Four-day workweek considered

Four-day workweek considered

There are 40 comments on the NewsTimes.com story from Jul 15, 2008, titled Four-day workweek considered. In it, NewsTimes.com reports that:

Pangs at the gas pumps, coupled with Utah's move to put most of its state workers on a four-day week, are driving more Connecticut cities and towns to reconsider whether a similar schedule makes sense for them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTimes.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cut Spending

New Milford, CT

#1 Jul 15, 2008
How about just firing 20 percent of the state workers, and have the rest actually work?
fopdan

Durham, CT

#2 Jul 15, 2008
Lets raise taxes ,, or buy some open land.. That will help..
Night Hawk

Arlington, VT

#3 Jul 15, 2008
Why does it have to develope into a 3 day weekend, why don't they pick slowest day of the week in terms of the people needing access to city hall and close that day.
Just Me

Pleasanton, CA

#4 Jul 15, 2008
Its more cost effective to be closed 3 days in a row rather than having to open a building and re-heat or cool it for one day.
George

Burlington, VT

#5 Jul 15, 2008
Any excuse not to work and rip off the taxpayers.
Moose

Stamford, CT

#6 Jul 15, 2008
I'm tired of you factless jealous big mouths are always slamming City/Town employees. Yes there are some lazy slackers as there are in every occupation or industry, but most municipal or Govt workers I know (family and friends) are hard working individuals who care about public service.
Thank God that there are people willing to put up with dealing day in and day out with you the public. You're unreasonable, feel entitled to your own way even if it violates policy or is not in the best interest of all, you're ignorant of the facts, you're pushy, you're snotty ... I could go on and on!!!
Then try dealing with Politicians as your boss every day. Most of you have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to work for these ego maniacs and the bullets Govt employees take every day for them and their personal agenda's.
Then throw in the night meetings, dealing with Boards and Commissions who never agree on anything, the lower pay Govt employees earn compared to private industry in addition to no stock options, no bonuses or matching 401k.
Municipal employees make your life easier every day by cleaning your streets, keeping you safe, managing your vital data, managing your parks/programs, running your schools and teaching your kids (try doing that for a day!), keeping your infrastructure up, etc.
The majority of the time you are getting your tax dollars worth, and if you think it's so easy, just shut up and apply for one of these municipal jobs you think is such a cake walk.
Archie

Bristol, CT

#7 Jul 15, 2008
George wrote:
Any excuse not to work and rip off the taxpayers.
That's what they're best at!
Cushy Town job

Bristol, CT

#8 Jul 15, 2008
Moose wrote:
I'm tired of you factless jealous big mouths are always slamming City/Town employees. Yes there are some lazy slackers as there are in every occupation or industry, but most municipal or Govt workers I know (family and friends) are hard working individuals who care about public service.
Thank God that there are people willing to put up with dealing day in and day out with you the public. You're unreasonable, feel entitled to your own way even if it violates policy or is not in the best interest of all, you're ignorant of the facts, you're pushy, you're snotty ... I could go on and on!!!
Then try dealing with Politicians as your boss every day. Most of you have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to work for these ego maniacs and the bullets Govt employees take every day for them and their personal agenda's.
Then throw in the night meetings, dealing with Boards and Commissions who never agree on anything, the lower pay Govt employees earn compared to private industry in addition to no stock options, no bonuses or matching 401k.
Municipal employees make your life easier every day by cleaning your streets, keeping you safe, managing your vital data, managing your parks/programs, running your schools and teaching your kids (try doing that for a day!), keeping your infrastructure up, etc.
The majority of the time you are getting your tax dollars worth, and if you think it's so easy, just shut up and apply for one of these municipal jobs you think is such a cake walk.
Everyone knows that you can't just "apply" for a municipal job! Where are you from? Your father, mother, aunt Mabel or uncle Joe has to already work for the town, silly.
schoolmarm

Middlefield, CT

#9 Jul 15, 2008
let us pass a law to close all schools in January and make up the time in August. Many schools open before Labor Day anyway. This will save a lot of heating oil.
pay it forward

New Canaan, CT

#10 Jul 15, 2008
Close the schools? If you figure it out, they're closed half the year already. With school breaks, days off, holidays, summers off, winter vacations, spring vacations, I'm surprised our kids learn anything at all - oh wait - NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND. That's right - we don't need to educate them.. they move on in ignorance. Put on swearters; turn down the thermostats....we do at home - why not in the workplace. Unions.
Joseph

United States

#11 Jul 15, 2008
we now do a 4 day work week at my residential construction company. it seems to be working out so far. it's 4 x 10 hr days for everyone; some people working mon-thurs, and others tues-fri. since our job sites are open 10 hrs per day, you get more bang for your buck because, proportionately, less time is spent opening and closing the job site. a few of the people with desk jobs do this too, but I think they're really only good mentally for 8 hrs. It remains to be seen if there are any drawbacks, but none so far. I'm not sure about what's going to happen in the winter months when we won't have 10 hrs of daylight.
Moose

Danbury, CT

#12 Jul 15, 2008
Cushy Town job wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone knows that you can't just "apply" for a municipal job! Where are you from? Your father, mother, aunt Mabel or uncle Joe has to already work for the town, silly.
Another baseless non factual BS line! Get an education and apply! In fact most large City jobs require a Civil Service test. The only appointed positions as you suggest are the ones the elected officials bring in, but your day to day worker in most City dept's applied, interviewed, and were selected via the same process most people are hired in other settings.
Night Hawk

Arlington, VT

#13 Jul 15, 2008
Just Me wrote:
Its more cost effective to be closed 3 days in a row rather than having to open a building and re-heat or cool it for one day.
Where did you ever get the idea that heat or AC is shut off on the weekends, or for that matter at the end of the day. It's not done.
Drain surgeon

Burlington, VT

#14 Jul 15, 2008
Joseph wrote:
we now do a 4 day work week at my residential construction company. it seems to be working out so far. it's 4 x 10 hr days for everyone; some people working mon-thurs, and others tues-fri. since our job sites are open 10 hrs per day, you get more bang for your buck because, proportionately, less time is spent opening and closing the job site. a few of the people with desk jobs do this too, but I think they're really only good mentally for 8 hrs. It remains to be seen if there are any drawbacks, but none so far. I'm not sure about what's going to happen in the winter months when we won't have 10 hrs of daylight.
Some employees at my shop are thinking the same way,traveling from Danbury to Greenwich,Larchmont,we lose alot of valuable time,sometimes 2+ hours a day of windshield time.
Thanks for the thought.
Unbelievable

United States

#15 Jul 15, 2008
If Connecticut is smart they will take on the 4 day work week. It definitely will save on the gasoline and help the environment and I think the workers will enjoy the 3 days off. Good Luck Connecticut
Tiredofitall

United States

#16 Jul 15, 2008
Unbelievable wrote:
If Connecticut is smart they will take on the 4 day work week. It definitely will save on the gasoline and help the environment and I think the workers will enjoy the 3 days off. Good Luck Connecticut
Yeah, so they can spend their "saved" gas to go shopping.....
another opportunity

AOL

#17 Jul 15, 2008
It's a smart idea for everyone.

I rarely visit town hall.
Maybe to get a stamp on a late tax bill to register a car or maybe for a town meeting.

It wouldn't make a difference.

Most stuff is online anyway.

I've worked both ways 5 day week and 4 on 3 off. The 4 on 3 off isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Also, would you then get vacation hours instead of days?

Because my 3 weeks is 120 hours = 12 days in the 10 hour world.
I lost 3 days of vacation.
Just something to think about.
state owned cars

Plainville, CT

#18 Jul 15, 2008
Every day, day in and day out-driving back and forth to Hartford doing 65mph to stretch my gas money, I am passed by one or two state cars doing 75mph. Our tax dollars at work. They should all have an 800 number on the bumper. Maybe driving 4 days a week will keep the gas bill down.
another opportunity

AOL

#19 Jul 15, 2008
I though people were complaining that state workers worked slowly?

$4/gal of gas vs.$20+/hr.
Let them drive 55. I rather pay for their hourly rate than gas.
Star Wars

New Haven, CT

#20 Jul 15, 2008
Tiredofitall wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, so they can spend their "saved" gas to go shopping.....
Maybe they won't go shopping. No cash. Crunch time is on the horizon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News State child agency pulling wards from Durham sc... (May '07) Nov 22 Tammy sheppard 55
News Racism in Eastern Connecticut often hidden (Jan '07) Nov 12 Paul Kersey 24
if yur car is repo'd call larry pittman jam rec... (Oct '10) Oct 25 John 17
News Bridgeport receives $125K grant to fight youth ... Oct '17 BPT 4
Colchester Music Thread (Nov '16) Sep '17 Musikologist 2
Looking for friend Ronald C. Stevenson (Mar '12) Nov '16 Stephanie 8
Open House Today 1-3 (Jun '14) Jun '14 Tammy Senkewitcz 1

Salem Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Salem Mortgages