Warrensburg, MO

#1 Feb 16, 2013
is it time to vote it in or can they be trusted jury is still out on carvajal
Just Me

Flemington, MO

#2 Feb 16, 2013
cujo wrote:
is it time to vote it in or can they be trusted jury is still out on carvajal
This has NOTHING to do with Carvajal! It's about providing a safe place for the children in our community to attend school.
Linda

Rolla, MO

#3 Feb 16, 2013
NOOOooooo,gas just went up .25 and elec.was $250 this month.We are being raped
Specter

Salem, MO

#4 Feb 16, 2013
Money grab!
Wow

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Feb 17, 2013
Without stereotyping here... I am absolutely ashamed of the way many Salemites automatically shut down the need for funding in education. The Salem R-80 Schools need a major restructuring. Are you aware they are far behind in offering tuition free early childhood programs such as preschool? Do you realize the concept of junior high has been done away with in most places? Most 9th graders do not attend classes in a building with 7th and 8th graders. They belong in the high school. The schools lack space, modern facilities, and quality academic programs due to the financial constraints they face. Did you realize the formula from the state has not been fully funded for years due to state budget cuts? I haven't seen the plan, I don't know the exact amount it would increase your financial output, but I would definitely consider it a return on your investment as students today are competing in a global economy where Americans are quite far behind. I don't know if you have any children, but I want the best for my children. They deserve a quality education and without the proper funding and support from the community the school district has its hands tied. I hope anyone who votes against a bond issue will keep their mouth shut in regards to any complaints made about how awful Salem schools are.

[QUOTEwho="Linda"]NO OOooooo,gas just went up .25 and elec.was $250 this month.We are being raped[/QUOTE]
Local

Jefferson City, MO

#6 Feb 17, 2013
Vote yes for your kids or your neighbors kids the condition of our schools is horrible at best!
right

United States

#7 Feb 17, 2013
Hey, Just me and wow, I didn't know there was an unsafe place for our kids in school. Kids deserve an education and safety ,but I don't think Salem has a serious threat. I know some one is going to say look what happened in Connecticut. There are a million schools between there and here.You can't stop a lunatic. Taking guns away is not going to solve the problem. Raising taxes is not going to help. Where is all the money from property taxes, and the lotto, Is somebody else spending it? There should be plenty of money for the school. I am getting sick of people constantly saying it is for our kids and use the money somewhere else. Cut the bullshet
Linda

Rolla, MO

#9 Feb 17, 2013
If the school would spend less on sports it would have money,if you wanna play football have fundraisers to bring in the money for these programs.No need to pay for a new coach,find some old players to do it for free.
Taxpayer

Holden, MO

#10 Feb 17, 2013
Lottery is suppose to give money to schools, where's it going, not to schools evidently. It really ticks me off when all that money we pay for taxes goes to schools and they still want more. I don't have kids in school but have grandkids in school.I agree about the sports, let them raise money for the events. Work for it tax payers do.I'm tired of all the taxes. People have a hard time as it is let alone paying more school taxes on top of everything else.
Taxpayer

Holden, MO

#11 Feb 17, 2013
I vote NO on any tax increase
right

United States

#12 Feb 17, 2013
I'm with you, no more taxes.
former student

Sweet Springs, MO

#13 Feb 17, 2013
Taxpayer wrote:
I vote NO on any tax increase
Let me guess, you're retired, aren't you? And God forbid you're taxes go up a slight amount and cut into your coffee fund. Have you been in the high school or junior high school lately? They're disgusting. The bathrooms don't have hot water to wash your hands with, some of the windows in class rooms have holes in them, the roof leaks every time it drizzles in the junior high, and the windows above the lockers in the senior hall have boards stick up there because the glass fell out! The junior and senior high are an eye sore and defiantly not the most structurally sound buildings. But, like I said, you're probably retired and too busy sitting down at the coffee house to care about the ghetto ass school the future leaders( or lack there of) of this town have to go to school in.
Funding

Warrensburg, MO

#14 Feb 17, 2013
Sports teams do hold fund raisers to raise money. I've been invited through Facebook to many fundraising events from the highschool sports teams. The teams are basically given enough money to replace any old equipment and rarely are ever given enough money to replace all uniforms. Most of the fundraisers I've been invited to are to rasie money for uniforms. If you're referring to the new scoreboards, bleachers, pavillions, etc. that we see at football, basketball and baseball games, then you need to remember the numerous pictures and articles in the Salem News that stated that the Judson-Young foundation is a huge contributor to all those items and local businesses around the community donated to these projects as well.
right

United States

#15 Feb 17, 2013
Hey former student, If he is retired , why should he pay for your kids? He paid all his life for you to go to school. He paid even if he didn't have kids. If you think schools need more money, than you anti up. The taxes and lotto should be more than enough but I guess you like getting screwed by the state government. Why should anyone pay for your kids when they have already paid for your freeloading butt. Now it is your turn to pay you arrogant rat bast---
cujo

Warrensburg, MO

#16 Feb 17, 2013
Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>
This has NOTHING to do with Carvajal! It's about providing a safe place for the children in our community to attend school.
your right it is not only about carvajal but he plays a big role in this along with the school board i want to make sure they know the best way to tackle this problem . i want to make sure we get our moneys worth before we hand them a open check book face it some school board members are there for self serving reasons i trust a couple some are there for prestige and one in paticular doesnt know if he is there or not he will have to check with his wife now she wants to run as well think this through before you vote and find out exactly what your tax increase will be and ask yourself this is the school doing everthing to keep your child safe with the means it has now not every danger comes from the outside
Linda

Rolla, MO

#17 Feb 17, 2013
Local wrote:
Vote yes for your kids or your neighbors kids the condition of our schools is horrible at best!
I already pay for there houseing (hud),pay for there food (foodstamps),I be Dam if i pay for a new school..I would pay a tax to get people fixed that can't afford kids.
former student

Salem, MO

#18 Feb 17, 2013
right wrote:
Hey former student, If he is retired , why should he pay for your kids? He paid all his life for you to go to school. He paid even if he didn't have kids. If you think schools need more money, than you anti up. The taxes and lotto should be more than enough but I guess you like getting screwed by the state government. Why should anyone pay for your kids when they have already paid for your freeloading butt. Now it is your turn to pay you arrogant rat bast---
I guess no one understands that a poor learning environment makes for a bad education. I don't have any kids, I only graduated a couple years ago, actually. Now I'm in college. Getting an education higher than a high school diploma must be considered free loading these day. Anyways, back to the point. You would think if it was to better the education and learning environment of junior and high school aged kids, people would support a small tax raise.
No wonder so many kids drop out at good ole Salem High School. My parents supported and encouraged me to get out of Salem and get a real education. But, with people like you in this town, who don't support education, no wonder Salem's MAP scores are low and the drop out rate is high.
Linda

Rolla, MO

#19 Feb 17, 2013
What are the MAP scores and drop out rate for salem?Compared to other towns?Do you even know?
former student

Salem, MO

#20 Feb 17, 2013
www.dese.mo.gov

Also, the average ACT score for this area is 16. That's pathetic
Rob

United States

#21 Feb 17, 2013
Our entire nations public education system is screwed, scores and proficiency down across the board. Teachers are forced to teach to the test and the least interested or capable student sets the pace for the room. It's a joke. As is the highway robbery that the lottery funding was supposed to represent. Sure, lottery money goes to education, they just didnt mention the would remove an equal amount of already provided funding when it kicked in so schools got the shaft. It's not just Salem, its our entire country getting weaker by the year and most either don't care or refuse to acknowledge the truth. Our country now has more people on welfare than the ENTIRE population of Spain.
http://m.cnsnews.com/news/article/food-stamp-...

Unemployment/ under employment rates for those with college degrees are close to 50% for those who invest in their future. It's going to take more than a bond issue to fix what ails us, but its a damn good place to start.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coon hunters Association 18 min what's up today? 94
City Administration and Upper Management 21 min what's up today? 4
Poll Should Jessica Sparks be removed from office? (Jun '09) 47 min Kelly 17
Tabatha Capps (Apr '09) 52 min Muffy 56
Brandi Baird new PA (Oct '09) 54 min Boyfriend 42
Everclear and Witches Alter. Wed Anon 3
Mayor and Aldermen (Oct '16) Tue what's up today? 163

Salem Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance