Sagaponack mega-mansion spurs house s...

Sagaponack mega-mansion spurs house size limit -

There are 78 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 17, 2007, titled Sagaponack mega-mansion spurs house size limit -. In it, Newsday reports that:

The house on Daniels Lane in Sagaponack is like any other mansion. Almost. The gates open early in the morning for gardeners and pool cleaners.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
NYer

Budd Lake, NJ

#2 Sep 17, 2007
DOJ Files Civil Action Against MagCorp for PCB Violations
Leading U.S. polluter, US Magnesium Corporation of Salt Lake City, has been on the EPA's list as the largest toxic air polluter in the country.

Though MagCorp filed for bankruptcy on August 2, 2001, the principals do not seem to be hurting for cash. According to KSL radio in Salt Lake City, company owner, Ira Rennert, recently bought an entire city block outside of New York City (Hampton) and built a multi a mansion worth tens of millions of dollars.

http://pesn.com/2005/05/12/6900093_MagnesiumC...

Guy might have billions but how he attained all that wealth and what kind of individual he is sort of stinks. Newsday ought to do an expose' on this aspect of Rennert.
NYer

Budd Lake, NJ

#3 Sep 17, 2007
yet another article on mr wonderful..

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/...
NYer

Budd Lake, NJ

#4 Sep 17, 2007
and another on the Junk bond / pollution king

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2002/0722/044_pr...
NYer

Budd Lake, NJ

#6 Sep 17, 2007
Reads The Paper

Paterson, NJ

#7 Sep 17, 2007
Whoever the owner of this enormous house is, I don't understand why he wouldn't want to live a low profile life? Is he some kind of idiot?
EJ plumber

Rockaway, NJ

#8 Sep 17, 2007
The town has no trouble taking his tax money. With 65 acres of land He should be able to build what he wants. I guess no one took history (The gilded age)
JJjr

Bronxville, NY

#9 Sep 17, 2007

Ira's mega mansion had the glitteratti scared, Rumor had it the barracks would be a retreat for the hassidic jews to take the waters on the beach! I guess now they will breath easier knowing they are still wp in the Catskills! Hipicrites!
NYer

Budd Lake, NJ

#10 Sep 17, 2007
He should have built his mansion down in La Oroya, Peru. The site of his smelting plant (one of the ten most polluted places in the world, along with Chernobyl, Ukraine.)
Where it's reported that air levels of arsenic levels were 85 times more than the "safe" level, cadmium 41 times, and lead 13 times more. Water levels of lead exceeded the "safe" lead level (as established by the World Health Organisation) as well.

I'd strongly argue with the assertation that " he should be able to build what he wants" his past record of destruction and disregard for our world speaks for itself. Just because a person has money (and the means in which this individual attained his is very very very shady.. read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Rennert ) does NOT entitle them to do whatever they want. The world's a far different place now then it was in America's gilded age.
NYer

Budd Lake, NJ

#11 Sep 17, 2007
Reads The Paper wrote:
Whoever the owner of this enormous house is, I don't understand why he wouldn't want to live a low profile life? Is he some kind of idiot?
yes he is.. read up on how he made his fortune and you'll understand just why he keeps a low profile.
EJ plumber

Rockaway, NJ

#12 Sep 17, 2007
I am not a fan for sure but he's not the problem the laws around him are. He is going thru the whole process. But getting around it with his tactics it may not be right but its legal. With what I've read I see no convictions for anything. And yes it is far diffrent world today but thats still the dream for the masses
Latin from Manhattan

North Bergen, NJ

#13 Sep 17, 2007
I guess his neighbors are pist cause his home dwarfs all of theirs. But they do have a point. Amazing how they were willing to make an exception with the building codes when you have billions in the bank while us poorer slobs get put thru the wringer if we want to get approval for things that aren't "in code".
Rauls Pet Forever

Canton, GA

#14 Sep 17, 2007
Who cares? Get a life people...and mind your own business! If Mr. Rennart wants a"Big House"...then so be it!! There are more important issues plaguing Long Island! For example...the increasingly problematic illegal immigration woes!! And let us NOT forget that Hillary is running for Prez! Heaven help us if she gets in!!!!
NYer

Budd Lake, NJ

#15 Sep 17, 2007
His over the top mansion isn't what bothers me.. that Newsday highlighted it in a story is troublesome (as a reflection of what they deem newsworthy) to me. The man himself is what is the story here. From his being censured by NASD twice in the early 60's for operating without enough capital (and then denying it happened) to trading heavily in junk bonds which lead to his Renco Group and it's legacy of global enviromental destruction for quick profits without any regard for his workers or for human safety and health. These issues I do care about!
NYer

Budd Lake, NJ

#16 Sep 18, 2007
In a way I guess he's not too different from Carniege, Rockefeller, and Morgan of the bygone gilded age lol
NYer

Budd Lake, NJ

#17 Sep 18, 2007

"The Children Of Lead"
His Doe Run, Peru ..(a Renco Group holding) legacy

We get outraged when American children are exposed to lead in their enviroment and we should be equally outraged when children abroad are exposed ..especially when their exposure is from a company with ties to an American billionaire.
Rich

Raleigh, NC

#18 Sep 18, 2007
A house as big as his ego!
poconoweeze

Sunbury, PA

#19 Sep 18, 2007
Rauls Pet Forever wrote:
Who cares? Get a life people...and mind your own business! If Mr. Rennart wants a"Big House"...then so be it!! There are more important issues plaguing Long Island! For example...the increasingly problematic illegal immigration woes!! And let us NOT forget that Hillary is running for Prez! Heaven help us if she gets in!!!!
Hey the people voted her slime bucket husband in with all the scandel while he ran, and to add insult to injury she became senator, now she's running power hungry lesbian that she is. You reap what you sow.
DORISUE RENNERT HOCHMAN

AOL

#21 Sep 18, 2007
AN OPEN LETTER TO COUSIN IRA:

I WAS GOING TO WRITE A BOOK BUT SOMEONE ELSE IS (AS I HAVE BEEN CONTACTED) AND IT DOESN'T LOOK PRETTY.

TOO BAD THERE HAS BEEN NO CONTACT SINCE I SAW YOU AT MY GRANDMOTHER'S (YOUR AUNT'S) FUNERAL IN THE EARLY 60'S; BUT MY FAMILY HAVE ALL COME TO TERMS WITH THE FACT THAT YOU (OR PERHAPS INGE) WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH US.

STRANGE, AS FOLKS WHO HAVE SEEM YOUR PHOTO SAY THAT YOU AND I LOOK LIKE SISTER AND BROTHER.

OF COURSE WE LIVE IN DIFFERENT WORLDS. I AM A RETIRED EDUCATOR AND NO ONE KNOWS OR CARES ABOUT ME EXCEPT A FEW FAMILY MEMBERS AND MY FRIENDS. WE ARE ABOUT 5-7 YEARS APART AND WHEN I DIE NO OBITS FOR ME IN THE NEW YORK TIMES. I AM UNABLE TO MAKE BIG SPLASHLY CONTRIBUTIONS AS MY HUSBAND AND I LIVE ON A TIGHT BUDGET.

HOWEVER, DEAR COUSIN IRA, I REMEMBER OUR CLOSENESS IN THE MOUNTAINS OF NEW YORK STATE AS KIDS AND HOW YOU FOLLOWED MY BROTHER AROUND BECAUSE OF HIS CHARISMA, YOU KNOW HE DIED SADLY OVER 15 YEARS AGO AND WE NEVER HEARD FROM YOU.

YES, THE RENNERTS ARE A SELFISH BUNCH AND I DISCUSSED THIS WITH MY DAD IN REFERENCE TO WHAT YOUR FATHER, HIS UNCLE DID TO HIM IN BUSINESS...YOU KNOW IT RUINED MY FAMILY'S LIFE. AH, BUT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY LIVE IN THAT FANTASTIC APARTMENT IN MANHATTAN, AND THAT AMAZING MANSION ON LONG ISLAND AND HAVE THAT HOME IN ISRAEL AND YOUR OWN AIRPLANE. LIFE IS GOOD.

YOUR RENNERT COUSINS HAVE GIVEN UP ON EVER AGAIN HAVING ANY CONTACT WITH YOU...WE HAVE COME TO REALIZE THAT BIG MONEY CHANGES PEOPLE AND SERIOUSLY I WISH YOU WELL. HOWEVER, AS AN AGING PERSON MYSELF I NEEDED TO VENT AND HERE IT IS FOR PUBLIC CONSUMPTION.. HAPPY NEW YEAR DEAR COUSIN IRA AND I WONDER ARE YOU AGAIN PRAYING TO HAVE YOUR SINS CAST AWAY - PRAY VERY HARD; THERE SEEM TO BE MANY?
DORISUE RENNERT HOCHMAN

AOL

#22 Sep 18, 2007
THAT WAS DISGUSTING...SORRY
one love

New York, NY

#23 Sep 18, 2007
People complain about everything! Get a life

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sagaponack Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News MS-13 Gang "Entrenched" On Long Island (Aug '07) Oct 24 Jamel 112
News Schools chief ousted in East End row (Feb '06) Oct '17 oysterponds taxpa... 31
Review: Vanderleigh Properties (Nov '08) Aug '17 Mike P 38
News Billy Joel's daughter, Alexa Ray Joel, hospital... (Dec '09) Aug '17 BAD HOMBRE TRUMP 36
News Albany Police investigate shooting (Mar '14) Aug '17 yami200 14
Security and Loss Prevention in the Hamptons (May '17) May '17 Eastern Security 1
Boycott Palm Beach County (Mar '17) Mar '17 The War on Speech 1

Sagaponack Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sagaponack Mortgages