Charity director denies stealing $700...

Charity director denies stealing $700,000

There are 10 comments on the Buffalo News story from Oct 22, 2007, titled Charity director denies stealing $700,000. In it, Buffalo News reports that:

A Catholic charity's director looted about $700,000 in donations and thrift shop proceeds to feed a gambling habit, pouring much of the stolen money into lottery tickets, prosecutors said. via Buffalo News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Buffalo News.

Trinity Driscoll

Winthrop, ME

#1 Oct 23, 2007
Pauline Winterbottom is my mother and though I don't condone her for taking money she is still a good person. She is a woman that would do anything she could for others. She has done something wrong and will pay for her actions but please don't forget the good things she has done as well.
MASHED POTATOES

Coram, NY

#2 Nov 14, 2007
People on the North Fork know that Pauline is a good person, but she did a stupid thing and was dishonest. People put their trust in her and she abused that trust. That is more of an issue than the act itself. The volunteers feel terrible about this whole affair. The Parish Outreach does a lot of good things, for a lot of people, but how much more could have been done with that money? Nobody wants to see your Mother crucified and we do feel for her and you and your family, but justice will have to take its course. Don't worry, the fear of the future is worse than actually going through it. Eventually you will be able to put it all behind you. Stand by your Mother. Our prayers are with you and your family. East Enders, like most Americans, are a very forgiving lot. Stay strong.
Trinity Driscoll

Winthrop, ME

#3 Nov 17, 2007
MASHED POTATOES wrote:
People on the North Fork know that Pauline is a good person, but she did a stupid thing and was dishonest. People put their trust in her and she abused that trust. That is more of an issue than the act itself. The volunteers feel terrible about this whole affair. The Parish Outreach does a lot of good things, for a lot of people, but how much more could have been done with that money? Nobody wants to see your Mother crucified and we do feel for her and you and your family, but justice will have to take its course. Don't worry, the fear of the future is worse than actually going through it. Eventually you will be able to put it all behind you. Stand by your Mother. Our prayers are with you and your family. East Enders, like most Americans, are a very forgiving lot. Stay strong.
Thank you for the kind words. It is much needed.
blah blah blah

New York, NY

#4 Aug 5, 2008
Pauline always was a very cold woman who could care less about her hard working voulenteers. She should have stayed in jail. She did a terrible thing that she is going to have to live with for the rest of her life.
Gen X Revert

Uniondale, NY

#5 Nov 26, 2008
Now that your mother has been convicted I would like to know what she and you plan on doing to pay back the money she stole??
pam

Rochester, NY

#6 Dec 14, 2008
Pauline is a good person and noway could she have taken 700,000 dollars on lottery tickets. I 'm not saying she is alright but someone is getting away with a bundle. i think this has to be looked into closer.
Trinity

Bangor, ME

#7 Aug 5, 2009
My mother will do her best to pay back anything she was accused of. I don't believe it is my problem to pay back any of it. I will help her out when she gets out so she can live the rest of her life.
Gen X Revert wrote:
Now that your mother has been convicted I would like to know what she and you plan on doing to pay back the money she stole??
LongWayFromLI

Inkster, MI

#8 Aug 6, 2009
I have worked with Pauline and was shocked at what she did. I know her as a hard working person always having the poor and homeless in mind. I've seen her lift and move furniture that almost weighed as much as she did. I believe that the Diocese of Rockville Center is as much to blame as she is because it did not require an annual financial audit from Outreach. All such efforts as that from which Pauline stole are in actuality a small business and should follow the legislated laws regardless of the efforts size. I'm sure your good bishop (ha, good that's a joke) feels that the four parish priests that had oversite responsibility for Outreach let him down. They didn't. They are parish priests looking over a small busines without training or knowledge.
Trinity

Orono, ME

#9 Aug 19, 2009
Thank you. It is about time that someone sees her as a person and not a horrible monster. She did think of all people before herself. She has a disease and needs some help. Can you cure cancer without treatment...no....and you cant cure a gambling addiction without treatment!
LongWayFromLI wrote:
I have worked with Pauline and was shocked at what she did. I know her as a hard working person always having the poor and homeless in mind. I've seen her lift and move furniture that almost weighed as much as she did. I believe that the Diocese of Rockville Center is as much to blame as she is because it did not require an annual financial audit from Outreach. All such efforts as that from which Pauline stole are in actuality a small business and should follow the legislated laws regardless of the efforts size. I'm sure your good bishop (ha, good that's a joke) feels that the four parish priests that had oversite responsibility for Outreach let him down. They didn't. They are parish priests looking over a small busines without training or knowledge.
worker

Sparta, NJ

#10 Jan 12, 2014
Pauline is a mean awful person. Not only did she steal from the Outreach she stole from some one very close to me. I have the proof and when I receive the one document I'm waiting for she will be in prison even longer, unless she pays back the money she stole.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sagaponack Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News James Bissett, Long Island Aquarium Owner, Foun... (Dec '11) Jun 20 James 2,895
News De Blasio mandates restroom access for transgen... Jun 10 Nopal 4
Song about the Citiots! Jun 8 John_Albert 1
Song about the Citiots! Jun 8 John_Albert 1
News Many Vietnam veterans say they support lifting ... May '16 YourEx 10
News Many Vietnam vets say they support lifting of a... May '16 Bama Yankee 1
News Billy Joel's daughter, Alexa Ray Joel, hospital... (Dec '09) May '16 drugs thin the herd 34

Sagaponack Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sagaponack Mortgages