Olean General Hospital
Cave Man

Rochester, NY

#1 Jan 24, 2013
A Western New York hospital in as many weeks is notifying patients they may have been exposed to hepatitis and HIV through re-used insulin pens.

Olean General Hospital announced Thursday it has sent letters out to 1,915 current and former patients who received insulin at the hospital between November 2009 and Jan. 16, 2013.

The notification followed an internal review of hospital insulin pen use, when nurses indicated there was a chance the reusable pens may have been used on more than one patient. The review took place the day after media reports that the VA WNY Healthcare System had potentially exposed 716 patients to infection between October 2010 and November of 2012 by not labeling its pens.

At Olean, hospital executives stressed that there are no records that the pens — which are intended for reuse on one specific patient — were actually reused on others. But nurses indicated it was a possibility.

“Nurses indicated it may have occurred, but couldn’t be specific at all. We decided to exercise an abundance of caution,” said Timothy Finan, hospital CEO and president and CEO at Upper Allegheny Health System, the parent organization.
creep

Salamanca, NY

#2 Jan 25, 2013
Wow that's. Crazy
Patient

Burr Hill, VA

#3 Jan 25, 2013
Wow! That is soooo scary!!!
abc

United States

#4 Jan 25, 2013
That is how zombies r made!
youdohaveasadcit y

Salamanca, NY

#5 Jan 31, 2013
My God they tell you you will get aids for sharing needles than hospitals do it?what is wrong with this world?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salamanca Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sink Holes are Getting Repaired 16 hr Thats right 8
Roadside Cafe Tue Please 9
Cloud & Co. is a joke Mon No problems 13
1590 wggo Apr 23 hank 8
Parkview Apr 23 Thats right 7
john kane Apr 22 Concerned Onlooker 8
trump hates everybody Apr 22 Concerned Onlooker 76

Salamanca Jobs

Personal Finance

Salamanca Mortgages