First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SICK AND TIRED

Salamanca, NY

#1 Feb 4, 2010
I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE PPA ON OUR NELE BILL. THIS IS A SHAM. THE ONLY REASON OUR PPA IS SO HIGH IS BECAUSE OF THE CASINO.
whatswrong here

United States

#2 Feb 4, 2010
I'm tired of it too. The PPA was more than the electric bill this time. Is this legal?
whatever

United States

#3 Feb 4, 2010
This also happened last February...as if lease payments and taxes aren't enough for that month!
hello

Buffalo, NY

#4 Feb 5, 2010
um... sorry know it sounds stupid but what is the ppa?
Bear

Lawtons, NY

#5 Feb 10, 2010
i CANT beleive how high my electric bill also "jumped up". What the hell is going on???
leena

Buffalo, NY

#6 Feb 10, 2010
Mine did too. Everyone I've talked to say's the same thing!!
this is why

Buffalo, NY

#7 Feb 23, 2010
The Casino has nothing to do with residents electric bills, They have their own electric substation right off National Grids Supply lines. The Casino Voltage is much higher than the rest of the city's voltage. That rumor has got to end sometime. OK that said, there are three real factors. 1) Salamanca like every other municipality that gets its juice from National Grid gets two forms of electric: Cheap Hydro to a point and after that expensive Nuclear generated power. When the City's electric demand out paces a certain threshold dictated by NG, we are charged the "adjusted" price. 2) When Electricity was cheaper, everyone thought that they would just rip out the Gas and heat with Electric. This was unfortunate because most of the homes and apartments that could least benefit from this were uninsulated and the heat can't keep up with the loss on those 15 degree and less days and nights. For this we all pay, if you are heating with gas and your neighbor just made an all electric change, you will pay for it too. It was all of these people who were well intentioned but miss-guided to the ramifications of their move to an all electric heat scheme. 3) Weather Conditions at the wrong time also play a big role. As you are most likely complaining about the Dec-Jan usage bill; keep in mind there were a few nights around zero at the time when we were too close to that threshold and thus the City's demand for electric to heat all these old houses dragged all of us over, even those who heat with gas, because the PPA is spread out to all of us based on our share of the electric our household demanded. So what can you do? If you rent a house or apt. you are at the whim of the landlord and can't do much. If you own your home its best to heat with a hybrid system of Wood and Electric or Gas and Electric. Also watch the temperature if you are someone who has to have a house at 85, then be prepared to pay for it, because the rest of us will be paying for it too. Also check with programs from Community Action to help replace windows and insulate those turn of the century houses. No one thinks of this stuff all summer long until these bills come in. The Good news is that people are starting to go back to a hybrid heating scheme which could bring the bills down in years to come if everyone does their part. We all pay it together and like getting a checkbook balanced only by working as a whole can we bring the bills to a more tolerable level. I know there will be those who will deny all of this and not change their situation one bit, and they will still be complaining next winter when the Nuclear rates rise again. Only through curbing our demand will we stay below that threshold I mentioned and stay in the cheap Hydro generated Power. No one else is responsible for this except the City as a whole. It can be controlled if everyone is willing to change their habits and what they put into their homes.
nope

Venus, PA

#8 Feb 24, 2010
No, actually WE ARE paying for the Casino AND the housing in Killbuck. tHIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SOME WHO WORK AT THE BPU. Ask around, people who live in Jimtown have no idea what the PPA is.....becAUSE THE do not pay it...we do!!!!!
this is why

Buffalo, NY

#9 Feb 24, 2010
With all due respect, I am sure you are wrong. Salamanca, starting in 2003, picked up Jimersontown. It was transferred over from NG to the City. You may not believe it but you can drive out to any of the homes there as far as Breed Run and see an Electric Meter that says "Salamanca BPU". Yes the city services Killbuck also out to Sullivan Hollow. I have Seneca friends who know all to well what the PPA is, as a lot of Jimersontown is electric heat. The entire service area of the City is no secret and we all get the same, nothing special bill.
nope

Venus, PA

#10 Feb 24, 2010
Nope. I am not wrong. I know all about it. We are paying for the Casino, the Killbuck housing, and Jimtown does not pay the PPA. I KNOW.
Go the the BPU and ask. They will tell you. No one should pay for others heat. It is not right.
bobcat

Fishers, NY

#11 Feb 27, 2010
Think you are right, nope. And so do lots of others. Rather odd that the jump in electric didn't take place til after the casino started operating. We are on Natonal grid and my electric was cheaper than my in-laws in Salamanca.

please dont be stupid

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#12 Mar 27, 2011
this is why wrote:
The Casino has nothing to do with residents electric bills, They have their own electric substation right off National Grids Supply lines. The Casino Voltage is much higher than the rest of the city's voltage. That rumor has got to end sometime. OK that said, there are three real factors. 1) Salamanca like every other municipality that gets its juice from National Grid gets two forms of electric: Cheap Hydro to a point and after that expensive Nuclear generated power. When the City's electric demand out paces a certain threshold dictated by NG, we are charged the "adjusted" price. 2) When Electricity was cheaper, everyone thought that they would just rip out the Gas and heat with Electric. This was unfortunate because most of the homes and apartments that could least benefit from this were uninsulated and the heat can't keep up with the loss on those 15 degree and less days and nights. For this we all pay, if you are heating with gas and your neighbor just made an all electric change, you will pay for it too. It was all of these people who were well intentioned but miss-guided to the ramifications of their move to an all electric heat scheme. 3) Weather Conditions at the wrong time also play a big role. As you are most likely complaining about the Dec-Jan usage bill; keep in mind there were a few nights around zero at the time when we were too close to that threshold and thus the City's demand for electric to heat all these old houses dragged all of us over, even those who heat with gas, because the PPA is spread out to all of us based on our share of the electric our household demanded. So what can you do? If you rent a house or apt. you are at the whim of the landlord and can't do much. If you own your home its best to heat with a hybrid system of Wood and Electric or Gas and Electric. Also watch the temperature if you are someone who has to have a house at 85, then be prepared to pay for it, because the rest of us will be paying for it too. Also check with programs from Community Action to help replace windows and insulate those turn of the century houses. No one thinks of this stuff all summer long until these bills come in. The Good news is that people are starting to go back to a hybrid heating scheme which could bring the bills down in years to come if everyone does their part. We all pay it together and like getting a checkbook balanced only by working as a whole can we bring the bills to a more tolerable level. I know there will be those who will deny all of this and not change their situation one bit, and they will still be complaining next winter when the Nuclear rates rise again. Only through curbing our demand will we stay below that threshold I mentioned and stay in the cheap Hydro generated Power. No one else is responsible for this except the City as a whole. It can be controlled if everyone is willing to change their habits and what they put into their homes.
Is the above post correct???
Come on now

Salamanca, NY

#13 Mar 28, 2011
That's exactly what I was told at the last bpu meeting. I was the only one to show up. I've been in contact w Call 4 action and they said they now know of another town with ppa that ends up paying less. They said to contact our senator and assemblyman, which I have done, and pressure them to get the agreement renegotiated as it is in effect till the middle of 202? something, not 2013. I'm sure the lady at 4 will call me again today as she only works Mondays between 11am-1pm which is when everyone should call. It appears this is only a sore subject for everyone for only a few days after the bill comes out though. We shall see.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#15 Mar 28, 2011
this is why wrote:
The Casino has nothing to do with residents electric bills, They have their own electric substation right off National Grids Supply lines. The Casino Voltage is much higher than the rest of the city's voltage. That rumor has got to end sometime. OK that said, there are three real factors. 1) Salamanca like every other municipality that gets its juice from National Grid gets two forms of electric: Cheap Hydro to a point and after that expensive Nuclear generated power. When the City's electric demand out paces a certain threshold dictated by NG, we are charged the "adjusted" price. 2) When Electricity was cheaper, everyone thought that they would just rip out the Gas and heat with Electric. This was unfortunate because most of the homes and apartments that could least benefit from this were uninsulated and the heat can't keep up with the loss on those 15 degree and less days and nights. For this we all pay, if you are heating with gas and your neighbor just made an all electric change, you will pay for it too. It was all of these people who were well intentioned but miss-guided to the ramifications of their move to an all electric heat scheme. 3) Weather Conditions at the wrong time also play a big role. As you are most likely complaining about the Dec-Jan usage bill; keep in mind there were a few nights around zero at the time when we were too close to that threshold and thus the City's demand for electric to heat all these old houses dragged all of us over, even those who heat with gas, because the PPA is spread out to all of us based on our share of the electric our household demanded. So what can you do? If you rent a house or apt. you are at the whim of the landlord and can't do much. If you own your home its best to heat with a hybrid system of Wood and Electric or Gas and Electric. Also watch the temperature if you are someone who has to have a house at 85, then be prepared to pay for it, because the rest of us will be paying for it too. Also check with programs from Community Action to help replace windows and insulate those turn of the century houses. No one thinks of this stuff all summer long until these bills come in. The Good news is that people are starting to go back to a hybrid heating scheme which could bring the bills down in years to come if everyone does their part. We all pay it together and like getting a checkbook balanced only by working as a whole can we bring the bills to a more tolerable level. I know there will be those who will deny all of this and not change their situation one bit, and they will still be complaining next winter when the Nuclear rates rise again. Only through curbing our demand will we stay below that threshold I mentioned and stay in the cheap Hydro generated Power. No one else is responsible for this except the City as a whole. It can be controlled if everyone is willing to change their habits and what they put into their homes.
A brillant summation that I know is 100% correct. Let's face it folks the days of cheap energy is GONE! The reasons for the increases are exactly as described in this post. For those who don't get it-better do some better research because it doesn't get any better than this........
ALL THE SAME

AOL

#16 Mar 28, 2011
to nope---i live in jimtown and i've been paying the ppa for over a year now so get your facts straight before you try to stir up trouble--grow up!

Since: Jun 10

Irving, NY

#17 Mar 28, 2011
nope wrote:
No, actually WE ARE paying for the Casino AND the housing in Killbuck. tHIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SOME WHO WORK AT THE BPU. Ask around, people who live in Jimtown have no idea what the PPA is.....becAUSE THE do not pay it...we do!!!!!
Yeah the BPU is a real credible source. I would trust somebody living in Olean who reviewed the data before I would believe them.

The municipal staff for the city of Salamanca are cranky because the ones who were not trimmed with the rest of the useless fat during the layoffs are also burdened with a second job. And that is full time finger-pointer and buck passer.

Take it easy on them, its got to be very stressful. Every department from the BPU to the Police to the freaking Library has a boogey man now.

Since: Jun 10

Irving, NY

#18 Mar 28, 2011
I suppose it is the Seneca Nation's fault that I have to dodge craters the size of riverbeds on almost every single road in town too.

please dont be stupid

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#19 Mar 28, 2011
Killgore Trout wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah the BPU is a real credible source. I would trust somebody living in Olean who reviewed the data before I would believe them.
The municipal staff for the city of Salamanca are cranky because the ones who were not trimmed with the rest of the useless fat during the layoffs are also burdened with a second job. And that is full time finger-pointer and buck passer.
Take it easy on them, its got to be very stressful. Every department from the BPU to the Police to the freaking Library has a boogey man now.
Its getting spooky K/T, I agree with you again!

The current staffing was the amount prior to

the casinos winfall. When the casino opened the current

administration felt the need to create more staffing which

has proven to be unnecessary. The need to add more police

officers to the force was not necessary as the SNI Marshals, NYSP

and CCSD were contracted to provide the security, not the SPD.

Pond stated that the SPD needed to be tripled to assist with

the needs of the city as the city would see a increase of people

he failed to realize that these people would be centered at a small

portion of the city. More fire protection? The SNI has the capacity

to add to its fire protection and would be closer if a emergency at

the casino was necessary. Really how many fires have occurred?

Why was the need for more staffing st city hall?

To collect the big bucks from the PPA taxes, or for the staff

to post on face book with their new state of the art

computers?

And the city wonders why it needs money??
Come on now

Salamanca, NY

#20 Mar 31, 2011
So what has happened to all the furor over the high electric bills? Is everyone fine paying it now and not trying to lower them? Or is the issue only raised once a month during the winter months when the bill comes in? I'm just wondering if the number of folks who have called or e-mailed Call 4 Action and who have contacted Cathy Young and Joe Giglio is proportionate to the number of folks that got on this site to complain about the bills.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#21 Mar 31, 2011
Come on now wrote:
So what has happened to all the furor over the high electric bills? Is everyone fine paying it now and not trying to lower them? Or is the issue only raised once a month during the winter months when the bill comes in? I'm just wondering if the number of folks who have called or e-mailed Call 4 Action and who have contacted Cathy Young and Joe Giglio is proportionate to the number of folks that got on this site to complain about the bills.
We all talk about energy consumption but what about energy conservation. If you have a window air conditioner check out the energy rating. The same goes for your refrigerator, washer, and dryer. Any refrigerator over 10 years old should go to be recycled and a new one installed-in just three years most studies show it has repaid for itself. Insulate your house more at least in the attic-most heat goes through the attic. Insulate your water pipes and put a insulation blanket on your electric hot water heater. Wear a sweater in the house and lower the thermostat to 68 or so-takes electric to run the furnace for the fan etc. Go to energy efficient lighting. By 2014 Congress to my knowledge has mandated no more light bulbs that use a filament that heats and produces both light and heat. For the last few years the IRS has given liberal allowances to reduce your taxes by going energy efficient. By using just those simple steps I reduced my energy consumption by over 40% in one year costing very little to achieve. hey this is no different than moving to an energy efficient car-we do have choices and the electricity we save will reduce the scarce natural resources to produce that electricity like Natural Gas and coal fired electric generating plants.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salamanca Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Colter Oldshield's boyfriend 1 hr out of the santa ... 1
Election SNI 2016 2 hr Native 29
Town family drug dealers 5 hr The Town Jokes 23
Murphy 6 hr Absolutely 2
Ronnie Szafranski 12 hr Kristen 3
Seneca Junction 13 hr Ed m 2
get rid of the black on the spd he's asking for... Tue Duh 6

Salamanca Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Salamanca Mortgages