Four-day workweek considered

Four-day workweek considered

There are 40 comments on the NewsTimes.com story from Jul 15, 2008, titled Four-day workweek considered. In it, NewsTimes.com reports that:

Pangs at the gas pumps, coupled with Utah's move to put most of its state workers on a four-day week, are driving more Connecticut cities and towns to reconsider whether a similar schedule makes sense for them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTimes.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cosmo Kramer

Plattsburgh, NY

#21 Jul 15, 2008
The state can't go to a four day work week because they have been on a two day work week for years.
NoFourDays

Old Saybrook, CT

#22 Jul 15, 2008
Hey, I work for the City of Danbury...

Four days is a 20% increase in my current work week.

Do I get more money if I sign up for four days???
Walter

Morris, CT

#23 Jul 15, 2008
How about longer school days so that school can be reduced to five days. Look at all the fuel savings there could be.
OverpaidWhiners

Naugatuck, CT

#24 Jul 15, 2008
State/Federal Employee = over paid/under worked...Every last one of them, and don't try and tell us otherwise because you have no idea or have forgotten what real work is...... parasites.
OverpaidWhiners

Naugatuck, CT

#26 Jul 15, 2008
The censored word is para-sites
just a thought

United States

#27 Jul 16, 2008
Wonder if Gov't employees will be bringing their laptops home so they can get stolen with all our personal information.
Tired Teacher

Trumbull, CT

#28 Jul 16, 2008
I hope that if the "government employees" get a four day work week - the teachers will too. We get the short end of stick all around - 35 years to retire while everyone else gets out in 20 or 25. Their insurance is also much better than ours. Give all teachers the same insurance as the state workers, police and firemen.
Night Hawk

Arlington, VT

#29 Jul 16, 2008
Tired Teacher wrote:
I hope that if the "government employees" get a four day work week - the teachers will too. We get the short end of stick all around - 35 years to retire while everyone else gets out in 20 or 25. Their insurance is also much better than ours. Give all teachers the same insurance as the state workers, police and firemen.
Hello! You work from September to June.
Tired Teacher

Trumbull, CT

#30 Jul 16, 2008
That is so NOT true - most teachers are in many times over the summer "vacation" - how do you think we hire new teachers - clean and set up our classrooms - get CEUs - interview new teachers for the people who retired July 1???? Plus not a weekend goes by that I am not doing something extra - interims, phone calls to parents, report cards and the favorite of all teachers - READING and CORRECTING 100+ essays and papers! Everyone who complains about a teacher's schedule to teach for one week - you'd all be dead - oh yeah - don't forget that we have three college degrees and don't break $100 grand! We are "public" property!
Ireland

Danbury, CT

#36 Jul 16, 2008
Tired Teacher wrote:
That is so NOT true - most teachers are in many times over the summer "vacation" - how do you think we hire new teachers - clean and set up our classrooms - get CEUs - interview new teachers for the people who retired July 1???? Plus not a weekend goes by that I am not doing something extra - interims, phone calls to parents,
report cards and the favorite of all teachers - READING and CORRECTING 100+ essays and papers! Everyone who complains about a teacher's schedule to teach for one week - you'd all be dead - oh yeah - don't forget that we have three college degrees and don't break $100 grand! We are "public" property!
Get a grip. There are allot of us out there who have college degrees and don't break 100K a year. We work 40 to 50 hours a week at our jobs with maybe 2- 4 weeks of vacation off a year. We take work home during the week and on weekends too. So don't think that you are the only ones. We do not get a day off b/c of a little snow- or get an hour delay until the roads are clear. If we are late - we get docked our pay- if we take a day off b/c of the snow- we have to take from our 2-4 weeks of paid time off. And let's face it- you don't run into burning buildings- or have to deal with a car accident at 3AM on saturday night in 28 degress ice storm. so stop whining about how hard you have it- try walking in someone elses shoes for a while.
Government Milk

Spartanburg, SC

#37 Jul 16, 2008
Of course you can do all the weekly work in 4 days instead of 5 days. The Government fat has been there for years.
fopdan

Farmington, CT

#38 Jul 16, 2008
Tired Teacher wrote:
That is so NOT true - most teachers are in many times over the summer "vacation" - how do you think we hire new teachers - clean and set up our classrooms - get CEUs - interview new teachers for the people who retired July 1???? Plus not a weekend goes by that I am not doing something extra - interims, phone calls to parents, report cards and the favorite of all teachers - READING and CORRECTING 100+ essays and papers! Everyone who complains about a teacher's schedule to teach for one week - you'd all be dead - oh yeah - don't forget that we have three college degrees and don't break $100 grand! We are "public" property!
OK,, I'll explain why the teachers whine so much..
They are around KIDS all day,,so they act like them,, they are a product of their environment. If they worked with adults they would eventually start acting like adults not whining little kids.
Think about every post a teacher has ever made here,,, I want more,, I work to hard,, I did the best I could but your kid won't learn, etc.
They sound like a 12 year old..
Night Hawk

Arlington, VT

#40 Jul 16, 2008
Tired Teacher wrote:
Boo Hoo! Try a real job and see what it's like. You people [email protected] too much.
Shut the [email protected] up.
fopdan

Hartford, CT

#41 Jul 16, 2008
Night Hawk wrote:
<quoted text>
Boo Hoo! Try a real job and see what it's like. You people [email protected] too much.
Shut the [email protected] up.
Guess the teachers don't like your comments... Poor teachers,, get a real job..

“No More Blood For Oil”

Since: Jul 08

Earth

#42 Jul 17, 2008
ComeOn wrote:
<quoted text>
Teaching is another job that gets tons appling for every job. If its so hard, why do so many apply?
If it's so easy, why don't you get a teaching job?
Mags

Amsterdam, NY

#43 Jul 17, 2008
I think it's funny how the immigrants have a six day work week and the blacks have a zero day one.
Regina

Providence, RI

#45 Jul 17, 2008
Mags wrote:
I think it's funny how the immigrants have a six day work week and the blacks have a zero day one.
I know -I wish I could sit on the porch all day, geesh. And they take so damn long to cross the road.
100 PERCENT AMERICAN

Monroe, CT

#46 Oct 14, 2008
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
I know -I wish I could sit on the porch all day, geesh. And they take so damn long to cross the road.
Careful! Don't you know that only minorities are allowed to make rascist comments in today's world? Actually, are they the minorities anymore, since they multiply like rabbits?
Where is Oscar

Houston, TX

#47 Oct 15, 2008
100 PERCENT AMERICAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful! Don't you know that only minorities are allowed to make rascist comments in today's world? Actually, are they the minorities anymore, since they multiply like rabbits?
Who's "they", loser?
John Money

South Windsor, CT

#48 Aug 31, 2009
Cushy Town job wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone knows that you can't just "apply" for a municipal job! Where are you from? Your father, mother, aunt Mabel or uncle Joe has to already work for the town, silly.
What a bunch of crap. Everyone knows that "jobs" are a myth. Sure, money comes from SOMEwhere, but who among us has ever really SEEN a "job"? It's fairly tale piffle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Racism in Eastern Connecticut often hidden (Jan '07) Mar 18 Dr Pendyke 22
Looking for friend Ronald C. Stevenson (Mar '12) Nov '16 Stephanie 8
Colchester Music Thread Nov '16 Musikologist 1
News State child agency pulling wards from Durham sc... (May '07) Oct '16 Shawn burl 45
News Sunrise Resort In Moodus To Close (Aug '08) Aug '16 Boater1979 76
News Riz' Blog Review: How to Succeed in Business" a... (Oct '10) Mar '16 Ding92 2
lets get vote to tear down swing bridge (May '15) Mar '16 Spicegirl 3

Salem Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Salem Mortgages