First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Objection

Dallas, TX

#1 Nov 15, 2010
Since when is poaching a form of entertainment? I think it is rediculous and should have a harsher punishment than a fine. I get tired of finding people on land that is not theirs. I also am sick of finding deer remains because someone shot a deer from a vehicle and they could not get to it because a car came or someone saw them. This is really frustrating as an avid hunter and I wish it would stop. Think about the poor deer that suffer if they are wounded and don't die immediately. That is cruel and inhumane. I hope someday a law can be passed to make poaching a felony with a mandatory sentence. I love hunting but when it is done the right way.
Will Prosecute

De Soto, MO

#2 Nov 16, 2010
I agree, but what im really tired of is you people poaching off my land when i have no hunting signs up. I dont hunt, never have , i do agree we need a season, but when i payed for my land, and i have signs up, dont be caught on my property. My wife enjoys the wild life, as do i, hunt on your own place.
brandi

Odessa, MO

#3 Nov 16, 2010
What bothers me is when you see a dead deer in the ditch with only its head missing, or just its horns missing. What a waste.
whatever

Salem, MO

#4 Nov 16, 2010
Will Prosecute wrote:
I agree, but what im really tired of is you people poaching off my land when i have no hunting signs up. I dont hunt, never have , i do agree we need a season, but when i payed for my land, and i have signs up, dont be caught on my property. My wife enjoys the wild life, as do i, hunt on your own place.
Next time I am by" your" land and I hit one of" your" animals
you can pay for the damage to my vehicle
wondering

Salem, MO

#5 Nov 16, 2010
What bothers me are the "hunters" who kill a deer, take the backstraps and hams (antlers, too, if it's a buck) and leave the rest of the deer laying there for the coyotes and vultures to clean up. Do they do that so they don't have to tag the deer? What's the deal?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#6 Nov 16, 2010
True, deer are a threat to motorists. Who has the most right to the highways? Driving is a necessary part of life, but thousands of years of evolution didn't prepare deer for the unnatural speed limits that we drive. Are there any animals in Missouri that can run 50 or 70 miles an hour? Maybe in the future our vehicles will be ingrained into the deers instincts.
turtled

Wentzville, MO

#7 Nov 16, 2010
I agree. I saw a poacher on land I know is private today. We circled back and got the binaculers to identify him. Guess he tucked into the woods. The laws do need to be changed. Funny thing is...some of these guys start bragging when they hit the sauce. That is the only way they ever get caught. Dirty!
haha

Salem, MO

#8 Nov 16, 2010
Do wildlife watchers really think those animals stay on there land only? I have nothing against it. I myself do not hunt, but my family does and they are probably eating deer you HAD been watching right at this moment. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Objection

Chicago, IL

#9 Nov 16, 2010
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Next time I am by" your" land and I hit one of" your" animals
you can pay for the damage to my vehicle
He said nothing about deer BY his land. He said stay off of his. When the deer are on private property the property owner has the right to shoot with a gun or if they so choose, a camera. If the deer aren't on his land do you think he cares if you hit it with your vehicle ? Were talking about poaching not hitting an animal with a car. If you don't like it stay out of the conversation. The end!
Deer hunter

Chicago, IL

#10 Nov 16, 2010
I agree, but what im really tired of is you people poaching off my land when i have no hunting signs up. I dont hunt, never have , i do agree we need a season, but when i payed for my land, and i have signs up, dont be caught on my property. My wife enjoys the wild life, as do i, hunt on your own place. Hope all ur deer get shot u damn bunny hugger tree lover
Objection

Chicago, IL

#11 Nov 16, 2010
Deer hunter wrote:
I agree, but what im really tired of is you people poaching off my land when i have no hunting signs up. I dont hunt, never have , i do agree we need a season, but when i payed for my land, and i have signs up, dont be caught on my property. My wife enjoys the wild life, as do i, hunt on your own place. Hope all ur deer get shot u damn bunny hugger tree lover
You are kind of a jackass. Must be a poacher.....?
Anonymous

Jefferson City, MO

#12 Nov 16, 2010
I think by the objection to someone has to the use of the phrase "my land" I have to wonder if they take the communist view that everything is public and they have the "right" to enter and or shoot anything anywhere they wish? I don't think the gentleman is claming that he somehow "owns the deer" - I think the point he is making is that he does have a right to prevent you from trespass. The law is fairly clear as to this point. For example, a deer is on his property. You cannot shoot the deer while standing on public property, i.e. "the road" nor can you enter his property without his permission and "shoot the deer." Now lets say that you have a farm next door and the deer jumps the fence onto the land you hold title to. Then you CAN shoot the deer.

That is the law - those who choose not to obey that law are subject to the penalty of the law. In this case it is a fine, or in the case of the owner being present and shots being fired "in a menacing manner" then you could face a short prison sentence. I would not go so far as to say "attempted murder" perhaps just wreckless endangerment and brandishing a fire arm... either way the sentence guidelines suggest prison.

The moral implications of hunting for "sport" -vs- "food" are another argument. As for "criminal trespass" that has very little to do with "tree hugging" - although from the tone of the gentleman defending his property rights, I don't think he would fall into that category.

I keep my gates locked, my signs posted and my security cameras on... Does this stop a trespasser? The answer is no... but videotape (or in this case, digital recordings) are admissible in court and I have used them as evidence in the past. I suggest you invest a few hundred dollars to "secure your perimeter" - and you will sleep better at night. I know I do.
Just thinking

Richland, MO

#13 Nov 17, 2010
Well i think the subject was poaching. Im a true redneck and very open minded, but i know alot of people who poach because it is the only meat their family can get. It is sad how bad it is on some people financially. I would rather some one poach a deer to feed their family then go hungry. Just sayin.
whatever

Salem, MO

#14 Nov 17, 2010
skid stop and shoot
Anonymous

Jefferson City, MO

#15 Nov 17, 2010
To "just thinking" - I don't think anyone believes that for a minute - the same people who "poach" are the ones on public assistance. Let them use their food stamps. Also - from the belt line of that type of person - they could probably stand a little diet - and their colon would thank them for switching from red meat.

Since: Aug 10

Harrisonville, MO

#16 Nov 17, 2010
I find it hard to beleive that someone has to poach to eat. If they need food there is many sources/food banks. Also the Conservation agent in the county will give them any deer that is killed and not wanted.
HE

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#17 Nov 17, 2010
Had Enough of Salem wrote:
I find it hard to beleive that someone has to poach to eat. If they need food there is many sources/food banks. Also the Conservation agent in the county will give them any deer that is killed and not wanted.
HE
I find it hard to believe also. If they are so poor that they can't buy food, then how could they afford to pay the fines or the court-cost after they get caught by an agent?
wondering

Salem, MO

#18 Nov 17, 2010
I heard a RUMOR that a local conservation agent was shot by a hunter who was caught poaching? Has anyone else heard anything about this? MAKE NOTE: THAT I SAID RUMOR! before yelling at me for starting one.
alma

Rolla, MO

#19 Nov 17, 2010
wondering wrote:
I heard a RUMOR that a local conservation agent was shot by a hunter who was caught poaching? Has anyone else heard anything about this? MAKE NOTE: THAT I SAID RUMOR! before yelling at me for starting one.
Absolute RUMOR. The agent is fine and would like to know who started the rumor?
wondering

Salem, MO

#20 Nov 17, 2010
Alma, I heard about this while in town today, however how do you know that all the agents are okay to say that "the agent" is fine?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Democrats 2 hr Cold Warrior 34
Mayor and Aldermen (Oct '16) 4 hr earl 208
The most unique and beautiful woman (Apr '11) 5 hr Bily 30
Drunk drivers 20 hr Truth 18
need help around the house? Sun broke life 5
amber shaw (Apr '14) Sat Berr97302 6
city administrator - clayton lucas (Jul '13) Sat Stfu 12

Salem Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance