Rowe Furniture company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Rowe Furniture's parent company "The Rowe Companies," is filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy reorganization. Full Story
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Laurie Covington

AOL

#1 Sep 25, 2006
They must have known the plan for this. We ordered over $5000 in furniture, and although we have paid for 1/2 of it, they do not plan to ship it to us. Apparently it is in a warehouse in Atlanta. They let us know exactly 60 days after it was ordered, which puts us in a bind with our credit card company. I do not believe they should have taken custom orders knowing they were planning to file for bankruptcy. They have handled the situation very poorly and I am truly disappointed that an established business like Rowe would be so deceiptful to its customers. I hope they take better care of their employees than their clients. At least one of their employees was kind enough to call us on the last day we had to dispute the charge to my credit card. We ordered furniture, then ordered carpet, wallpaper and had a room painted to match the furniture that they can't send to us. I am sure there must be hundreds or thousands of customers in the same unfortunate position we are in.
Rosalind Roystone

Schaumburg, IL

#2 Sep 28, 2006
I ordered my furniture for over $3,000 a month ago and was expecting delivery anytime. I was trying to get some drapes to match and only found out about the Chapter 11 filing because I learned they could not send me the drapes from another store on account of all transactions and accounts being suspended.I am also wondering if they took the money a month ago knowing full well the situation, though I was assured by the employees that they were the last to know.
Now the question is, when do we get our money back? I have to have furniture as I am moving into a new home and have nowhere to sit!
What a mess! Just my luck.
Tina Tray

Baltimore, MD

#3 Sep 28, 2006
I purchased a sofa, 2 chairs, a dining table, and drapes from Storehouse. I have received all but the special order drapes. The sales person who helped me called me a few days ago to let me know they were not available a this time, because of manufacturing problems (a lie). He asked if I wanted to come pick out something else or wait until after October 6th when they would know more. Well, I just read in the Washington Post about the bankrupcy of Rowe, the parent company, who has planned to auction off Storehouse. I have paid for my order in full by check (I wish I had used a credit card!) and I am owed either the $1100 I paid for them, or other merchandise of equal value. I plan on showing up at their door tomorrow morning when they open. I'm afraid I may never get my money back and feel as if I have to act now -- I don't know what else I can do. Does anyone have any suggestions?
camille

United States

#4 Oct 6, 2006
Storehouse is based in Atlanta and has been here for ever! I recently purchased a sofa from them (last month) on their store credit card. I found out just today they are going out of business. I don't understand this. They just recently opened two stores within the last month!Why would they do this knowing they had financial troubles? I guess the only thing I can do is dispute this whole thing since I have not received a bill nor have I received my sofa. The local sales staff is not able to help people. It is better to call HSBC if you charged it or call the Storehouse 800 # to get some satisfaction.
sage

Calhoun, GA

#5 Oct 7, 2006
Camille, Although Storehouse was originally an Atlanta home-bred company, it was bought out by Rowe Enterprises of Virginia some time ago; word has it that their Rowe Furniture division was sinking and they hoped Storehouse would buoy it up. Unfortunately, Rowe dragged Storehouse down instead.
Vern Stilwell

Kansas City, MO

#6 Oct 7, 2006
Son in law spent $5,000 on furniture, charged it,didn't receive the furniture. Since when does a buyer of goods become a "unsecured creditor". This is outrageous. How can all come together to expose this fraudulent activity. This is close to bait and switch tactics used by retailers. Does anyone know the attorneys for Rowe. I fear we will be swept under the carpet without quick action. My suggestion, go to the press and TV in order to get attention.
Nancy Z

Virginia Beach, VA

#7 Oct 11, 2006
[Rowe's attorney's (Jason Gold, Wiley Rein and Fielding)will not give out any helpful information since they are representing Rowe and not the consumer. The only information I have received is to fill out a "Proof of Claim" form to be filed with the court system. There should be something the consumer can do to recoup the money from our purchases. Does anyone know who the owner actually is or was? Maybe he will lend us his furniture until this is resolved.
Marxist Told-You-So

Pearland, TX

#9 Oct 12, 2006
Been watching another capitalist enterprise sink for the past 10 -15 years. Many more ahead -
Wondering-what-t o-do

Raleigh, NC

#10 Oct 13, 2006
Does anybody have any experience to share with ordering furniture online from Furniture.com / roomstore.com ?
Andrea Outing

Orlando, FL

#12 Oct 14, 2006
HELP!!, I have lose a lot of money and do not know what to do. This is a great lost for me and my family. I have file a proof of claim but do not know what this does. I'm at lost for words, I can not belive this has happen to me. 4079029952. If any know of any action we can take let us take it for this is not right!
Jackie Rosen

United States

#13 Oct 17, 2006
Who's going to start a class action suit against them? I'll be happy to join in on it!
I was waiting to have a damaged bedroom set picked up while Rowe was supposedly going to manufacture my new couches. I'm stuck with this damaged set and no couches - but I do have a dispute filed with their credit card.
Elizabeth

Washington, DC

#14 Oct 17, 2006
I purchased a furniture set back in August. I got the first two pieces, but the third was customized for us. Now I have 2/3 of a couch and I will probably never get the third. The store manager told me to file a claim with my credit card company stating that I never received my product, but what am I supposed to do with 2 parts of a 3-part couch?? I spent $3000 for this thing and now its incomplete.
goebel

AOL

#16 Oct 20, 2006
got us also..took money knowing chapter 11 in works... parent company still in
business and wanting us to support them while they
regroup with my money, refuse to shop in any store
that carries rowe furniture,,tell manager why...
the little retail stores dont want to loose business
worth a try..hate being screwed
Debbie

Durham, NC

#17 Oct 21, 2006
Laurie Covington wrote:
They must have known the plan for this. We ordered over $5000 in furniture, and although we have paid for 1/2 of it, they do not plan to ship it to us. Apparently it is in a warehouse in Atlanta. They let us know exactly 60 days after it was ordered, which puts us in a bind with our credit card company. I do not believe they should have taken custom orders knowing they were planning to file for bankruptcy. They have handled the situation very poorly and I am truly disappointed that an established business like Rowe would be so deceiptful to its customers. I hope they take better care of their employees than their clients. At least one of their employees was kind enough to call us on the last day we had to dispute the charge to my credit card. We ordered furniture, then ordered carpet, wallpaper and had a room painted to match the furniture that they can't send to us. I am sure there must be hundreds or thousands of customers in the same unfortunate position we are in.
This same thing happened to me here in Raleigh, NC with Furniture Liquidators Warehouse... They owed me a store credit, assured me that there was no problem, that they were 'taking care of their customers', and basically screwed me out of my $$$...

Good luck to you... Buyer beware of these types of companies out there that take your $$ knowing that they'll never deliver on the product!

Debbie
Rose Murtagh

AOL

#18 Oct 22, 2006
Laurie Covington wrote:
Laurie, they sure did know...Storehouse Inc. filed for bankruptcy on May 9, 2006 in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (Docket #06-0114-ssm). They contiuned to take orders and consumers money knowing we'd be out of luck. I was ripped off in their Princton, NJ store for $2,6000. I won't go into the details, but will let you know that store personnel called security and Princeton police having me thrown out of the store and threatened with jail for disorderly conduct. Nice system, they rob me of $2,600 and I'm the one who is threatened with jail. Corporate America sucks!
Rose Murtagh

AOL

#19 Oct 22, 2006
One more thing I find interesting is that Storehouse was running their big Fall Sofa Sale just a few weeks ago. Guess they were looking for more customers to ripoff even though they filed for bankruptcy on May 9, 2006. HOW CAN THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS?!
Brad Gurton

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Oct 22, 2006
I was going to buy some new furniture for my apartment back in August. I wasn't sure if I should get new furniture or just keep the old stuff until I found something that I really liked. I like the mid-century look - you know..like on "I Love Lucy" or "Dick VanDyke." Anyway, I move into my apartment and bring the old stuff with me - right? I was looking around at various places like Harlem (yuck o la), Wicks (surprisingly crap), Ashley (crap minus 4), and I was like...my stuff is much better than this new crap coming from China. They just aren't hiring the proper 7 year olds with good work ethics over there. The fabrics, workmanship, threading, and styling is just crap. I am so glad I didn't buy anything from Sofa Solutions as the only furniture I did like was ROWE. Can you believe it? I am so glad I heard about them filing for Chapter 11 before I bought anything. And they make such nice stuff too - with a mid-range price point.

I hope the BEEoch of a President for Storehouse and that of Rowe follow in Ken Lay's footsteps. How can they sleep at night? Why is upper management in most American companies just inept - yet is able to drive around in $50K cars and live in $1M houses? I don't get it. Please...someone explain this silliness to me.
Helen Arzola

Alexandria, VA

#21 Oct 23, 2006
I too have been robbed by this company to the tune of $1,904. What they have done must constitute fraud! They can't be allowed to get away with this!! It's not as bad as Enron but that $ meant a lot to me!!

Is it better to file a class action suit now or wait to see if we get our $ back? I will contact the bancruptcy court to find out.
George

Kannapolis, NC

#22 Oct 24, 2006
I ordered a leather sofa in April from Storehouse. They told me it would arrive in late June or early July. They called mid-July and told me that the company quit making it in leather; however, there were so many leather orders they would make it. I was given a late September or early October deadline. Now they tell me it was never made and I can't have my money or store credit. The have $1,600 + from me.
CJL of Atlanta

Powder Springs, GA

#23 Oct 24, 2006
I ordered a sectional sofa in March. It was charged on a Storehouse Credit card - 18mo/no interest. I began to be billed for the entire amount of $3300.00 before it was delivered. When the sectional sofa arrived in June it did not fit together because the salesman had ordered a wrong "part". I refused the delivery and the sofa was immediately reordered by the salesman. Meanwhile during June and July I, in good faith, made three payments (totaling $450.00) toward the sofa on order. The sofa came in August. It was the wrong fabric. I spoke with the salesman while the delivery people were still at my house, and he told me I could keep the sofa with the wrong fabric and he would reorder it in the correct fabric, and when it came in, they would delivery the correct sofa and pick up the wrong one. He called back in a couple of days to say that I should just ignore the bill that I would receive that month from the Storehouse Credit Card Co. and that everything would come out in the wash when the right sofa came in. Well, to make a long story short , I got a bill for two sofas.

By this time I was not about the make any more payments because I had lost confidence in the company. Thank goodness, because now I'm stuck with the sofa with the wrong fabric that I do not want; I'll never get the right sofa; that's for sure. I want my $450.00 back, of course. I've got a bill for two sofas. What a mess!! I've disputed the charges on the bill in writing to Storehouse Credit Card Co. What's going to be the outcome of that, I don't know. Storehouse has mailed me a bankruptcy claim form to fill out. If there is a lawyer out there that can advise me, please tell me what to do with this claim form, etc. Do I claim a loss of the amount billed me + the amount of $450.00 which I paid???? I mean, what if Storehouse Credit Card Company never takes the charges off and reports my non payment to the credit reporting agencies and does damage to my credit????

Makes me want to scream!!

I disputed the

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 6 hr Jake 1,361
Info about Lee Palmer 6 hr KAP 3
girl gives me a std (Feb '12) 6 hr Condoms work 51
Suspect in Hannah Graham Disappearance Tied to ... 7 hr Max 3
married woman seeking girlfriend (Dec '13) 12 hr sammie35 5
Does Roanoke believe it is post-racism? Tue gwsbadass 1
Do women like to be randomly groped when they g... (Jun '12) Tue gwsbadass 43
Salem Dating
Find my Match

Salem Jobs