'Spirit at work' in the Sonoran Desert

'Spirit at work' in the Sonoran Desert

There are 215 comments on the SantaFeNewMexican.com story from Feb 15, 2009, titled 'Spirit at work' in the Sonoran Desert. In it, SantaFeNewMexican.com reports that:

Photo: Shura Wallin is spending her retirement years working with Green Valley Samaritans, a group that searches for and helps distressed migrants in the southern Arizona desert.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SantaFeNewMexican.com.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Senior Citizen Is Wrong

Mesa, AZ

#1 Feb 15, 2009
They're not migrants, but illegal alien border jumpers. Wallin and the Green Valley Samaritans must be against this country? Aiding and abetting is how I see it. If you turned the illegals over the L.E. that would be the American thing to do.
Paleface

Rio Rancho, NM

#2 Feb 15, 2009
Bless your heart. Thanks for the shining example of Christ-like behaviour in a world gone crazy. (See above, and surely to follow, comments.)
Bless Your Pea Brain

Mesa, AZ

#3 Feb 15, 2009
Paleface wrote:
Bless your heart. Thanks for the shining example of Christ-like behaviour in a world gone crazy.(See above, and surely to follow, comments.)
This use of Christ-like behavior is total B.S. How about "Thou Shalt Not Steal?" Because that's exactly what they do! If you love the illegals so much, adopt a few hundred all for yourself!
Bill Mitchell

United States

#4 Feb 15, 2009
someone should show her the way to the jail where the get to wear pink underwear, and live in a tent
Ms Ann Thrope

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Feb 15, 2009
It's good to see someone doing something compassionate, especially in the face of the kind of xenophobia and selfishness that tries to pass itself off as Christian or patriotic. One party inspires me, while the other makes me cringe; one makes me feel generous, the other makes me want to give them a wide berth. Humanity is made of both, probably needs both.
Bless Your Pea Brain

Mesa, AZ

#6 Feb 15, 2009
Ms Ann Thrope wrote:
It's good to see someone doing something compassionate, especially in the face of the kind of xenophobia and selfishness that tries to pass itself off as Christian or patriotic. One party inspires me, while the other makes me cringe; one makes me feel generous, the other makes me want to give them a wide berth. Humanity is made of both, probably needs both.
The only thing that must happen is detect, detain and deport, not offering water on the desert!
Bonnie

United States

#7 Feb 15, 2009
Paleface wrote:
Bless your heart. Thanks for the shining example of Christ-like behaviour in a world gone crazy.(See above, and surely to follow, comments.)
Wanting our laws obeyed is hardly going crazy. You are part of the problem.
Doinky

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Feb 15, 2009
Offering water is the humane thing to do.

Death in the desert isn't a deterrent, nor is the fence, nor is the border patrol, nor is catch and detain nor catch and release.

It's disgusting that we would just let people die out there.
Another One

Mesa, AZ

#9 Feb 15, 2009
Doinky wrote:
Death in the desert isn't a deterrent, nor is the fence, nor is the border patrol, nor is catch and detain nor catch and release.
I have a better idea for you. You go to MX and tell their government what to do to keep its' people there instead. I wouldn't doubt it that La Raza is your "leader" too!
Bonnie

United States

#10 Feb 15, 2009
Doinky wrote:
They are doing that to themselves. Don't put it on Americans. People die crossing the street to. You should way the risks first.
Bonnie

United States

#11 Feb 15, 2009
Doinky wrote:
Hmmmm... Nothing is a deterrent..Got it... Just throw our hands in the air and say. Here take it, it's your's.
The Law

Mesa, AZ

#13 Feb 15, 2009
Doinky wrote:
Haven't taken your meds today, right?
Eideard

Santa Fe, NM

#14 Feb 15, 2009
How old do your neighbor's kids have to be before they're potty-trained?
Bonnie

United States

#15 Feb 15, 2009
Analphabet Bonnie wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you mean weigh?....LOL
Morning rick. You are sharp. Can't get nothing past you. Ya hugged any illegals this morning?
Puebloman

Taos, NM

#16 Feb 15, 2009
In the not so distant future, the Mexican government will implode because of its corruption and incompetence. We will see a flood of illegal immigrants into the USA that will be biblical in its proportions. Disease, crime and narco-terrorism will touch every one of us. It will be interesting to see everyone's true stripes!

“The true Californian!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#17 Feb 15, 2009
This disgusts me people in the name of God rewarding illegal behavior.

Next these people will be handing out bullet proof vests so gang members don't die in shoot outs. DISGUSTING!

There are so many law abiding people they could be helping.
Carol

Fort Smith, AR

#19 Feb 15, 2009
Well this will sicken you completely. A freind sent me this in my email this morning. This is what Obama is trying to do quietly behind closed doors. It was a relatively short segment of Lou Dobbs.

CNN-AmnestyBillsWorstProvision s_.wmv (4081KB)
Ms Ann Thrope

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Feb 15, 2009
Chrgrfan wrote:
This disgusts me people in the name of God rewarding illegal behavior.
Next these people will be handing out bullet proof vests so gang members don't die in shoot outs. DISGUSTING!
There are so many law abiding people they could be helping.
Yes, kindness IS revolting. Godless, really. We should be good only to those who have earned it, who deserve it. Let the rest hang. Or desiccate. Don't tell me I'm my brother's keeper.

“Jimmy Tha Most”

Since: Sep 08

Sangre De Cristos

#21 Feb 15, 2009
This is the 5th or 6th day in a row that there has not been any news reported in this paper. Way to blindfold the locals, SFNM!
Alissa

United States

#22 Feb 15, 2009
You who are critical of this humanitarian work would do well to educate yourselves about the subject of illegal immigration. A key element of Humane Borders work is in fixing our broken immigration laws and partnering with the Mexican government to improve its own economy so that fewer people are forced to migrate. No one wants to leave their home country, or their family, which is what migrants are doing. Most often they do it because they have no option: it's leave home to find work elsewhere or stay and watch their family starve. What would you do if you were in the same situation? The humanitarian immigration groups in Southern Arizona would love to be put out of business, but this will happen only when the US creates immigration laws that are workable and humane. Until then, there will be a need to provide water, food and mercy to migrants.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sahuarita Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FeaturePoints referral code TZFTCC (Feb '15) Oct '17 Matthew52902 3
News Ariz. High School Wrestlers Arrested for Sexual... (Jan '13) Apr '14 Mhm 6
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Arizona (D... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Graham Kotow 23
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Arizona (D... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Brenton Colbath 32
News Son arrested in shooting of his father (Jan '10) Jul '13 girltoobad 5
tate family (May '13) May '13 Stephen 1
News Whats closed on veterans day (Nov '12) Nov '12 JJm 1

Sahuarita Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sahuarita Mortgages