First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Help

Jefferson City, MO

#1 Aug 12, 2011
I need opinion of which would be the best nursing home in Salem to put my mother in. I looked at the 2 and just not sure. I would like responses from people with personal experience with this issue. Thanks
Elder Care

Salem, MO

#2 Aug 12, 2011
Salem Care, Seville and Salem Residential are all owned by the same company. Long Term Care at the hospital is independent of the other three. If it were necessary to place my Mother in a facility I would do my best to get her in Long Term Care. However it is hard to get a placement there. They have a waiting list which is driven by status in the community and money. So you could be at the top of the list but if someone with more money and prestige comes along you get the boot and they get the bed. The first three I mentioned are purely profit driven. The employees are poorly paid and mistreated. Creating an environment which is not in the best interest of the clients. Personally I would not as you articulated “put my Mother” in any of them. You and your Mother would be better served to look into at home care. The cost is about the same and your Mother gets to stay at home and you can better monitor the care she is getting. Good luck in finding the best option for your circumstances.
Laura Trolinger

United States

#3 Aug 12, 2011
I w ouldn't put her in either one of them, myself. I personally probably go with the one in licking, if I had to put one of my family in a nursing home. These here in salem the first thing u smell when u walk in the front door is urine, that says something. But if u have to please check on her daily. Thats just my opinion. Like elder care said I would try in home care first. Disable citizen of viburnum is a great place to start.
Shiela

Salem, MO

#4 Aug 12, 2011
In MY OPINION, I would NOT use Seville. I've seen things go on there that are NOT ok. Since you love your mother, I would chose wisely! Visit more than once and listen carefully!
mammas friend

Ozark, MO

#5 Aug 12, 2011
I have worked in 3 of the three owned by the same company. And I could tell you stories you just wouldnt beleive. There is a website , I cant remember the name just look up nursing home citations in missouri you should find it. it will tell you ratings for every nursing home in the state - what they were cited for and was it fixed and much more information about the home. GIBBS care center in steelville [I worked there too] is the BEST I have ever seen . They were one of the first in the state to go to the 'people model' instead of the medical model as most are. Also that is a community owned facility non profit . They hava a administrater and a community board the he answers to . several board members as well as workers have family as residents there. If I ever have to go to a home thats where I want to be . Mary Major directo of nurses 30+ years and Larry Howdishelll administrator 20+ years anre fine local ppl that run a tight ship that centers on you moms needs as a person with dignity , not just filling a bed. they have high ratings good food loving staff and fun activities.
GO see 'em it is a different kind of home.
Rocks Rules

Harvey, LA

#6 Aug 12, 2011
I have only been in about 5, 2 in Salem. I didn't care for any of them. We all hope it never come to that but it happens. Choosing has to be hard. Personally, I'd look into the in home care first.
I know it was the hardest thing my Dad had to do.
Best of luck to you and your family.
Help

Jefferson City, MO

#7 Aug 13, 2011
Thanks for your responses. We have no choice my mom has to be in a nursing home. Just trying to pick the best one of the choices we have.
Jamie

Salem, MO

#9 Aug 13, 2011
Do you have a preference in location?
Beenthere

United States

#10 Aug 13, 2011
If she is able I would go to salem residential but if she cant go there as and needed to go somewhere in salem then I would go to salem care center before seville.
linda

Plattsburg, MO

#11 Aug 13, 2011
Shiela wrote:
In MY OPINION, I would NOT use Seville. I've seen things go on there that are NOT ok. Since you love your mother, I would chose wisely! Visit more than once and listen carefully!
i have worked at Seville and i have to tell you, that i never smelled urine, and i worked on the side that the people could do things for themselves, but when you walk it in dont smell anything in there. no nursing home is great when you go to put a loved one in it, but if and when i do have to go in one, Sevile would be one thati wouldnt mind going to. no one wants to go to any of them, but that doesnt mean they smell, those aides do all they can to take care of them.
Help

Jefferson City, MO

#12 Aug 14, 2011
As far as a location, with Helia loosing their Federal Credentials, finding somewhere close is hard to do since we found out at the last minute. We found out 10 days before she has to be out. With her in Salem it would be just easier for use to visit her more often. Not to make anyone mad if they have loved ones in these places but we did notice a smell at Seville when we walked in, don't know what the smell was but there was one and most of the residents seems like they were less with it than what my mom is. I know she would like to have people to talk with and make friends.
yeah right

Salem, MO

#13 Aug 14, 2011
linda wrote:
<quoted text>i have worked at Seville and i have to tell you, that i never smelled urine, and i worked on the side that the people could do things for themselves, but when you walk it in dont smell anything in there. no nursing home is great when you go to put a loved one in it, but if and when i do have to go in one, Sevile would be one thati wouldnt mind going to. no one wants to go to any of them, but that doesnt mean they smell, those aides do all they can to take care of them.
Remember when the pushed that lady to to smdh and they dragged her feet all the way an the lady died
facts

United States

#14 Aug 14, 2011
The lady didn't die because of her feet for one. The only reason I know that is I'm friends with her grandson. For two both were terminated immediately. And to my knowledge dont even work in health care anymore Three there is a new DON out there that has pretty much cleaned house of any rif raf that worked there. Honestly I think the place is 100% better than it has been in a while. Salem care is good too. I had a family member there also. Never been to the residential home though.
mammas friend

Ozark, MO

#15 Aug 14, 2011
You dont have easy choices as most families dont. My advice if you cant put her at gibbs is visit often everyday on different shifts. make friends with top aids - they will take extra care of her and see that others do to . They kinda adopt them in their heart.. they cant help it. I you have concerns about her care , tel not just a nurse but the DON or administrator in moments they dont always know what really goes on till a family complains. off to help with her little needs like feeding or streightening her room attend activities to make sure she is included. I know thats what you pay them for but the goal is she get the best care when your not there. be tactfull when speaking to nurses and aids they get a attitude with high maintinance familys . Express that her diginity is important to you and thank them often even it it IS their job. but the key is bee there ALOT.
facts

United States

#16 Aug 14, 2011
I absolutely agree with mommas friend. Visit as often as u possibly can. My mother was in Seville. Wonderful rehab people. And I thought wound care was top notch. Better than a st. Louis hospital anyways. It helps that I have worked in health care and understand a lot of things others may not. Especially ones that pretty much drop them off the door and visit only maybe once a month. my advice is where ever you put her. Visit often all different hours. Ask questions. And do express your gratitude to the staff because even though they get paid to take care of the patient it matters to the aide that the family is thankful for what they do.
Anonymous

Salem, MO

#17 Aug 14, 2011
What happened to Helia I worked there back in November?
Help

Jefferson City, MO

#18 Aug 14, 2011
The State came in and did a evaluation and they passed but the Federal Government came in and they flunked. Supposedly they were not making approvements fast enough for them.
from Salem

Warrensburg, MO

#19 Aug 15, 2011
I too worked at one of these homes. I would not put any family member in these homes. My advice clean out your spare room, make your kids share a room whatever you need to do, move your mother in with you and let her live out the rest of her days with respect at home with people she knows. Nothing would be better for your mom.
The only time these places are hard at work for your loved ones is when they know your coming or the state people are on their way! Sorry to be so glum but I speak the truth! and believe the stories you hear they are probley true, womans ffet being dragged across the pavement all the way to the hosp is true, the employes having sex in the empty rooms, and the linen closets, while on duty, true.
facts

United States

#20 Aug 15, 2011
No one said it wasn't true about her feet. But it wasn't the nursing homes fault. From what I was told by her grandson was they were arrested and terminated immediately.
Someone who cares

Waynesville, MO

#21 Aug 15, 2011
People who talk about Seville Care Center have not went there and took a tour and talked to the staff. They have a new air system that flows thru the building and it is clean smelling. There is no nursing home that sometimes you are not going to smell smells it just happens. Seville has a new DON that works extra hard to take of any problems that come up. You people that have problems with Seville are probably workers that was let go because you would not take care of the people. The administrator is a careing person who wants the residents taken care of like she would her own family. If there is a problem THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF IT NOW. Just bring your love one there if you are unhappy I can tell you it will be taken care of. I personally have have at least 4 family members there and all issues was addressed and I would take any of my loved ones any where else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are you looking for a change? 1 hr what's up today? 34
Rider's Mansion (Mar '10) 4 hr loganbaker11_2 209
marriage counselor 4 hr Free 2
Welfare 10 hr Freebe 3
Black Teachers 14 hr Shake it off 24
Armed Robbery 15 hr pugnacious47 57
edward Durham 16 hr Salem Resident 3
More from around the web

Salem People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE