First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mom

Salem, MO

#21 Oct 4, 2012
It scares me way more when the school takes walking field trips with the children (the R-80 school that is) than it does for my child to play outside at the learning center. Someone would really have to try hard to run through that fence where it sits. The most logical way to hit it would be if you were traveling north on 19, however it would still have to be a pretty big jerk to the right to run into the playground. I have payed special attention to this after reading the posts and wondering about the safety. I still feel my children are 100% safe, 100% cared for, and I am 100% satisfied that this is a great place.

I saw mention of a church daycare earlier in the postings and I wanted to offer my insight into this. When I first moved to this area several years ago I worked for a very short time at one of the church daycares. I had worked as a pre-school/daycare teacher as well as owned my own daycare in the past and so when I heard of he position it seemed perfect. However, what I saw was anything but perfect. I saw children being spanked, children being yelled at, and one teacher with such a heavy accent I couldn't even understand her, so I am sure the 2 year olds she was yelling at couldn't either. I immediately reported her and when nothing was done I immediately moved on and my children never went another day there. I will not bad mouth church facilities in general because I do not feel all are bad, I just happen to know the one I had an experience with from the inside was not what I felt was appropriate.

Who to trust your children with is one of the harder decisions you will make when your child is young. We cannot be productive through the day if we are worried about the care of our children.

The owner's children play within that fence, just like mine do. There is no way in the world she would put her own children or my children at a risk higher than the average risk of daily life.

I wish you the best in finding a place you are comfortable with. I do not envy you for being at this stage. It is one of the most nerve racking decisions as a caring parent.
grez

Euless, TX

#22 Oct 4, 2012
All you people complaining about "safety" how many of your kids ride a school bus every day? Guess how many seatbelts are on the bus.... ZERO! Find something else to discuss. This is a stupid thing to argue about
Billie Bettigrew

Sweet Springs, MO

#23 Oct 4, 2012
My daughter Avery goes here every day after school, and every day in the summer time. i cant speak for all parents, just me, and i have absolutely no problem with the fence or the care she gets there. actually she is wanting to go tomorrow for the art project they are doing after school tomorrow, instead of getting picked up after school. so before you judge, let the kids jugde, my daughter is very picky and i think her actions show how happy she is.
scaredmomma

Salem, MO

#24 Oct 4, 2012
grez wrote:
All you people complaining about "safety" how many of your kids ride a school bus every day? Guess how many seatbelts are on the bus.... ZERO! Find something else to discuss. This is a stupid thing to argue about
My child doesn't ride a bus.
scaredmomma

Salem, MO

#25 Oct 4, 2012
I'm not trying to judge anyone for taking their children there. I was just giving my thoughts on it. The first post asked what ppl thought about it and I was giving my opinion. As I have already said I don't know the ppl running it. They may be great, I don't know. I just know how I feel about what I see as a safety issue.
scaredmomma

Salem, MO

#26 Oct 4, 2012
Mom wrote:
It scares me way more when the school takes walking field trips with the children (the R-80 school that is) than it does for my child to play outside at the learning center. Someone would really have to try hard to run through that fence where it sits. The most logical way to hit it would be if you were traveling north on 19, however it would still have to be a pretty big jerk to the right to run into the playground. I have payed special attention to this after reading the posts and wondering about the safety. I still feel my children are 100% safe, 100% cared for, and I am 100% satisfied that this is a great place.

I saw mention of a church daycare earlier in the postings and I wanted to offer my insight into this. When I first moved to this area several years ago I worked for a very short time at one of the church daycares. I had worked as a pre-school/daycare teacher as well as owned my own daycare in the past and so when I heard of he position it seemed perfect. However, what I saw was anything but perfect. I saw children being spanked, children being yelled at, and one teacher with such a heavy accent I couldn't even understand her, so I am sure the 2 year olds she was yelling at couldn't either. I immediately reported her and when nothing was done I immediately moved on and my children never went another day there. I will not bad mouth church facilities in general because I do not feel all are bad, I just happen to know the one I had an experience with from the inside was not what I felt was appropriate.

Who to trust your children with is one of the harder decisions you will make when your child is young. We cannot be productive through the day if we are worried about the care of our children.

The owner's children play within that fence, just like mine do. There is no way in the world she would put her own children or my children at a risk higher than the average risk of daily life.

I wish you the best in finding a place you are comfortable with. I do not envy you for being at this stage. It is one of the most nerve racking decisions as a caring parent.
I have also heard terrible things about a couple of the church daycares.
Billie Bettigrew

Sweet Springs, MO

#27 Oct 4, 2012
SAFETY issues? there are codes within the city limits of salem with child care facilities, and i assure you, they meet them. thanks for the feed back, but know the laws, rules and regulations before you comment on a place that has MY child in it. you want to bring attention cause YOU dont like the fence, well thats cool, but you should be focus on where your child plays after school. thank you to the staff at the learning center, and learning, you all are doing a great job!! much love from me and my daughter!!
scaredmomma

Salem, MO

#28 Oct 4, 2012
Billie Bettigrew wrote:
SAFETY issues? there are codes within the city limits of salem with child care facilities, and i assure you, they meet them. thanks for the feed back, but know the laws, rules and regulations before you comment on a place that has MY child in it. you want to bring attention cause YOU dont like the fence, well thats cool, but you should be focus on where your child plays after school. thank you to the staff at the learning center, and learning, you all are doing a great job!! much love from me and my daughter!!
Thank you for your opinion. My child isn't of school age yet so I don't have to worry where he's at. I'm sorry that you take it so personal that I think it's unsafe. I'm not trying to say it didn't pass inspection. Just because someone else thinks it's safe for my child or their children doesn't mean that I have to have the same opinion. I'm sure it's a wonderful place and maybe if they relocate before my child starts school I may consider them. Again I'm not trying to have a debate on why it is or isn't a good place to send your children. If you feel comfortable sending your child there then that's great. All I'm saying is I don't.
I know

United States

#29 Nov 15, 2012
You find another place that has doors you have to buzz to get in then.
parent of child

Berryville, AR

#30 Dec 29, 2012
Some of these comments show what kind of pathetic people get on here. I have been employed here over a year. And the owner and teacher has better tutoring ratings then sylvan. I also know they are remodeling. And no one not even parents can get in threw the front door without an employee hitting a button that no children can get to. Which is alot safer then schools that your children currently go to. This is a great facility.
scaredmomma

Salem, MO

#31 Dec 30, 2012
parent of child wrote:
Some of these comments show what kind of pathetic people get on here. I have been employed here over a year. And the owner and teacher has better tutoring ratings then sylvan. I also know they are remodeling. And no one not even parents can get in threw the front door without an employee hitting a button that no children can get to. Which is alot safer then schools that your children currently go to. This is a great facility.
Haha I guess if loving my child and caring about their well being makes me pathetic then that's exactly what I am. Where do I find proof of these tutor ratings? I'm fairly certain that the front of the building has glass, if recent events have taught us anything it's that if someone wants in they are getting in even if staff doesn't hit the button, glass is easily broken.
Salem Resident

Jefferson City, MO

#32 Jan 1, 2013
scaredmomma wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha I guess if loving my child and caring about their well being makes me pathetic then that's exactly what I am. Where do I find proof of these tutor ratings? I'm fairly certain that the front of the building has glass, if recent events have taught us anything it's that if someone wants in they are getting in even if staff doesn't hit the button, glass is easily broken.
You're right. You probably need to pack up and go live in a hole somewhere!
scaredmomma

Salem, MO

#33 Jan 2, 2013
Salem Resident wrote:
<quoted text>You're right. You probably need to pack up and go live in a hole somewhere!
And you probably shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.
Salem Resident

Columbia, MO

#34 Jan 2, 2013
scaredmomma wrote:
<quoted text>
And you probably shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.
OOps - too late - I already have two beautiful children that receive first-rate care!! However, the point I was making - which happened to be somewhat the same thing you were trying to say in your post: If someone wants to get in and do something to children at a daycare - they will not wait for a worker to hit the button. We have seen that happen many times - however; while you are bad mouthing a daycare worrying about their facility and location using the explaination of wanting the safest environment for your child,how about you also worry about the other HORRIBLE stories that are ALSO shown through the news media about CAREGIVERS (workers) themselves abusing the children at their facilities??? No one needs to "push a button" to let them in, but they can still harm your children - so please include that in your concerns next time you want to worry about a daycare facility. Bottom line is that unless you are a stay at home mom who can provide care for your child 100% of the time, there will always be the opportunity for something to happen.
scaredmomma

Salem, MO

#35 Jan 2, 2013
Salem Resident wrote:
<quoted text>OOps - too late - I already have two beautiful children that receive first-rate care!! However, the point I was making - which happened to be somewhat the same thing you were trying to say in your post: If someone wants to get in and do something to children at a daycare - they will not wait for a worker to hit the button. We have seen that happen many times - however; while you are bad mouthing a daycare worrying about their facility and location using the explaination of wanting the safest environment for your child,how about you also worry about the other HORRIBLE stories that are ALSO shown through the news media about CAREGIVERS (workers) themselves abusing the children at their facilities??? No one needs to "push a button" to let them in, but they can still harm your children - so please include that in your concerns next time you want to worry about a daycare facility. Bottom line is that unless you are a stay at home mom who can provide care for your child 100% of the time, there will always be the opportunity for something to happen.
I've never in my opinion bad mouthed this daycare facility. I have no firsthand information to say that they are a good or bad facility. Because my child has never gone there and I don't know the owner. I don't believe I've said anything negative about the place other than the building is to close to a main road with (in my opinion) an insufficient barrier from traffic. I never said that it wasn't safe because what about intruders. Someone posted saying that its the safest daycare because the staff have to push a button to let you in and that's when I said that if someone wants in they will find a way in. Also I or my spouse do care for our child 100 percent of the time. I'm done posting on this topic. I'm not even the person that started this thread. I just gave an opinion that I don't feel that a chain link fence a few feet from traffic is safe. If you send your kid there that's great. I just pray nothing happens. I couldn't live with myself if I had this worry in the back of my head and I sent my child there and GOD forbid something happened. That is why if I did need to send my child to daycare they wouldn't be going there. That's the only thing I have against the place.
get real

Salem, MO

#36 Jan 2, 2013
scaredmomma wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never in my opinion bad mouthed this daycare facility. I have no firsthand information to say that they are a good or bad facility. Because my child has never gone there and I don't know the owner. I don't believe I've said anything negative about the place other than the building is to close to a main road with (in my opinion) an insufficient barrier from traffic. I never said that it wasn't safe because what about intruders. Someone posted saying that its the safest daycare because the staff have to push a button to let you in and that's when I said that if someone wants in they will find a way in. Also I or my spouse do care for our child 100 percent of the time. I'm done posting on this topic. I'm not even the person that started this thread. I just gave an opinion that I don't feel that a chain link fence a few feet from traffic is safe. If you send your kid there that's great. I just pray nothing happens. I couldn't live with myself if I had this worry in the back of my head and I sent my child there and GOD forbid something happened. That is why if I did need to send my child to daycare they wouldn't be going there. That's the only thing I have against the place.
What are you going to do when your child goes to the lower elementary school? They also have a fence blocking traffic from their playground that could just as easily, if not easier, be crashed through by a absent minded driver if they were driving down one of the side streets. Risks are everywhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Queer Judge in Steelville 5 hr what's up today? 14
landlords 5 hr devils advocate. 2
Union Decline 6 hr PAR 4
Pants up dont loot 6 hr Seriously 23
Behind dollar general 8 hr bfg 24
What's up today 9 hr Possum 6
Topix Police 10 hr OOTA 30

Freeze Warning for Dent County was issued at October 31 at 8:54PM CDT

Salem Dating
Find my Match