Salamanca football
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Nosey Reader

Buffalo, NY

#1 Sep 19, 2009
Does anyone know who won the game tonight? How are the Warriors doing this year?

Since: Jul 09

United States

#2 Sep 20, 2009
31 - 9, We won.
Nosey Reader

North Tonawanda, NY

#3 Sep 20, 2009
That sounds pretty good, the Bills won too! Maybe it'll be a good year for both for a change.
road runner

Grand Island, NY

#4 Nov 18, 2009
Salamanca Football? There is no Salamanca Football! It has gone the way of everything else in Salamanca. It is nothing but a memory of what once was. Ahhhh but the little kids are the feeder system to Salamanca's once tough and proud program. Lets see - they have 25 member cheerleader squads, moms and dads have truck sized advertising with their kids name and number shown on their vehicle. When they make it to the playoffs and everybody makes it to the playoffs in our "touchy feely" society today, there are 60 signs along Central Ave. AND the signs get collected weeks later if they get collected before they end up in the road. Then half of these young people end up playing soccer or computer games and never put on a high school football uniform. After all as you progress in this game and life it takes more work, toughness and dedication. Qualities that don't abound today. Then the parents get involved when they don't think their child is being handled properly. I'm sure you will recall the Rich Morton incident or go back one further to Joe Sanfalippo. Sanfalippo gets bounced from here for something that was accepted as normal discipline by players and parents a few years earlier. What does he do but go on to Jamestown and take a soft program and makes it a powerhouse with state championship to its credit. Gee there is a trend here. I think Morton has one of those state championships too. Ahhh but I digress; ------- Back to the way things are done today. We can't dampend the spirts of young people today so we create playoff systems where just about every team somehow makes to to some level of the playoffs. Thats garbage. In the game of life there are clear winners and loosers. In the real world its not often that there is someone or some system out there to let you down easily. Mark my words; It won't be long before Salamanca won't have enough boys to even field a football team --- unless something changes.
Mr_Nice_Guy

United States

#5 Nov 18, 2009
Just a small point of fact: Morton's best result was 2nd in the state. Not a mean feat, by any stretch, but not an actual title.
road runner

United States

#6 Nov 18, 2009
Mr_Nice_Guy wrote:
Just a small point of fact: Morton's best result was 2nd in the state. Not a mean feat, by any stretch, but not an actual title.
Your right Mr_Nice_Guy. Runner-up was as close as he got in football. He did have a state championship wrestler two years running - I think.

Since: Nov 09

United States

#7 Nov 24, 2009
I'm a Salamanca Football alumni sitting here with three others and we all agree with Road Runner. Salamanca football is a joke, it's a slap to the face watching these kids put no heart or even effort into being a Warrior. They are a disgrace to all the former players that put on the uniform. Whitcher whooped our butts when we deserved it and look at us now; we own houses, have good jobs and handle ourselves like men. This generation of kids will need their parents to follow them around and yell at people who don't treat them like the princesses they are.
whatswrong

Buffalo, NY

#8 Nov 24, 2009
leazott wrote:
I'm a Salamanca Football alumni sitting here with three others and we all agree with Road Runner. Salamanca football is a joke, it's a slap to the face watching these kids put no heart or even effort into being a Warrior. They are a disgrace to all the former players that put on the uniform. Whitcher whooped our butts when we deserved it and look at us now; we own houses, have good jobs and handle ourselves like men. This generation of kids will need their parents to follow them around and yell at people who don't treat them like the princesses they are.
You are completely right! This generation of PARENTS are the worst! They have raised spoiled, useless, selfish kids who will never be able to stand on their own. Don't these parents know that they won't always be there and these kids will be on their own when they are gone? It just makes me sick to see how these young kids are turning out.
I know it isn't all of the kids and parents, and I hope it isn't the majority, but there are enough of them to really mess up a generation.
Mr_Nice_Guy

United States

#9 Nov 24, 2009
> Mark my words; It won't be long before Salamanca won't have enough boys to even field a football team

Bobby won't let that happen, because...

> Then the parents get involved when they don't think their child is being handled properly.

Mark _my_ words: as soon as Bob-o's next boy is big enough, he'll be shoved into the QB spot, whether he deserves it or not. Because that's what Bob wants._That's_ why Bob's on the school board: so he can see to it that his kids are the stars of the district.

The _real_ reason Morton hasn't been allowed to coach football is because of the Crandall / Chase QB controversy. The Chase dad was one of those notorious whiners who would not shut up about starting his kid. However, by the time Mike Crandall was a sophomore, Bob-o thought Mike should start every play, every game at QB. Morton's fatal mistake that season had nothing to do with the "Akron incident," and everything to do with the mistake of starting Casey Chase at QB instead of Mike Crandall. The Akron thing was just a pretext to get rid of Morton. If they actually had anything on him, he'd have been fired.

Anyone remember coach Wiedman from volleyball? Anyone notice a parallel between Wiedman and Morton?

Nope, Bob-o just wanted someone more pliant - someone with less back-bone; someone that Bob-o could control like a puppet - so Bob-o could be sure that his kid would be king of the grid-iron. Enter Jason Marsh. And we all know how well he's done, since taking over the team.

Bob will not let it happen that we don't have enough kids for football, even if it means changing the policy to require kids to play as part of some PE initiative. He _must_ have a team to showcase his kids.

Am I being ridiculous? For a time, our baseball team was on the skids, and we didn't field a team for a year or two; a lot of kids who would otherwise play baseball were playing lacrosse, instead. However, when Bob's kid was big enough to play, lo, there came a team. Don't kid yourself that it was just a coincidence.

Off-topic, but interesting page:

salamancawarriorsfootball.vnsports.com/histor...
Football Mom

United States

#10 Nov 24, 2009
leazott wrote:
Yeah I agree Salamanca football is now a joke but please give the kids the benefit of the doubt. It's not all them. My son played Varsity this year and gave 110% to the sport; so did a lot of the boys but it's not enough. There needs to great coaching and that's not what their getting. Jason Marsh is a nice guy but great football mind he is not. The play calling all year was very very basic. My son had better coaching when he was in midgets. So please keep in mind we also need to hold our coaches accountable. Whitcher may have whipped your butts but they don't have Whitcher.
Silly Sally

Utica, NY

#11 Nov 24, 2009
Mr. Nice Guy,

I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

Can you inform us unaware on the "Akron incident" ?

Did coach Wiedman lose the volleyball team after winning a state title and an undefeated season? That doesn't make sense.

I thought Bob's youngest son played soccer, not football. I know his daughter just graduated after playing softball (probably more) and his eldest is/was a football at St. John Fisher.

Thank you.
Mr_Nice_Guy

New York, NY

#12 Nov 25, 2009
> Can you inform us unaware on the "Akron incident" ?

Is this sincere? Mr. Morton was accused of "beating" his son after a game in Akron, and though the board spent over $10,000 to investigate it for almost six months - never notifying CPS in the process, as required, if they suspected physical abuse - they found nothing conclusive. Mr. Morton lost the football coaching job to Mr. Marsh, though the board unanimously voted to hire Mr. Morton as wrestling coach just after the football season ended.

Wiedman: From my understanding, she disciplined the girlfriend of Bob's son. The girl bailed on her team the day of a playoff (?) game - claiming to be sick - to be with Bob's kid, her boyfriend, at a football game. When she came back, the team said, in short, "get lost." Bob took personal issue with it - even though it wasn't his kid - and Wiedman left some time afterward. That's from memory, so I could have a detail out of place, or missing.

Didn't Bob's younger son QB the Sabers? I assumed he still played.
Silly Sally

Buffalo, NY

#13 Nov 25, 2009
wow i didn't know all that. good heavens.

so any coach that does the right thing and ignores crandall's orders gets the boot?
tru

Venus, PA

#14 Nov 25, 2009
Silly Sally wrote:
wow i didn't know all that. good heavens.
so any coach that does the right thing and ignores crandall's orders gets the boot?
That about sums it all up!
Varsity Warrior

United States

#15 Nov 25, 2009
leazott wrote:
Hey buddy, I played Salamanca football this year and I'd like you to play for Jason Marsh before calling us a disgrace and princesses you coward. I tried my absolute best each game along with some of my friends and all we get for play calling is 25/24 power, 25/24 Fullback block, lets see you win games with just these play calls? We ran one running back all year and teams would key on him so there was no offense at all. Defensively we were solid but couldn't handle playing defense for most of the game. Calling our generation spoiled and needing guidance is also very arrogant. Please think about people that are currently involved in the program and care about the sport. Obviously you have no compassion for others.

United States

#16 Nov 25, 2009
Hey Varsity Warrior I hate to burst your bubble but Mr Whitcher didn't have the biggest playbook either. His philosophy was "here is what we are going to do, try to stop us". It was up to the players to make the plays work no matter what the other team was keying on. You can only blame the coach so much, he calls the plays he cant go out there and run them for you. I saw Jason Marsh play and he knew how football was suppose to be played. Im guessing he knows how to coach it as well, but is handcuffed because if he goes off on a kid or punches him in the helmet the kid will tell his parents and they will threaten the school. Whitcher use to let you know when you did something wrong by smacking you upside the head and the parents would not care at all. Society is different today, ad it might not be the kids fault. The parents have to let the coaches coach and the kids play, and if a coach disciplines the kid the parents have to live with it. So let me ask this question to you kids that are playing now, If Mr. Marsh smacked you upside the helmet and started yelling at you would you tell your parents about it, and if you did what would your parents say or do.
Varsity Warrior

United States

#17 Nov 25, 2009
I'm well aware Whitcher ran the same stuff I'm not an idoit. Honestly I wouldn't care if a coach got in my face, I know they only want to make you a better ball player. You are calling out us players and you don't have a clue on how football is this generation. Ever consider other teams got better? We haven't been a perennial powerhouse since Coach Morton, we haven't earned a division championship under Marsh's years of coaching. We had an incredible amount of talent on the team this year and it wasn't utilized at all. "It was up to the players to make the plays work no matter what the other team was keying on." That is the biggest bull I've heard from anyone that claims they know something about football. We run 4 plays a game this isn't 1940. If you were under Coach Marsh you would see things differently, until then I hope you stop criticizing me and the other players. We tried our hearts out in every game and I know this for a fact.

United States

#18 Nov 25, 2009
Have you seen Randolph play, they run an option a offense from the 1940's and look where they are.Did any of the teams run a play that you knew was coming and it was successful? I watched a game between West Valley and Ellicotville this year, and Ellicotville knew who was getting the ball every time. And yet the running back from West Valley still had a huge game.And if you are going to say that is at the D level you might as not waste your breath because I am pretty sure a D school beat Salamanca this year. Maybee you did give a 100 percent during the games this year. But how many of the players on the team where putting the hours over the summer in. Its good to see you get angry on this topic, if you arent a senior what are you going to do to change it?
Silly Sally

Batavia, NY

#19 Nov 25, 2009
Randolph is playing for a state title, and they haven't passed a single time this season, my nephew tells me.
VarsityWarrior1

Salamanca, NY

#20 Dec 25, 2009
Honestly Leazott.. u should of played for this guy.. u would of then understood .. he showed no heart .. he acted during games... Practices were a complete joke.. we ran plays.. plays that we never used in the game cuz we ran 4 plays .. and sure Randolph might run the option .. but the option is more dynamic and it can be easily switched to different plays .. we ran a power .. a pitch off tackle .. Every damn play.. or at least close to it .. and when he didnt it was a horrible play call at that... he showed no disipline on the field. at practice or game .. which litterally made the team give him no respect .. i remember morton years.. and Kids were eager to play football... Under marsh .. only 5-6 kids were in the weight room ..HE SHOWED NO DISIPLINE. i hope he resigns as coach.. or whatever u wanna call what he did for the last few years.. because he made Salamanca Football the laughing stock of Section 6

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salamanca Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Salamanca Folks Who Made IT BIG (Dec '12) 2 min Who Cares 78
Church windows 44 min The Fact Checker 3
Barbara Redeye free 10 hr Judgeme... 15
Best things that used to be in Salamanca (Nov '12) 13 hr Fountain 379
Seneca Nation Not Paying NYS Again 13 hr Concerned Onlooker 21
What happened to the 6th Grade teacher? 18 hr Duh 8
Salamanca schools looking to totaly waste 27 mi... 21 hr Bob 1

Salamanca Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance