree-hugging hippies" Just as the person posting as "Transporter" pretty much did above."

It's more than that. I think other than the roads being a mess and the increased traffic, most people in the county want the gas drilling to stay. More jobs. People are getting money for leasing their property and mineral rights.

Other people I know have allowed the pipeline on their property because if they didn't, their neighbor would. So they'd still have to live with it but not be compensated. Which would be even worse.

Some are building a new house, buying new cars, paying for their kids to go to college.... money talks and Antero has it.

I think the saddest part of this whole thing is that most people think that once they are done drilling & laying pipe, everything is going to go back to the same as it was. And it isn't. Maybe then, people will be outraged, maybe not. Maybe they'll be glad because we'll have bigger roads, box stores, fast food places....all the city stuff that they now drive to neighboring counties for. Just my opinion.
We Need

United States

#22 Mar 17, 2013
Radium, Mercury, Benzene, Acetaldehyde, formaldehyde, Naphthalene, Methanol, Ammonium Chloride, Arsenic and Lead. Think about it folks!

A recent article in the Clarksburg Exponent States that Researchers Cite Poorly Trained DEP inspectors. The Researchers were from West Virginia University.

I think that we need all the environmentalist groups tree hugging hippies that we can find. When all the big companies are gone, the make shift campsites empty (many are already empty) and there are rooms now available at the local hotels and motels, WV will be left with ALOT of toxic waste. It is all about greed, money talks and our officials are turning a blind eye. It is a very sad situation for Doddridge County and the state of WV.

Greenwood WV

#23 Mar 17, 2013
It's not just our officials. I don't think most of our citizens care either. They want the jobs & the money, even if for just a short time. I don't think people really care what the consequences are. That's just my opinion from talking to people & listening to what they have to say about the situation.
We Need wrote:
Radium, Mercury, Benzene, Acetaldehyde, formaldehyde, Naphthalene, Methanol, Ammonium Chloride, Arsenic and Lead. Think about it folks!
A recent article in the Clarksburg Exponent States that Researchers Cite Poorly Trained DEP inspectors. The Researchers were from West Virginia University.
I think that we need all the environmentalist groups tree hugging hippies that we can find. When all the big companies are gone, the make shift campsites empty (many are already empty) and there are rooms now available at the local hotels and motels, WV will be left with ALOT of toxic waste. It is all about greed, money talks and our officials are turning a blind eye. It is a very sad situation for Doddridge County and the state of WV.
Marcellus Researcher

United States

#24 Mar 17, 2013
Doddridge Citizen wrote:
It's not just our officials. I don't think most of our citizens care either. They want the jobs & the money, even if for just a short time. I don't think people really care what the consequences are. That's just my opinion from talking to people & listening to what they have to say about the situation.
<quoted text>
I agree with you, though I'd say many of them are coming around -- and by that I mean coming to realize that this isn't the conventional drilling that was always welcomed in the past. This will have far more long reaching effects to the environment and quality of life for the people in this county. And by that is doesn't mean a good quality of life because of the few jobs brought in that the out-of-state workers don't already get. The quality of life I'm talking about are the health impacts that will surely happen, just as PA counties are seeing now, several years ahead of us in drilling. And the industrialization of our rural county, devaluation of our properties, potential impact on our drinking water, air, etc. And these aren't good quality of life issues that are anticipated. I predict that before long, people won't be so complacent and indifferent about the consequences.

Greenwood WV

#25 Mar 17, 2013
It's really very sad. We stood up to big coal years ago. But that generation is long gone. I hope you are right and people won't be so complacent now. I'm not very hopeful though. Right now I want to build a big bubble over my world and just pretend all of this isn't happening. I guess I'm getting a bit discouraged.
Just the beginning

United States

#26 Mar 18, 2013
Doddridge Citizen wrote:
It's really very sad. We stood up to big coal years ago. But that generation is long gone. I hope you are right and people won't be so complacent now. I'm not very hopeful though. Right now I want to build a big bubble over my world and just pretend all of this isn't happening. I guess I'm getting a bit discouraged.
Don't loose heart. Marcellus Researcher is right. As far as drilling impact to the Doddridge citizens is concerned..."The Games have just begun!"
SUPERTRAMP

Barboursville, WV

#27 Mar 24, 2013
TWISTED souls wrote:
He**-- Our building our SCHOOL was mountain top removal -- Where were they then????? LOL
Exactly! Whats next? Keeping people from building homes if they spot a dozer on the property? Just another ploy to require a permit and pay the government to okay it? Funny how money seems to give the go ahead and make everything right. Personally i'd like to see some flat land in this state. God knows we need some. Not to mention it (the companies) make something out of the remaining acreage that looks better than thick underbrush, jutting rocks and dead rotting fallen trees that was present before they came to the site. These little enviromentalist pricks just need something to pat themselves on the back about. These same little shits also are pro gay multicultural diverse(all gods are equal or even atheists) liberals.
Wideglide

Sutton, WV

#28 Mar 25, 2013
It was wonderful to see young people that are interested in what is going on in our country. In order for our government to work we have to participate.
making a difference

United States

#29 Mar 25, 2013
Wideglide wrote:
It was wonderful to see young people that are interested in what is going on in our country. In order for our government to work we have to participate.
I agree! Also there was group of students from Dartmouth college who were also here in Doddridge recently. Observing a fracking operation.

see: https://www.facebook.com/ #!/photo.php?fbid=347493002017 984&set=a.273036009463684. 46688.263705577063394&type =1&theater

Several more groups are scheduled as well.

Folks in this county are in a wonderful position to invite the attention of organizations and educational institutions outside the state. These are groups who would love to make visits to our county in order to effectively assess the impacts of shale gas drilling in rural communities, such as ours.

People need to be assured that this type of "unconventional" drilling is going to be safe for people and environment. So having researchers, media, educators and students come to make direct observation of what is taking place in our rural county is one way to accomplish this by way of giving them opportunties to witness the impacts. And nothing wrong with doing that !!!
WV Water Destroyed

Oak Hill, WV

#30 Apr 8, 2013
Quiet Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the loggers have pretty strict laws them must operate under. The drilling industry does NOT. And that's the problem. Why are they allowed so much of a "free pass" to do this to our people and our counties?
When Marcellus drilling came into the picture, the playing field changed drastically. But the "rules of the game" are, for the most part, the same old rules that were in place before these huge corporations moved in here to do marcellus pads.
And that is why we are getting clobberd in this county by the industry's presence, and with little help from the state or WV DEP. They need to revisit current drilling laws and realize that this ain't the same ol' game.
Drilling done right....will create more jobs for WV people, not less! In my opinion, the industry takes to many short cuts in order to save money, and we are the collateral damage.
Do you all have any frack sediment ponds in your area? I sure hope not! The people in Lochgelly and Oak Hill WV are paying the price for natural gas. There isn't any fracking going on in that area, but for some crazy reason, perhaps BIG $ from gas companies, a lot of out of state gas companies are dumping their toxic fracking flowback water into sediment ponds only a few miles from the local schools. People are getting sick and a lot of them have cancer now.

The WVDEP has known about overflowing sediment frack ponds for years, but has done nothing about it so the water is getting contaminated.

Did you see this article about the federal EPA coming down on WV? Sounds like the WVDEP was trying to hide the fact that so many streams and rivers have been destroyed. Click to read:

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/201303250069
Loss of value

United States

#31 Apr 11, 2013
The health risks are major factors surrounding the wells I agree, but so is the value of property. Who would want to buy a home near the loud noises or the compressor stations?
If you are the person who does not reap the benefits of the gas industry; what do you do?
Do you move? Do you build walls to hide the facility? How can you be sure there are not any chemicals that will harm the environment: water, air, soil. Just to name a few.
Citizen of west union

Pennsboro, WV

#32 Apr 21, 2013
I noticed that the halls water trucks are getting water from old 50 and rock run once again, I thought this was a NO NO !I saw 3 yellow water trucks there today around noon on our way out of town for lunch...

Greenwood WV

#33 Apr 21, 2013
Citizen of west union wrote:
I noticed that the halls water trucks are getting water from old 50 and rock run once again, I thought this was a NO NO !I saw 3 yellow water trucks there today around noon on our way out of town for lunch...
Is this a designated spot where they are allowed to gather water when conditions permit?
Citizen of west union

Pennsboro, WV

#34 Apr 22, 2013
NO ! was informed that they had to move down the road past jocky camp and even further down the road but they are sneaking back in these days too save on fuel ??
hee aw

Charleston, WV

#35 Mar 7, 2014
there coming back sunday for a week I hear
bus driver

Charleston, WV

#36 Mar 8, 2014
moving in tomorrow at the park
Just a thought

United States

#37 Mar 8, 2014
Hey "SUPERTRAMP", there is a lot of flat land without "thick underbrush, jutting rocks, and dead rotting fallen trees" in other states. You might want to think about moving to one of them..
County Citizen

United States

#38 Mar 8, 2014
Seems someone saw fit to revive this old thread from last year about Mt. Justice Spring Break coming to Doddridge Park for their week of workshops and activities to study environmental issues.

Why should that unnerve the industry so much that their trolls who monitor topix would bring up last year's thread today to start up crap on the eve of their arrival to camp this week?

This group from Mt. Justice that has come here during their spring break for this 3rd year in a row, are concerned about US!!! Geeeze, you all who live in Doddridge and surrounding counties oughta know by now .... THIS AIN"T YOUR CONVENTIONAL DRILLING, BUB ! And you are the collateral damage for the industry.

Last year it seems that the Mt Justice kids' visit was blown way out of proportion to make them look like a bunch hippie protestors coming. Too bad, because IN MY OPINION, it backfired on the industry and made them look like fools for making so many calls to the state police asking for beefed up security. I heard that more than 500 calls were received about their visit last year ..with most of them being from industry folk who were panicked about them being here. Shame on them

They have to stoop to those tactics to deflect and distract from what THEY DO... to our environment, and to our health.

The public opinion if shifting and people are starting to seriously question whether or not fracking is a safe process when it comes to doing the horizontal drilling ....slick water, high pressure, high volume drilling using toxic chemicals they are exempt from disclosing. Wake up people, just look at what they are doing to our county.

How many of you folks who leased for Marcellus have even gotten a royalty check yet? And was it as much as the land man promised when he was wooing you?
lemon

Clarksburg, WV

#39 Mar 8, 2014
been 2 yrs since wells were a drilled on each side of me, a 200+ acre tract,and feeding into lines
still waiting on my first check from ''pooling'' my mineral rights

thanks antero
yep

Charleston, WV

#40 Mar 11, 2014
they were here today I saw them walking

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum 2 hr Loser 731
Man Found Unconscious in Stealey 10 hr wonderer 83
What happened to Jack Logar? (Jan '15) 11 hr E. Mcguire 15
reds angels 20 hr LeeHarveyTeabag 17
Shawn Bryant Fri Chase 6
Harrison County at its finest... Thu Half 12
Save the Waldo? Thu Keeppopinoff 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Salem Mortgages