Posted in the Salem Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Vagas

Salem, MO

#1 Jun 18, 2011
Up-date on Camp Zoe, MO home of Schwagstocks:
​Federal prosecutors allege that undercover agents purchased illegal drugs more than 100 times at Camp Zoe, the 350-acre camp in rural Missouri that they're trying to seize from owner Jimmy Tebeau.

In a new asset forfeiture complaint filed this morning in federal court, prosecutors outlined the reasons why they believe they should be permitted to seize proceeds from the camp, which has been home to dozens of Schwagstock festivals. As we reported previously, they filed a grand jury indictment yesterday against the camp's owner, James T. "Jimmy" Tebeau, charging him with a single felony count of "maintaining a drug-involved premises."

The federal government first filed paperwork to seize Camp Zoe for seven months. According to the new case they filed this morning, which also seeks the right to seize a quarter-million dollars in profits from Tebeau, agents have been working their investigation since 2006.
During that time period, they allege, undercover agents "specifically observed the open sales of cocaine, marijuana, LSD, ecstasy, psilocybin mushrooms, opium, and marijuana-laced food products by individuals attending the music festival." Those agents allegedly made "over 100 undercover purchases."

And, they claim, Camp Zoe staffers looked the other way. Per the indictment:

Many of the illegal drug transactions were conducted while Camp Zoe staffmembers, including the owner Tebeau, were in the immediate area and took no action to prevent the activity. Additionally, there were several known locations along roads and foot trails in Camp Zoe where individuals would commonly congregate, display their illegal drugs, and call out what they were selling as individuals walked by; Camp Zoe staff undertook no action to break up or prevent these known gatherings.
We have a call out to Tebeau's lawyer, Scott Rosenblum; we'll update this post if we hear back.

The feds allege that festivals at Camp Zoe routinely drew 5,000 to 6,000 people. They say that Tebeau made $1.4 million from gate receipts for the festivals from August 2006 to November 2010, when they first began attempting to seize the property.

As the complaint acknowledges, when the feds began asset forfeiture proceedings against Tebeau, they also seized his money -- taking $137,710 from two different bank accounts.

The new complaint alleges that, since Tebeau "managed or controlled Camp Zoe and intentionally made it for us, with or without compensation, for the purpose of unlawfully distributing or using controlled substances," the government should get even more of his profits. They're asking the judge to grant them a judgment worth $250,000, or, alternatively, "two times the gross receipts...from each violation."

Incidentally, there's been zero activity on the original forfeiture case the feds filed in November in hopes of seizing Camp Zoe since January -- when the feds asked for a stay to focus on its criminal investigation.

January is also when the bank that actually owns the property made it clear that it has the first lien. In essence, the bank's claim stated that the feds couldn't seize the land from Tebeau -- because, by virtue of the mortgage Tebeau took out on the property, they are its true owners. That could be why the feds are now focusing on the gate receipts from the Schwagstock events -- or maybe, they're just greedy bastards.
Ann

AOL

#2 Jun 18, 2011
Jimmy Tebeau deserves to go to prison. He is a criminal. I hope that he has to serve 20 years in prison and with each passing day that he spends in prison, that he comes to understand that what he has done is morally and legally wrong!! But I'm sure that he will just be angry that he lost all of his money and that he got caught.
Vagas

Salem, MO

#3 Jun 18, 2011
Ann wrote:
Jimmy Tebeau deserves to go to prison. He is a criminal. I hope that he has to serve 20 years in prison and with each passing day that he spends in prison, that he comes to understand that what he has done is morally and legally wrong!! But I'm sure that he will just be angry that he lost all of his money and that he got caught.
Ditto!!!!!!!!! Times 10 !!
What The Hell

AOL

#4 Jun 18, 2011
Nothing good comes from drugs!!!!!!!

Perfect example has just been shown. and if anyone reading this thinks that they drugs do good for people, this is another example of drugs eating up brain cells.
Vagas

Salem, MO

#5 Jun 18, 2011
What The Hell wrote:
Perfect example has just been shown. and if anyone reading this thinks that they drugs do good for people, this is another example of drugs eating up brain cells.
Yeah, I think it is also called, "Karma".
Throwdown

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Jun 18, 2011
What The Hell wrote:
Maybe you like the legal drugs??? I couldn't make any sense of your alcohol induced bantering! You must be very proud of your education!
What The Hell

AOL

#7 Jun 19, 2011
Throwdown wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you like the legal drugs??? I couldn't make any sense of your alcohol induced bantering! You must be very proud of your education!
So what? Big deal!! Boo Hoo!! So, my fingers get a little too fast sometimes. But if you're too stupid to understand what I was trying to say, I'll be happy to "try" to explain it to you. It seems others understood exactly what I was saying. It's pretty obvious who the uneducated one might be. That was easy to understand, mistakes or not. Let me know if you need some help. I'm always happy to assist those in need. BTW, unlike yourself, I don't imbibe in the "spirits"
What The Hell

AOL

#8 Jun 19, 2011
Throwdown wrote:
<quoted text>
Plus, I would like to add for your education.... Webster's definition of to banter (bantering) is; to speak to or address in a witty and teasing manner.

I'm sure that's not what you meant to say to me. You need to get it right before you start to correct somebody. You end up looking extremely stupid. And uneducated. You should know the definition of a word before you look like a dumbass with no credibility and not qualified to "throwdown" with anybody. You're beneath me and don't deserve to converse with me so go "throw down" (challenge) with someone else that you can beat.
What The Hell

AOL

#9 Jun 19, 2011
Throwdown wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to go over to the STD's thread or WalMart thread. That's where you would fit in better. Definately not the Museum thread, you looked really, really stupid over there.
If you're so educated, please learn to punctuate. It was horrible in that piece you wrote over there.
Golly Gee!! Throwdown, how is this working out for you??????
Seen it coming

Salem, MO

#10 Jun 19, 2011
Indicted, We all knew something would happen eventually with Zoe. As the Zoe turns.
Local

Salem, MO

#11 Jun 20, 2011
I still go swimming at Zoe. I never have seen Jimmy Tebeau at Zoe while I am down their at least once a week swimming in Sinking Creek. I have been going to Camp Zoe, MO for many years. I see the same homeless people running Zoe, that have ran it the entire time Jimmy Tebeau owned it. They run Zoe as if they have always owned it, and they are running it now, as if Zoe is going to be home of Schwagstocks again. I will personally be very happy when these homeless Zoe people get evicted. ASAP is not soon enough. I will enjoy Zoe much better when this is finally DONE. Looks like its going fast with the real owner, Jimmy Tebeau, getting Indicted with this "Reality Check".
Needs to Stop

Willow Springs, MO

#12 Jun 20, 2011
I am not here to support or side with anyone, but, I feel this is a very sad issue. I do have a little background knowledge of the Camp Zoe situation. And per the indictment the claim that Mr. Tebeau only purchased the Zoe property to use as a drug vending operation and the festival were a guise to cover the drug dealing is a total falsehood being spread by the feds, in an attempt to seize assets (i.e. property and money). Mr. Tebeau has had a music career for more than 20 years and has been holding festivals for nearly 15 years. The camp zoe property was bought for the sole purpose to use as a campground and a place to host music festivals, nothing more. Tis was done in the event of saving money renting a campground to hold the festivals. He had ample security and no one could posibly be able to supervise every single act taking place upon such a large tract of land and with such a large attendance. As for the people being termed as homeless some of these people are relatives of Mr. Tebeau and manage the campgrounds and receive compensation for doing so, and in part are required to reside upon the property to help better manage the camp. Mr. Tebeau is being victimized by the State and Fed police. And As I said I am not here to support anyone or any drug use, but, put yourself in a position similar to his, especially if any of you happen to be canoe rental or campground owners in the area. If a customer come to your business and certainly they are not going to tell you they have drugs, but get caught selling some substance to another camper in your campground and get caught doing so, should you be responsible for their negligent behavior? and should someone seize your property and assets due to their actions. Well I personally don't think so, but, take this as your warning, The federal and state police Do!!! Yes this innocent misunderstanding could happen to any of us at any time So dislike Camp Zoe and any of its facilitators or not, there is definitely a bigger picture happening here that affects all of our right. Just something to think about!
What The Hell

AOL

#13 Jun 20, 2011
Needs to Stop wrote:
I am not here to support or side with anyone, but, I feel this is a very sad issue. I do have a little background knowledge of the Camp Zoe situation. And per the indictment the claim that Mr. Tebeau only purchased the Zoe property to use as a drug vending operation and the festival were a guise to cover the drug dealing is a total falsehood being spread by the feds, in an attempt to seize assets (i.e. property and money). Mr. Tebeau has had a music career for more than 20 years and has been holding festivals for nearly 15 years. The camp zoe property was bought for the sole purpose to use as a campground and a place to host music festivals, nothing more. Tis was done in the event of saving money renting a campground to hold the festivals. He had ample security and no one could posibly be able to supervise every single act taking place upon such a large tract of land and with such a large attendance. As for the people being termed as homeless some of these people are relatives of Mr. Tebeau and manage the campgrounds and receive compensation for doing so, and in part are required to reside upon the property to help better manage the camp. Mr. Tebeau is being victimized by the State and Fed police. And As I said I am not here to support anyone or any drug use, but, put yourself in a position similar to his, especially if any of you happen to be canoe rental or campground owners in the area. If a customer come to your business and certainly they are not going to tell you they have drugs, but get caught selling some substance to another camper in your campground and get caught doing so, should you be responsible for their negligent behavior? and should someone seize your property and assets due to their actions. Well I personally don't think so, but, take this as your warning, The federal and state police Do!!! Yes this innocent misunderstanding could happen to any of us at any time So dislike Camp Zoe and any of its facilitators or not, there is definitely a bigger picture happening here that affects all of our right. Just something to think about!
So what do you think should be the punishment for allowing illegal drug transactions on your property? You CANNOT tell me he didn't have any idea that it was going on.
If a bar sells alcohol to an underage person or someone that is already drunk, they'll lose their license and then ultimately their business.
He should've had better security. His relatives weren't doing their job. And in the end, the boss is responsible for the actions of their employees.
Camp Zoe Hater

Wentzville, MO

#14 Jun 20, 2011
I for one have never been to Camp Zoe and the DRUGS are the reason why! I hope he gets LIFE w/o parole! He is just another Drug dealer busted, and all of you that defend him are pissed cause you cant sell your dope there anymore. I have heard many people talking about getting the best dope/drugs from there. Here is a question for you! How would you like it if your kids went there and overdosed on some of the drugs sold from there. Then it would be a different story, well wait, why would you care, you probably feed your kid dope! I have never seen anything good come from a drug dealer. So GO FEDS! Geth the DRUGGIES OFF THE STREETS! I cant believe people truly think that this owner didn't know what was going on! Please! How could he not know! I know and I have never steped foot on his property! Geeze! I dont want to hear how sorry you feel for this guy! I say let him ROT, along with all his little THUGS!
Needs to Stop

Willow Springs, MO

#15 Jun 20, 2011
Well to my understanding by the newspaper accounts not one drug dealer was ever arrested, the officers claim they had identified several drug dealers and made purchases WHY WERE THESE PEOPLE NOT ARRESTED!!! Are the police also accomplices same as Mr. Tebeau as they too also did nothing to stop the dealers and chose to victimize the landowner. they too were as aware. Maybe the Hwy Patrol office in Willow Springs is next for seizure I think not. As Hater said Get the druggies off the street but there has been no attempt to do so they are still out there and the man who was not selling anything except entry onto his property is indicted. And as for what the hell says it is sort of different The bar is this willing party who is directly selling the alcohol to the minor and profiting from it so there is a direct connection to breaking the law. Do not know what kind of penalty should be imposed as not sure if this is a violation of ones right as a business owner or an actual crime committed by the owners of Zoe. Remember Shannon County Sheriffs office was asked to also patrol the campground by the owners of Zoe and refused. So they might have helped to stop this problem also, Or are they in collusion also. The points I point out about Hwy Patrol and Shannon County are the points I am trying to express how far does it go as to claim one did not do enough to stop the problem? And are they also,liable to prosecution or asset forfeiture. AS I stated this is not about support of drug dealers or anyone who uses them just my attempt to help understand what is really taking place here. A fact you may not know In Mo the forfeiture laws state a person HAS TO BE GUILTY OF A FELONY before assets can be seized. And 80% of the proceeds go to schools in the community. Now under Federal Law there does not have to be any conviction just a mere unsubstantiated allegation. Furthermore the proceeds from seizures are divided as follow: Feds get 10% and local police receive the remaining 90%. Maybe this explains why the actual dealers from whom the police did make buys from were never arrested, but, the owner of Zoe was targeted. As none of these hippies who were dealing drugs there had a pot to piss in so taget the landowners for the financial gains of the police. Not to mention by calling in the feds the 20% they may have gotten now becomes 90% and Feds Get 10% and our schools get screwed out of the money they should receive. Now if this doesn't concern you in anyway remember these facts I just pointed out to you when your local school district proposes and receives it next tax levy. That will be the paid for by your taxes out of your families pockets and food for your children and clothes. Now we become the victims of this Like Mr.Tebeau and the people who were actually selling drugs are still out there selling their drugs ON THE STREET, since the state and local police and the Feds wished target a victim and not the crime for the sake of their budget. Hope this helps at least one person to understand its not about drugs or anything else, its about police and control, at the expense of the innocent.
What The Hell

AOL

#16 Jun 20, 2011
In yhour opinion, who are the innocent?

Would you want your children to attend any function there? Would you want your children to camp out there? By children, I mean kids under 18
smartperson

Chicago, IL

#17 Jun 20, 2011
Get a clue People, if the feds can do this to IT they can do it to anyone.
What The Hell

AOL

#18 Jun 20, 2011
That's a good reason to keep your nose clean then
alma

Jefferson City, MO

#19 Jun 20, 2011
smartperson wrote:
Here is an idea...don't do anything illegal and you won't be bothered. Gee, how hard his that? I don't care if the feds, as you call them, come into my home and search until dawn....I have nothing in my home that is illegal. That's how you stay out of trouble. DUH!!!!!
What The Hell

AOL

#20 Jun 20, 2011
smartperson wrote:
So you think JT did absolutely nothing wrong? Get your head out of that purple haze and come back to reality. He's not innocent

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
4th street furniture & antiques 29 min Dont give a f 107
Agent Crouch Back in Salem! (Jan '16) 2 hr Bond 5
Anthony Daschke (AJ) 4 hr trouble 3
Pizza inn new owner 6 hr Joe 3
Salem is the Worst Town I've Seen 19 hr what's up today? 17
Angie Schafer Thu worm 9
Live peaceful protest Wed Man up 10

Salem Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance