First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jugglette
#21 Jun 2, 2012
im a recovering addict and it is a disease . its your choose to get help and get beeter yes but if you study drug addictons you will learn that it is a disease . you have to choose to get help and its hard to stay clean you have to change your hole life . i fight everyday to stay clean i go to self help meeting and to rehab and i have stayd clean for 2 years off herion and 2 months off pot . its just a mind over matter and how bad you want to be sober
Another Incendent

United States

#22 Jun 3, 2012
drug test law enforcement and end the cycle
Twisted

Salem, MO

#23 Jun 3, 2012
Well said Jugglette. And good job. I know how hard it is. In response to One who knows, please tell me this. Why did the doctors put me on heavy prescription drugs before I ever felt the need to be an addict. Why has it always been so hard for me to live without something? And why am I so easily addicted to anything? But I have to tell you whatever answer you give me I will think you'd full of crap. Because I've done my research too.
Twisted

Salem, MO

#24 Jun 3, 2012
Another Incendent wrote:
drug test law enforcement and end the cycle
Haha, ya. That might actually help!
Always Thinking

Jefferson City, MO

#25 Jun 3, 2012
Most additions are of habit, we are all addicts then, from the words we use to the everyday things we do and use. Psychology has to keep expanding and creating new issues, it is the addiction of the profession which many of them must then have. Psychology is based on a certain premise within society, Hitler has his own and was very good with it, it does not fit all people from around the world or all people even within a community. Some people need to wake up and stop drinking any and all kool-aid sent your way.
Twisted

Salem, MO

#26 Jun 3, 2012
Always Thinking wrote:
Most additions are of habit, we are all addicts then, from the words we use to the everyday things we do and use. Psychology has to keep expanding and creating new issues, it is the addiction of the profession which many of them must then have. Psychology is based on a certain premise within society, Hitler has his own and was very good with it, it does not fit all people from around the world or all people even within a community. Some people need to wake up and stop drinking any and all kool-aid sent your way.
So, what's your point? Who the hell cares if it's actually a disease or not? The consequences are the same either way.
One Who Knows

Warrensburg, MO

#27 Jun 3, 2012
to "Curiosity:" We have been talking about drug and alcohol addiction.
People fail to realize that the brain is an organ just like the liver, gallbladder, appendix and so on. Addiction is caused from over stimulation of certain chemicals in the brain that causes the receptor sites in the brain to burn out. When the body needs those chemicals released for use in the body, it can not be done due to the malfunctioning receptors. Lack of certain chemicals in the brain causes different types of psychoses.
Substance-induced psychotic disorder is a known side effect of the use, abuse, and withdrawal from certain drugs. So-called recreational drugs, such as hallucinogenics, PCP, amphetamines, cocaine, marijuana, and alcohol, may cause a psychotic reaction during use or withdrawal. Certain prescription medications such as steroids, anticonvulsants, chemotherapeutic agents, and antiparkinsonian medications may also induce psychotic symptoms. Toxic substances such as carbon monoxide have also been reported to cause substance-induced psychotic disorder.
"Curiosity," you would probably benefit from doing some research on the subject to understand the disease.
People who have addiction should get treatment for their disease, but sometimes, like with other diseases, denial is there.
I use to feel the same way you do, until I became a Paramedic/Nurse, and did copious amounts of research on the disease. I finally came to understand why, my mother wouldn't "just stop drinking if she really wanted to."
I read a story the other day where a man was high on bath salts and he ate the face off of another man, ripping his flesh like an animal, and growled at the officers when they came near him. Does that sound like a normal state of mind where they would think of others and realize they needed to get off the drug? No. It is the same way with other drug addicts. They aren't thinking straight. Then there are alcohol. This drug is widely accepted because it is legal, and people social drink everyday. Yet, those who become addicted, are not as condemned as the drug addict. Yet, they go through the same things. If an alcoholic who has drank daily for a long time goes off the drug, they can have alcohol withdrawal seizures from having a thiamine deficiency due to excessive drinking.
As for food as an addiction, it can be. It is introduced into the body and sometimes people with addictive behavior become addicted to food. It is in deed a fact that their are food addictions, just as "twisted" mentioned. You can go one way or the other.
Addiction is a problem that does affect not only the addict but their family too. Though it starts out voluntarily, it becomes a necessity to function. Intervention is needed for those on any type of drug.
Nicotine can be just as addictive. Yet, there are those who it doesn't effect the same way. Addictive behavior has been known to run in families as well as just individuals.
As far as "Choice" goes. Some people can quit. Others can not. It is like cancer. Some people get it, others do not. Therefore, because you can quit, does not mean everyone else can.
As far as the multiple addictions that "Curiosity" mentioned, they would fall under the category of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. You can have sexual addictions, though I believe a man going out on his wife is not an addiction. I think the sexual addiction would go more in depth than that. I could say more, but I feel I have said enough.
Addiction is a disease and is real. What brings it on, whether we cause it ourselves or it comes on from a major life event, was hereditary or what have you, it is real.
Treatment is needed, and many interventions have to be taken sometimes. We have to remember, if we are not part of the solution, we are part of the problem.
Trash talking does no good. It is futile. Help is what the addict needs.
jugglette
#28 Jun 3, 2012
One Who Knows wrote:
to "Curiosity:" We have been talking about drug and alcohol addiction.
People fail to realize that the brain is an organ just like the liver, gallbladder, appendix and so on. Addiction is caused from over stimulation of certain chemicals in the brain that causes the receptor sites in the brain to burn out. When the body needs those chemicals released for use in the body, it can not be done due to the malfunctioning receptors. Lack of certain chemicals in the brain causes different types of psychoses.
Substance-induced psychotic disorder is a known side effect of the use, abuse, and withdrawal from certain drugs. So-called recreational drugs, such as hallucinogenics, PCP, amphetamines, cocaine, marijuana, and alcohol, may cause a psychotic reaction during use or withdrawal. Certain prescription medications such as steroids, anticonvulsants, chemotherapeutic agents, and antiparkinsonian medications may also induce psychotic symptoms. Toxic substances such as carbon monoxide have also been reported to cause substance-induced psychotic disorder.
"Curiosity," you would probably benefit from doing some research on the subject to understand the disease.
People who have addiction should get treatment for their disease, but sometimes, like with other diseases, denial is there.
I use to feel the same way you do, until I became a Paramedic/Nurse, and did copious amounts of research on the disease. I finally came to understand why, my mother wouldn't "just stop drinking if she really wanted to."
I read a story the other day where a man was high on bath salts and he ate the face off of another man, ripping his flesh like an animal, and growled at the officers when they came near him. Does that sound like a normal state of mind where they would think of others and realize they needed to get off the drug? No. It is the same way with other drug addicts. They aren't thinking straight. Then there are alcohol. This drug is widely accepted because it is legal, and people social drink everyday. Yet, those who become addicted, are not as condemned as the drug addict. Yet, they go through the same things. If an alcoholic who has drank daily for a long time goes off the drug, they can have alcohol withdrawal seizures from having a thiamine deficiency due to excessive drinking.
As for food as an addiction, it can be. It is introduced into the body and sometimes people with addictive behavior become addicted to food. It is in deed a fact that their are food addictions, just as "twisted" mentioned. You can go one way or the other.
Addiction is a problem that does affect not only the addict but their family too. Though it starts out voluntarily, it becomes a necessity to function. Intervention is needed for those on any type of drug.
Nicotine can be just as addictive. Yet, there are those who it doesn't effect the same way. Addictive behavior has been known to run in families as well as just individuals.
As far as "Choice" goes. Some people can quit. Others can not. It is like cancer. Some people get it, others do not. Therefore, because you can quit, does not mean everyone else can.
As far as the multiple addictions that "Curiosity" mentioned, they would fall under the category of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. You can have sexual addictions, though I believe a man going out on his wife is not an addiction. I think the sexual addiction would go more in depth than that. I could say more, but I feel I have said enough.
Addiction is a disease and is real. What brings it on, whether we cause it ourselves or it comes on from a major life event, was hereditary or what have you, it is real.
Treatment is needed, and many interventions have to be taken sometimes. We have to remember, if we are not part of the solution, we are part of the problem.
Trash talking does no good. It is futile. Help is what the addict needs.
AMEN ......
One Who Knows

Warrensburg, MO

#29 Jun 3, 2012
I have posted to posts and they have been accepted then deleted. What gives?
One Who Knows

Warrensburg, MO

#30 Jun 3, 2012
OOPS! There is one!

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#31 Jun 5, 2012
&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player

If you go around all the time jacked up on goofballs this is what you have coming

Scary Stuff
Paul

Haslet, TX

#32 Jun 5, 2012
Are you going to post that damn link on every effin thread on here? You are addicted man
Mike

Haslet, TX

#33 Jun 5, 2012
Paul wrote:
Are you going to post that damn link on every effin thread on here? You are addicted man
Sorry, i just think it's funny and most of the stuff i read on this forum is either mean spirited, hatefull and disrespectful. I guess i went overboard
Paul

Haslet, TX

#34 Jun 5, 2012
Lol its all good, I did too
beenthere

Haslet, TX

#35 Jun 7, 2012
Addiction- choice vs disease

There is a u-tube video that will give u the best argumentable answer , whether it's a choice or disease it's over an hour long and I must say it' sure made me and everyone else who watched it with me believers that it is a disease.. Please I encourage u to watch it .. It is with dr. McCauley make sure it's the video that's over an hour long
Anti Georgia

Lohman, MO

#36 Jun 10, 2012
Georgia wrote:
I think "one who knows" has the best answer. I also think that having experience in ANY topic up for discussion should be a prerequisite. Just my opinion....
Georgia... you spoke as an "authority" on abortion. Have you had "experience"? You spoke as an "authority" on homosexual marriage. Have you been married to another woman? Shall I continue? I suppose you CAN speak on "people of a hypocritical nature."
Georgia

Haslet, TX

#37 Jun 10, 2012
Anti Georgia wrote:
<quoted text> Georgia... you spoke as an "authority" on abortion. Have you had "experience"? You spoke as an "authority" on homosexual marriage. Have you been married to another woman? Shall I continue? I suppose you CAN speak on "people of a hypocritical nature."
Wow, I have really gotten to you havn't I? Yes, I do have experience as I have had an abortion procedure done. No, I'm not in a lesbian marriage. I'm a heterosexual woman married to a heterosexual man. I did have a few "lesbian" experiences in college though... These things I did and many others that are morally wrong before I got saved. God got ahold of me and changed me. He forgave all those things as long as I didn't continue on in them. You may try to continue to justify your sin in the eyes of man, but God knows your heart....it doesn't matter at all what I think, it matters what HE thinks. Don't take it so personal. I don't judge you or any other gay person. I just think your behavior is a sin.
Anti Georgia

Lohman, MO

#38 Jun 10, 2012
I only "take it personal" in my fear for the people of this fine community. If we allow our society to become an oligarchy ran by the extreme religious right who are unwilling even to allow dissention on any subject matter, and who use terminology as you do, caiming to "know the will of God" and place conditions upon salvation... I take it as a threat to safety and the right for me to practice my religion, in this case Christianity. The average evangelical activist and the Muslim extremeist are similar in the unwillingness to accept differences of opinion. My question is how long can a "rhetoric of hate" be just that, rhetoric?

Now, you end your story of how "God got a-hold of me and forgave me" (I suppose he/she spoke to you and told you this in the first person) with the statement "I don't judge you... I think your behavior is a sin." Is not that judgement on your part? My fear is that you turn your feelings of absolute moral certainty into more than just hate-speech. When you take action, it becomes a "hate crime."

With that said, I have used several of your direct quotes in the homilies I have given these past few Sundays. I always enjoy when I get a chuckle out of the congregation... I will have to find a way to work that, "I don't judge you... but I THINK your behaviour is a sin" bit in. It should make my point rather well.
Georgia

Haslet, TX

#39 Jun 11, 2012
You don't need to fear me, fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. I'm just an average wife and mom. I'm not an extreme right religious person, that is so ridiculous. Keep talking your nonsense, it makes no difference to me. I don't believe ANYTHING you say.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Onama pays the media to lie!!! 8 min Rob 55
Salem is the Worst Town I've Seen 12 min Rob 6
Agent Crouch Back in Salem! (Jan '16) 1 hr Iknow 4
Bling 3 hr he moved out 9
Fire on 3rd Street 4 hr mrs Cooper 164
Angie Schafer 4 hr Truly 1
hubbs tire will not honor there tires 13 hr DKofsalem 22

Salem Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance