Judge rules accused killer with low I...

Judge rules accused killer with low IQ must be freed; can't be ...

There are 21 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Feb 28, 2009, titled Judge rules accused killer with low IQ must be freed; can't be .... In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

A judge has ruled that a Lawrence man with an extremely low IQ must be set free because he will never be competent to stand trial for the 2000 murder of a Salem, N.H., man outside a Lawrence bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ben

United States

#1 Feb 28, 2009
ya right let the retard go
tom

Plymouth, MA

#2 Feb 28, 2009
Make sense to me. Someone with a high IQ should get a double sentence.
what

Newburyport, MA

#3 Feb 28, 2009
You mean this clown is going to let out to walk the streets to murder again?? Our court justice system needs to be trashed.
dracut resident

Lowell, MA

#4 Mar 1, 2009
see only cops and people with low IQ's can get away with murder..does this mean cops really are idiots??
Sad

Bridgetown, Barbados

#5 Mar 2, 2009
I didnt realize you had to pass a test to get into jail. Are they JAT's or something? Or JCAST?

Since: Aug 08

Lowell

#6 Mar 2, 2009
Sad wrote:
I didnt realize you had to pass a test to get into jail. Are they JAT's or something? Or JCAST?
Wow...clever...
How long did it take you to think that one up?
annon

Manchester, NH

#7 Mar 2, 2009
Oh great, so this idiot can go back walking the streets until he decides to beat the crap out of someone else and kill him to. This must be known as the duh defense!
enraged

Tewksbury, MA

#8 Mar 2, 2009
So basically being retarded gives you a free pass to commit any crime you want? What happens when he kills someone else?
KSM

Gloucester, MA

#9 Mar 2, 2009
"Lawrence Superior Court Judge Howard Whitehead on Tuesday released Falardeau, who has a long police record, because his learning disabilities prevented him from assisting in his own defense, according to published reports."

Long police record. Was he on parole at the time of the fight?
Townie

Rumford, RI

#10 Mar 2, 2009
No, our justice system doesn not need to be trashed. Howard Whitehead was one of the best Asst. D.A.s in Essex before he was appointed as a judge. He knows the law and knows what he is doing. The Law, both Massachusetts and federal saysa that if a person cannot assist in their defense, i.e., that they do not have the intellectual ability, whether you calle it retarded or low I.Q., they cannot be held legally responsible for their crimes.

That doesn't mean that the government cannot seek to civilly commit him, it just means that he cannot be tried in a criminal court. It is one of those quaint notions the founding fathers thought up several hundred years ago calle due process of law. You wouldn't put a third grader in jail for life for pulling the trigger of a gun would you?

Sad

Bridgetown, Barbados

#11 Mar 2, 2009
Ninja Out wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow...clever...
How long did it take you to think that one up?
2 seconds. better be careful or you wont pass that jail test ya dummy
Sad

Bridgetown, Barbados

#12 Mar 2, 2009
Townie wrote:
No, our justice system doesn not need to be trashed. Howard Whitehead was one of the best Asst. D.A.s in Essex before he was appointed as a judge. He knows the law and knows what he is doing. The Law, both Massachusetts and federal saysa that if a person cannot assist in their defense, i.e., that they do not have the intellectual ability, whether you calle it retarded or low I.Q., they cannot be held legally responsible for their crimes.
That doesn't mean that the government cannot seek to civilly commit him, it just means that he cannot be tried in a criminal court. It is one of those quaint notions the founding fathers thought up several hundred years ago calle due process of law. You wouldn't put a third grader in jail for life for pulling the trigger of a gun would you?
I dont think there are many 3rd graders outside bars at night, atleast I hope not!
anon

Newton Center, MA

#13 Mar 2, 2009
Sad wrote:
<quoted text>I dont think there are many 3rd graders outside bars at night, atleast I hope not!
Welcome to Lowell.
adios

Westford, MA

#14 Mar 2, 2009
then more then half the idiots in lowell should all go free for crimes they commit
the whole city has a low IQ
a driveway paver

Cambridge, MA

#16 Apr 20, 2010
daah
reefer cloud

Chelmsford, MA

#17 Apr 20, 2010
dracut resident wrote:
see only cops and people with low IQ's can get away with murder..does this mean cops really are idiots??
Its one thing being from Dracut. But admitting to it???
electrocuted

Cambridge, MA

#18 Sep 14, 2010
Ain't electricity wonderful?
F N Hadit

Wellesley, MA

#19 Sep 15, 2010
Must be why nothing ever happened to that wet-brained sot Kennedy after he drowned Mary Jo at Chappaquidick. The old "LoW IQ" defense.
MilitiaMaster

Lawrence, MA

#20 Sep 15, 2010
good lord...that means all the residents of Lowell on Scooter Chairs can go on a killing spree and turn the place into a real-life BarterTown, complete with Thunderdome?

Hot.
set free

Cambridge, MA

#21 Sep 24, 2010
Let the woman go!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dr Jerry Rind - is a disgusting sexist pig (Apr '17) Sep 26 Local 2
News N.H. judge says she closes eyes, but doesn't sl... (Feb '06) Sep 25 Stephen D Clark 248
News NH agencies warn of summer paving scams (Aug '09) Aug '17 JOHN42NH 98
News Stephan Condodemetraky, president of Dusty Old ... (Mar '17) Jul '17 Rpmx 4
Selectmen soliciting yes votes outside town hall Jun '17 Martha steward 1
News Seabrook Around the Town (Sep '08) May '17 mr truth 84
News Asbestos training-school operator to serve time... (Sep '11) Dec '16 in country club 5

Salem Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Salem Mortgages