Police arrest 32 at Salem flea market

Police arrest 32 at Salem flea market

There are 36 comments on the UnionLeader story from Dec 4, 2007, titled Police arrest 32 at Salem flea market. In it, UnionLeader reports that:

“We had the trucks rented and everything else and then we hit it and found there was probably twice as much as any of us expected.”

More than 30 officers were on hand for the operation at the Salem Flea Market at 18 Hampshire Road after serving 29 search warrants following a four-month undercover investigation of counterfeit designer goods ... via UnionLeader

Join the discussion below, or Read more at UnionLeader.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mom123

Braintree, MA

#22 Sep 21, 2008
with the economy the way it is, if it makes you happy to buy a knockoff purse, cuz we can't afford the real thing, so be it! just like buying the store brand vs, regular brand!
meghan

Gray, ME

#23 Nov 28, 2008
i personally find the flea market in
derry a great place. looking good for
less money, i mean why not? it may be
illegal by all means, but WHO are the
police to tell me what i can and cannot
do with my well earned money. It's a
great experience to go there and i
reccomend the flea market in derry to
anyone! maybe you'll find that you
enjoy it just as much as i do :) so for
the lady that was so snobby enough to
complain about the flea markets, why
don't you stop thinking about not only
yourself but the others who may not be
as fortunate as YOU. Sorry we can't pull
500 dollars out of our bums for a little
wallet :) A flea market is such as a
yard sale, but with different sellers,
what is the harm in it? NOTHING. Be
thankful for it and think or it as a
little "sale" :)
sbb

Methuen, MA

#24 May 7, 2009
you people should worry about other things that what the flea market has just cause your miserable dont make other people miserable find something else to do with you time you pathetic
sbb

Methuen, MA

#25 May 7, 2009
some people dont have money for authentic things so they go to the flea market .as long as they feel good about themselfs and how they look it shouldnt bother all you haters out there smartin up
Jessica

Merrimack, NH

#26 May 24, 2009
Its NOT a crime to sell LOOK ALIKE DESIGNER STUFF.....as long as you DONT SAY IT'S THE REAL THING. YOU CAN SELL "FAKE" PURSES BUT YOU CANT SELL THEM UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THEIR THE REAL THING... That's where the law is being broken.
market vendor

Beverly, MA

#27 Jun 1, 2009
No, someone is getting hurt...the people that make the real bags. Knock off merchandise is stealing, buying it knowingly is stealing. Most people want it to be available because they can't afford the designer bags...but if it were YOUR name brand, or your mother's, being knocked off you bet you'd have a totally different opinion. You'd be OUTRAGED! You are not entitled. Everyone today thinks they have a right to whatever they can get their hands on, you don't. Stealing is a bad thing...remember? Also, why are so many of you obsessed with designer items? It's insane. Get a good, sturdy bag and get over it.
Deb wrote:
Think about this. There are people like me who can't afford the real Coach, Channel etc handbags and pay thousands of dollars. Noboady was getting hurt they sell the same handbags on the streets of New York 10 times the amount and the police don't even care they look the other way. In fact now a days you can sell drugs right in front of the police and they won't even touch you. I bet some of the policemens wifes were upset that they closed them down I bet they were buying the handbags and knowing what was going on Hmm I wonder if they got the slince treatment??
Sin

Lima, OH

#28 Jun 7, 2009
Wow!!! You People are really trippin i will say this people act like they are perfect, now some of you probably dont buy the fake shit but you do some other illegal shit, but lets just talk about whats really fake, its all made in the same place china, korea,etc. the only difference is the quality of the bags and the registration, any the copyright, all of these people such as chanel, gucci, etc/ are already fuckin rich obviously they still are making money or they wouldnt be in business so actually they are the fucking crooks!!! paying the chinese to make their bags clothes whatever $10 to make a purse and turn around and sell it to americans for $500 thats fucked up but the people who really buy that shit are the same they are just shitty that people pay alot less for the knock off shit and look better than they do. Im bout to order some gucci shoes now and they look good too if anyone is as smart as me hit me up email [email protected]
Mike in Chester

Cambridge, MA

#29 Aug 3, 2009
Vendor wrote:
The SALEM FLEA MARKET is still OPEN!! They are still at full occupancy.
You people are nuts, don't you have the slightest clue about intellectual property laws? If copyright/patent/trademark laws aren't enforced, who would bother to innovate when someone could freely steal their designs, technology, whatever the subject matter? Don't forget, that's what this is, theft - as the BU student can attest now that he was ordered to pay more than $600,000 in damages
Mary

Colchester, VT

#30 Oct 27, 2009
People selling knock off handbags are hurting Small shops that sell legal bags.They all need to be locked up!
Sue

Colchester, VT

#31 Oct 27, 2009
Mike in Chester wrote:
<quoted text>
You people are nuts, don't you have the slightest clue about intellectual property laws? If copyright/patent/trademark laws aren't enforced, who would bother to innovate when someone could freely steal their designs, technology, whatever the subject matter? Don't forget, that's what this is, theft - as the BU student can attest now that he was ordered to pay more than $600,000 in damages
I know where your coming from
Kara

Colchester, VT

#32 Oct 27, 2009
Jessica wrote:
Its NOT a crime to sell LOOK ALIKE DESIGNER STUFF.....as long as you DONT SAY IT'S THE REAL THING. YOU CAN SELL "FAKE" PURSES BUT YOU CANT SELL THEM UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THEIR THE REAL THING... That's where the law is being broken.
If its got a designer name on it it is stealing wake up and smell the coffee
Ron

Bedford, NH

#33 Nov 7, 2009
The real crooks are the ones selling the actual designer stuff, but maybe they get away with it because people are stupid enough to pay that kind of money.
mark

Lewisville, TX

#34 Nov 13, 2009
i have to say to all the people that commented on leaving people alone that sell replicas .. I agree.. In this economy people are just trying to make a living and giving people something nice that they normally cant afford is a good thing ..Some people are spending so much money on a bag they have to get a 1.00 cheesebuger for their kids .. The designers charge way too much for those bags and there all made in the same place anyway.. All your paying for is the treatment in the department stores and the big fancy glass doors.. and those designers already have their yaghts and million dpllar homes.. Because people will still pay those high prices and as long as the replicas look good they are getting free publicity.. I think its stupid that people try to stop people from trying to make a living and helping others out!
Agent J

Salem, NH

#35 Nov 15, 2009
The only people that should be aressted are the cops for wasting our tax dollars on that stupid shit when there are real crimes going on. Oh wait they arent going to arrest themselves. I guess thats a lost cause. knockoff bags? seriously? are you kidding me? that makes me laugh. Go to the court house and check the cars of the employees. You could have about 300+ drug arrests especially if you check their houses. Oh btw most of the judges are involved in embezzlement.
bully blinks

United States

#36 Mar 1, 2010
haha! Supports terrorism! Is that what the mainstream media told you?
william

Methuen, MA

#37 Dec 24, 2011
Alert the tactical squad! My local supermarket is selling knock off Lucky Charms and i dont care because they are magically delicious!!!!!!""

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stephan Condodemetraky, president of Dusty Old ... Jul 12 Darlene Johnson 3
Selectmen soliciting yes votes outside town hall Jun 24 Martha steward 1
News State suspends 200-plus EMTs in certification s... (Jun '10) Jun '17 Scratch 178
Raw sewage Jun '17 Kathy277 1
Hallmark Job Opportunity in Derry Jun '17 VictorOrians 1
Hallmark Job Opportunity in Plaistow May '17 VictorOrians 1
News Seabrook Around the Town (Sep '08) May '17 mr truth 84

Salem Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Salem Mortgages