Is it just me or are there more skunks?

Posted in the Salem Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Stenchy

Haslet, TX

#1 Jul 25, 2012
It seems to me like the skunk population has exploded, anyone else notice this?
realmomma

Steelville, MO

#2 Jul 25, 2012
I think almost all animals have seen an explosion the past couple of years. Maybe it has something to do with our poor winters? Or maybe there are less hunters?
This just in

Lohman, MO

#3 Jul 26, 2012
It is "just you".
Um

Haslet, TX

#4 Jul 26, 2012
Stenchy wrote:
I sure hope the skunk population doesn't explode... That would be very messy.
Useless Knowledge

Salem, MO

#5 Jul 26, 2012
A skunks mating season is in full bloom in March. The inpregnated is with "skunkling" (Lol) for AROUND 60 days or so.... so June/July = makes sense.
Useless Knowledge

Salem, MO

#6 Jul 26, 2012
My apologies - before I get bombarded.... IMPREGNATED is the correct spelling. Thanks!
SOA

Hardin, MO

#7 Jul 26, 2012
I have seen quite a few myself this year... in the wild.. and even on this site..
cat woman
#8 Jul 26, 2012
i have a own family of thm around my house ive never seen so many befour so i agree wit you ...
fire

Steelville, MO

#9 Jul 27, 2012
Big explosion in the fox population too.
anon

Salem, MO

#10 Jul 27, 2012
yea this year alone I had to trap and release two raccoons getting in my trash, and one possum. I also had to shew a baby skunk from inside my garage. He didn't spray me thankfully. Also saw a fox for the first time in my yard. All this and I live in town lol.
CARL

Odessa, MO

#11 Jul 27, 2012
Stenchy wrote:
I think you just smell your upper lip! Try some scope or crest.
Really

Lohman, MO

#12 Jul 28, 2012
You are right, the SKANK population has expoloded. I have never seen quite so many SKANKS in one area. If you go to Wal-Mart it seems as if the aisles are full of them. We need some sort of SKANK-control officer.
Stenchy

United States

#13 Aug 2, 2012
realmomma wrote:
I think almost all animals have seen an explosion the past couple of years. Maybe it has something to do with our poor winters? Or maybe there are less hunters?
I don't think anyone really hunts skunks do they? I've shot three or four recently and have never been tempted to retrieve their bodies for food or fur.

I know some birds of prey hunt skunks, have their numbers gone down?
real ruby

Jefferson City, MO

#14 Aug 2, 2012
Stenchy wrote:
Yea, but it is an election year. What did you expect?
trapper

Salem, MO

#15 Aug 2, 2012
Skunk populations, like all animal populations, will steadily increase over time if they are not controlled by hunting or trapping. When an animal population swells to the point that it exceeds the available habitat, the animals are forced to move into areas where you don't normally find them. Finally, because there are so many animals interacting with each other, a disease will appear and will spread like wildfire through the population and kill off the majority of the animals, and usually leaves just a few for breeding purposes. Then, the cycle will repeat itself. Animals cannot be stockpiled. They die of natural causes, such as disease, starvation, depredation, or being run over by vehicles. Rabies and distemper are two common diseases that kill a lot of overpopulated animals. Some will die of mange when they lose so much fur that they freeze to death during cold spells in winter. Some will die of malnutrition when food supplies are insufficient to feed the expanded population. Hungry animals will come into town searching for something to eat once the natural food supplies in their habitat is exhausted. Nature, and natural selection, is not nice and is not gentle, in spite of how Disney portrays it. Hunting and trapping are two efficient ways to control animal populations.
Point taken

Lohman, MO

#16 Aug 2, 2012
trapper wrote:
Skunk populations, like all animal populations, will steadily increase over time if they are not controlled by hunting or trapping. When an animal population swells to the point that it exceeds the available habitat, the animals are forced to move into areas where you don't normally find them. Finally, because there are so many animals interacting with each other, a disease will appear and will spread like wildfire through the population and kill off the majority of the animals, and usually leaves just a few for breeding purposes. Then, the cycle will repeat itself. Animals cannot be stockpiled. They die of natural causes, such as disease, starvation, depredation, or being run over by vehicles. Rabies and distemper are two common diseases that kill a lot of overpopulated animals. Some will die of mange when they lose so much fur that they freeze to death during cold spells in winter. Some will die of malnutrition when food supplies are insufficient to feed the expanded population. Hungry animals will come into town searching for something to eat once the natural food supplies in their habitat is exhausted. Nature, and natural selection, is not nice and is not gentle, in spite of how Disney portrays it. Hunting and trapping are two efficient ways to control animal populations.
Yes, I think we have an over-population of humans here in Salem. When will you be "controlling" that population? I saw several today at Wal-Mart who seemed to be "coming to town" as their food supply had been exhasted. Will you be trapping them first, or just shooting them dead?
trapper

Salem, MO

#17 Aug 3, 2012
Point taken, I understand what you are saying. Let me respond in this way: Human population control is already being practiced by our government, which endorses and supports abortion. It also has in the past, and continues even to this day, to initiate and engage in various wars and skirmishes around the globe. These two combined factors have taken a huge toll on human life and has cut down on human overpopulation significantly. We are talking multiple millions, here. The government also allows the food and beverage producing giants to use various additives and chemicals in our food, which are toxic and are ruining peoples' health and ultimately leading people to incur diseases which lead to death. Furthermore, there is significant mortality occurring as a result of vehicular accidents and deaths due to drug overdoses. Need I go on? Perhaps you would think differently about this subject if you, your child, or your pet, were to be bitten by a rabid skunk.
another point

Lohman, MO

#18 Aug 3, 2012
Do you test each skunk for rabies before you murder it? It must give you a wonderful "god-like" power, choosing which one lives and which one dies.
trapper

Salem, MO

#19 Aug 3, 2012
KY3 News did a feature report of a family living in Springfield whose dog was bitten by a rabid skunk. Don't think it could happen here? Dream on. "Another point," do you "murder" spiders in your house? What about roaches? They are living things; do you let them have free reign in your cupboards? What about termites eating your house's foundation? What about the ants crawling over your counters? Do you swat flies when they attempt to land on your food? What about the rats that run at night in your neighborhood? How about the wasps wanting to build a nest on your porch? All these are living things. Do you let all of these beasties run rampant, without so much as attempting to control them in any way? Didn't think so. Hypocrite. A life is a life, whether it be a roach, a mouse, or a skunk. You can't have it both ways, selecting what you will control and those that you won't. A pest is a pest. It is your option to continue to live with the pests, and oh, by the way, when you have squirrels and bats in your attic, deer eating your flowers and ornamental shrubs, raccoons living in the crawl space under your house, and skunks infecting your cat with rabies, don't bother to call on an animal control person (murderer, as you call them)to take care of the problem for you. Just hug the furry little things, cuddle them and love on them. Ha.
unknown

United States

#20 Aug 3, 2012
You're wasting horse sense on a liberal

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Proof Trump is a racist 42 min what's up today? 35
Short little greg smith (smitty) 5 hr what's up today? 2
Alex Edwrds 7 hr Ugh 8
Justin Stites for Dent County Sheriff 8 hr Justin Stites 25
Sonic 8 hr Jean 13
Emily Hanning/Reeves 9 hr Taylortaytay 2
Is Nancy Wisdom agood lawyer 21 hr No HELL NO 4

Salem Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance