Droid

Danville, WV

#83 Jul 23, 2012
Here's a site with the links that were recently mentioned in the paper: https://sites.google.com/site/upperfalls/
UpperFalls

Charleston, WV

#84 Oct 4, 2012
Since we're now the largest unincorporated community in West Virginia, we're finally getting respect. The electric power is a lot more reliable than it was. The railroad crossing is the best anywhere. The cable company is studying the economic feasibility of upgrading their network. All anyone has to do is claim that respect. Use Upper Falls on all your mail. Use Upper Falls on your utility bills, bank and investment accounts, drivers license and passport. Then see how much more respect you get from the people you deal with. Your new level of respect is there for the taking. All you have to do is take it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
yeah

Danville, WV

#85 Nov 6, 2012
Concerned wrote:
I live in the Big Bend subdivision and have for the past 12 years. Can someone tell me how all this got started. Nobody has ever approached me or any of my neighbors that live out here about any changes or our thoughts. Is there a citizen action group, do they have meetings? We would like to know.
Who knew you had to be consulted? Why is your approval required before anything is done? You must be one of those "officials" with the Tornado Volunteer Fire Department who thinks he owns the place. Who elected you Grand Poobah of anything? You'd be better off to tend to your own business, before the Tornado Volunteer Fire Department disappears because of its incompetent management.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
tiger nation 2

Saint Albans, WV

#86 Nov 6, 2012
ack wrote:
Upper Falls was NEVER without power.

85% of West Virginians had no power for days!

Yeah, it all happened by magic.

The agitators who love the name tornado so much were without power for more than a week. Serves them right. Maybe they'll sign another "Save Tornado" petition. These are the same people who are responsible for the fire department not having the water plant. So, they don't have power when it storms. They should be so proud of themselves!
I live in saint albans and i never lost power.
Jeff

Danville, WV

#87 Nov 6, 2012
tiger nation 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in saint albans and i never lost power.
Welcome to the 15% who didn't! You were indeed fortunate! I hope you're as grateful as I am. Some people really suffered.
questions

Bellevue, WA

#88 Nov 6, 2012
does it really matter what a towns name is? the people and everything else r the same who cares what they call it? and 25177 is the zip for saint albans its not the upper falls zip u all dont even have yur own zip lmao i live n a town 1/4 mile long and even we have a zip!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
questions

Bellevue, WA

#89 Nov 6, 2012
UpperFalls wrote:
Since we're now the largest unincorporated community in West Virginia, we're finally getting respect. The electric power is a lot more reliable than it was. The railroad crossing is the best anywhere. The cable company is studying the economic feasibility of upgrading their network. All anyone has to do is claim that respect. Use Upper Falls on all your mail. Use Upper Falls on your utility bills, bank and investment accounts, drivers license and passport. Then see how much more respect you get from the people you deal with. Your new level of respect is there for the taking. All you have to do is take it.
correction upper falls is no where near the largest in wv sorry. perhaps u were exagerating? cross lanes is by far bigger. once again whats the big deal anyway? no one but yall cares what they call it

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
tiger nation 2

Saint Albans, WV

#90 Nov 6, 2012
My sister lives on sexton rd off ferrell and she considers herself st albans. She didnt loose power either. I really dont care whether they call it tornado or upper falls, but people need to realize that all these towns and cities have the same problems. Schools are overcrowded and under staffed, there is crime and drugs everywhere and a name is not going to change that! Look at teays valley and hurricane. My husband and i moved to st. Albans 8yrs ago to get out of charleston because it was terrible, there have been 6 meth labs within 2 miles of my house in the past 2years. My sister and her family moved here 2 years ago from charleston because of killings. A name doesnt mean anything when it comes to this stuff! Until parents start raising their kids and we all do our part as a community and take a stand its not going to change! Instead of degrading eachother, we need to help eachother.
questions

Bellevue, WA

#91 Nov 7, 2012
theres never any trouble where we live. i moved to bancroft 2 years ago from saint albans and i love it. hometown elementary isnt overcrowded nor understaffed the towns full of loving familys and awsome grandparents. we all ride around on golf carts and 4wheelers and hang out at the community park. in 2 years ive seen the law here only 2x.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Correction

Madison, WV

#92 Nov 11, 2012
questions wrote:
<quoted text> correction upper falls is no where near the largest in wv sorry. perhaps u were exagerating? cross lanes is by far bigger. once again whats the big deal anyway? no one but yall cares what they call it
You should get your facts straight. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/guidestloc/st54...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
local

Madison, WV

#93 Nov 11, 2012
questions wrote:
does it really matter what a towns name is? the people and everything else r the same who cares what they call it? and 25177 is the zip for saint albans its not the upper falls zip u all dont even have yur own zip lmao i live n a town 1/4 mile long and even we have a zip!
ZIP Codes are completely irrelevant, not just here, but everywhere. http://hypl.org/

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
questions

Bellevue, WA

#94 Nov 11, 2012
then please refrain from saying to put upper falls 25177 on your mail, as it is not the correct combination of info :) furthermore a census lets you know the population of the area not the size of the town, and most people don't even fill the census out :)(i know several people who did not). So you are a rather small little backwoods town with houses cramed together like sardines. you have a tightly packed community how happy i am for you :) so you are a town without a zip just as i said and your not the largest town just the most densely populated:) get your facts str8! have a happy holiday!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
local

Madison, WV

#95 Nov 11, 2012
tiger nation 2 wrote:
My sister lives on sexton rd off ferrell and she considers herself st albans. She didnt loose power either. I really dont care whether they call it tornado or upper falls, but people need to realize that all these towns and cities have the same problems. Schools are overcrowded and under staffed, there is crime and drugs everywhere and a name is not going to change that! Look at teays valley and hurricane. My husband and i moved to st. Albans 8yrs ago to get out of charleston because it was terrible, there have been 6 meth labs within 2 miles of my house in the past 2years. My sister and her family moved here 2 years ago from charleston because of killings. A name doesnt mean anything when it comes to this stuff! Until parents start raising their kids and we all do our part as a community and take a stand its not going to change! Instead of degrading eachother, we need to help eachother.
Sexton Road is in Upper Falls. The mail route is Saint Albans. It's important to remember that an unincorporated area can have several names, all legally binding! You're right about the values parents instill having a life-long effect. You're also right about everybody working together being the key to building quality communities. You're wrong about the name of a place not having an influence. People who view themselves as being from Upper Falls comport themselves in much different ways from those who see themselves as being from Tornado! Besides, in the case of a community, size does matter! Obviously, you've never run for public office. "Size matters!" The key to creating quality of life is proper management. Unfortunately, West Virginians usually let corrupt people run things. Even in a macroeconomic environment of decline like West Virginia, residents can still improve the microeconomic environment in a community like Upper Falls and be ahead of surrounding areas that don't improve. If you're citing Hurricane as an example of a place with a silly name that's still economically vibrant, Hurricane has an Interstate and a vast amount of flat land. If the Upper Falls Post Office hadn't been to renamed to Tornado during Reconstruction, we'd have Corridor G. It was originally planned to go through here, in the vicinity of Ferrell Road. There's an example of how a name and population mass can change an outcome. Today, we'd likely have had Corridor G built here.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
local

Madison, WV

#96 Nov 11, 2012
questions wrote:
then please refrain from saying to put upper falls 25177 on your mail, as it is not the correct combination of info :) furthermore a census lets you know the population of the area not the size of the town, and most people don't even fill the census out :)(i know several people who did not). So you are a rather small little backwoods town with houses cramed together like sardines. you have a tightly packed community how happy i am for you :) so you are a town without a zip just as i said and your not the largest town just the most densely populated:) get your facts str8! have a happy holiday!
No one has ever said people in the 25177 ZIP Code delivery area should use the name Upper Falls on their mail. That would be in error. You're wrong about the definition of a CDP. Census Designated Places have clearly defined boundaries, just like incorporated places. Their area is precisely calculated, for both land and water. Upper Falls is the largest unincorporated community in West Virginia, but by no means the most densely populated, even in Kanawha County. ZIP Codes are the legacy of an obsolete, bankrupt organization and are utterly irrelevant. Too bad that you couldn't even read a simple page that was spoon fed to you.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
tiger nation 2

Hurricane, WV

#97 Nov 11, 2012
local wrote:
<quoted text>Sexton Road is in Upper Falls. The mail route is Saint Albans. It's important to remember that an unincorporated area can have several names, all legally binding! You're right about the values parents instill having a life-long effect. You're also right about everybody working together being the key to building quality communities. You're wrong about the name of a place not having an influence. People who view themselves as being from Upper Falls comport themselves in much different ways from those who see themselves as being from Tornado! Besides, in the case of a community, size does matter! Obviously, you've never run for public office. "Size matters!" The key to creating quality of life is proper management. Unfortunately, West Virginians usually let corrupt people run things. Even in a macroeconomic environment of decline like West Virginia, residents can still improve the microeconomic environment in a community like Upper Falls and be ahead of surrounding areas that don't improve. If you're citing Hurricane as an example of a place with a silly name that's still economically vibrant, Hurricane has an Interstate and a vast amount of flat land. If the Upper Falls Post Office hadn't been to renamed to Tornado during Reconstruction, we'd have Corridor G. It was originally planned to go through here, in the vicinity of Ferrell Road. There's an example of how a name and population mass can change an outcome. Today, we'd likely have had Corridor G built here.
I never said hurricane had a "silly name". I said that at one point hurricane was the "new corridor g" and had the potential to be great. Unfortunately when you take a small under developed town or community, and pump it full of stores and interstates and add sub divisions you end up with charleston. And that i am correct on. Once hurricane became "developed", everyone ran there to get away from the "drama" and bad influences, causing it to become what it is now. I moved from pittsburgh to charleston and when charleston started to become a "bad environment" for my family and children, we moved to saint albans. Less populated, quaint, quiet country like town. What a joke that has turned out to be!! I work in hurricane its just as bad. My point was population and business while bringing good for a community can also be the very downfall of said community, it doesnt matter what the name is. I grew up in a very affluent neighborhood and the only reason no one heard what was going on is because money can buy alot of silence. Names dont matter!! Google chippewa pennsylvania then google beaver falls. One will show all the great things people want, the other.... Not show much. Both are equally as bad.
coldrun

Bellevue, WA

#98 Nov 11, 2012
correction, someone earlier in this post did say to use 25177 as your zip for upper falls/tornado/no1 cares. the size yall have now is as big as youll get. corridor g belongs to s charleston and its goin to stay that way. the name of a town doesnt make the town, the people do. from what i have read here the community of whatever yall wanna call it is full of a bunch of petty, naggy, snobby, childish bunch of so called adults who are on a bash site arguing with keyboards. yalls town has problems drugs sex offenders fights people drownin in the upper falls (lmao ironic) hey perhaps we shall make a sayin "upper falls, the town thatll drown ya!" . bottom line if you wanna live in a nice quiet community stop having the law out there every night/day, clean up the trashy homes down ther, get rid of the drugs, and chase the sex offenders outa town. i also agree with a earlier post yall have the same problems now as you did then, nothins changed but the name. as for jokes believe me when i say their already crackin ones about upper falls, and the people on here runnin their chops like their n grade school are just adding fuel to the fire! keep it up! nagnagnag

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
what

Hewett, WV

#99 Nov 13, 2012
tiger nation 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Google chippewa pennsylvania then google beaver falls. One will show all the great things people want, the other.... Not [so] much.
But the name of a place doesn't matter? You just contradicted yourself!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
what

Hewett, WV

#100 Nov 13, 2012
coldrun wrote:
correction, someone earlier in this post did say to use 25177 as your zip for upper falls/tornado/no1 cares. the size yall have now is as big as youll get. corridor g belongs to s charleston and its goin to stay that way. the name of a town doesnt make the town, the people do. from what i have read here the community of whatever yall wanna call it is full of a bunch of petty, naggy, snobby, childish bunch of so called adults who are on a bash site arguing with keyboards. yalls town has problems drugs sex offenders fights people drownin in the upper falls (lmao ironic) hey perhaps we shall make a sayin "upper falls, the town thatll drown ya!" . bottom line if you wanna live in a nice quiet community stop having the law out there every night/day, clean up the trashy homes down ther, get rid of the drugs, and chase the sex offenders outa town. i also agree with a earlier post yall have the same problems now as you did then, nothins changed but the name. as for jokes believe me when i say their already crackin ones about upper falls, and the people on here runnin their chops like their n grade school are just adding fuel to the fire! keep it up! nagnagnag
Someone earlier in this post pointed out that Upper Falls includes ZIP Code delivery areas 25177 and 25202. Nobody said that people should use Upper Falls with ZIP Code 25177. Sorry you failed reading in elementary school.

Upper Falls is already the largest CDP in the state. Why would we need or want to become larger? Perhaps you meant more populous. Again, sorry you failed reading.

If you think anyone was proposing that a major highway be moved, once more, sorry you failed reading.

If you think a loss of life due to drowning is funny, then I feel sorry for you.

The name only changed last year. It normally takes years to make improvements, although we've made substantial ones in a short period of time. We would already be much further ahead if some people hadn't signed a "Save Tornado" petition. They don't realize how much that set back improving the quality of life in their own community, and for what?

As for any jokes, I always enjoy a good one. Why not share? Based on your previous posts though, please have someone correct your grammar and spelling, so everyone can enjoy.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Please

Hewett, WV

#101 Nov 13, 2012
tiger nation 2 wrote:
Focusing on the name is just profoundly myopic. The name was changed to achieve the objective of creating a larger population mass. Too many people objected to the name Tornado.

You're absolutely wrong about the structure of a community not determining its outcome! The largest community in the entire state has an enormous advantage in getting government funding from every level! That is, of course, until something like a "Save Tornado" petition happens and devastates our credibility.

The key to creating a sustainable community that's relatively free of crime is to provide an outstanding quality of life. None of the places you cited have that, which is why they have the problems you complained about. Quality of life means everything! It's just not that hard to create! It just takes knowing how.

Stop focusing on the name. That was just a means to an end. We do, indeed, need to stand as a community. If we would do that, all our lives would improve.

Most importantly, we need to leave behind those who don't want a better life for everyone and stop letting them create divisiveness.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
tiger nation 2

Heath, OH

#102 Nov 13, 2012
Please wrote:
<quoted text>Focusing on the name is just profoundly myopic. The name was changed to achieve the objective of creating a larger population mass. Too many people objected to the name Tornado.

You're absolutely wrong about the structure of a community not determining its outcome! The largest community in the entire state has an enormous advantage in getting government funding from every level! That is, of course, until something like a "Save Tornado" petition happens and devastates our credibility.

The key to creating a sustainable community that's relatively free of crime is to provide an outstanding quality of life. None of the places you cited have that, which is why they have the problems you complained about. Quality of life means everything! It's just not that hard to create! It just takes knowing how.

Stop focusing on the name. That was just a means to an end. We do, indeed, need to stand as a community. If we would do that, all our lives would improve.

Most importantly, we need to leave behind those who don't want a better life for everyone and stop letting them create divisiveness.
You are correct, the bigger the the community the greater the rewards governmental funding an all. But once again the name does not matter! And with growing population comes the unwanted. I.e. drugs, crime and other undesirable things. That is my point. You cannot tell me that the name of a town determines wether or not these things exist because in all actuality it does not. I do not live in tornado but do reside nearby and it wouldnt matter if the name was upper falls or tornado, it would still be subject to the same problems that every other community has. And on that i am correct! There is not a community anywhere in this country that is crime free.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saint Albans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Upcoming Boys Basketball Season 48 min Fan 1
Showcats teacher 1 hr Wildcats rule 3
Jennifer Robinette 3 hr robin 10
tina (Jan '13) 6 hr Jeffro 8
Mike White (May '13) Sun fed up with trash 29
Cops in the area (Jan '11) Nov 21 northern 49
derek nutter (Jul '12) Nov 20 Bye Felicia 61
Saint Albans Dating
Find my Match

Saint Albans People Search