Former Pennsville Memorial High Graduate Arrested in Florida

Posted in the Salem Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Florida

AOL

#1 Aug 7, 2009
http://www.osceola.org/index.cfm...

Barbara (Hocknell) Hackworth A St. Cloud financial controller for a local dental equipment and supply company was arrested and charged with more than 90 counts of unlawful use of a credit card Thursday, allegedly spending more than $35,000 to pay personal utility bills, buy concert tickets and buy infield passes to the Daytona 500.

According to St. Cloud Police Department reports, Barbara Lynn Hackworth, 34, of St. Cloud, was jailed following an eight-month police investigation after she was fired from Velopex International, 105 E. 17th St., St. Cloud.

She was charged with 153 felony charges and 128 misdemeanor charges, which included 93 counts of unlawful use of a credit card, 29 counts of obtaining goods or services using a credit card without authorization in an amount of $300 or more, 64 counts of obtaining goods or services using a credit card without authorization in an amount under $300, 31 counts of grand theft from $300 to $5,000, 34 counts of petit theft from $100 to less than $300 and 30 counts of petit theft under $100, according to police reports.

The total amount of the alleged unauthorized transactions was $37,945, which included payment of personal electric and phone bills, flower arrangements, home improvement products, infield tickets to the Daytona 500, lodging at a beach resort and $1,600 for two concert tickets, police reports said.

Hackworth was responsible for much of the company’s finances. She was fired in December when an audit of the company's ledger showed several financial inconsistencies. The St. Cloud Police Department was then contacted to investigate.

Hackworth was booked into the Osceola County Jail on a $193,500 bond.
Katrina from saint cloud

Merritt Island, FL

#2 Aug 10, 2009
I am totally shocked to hear about this.. My son played baseball with her son. I talked to her all the time.. I would have never guessed that she was a criminal. It just goes to show you that you never know who you are dealing with day to day. I am saddened and disappointed by this news.. Shame on you Barbara.. If anything you should have thought about your kids first....
Concerned

Saint Cloud, FL

#3 Aug 11, 2009
As far as I understand she has only been accused of the crime, I think it is a little early for an average person with no information to convict her of this crime. I also am a firm believer of the Justice System and I believe it says " innocent until PROVEN guilty." There for we as viewers and readers should hold our judgement until the jury is in on this case. So in response to the previous blog keep your opinion to your self until there is a conviction in place.
Average Citizen

AOL

#4 Aug 12, 2009
I agree with Concerned, we cannot judge someone simply on an arrest, but the police had to have evidence that Barbara Hackworth did buy concert tickets & Daytona 500 tickets and so on...Luxury items that the Average Citizen works for and only buys with their own money when they can afford them.

Something seriously wrong here. The husband Scott Hackworth is a convicted sex offender and their house is in foreclosure (all public record) Now this. So I have to agree with Katrina, shame on you Barbara.

Why didn't you think of your kids?
Katrina from saint cloud

Merritt Island, FL

#5 Aug 12, 2009
look, I don't like to quickly judge people either, but I know her & have known her for at least 3 yrs. We were good friends, & now it makes perfect sense why she was able to do so many things for her sons baseball team that I couldn't do for mine sons.I have 2 sons that play baseball for the city of St. Cloud. I have been involved with this league for about 7 yrs.I have had to ask parents for money to get their sons trophies & such. She did not. I also found out yesterday that her husband is a convicted sex offender. I am shocked. He was always at our public baseball fields where lots of young children play & run around. I am gonna get something done about that also. I don't put up with sexual predators. I have 3 children & would kill if I found out anyone like that is around my kids. So, it disturbs me to know that he actually talked to my kids. I am devastated, & am gonna do something about it to protect other children.The evidence is there, she used the money for nothing that had to do with her children.I know she has 2 sons & a daughter on the way. So, as far as I am concerned she is guilty. I would go to the ends of the earth for my kids, & would never buy anything for me before my kids. They come first, regardless..
A close neighbor

Kissimmee, FL

#6 Aug 12, 2009
Barbara was always there for me when I needed monitary help and the most confusing thing to me was ... she never asked for any of the money back. It was as if she had a bottom-less money pit in which to grab handfuls of cash from and do whatever she wanted to with it. Well now I know where the money came from. I would think what a nice friend I had, not knowing what she was doing at the time and then to find out about her husband ... I AM SHOCKED! I thought a nice couple lived a few doors down from me when in fact I was living next to a couple of CONVICTS! What a shame ...
private

Olive Branch, MS

#7 Aug 12, 2009
Liar!
A close neighbor wrote:
Barbara was always there for me when I needed monitary help and the most confusing thing to me was ... she never asked for any of the money back. It was as if she had a bottom-less money pit in which to grab handfuls of cash from and do whatever she wanted to with it. Well now I know where the money came from. I would think what a nice friend I had, not knowing what she was doing at the time and then to find out about her husband ... I AM SHOCKED! I thought a nice couple lived a few doors down from me when in fact I was living next to a couple of CONVICTS! What a shame ...
citizen

Olive Branch, MS

#8 Aug 12, 2009
You say you don't judge, but here you are judging! You don't know what was behind her husbands charges, so please don't make comments about him being at the ball fields with kids. Maybe you should know what your talking about first. Yes what she did was wrong, but think what your doing to her kids. It's people like you that have skeletons in their closets.
Katrina from saint cloud wrote:
look, I don't like to quickly judge people either, but I know her & have known her for at least 3 yrs. We were good friends, & now it makes perfect sense why she was able to do so many things for her sons baseball team that I couldn't do for mine sons.I have 2 sons that play baseball for the city of St. Cloud. I have been involved with this league for about 7 yrs.I have had to ask parents for money to get their sons trophies & such. She did not. I also found out yesterday that her husband is a convicted sex offender. I am shocked. He was always at our public baseball fields where lots of young children play & run around. I am gonna get something done about that also. I don't put up with sexual predators. I have 3 children & would kill if I found out anyone like that is around my kids. So, it disturbs me to know that he actually talked to my kids. I am devastated, & am gonna do something about it to protect other children.The evidence is there, she used the money for nothing that had to do with her children.I know she has 2 sons & a daughter on the way. So, as far as I am concerned she is guilty. I would go to the ends of the earth for my kids, & would never buy anything for me before my kids. They come first, regardless..
citizen

Olive Branch, MS

#9 Aug 12, 2009
I agree. We know people in St. Cloud have nothing to do but gossip. So quote this "People should check their own back doors before looking in others!"
Concerned wrote:
As far as I understand she has only been accused of the crime, I think it is a little early for an average person with no information to convict her of this crime. I also am a firm believer of the Justice System and I believe it says " innocent until PROVEN guilty." There for we as viewers and readers should hold our judgement until the jury is in on this case. So in response to the previous blog keep your opinion to your self until there is a conviction in place.
Resident

Olive Branch, MS

#10 Aug 12, 2009
If you haven't noticed, there is alot of people in foreclosure. So what does one thing have to do with the other. And you also don't know about the husbands exact charges and situation. So how about all of you concerned citizens think about what your doing to the innocent people here, her kids!
Average Citizen wrote:
I agree with Concerned, we cannot judge someone simply on an arrest, but the police had to have evidence that Barbara Hackworth did buy concert tickets & Daytona 500 tickets and so on...Luxury items that the Average Citizen works for and only buys with their own money when they can afford them.
Something seriously wrong here. The husband Scott Hackworth is a convicted sex offender and their house is in foreclosure (all public record) Now this. So I have to agree with Katrina, shame on you Barbara.
Why didn't you think of your kids?
Popatop

Knoxville, TN

#11 Aug 13, 2009
Look, I am on the fence with the Barbara thing. My opinion would be slight if not biased. The thing that really bothers me is folks bringing her husband into this. You know nothing of the case in which he was convicted. They have two children which are obviously safe in his care, and I'm sure they will remain safe in his care. Why try to convict the man of a crime he has paid his debt for, that's called double jeopardy. You Hippocrates can type words of concern all day, but what you are doing is prejudice against the husband. I.e. Judging him! I have known this couple for quite some time, I would trust my son with her husband any day of the week. I never really liked Barbara, due to the fact that she has always been judgmental towards others, hence the biased remark earlier. I know her husband was a victim of circumstance, nothing more. The judicial system kind of like some of you folks prejudge people and sensationalize misinformation. In closing I say let this play out. Do they have Barbara dead to rights? I believe that is for a JURY to figure out. You, until the day comes, are not JUDGE, JURY, and EXECUTIONER, because if you were, we would all be screwed!!!!!

“Mom”

Since: Aug 09

Saint Cloud, Florida

#12 Aug 13, 2009
citizen wrote:
You say you don't judge, but here you are judging! You don't know what was behind her husbands charges, so please don't make comments about him being at the ball fields with kids. Maybe you should know what your talking about first. Yes what she did was wrong, but think what your doing to her kids. It's people like you that have skeletons in their closets.
<quoted text>
Honey u can check my background anytime u want. As a mother I would never do anything to put my kids in jeopardy. The only thing those kids have to worry about now is the reputation that their parents have for committing crimes. Those kids have to goto school and defend their parents, which in turn is probably going to lead to the kids getting into fights cuz other kids will make fun of these issues. As far as Scott's namesake, he should have never been in a predicament to be labeled as a sex offender. If my husband had ever done anything near that, I would have left him & made his life miserable.There is no excuse for anyone who is labeled by the state & all law enforcement as a sex offender.. No Excuses what-so-ever..Especially when the records show his offense was against a minor. A defenseless minor.. Children are people too in this world & I am tired of seeing crimes against them..

“Mom”

Since: Aug 09

Saint Cloud, Florida

#13 Aug 13, 2009
Look, people, I am not saying anything more than what has been bought to my attention. I am concerned for the whole husband thing cuz I have kids that he has been around. Had I known about his situation, I would have never allowed that to happen. As far as her situation, I am not rich either. My house is not in foreclosure,I have all my bills paid on time and in full. This is because like the whole world should do we work & do the right things. I don't think it fair or right for anyone to break the law for their own luxuries. I am on welfare & still manage to work & not do things the are wrong in the laws or Gods eyes. I am more upset about her because just a couple of weeks ago my sister-in-law was robbed at gunpoint. The crimes that are going on for such reasons as this economy needs to stop. There is no reason people can't live life & do it according to the laws.. By the way I have a investigator checking on her husbands issues & if all is well, then I will drop it, but won't ever let him around my children again.(Once an offender, always an offender.(According to the law).)
Popatop

Knoxville, TN

#14 Aug 13, 2009
This is absurd, you would leave your husband if he came close to that? Without an explanation? How shallow is that? I think the Sex Offender registry is a great thing, for pedophiles. Not necessarily in certain cases where a man makes a mistake and doesn't check an I.D. Not that I know the specifics on Scott's case, but I do know he doesn't chase small children around. His wife obviously knew the circumstances, and chose to be objective and give him a chance. They both dealt with the consequences of what he may or may not have done for a very long time. The point is now he has two children at home and one on the way so leave him out of this. The News chose not to bring it into light, but this post did. If you have to focus on someone else's life, focus on facts. I think it's great that you have an investigator to put your concerns to rest. I hope you get the answers you need. I am sorry to hear about your sister, and I hope that she is alright. This economy is perplexing at best.
Baseball Fields

United States

#15 Aug 13, 2009
I also know of the accused from the baseball fields. I do not know her personally. From what I've read in the papers, the alleged stolen funds were used for luxury items - NOTHING TO DO WITH A FAILING ECONOMY! I have to admit, I don't know what I would consider if I couldn't feed my children...but that's a lot different than going to the Daytona 500 or to see a Tim McGraw concert. I'm not saying I would condone her possible theft, but it would sure pull at my heart strings if it were to meet her children's needs. That, however, doesn't seem to be the case from what I've read. We'll see what the courts decide. I will certainly be following the case.
Resident

Olive Branch, MS

#16 Aug 14, 2009
This is not about the husband. And I hope your investigator sets you straight, cause I know the circumstance and it was unfair and unjust. I have plenty of friends in law enforcement that told me he got a bad deal. So back off the husband and kids. You are a true St cloud resident more worried about others and not themselves. And you should be so proud to be on welfare, guess what with all the hoops you have to jump through to get assistance. They dont care about what you make net, but what you get gross which makes people that actually should get it unqualified. So maybe you lied to get your assistance or either you dont have a man taking responsibility for their kids. I am so proud that this man has stepped up and is trying to give these kids a normal life with the given situation. He could have easily bailed but he didnt. I applaud him for that. And hope that you get something better to do than gossip about people.
Katrina from saint cloud wrote:
Look, people, I am not saying anything more than what has been bought to my attention. I am concerned for the whole husband thing cuz I have kids that he has been around. Had I known about his situation, I would have never allowed that to happen. As far as her situation, I am not rich either. My house is not in foreclosure,I have all my bills paid on time and in full. This is because like the whole world should do we work & do the right things. I don't think it fair or right for anyone to break the law for their own luxuries. I am on welfare & still manage to work & not do things the are wrong in the laws or Gods eyes. I am more upset about her because just a couple of weeks ago my sister-in-law was robbed at gunpoint. The crimes that are going on for such reasons as this economy needs to stop. There is no reason people can't live life & do it according to the laws.. By the way I have a investigator checking on her husbands issues & if all is well, then I will drop it, but won't ever let him around my children again.(Once an offender, always an offender.(According to the law).)
Concerned

Saint Cloud, FL

#17 Aug 14, 2009
In response to many of your ignorant comments, I want to say as a close friend of more than 10 years I don't think that scotts convictions have anything to do with the recent events. I am not sure how or why he is being drug through the mud. I can say that I have never believed the charges he has faced, however he has served his time and repayed the debt ordered by the court so leave him alone. As far as the children I can say this they are obviously innocent bystanders, who love their parents reguardless of indiscretions, remember this is an adult issue, stop shaming these children. If I were on welfare and had a job I wouldn't be convicting another of fraud so quickly and openly. In my opinion it takes a heck of man to stand by your wife with all these ignorant comments and to raise 2 children with out any assistance from a state agency.
Confused

Sorrento, FL

#18 Aug 14, 2009
WOW,I read all of the posts so far and see alot of mud throwing.
It starts out with the lady acused of stealing money and leads right to her husband who is not even mentioned in this article.
Now what has me SO confused is a few statements made by user name "Katrina" and they are as follows " I am on welfare & still manage to work & not do things the are wrong in the laws or Gods eyes." and "By the way I have a investigator checking on her husbands issues".
Not tring to discredit anyone or throw mud myself,but how do you make a statement one moment saying that you are on welfare and the next moment tell everyone that you have an investigator checking into someone else.How is this possible?Are investigators FREE now?I can tell you that the ones that i work with are costly.
Bill Richards

Orange City, FL

#19 Aug 16, 2009
A lot of you are bashing people that you really don't know. I happen to be a very close friend and a very close neighbor of more than 5 yrs. As far as the comment of the two of them being convicts, Barb has not been convicted, and if you do your research,(which is public record), her husband has never been convicted, therefore neither one can be a convict.. After hearing her husbands story years ago i believe him 100%. I have always trusted him with my children and I will always continue that trust. Society has always been quick to judge people before knowing the story or the truth.. If Barb did do that which she is accused of, then let the courts decide. Yes it is true her children may have a hard time with this, but with the support of close friends, such as myself, my wife, and my children, we can all hope and pray they will be O.K. I think that sounds like a better idea than bashing their parents... Everybody has some type of skeletons in their past, if you deny that, you are a liar. Nobody here walks on water, therefore nobody is perfect. If more people would give support rather than criticism this world would be a much better place....

“Mom”

Since: Aug 09

Saint Cloud, Florida

#20 Aug 17, 2009
Resident wrote:
This is not about the husband. And I hope your investigator sets you straight, cause I know the circumstance and it was unfair and unjust. I have plenty of friends in law enforcement that told me he got a bad deal. So back off the husband and kids. You are a true St cloud resident more worried about others and not themselves. And you should be so proud to be on welfare, guess what with all the hoops you have to jump through to get assistance. They dont care about what you make net, but what you get gross which makes people that actually should get it unqualified. So maybe you lied to get your assistance or either you dont have a man taking responsibility for their kids. I am so proud that this man has stepped up and is trying to give these kids a normal life with the given situation. He could have easily bailed but he didnt. I applaud him for that. And hope that you get something better to do than gossip about people.
<quoted text>
Your right he didn't bail. But then again, He was gettin use of all that money too, so he stayed for that. I got the info from my investigator. He knew about the case before I even mentioned his name which goes to show you that it was not just a matter of chance or circumstance. I started to talk to the investigator & he finished every sentence before I could. There is nothin wrong with our officers in law enforcement. Obviously they along with a court full of people thought what Scott did was warrant of the title, sex offender. They don't make mistakes on that..Again, Scott should not have been in the situation to be named as such..As far as I am, I didn't lie to get assistance. My man works in construction, & as we all know it doesn't pay well at all.. He also was injured about a yr ago, He almost died,but it didn't stoop him. He is the kind of man that would do anything for his kids. That means to work no matter what.. Not to steal or take from others..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. House in New Jersey... (Oct '10) Dec 6 Noddingout 19
Prosecution rests its case in Millville homicid... (May '06) Oct '14 Jen Woods Medford NJ 12
'Pepsi Pete' brings Bridgeton memories flooding... (Jan '13) Oct '14 otassie 2
Review: GFM Auto Sales LLC Sep '14 Matt 5
Penns Grove-Carneys Point board of education me... (May '14) Sep '14 I Still Love You 5
Who do you support for U.S. House in New Jersey... (Oct '10) Sep '14 Josh 43
Review: NIA Amity Heights Apartments Sep '14 the great fire 1

Salem News Video

Salem Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Salem People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Salem News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Salem

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:02 am PST