Anguished sentencing in fatal DWI

Anguished sentencing in fatal DWI

There are 14 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 10, 2009, titled Anguished sentencing in fatal DWI. In it, Newsday reports that:

Just before he was sent to prison Friday, a Riverside college student wept as he read an apology to the family of the man he struck and killed while driving drunk.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

OH WELL

United States

#1 Jan 10, 2009
IDIIOT!
OH WELL

United States

#2 Jan 10, 2009
JERK
Diogenes

Medford, NY

#3 Jan 10, 2009
The light sentences they hand out to people who drink then drive is what allows these stories to be repeated endlessly. If they gave out harsher sentences for this and for driving with no or suspended licenses people would think a little bit about the consequences. The other sad truth about drinking is this fellow wasn't even of drinking age. The other sad truth is the people who leave the scene of an accident, they should be dealt with more harshly than they are now. Still its very sad for the victim and their loved ones. It also is sad for the perpertraters, if they have a conscience. The true saddest part of this story is the judges who sentence most of these people are usually no better at controlling themselves when it comes to drinking and driving, thus we get except for some luck there I go.
clueless

United States

#4 Jan 10, 2009
Diogenes wrote:
The light sentences they hand out to people who drink then drive is what allows these stories to be repeated endlessly. If they gave out harsher sentences for this and for driving with no or suspended licenses people would think a little bit about the consequences. The other sad truth about drinking is this fellow wasn't even of drinking age. The other sad truth is the people who leave the scene of an accident, they should be dealt with more harshly than they are now. Still its very sad for the victim and their loved ones. It also is sad for the perpertraters, if they have a conscience. The true saddest part of this story is the judges who sentence most of these people are usually no better at controlling themselves when it comes to drinking and driving, thus we get except for some luck there I go.
I agree. These judges and lawyers are the ones degrading the justice system with thier lenient sentencing.
ex-drinker

New Rochelle, NY

#5 Jan 10, 2009
I quit drinking over 10 years ago and how I managed not to kill anyone driving drunk is a miracle. Here for the Grace of God go I. Prayers to the families and to everyone buying their next six pack, wake up time!
Pandora

White Plains, NY

#6 Jan 10, 2009
clueless wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. These judges and lawyers are the ones degrading the justice system with thier lenient sentencing.
All the judges are crazy. They are clueless and tend to let the DWI killers off with a slap on the wrist. How can we prevent the liberal judges from condoning DWI killers?

Since: Dec 08

Far Rockaway, NY

#7 Jan 10, 2009
You can always count on Newsday for the scoop on drunk driving stories.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
will

White Plains, NY

#8 Jan 10, 2009
Compare this case to the fellow in NY, a rich guy, who mowed down a woman, evidence clearly indicated he was drunk, and also ran from the scene... but got off with 15 weekend days in prison...all because his lawyers were able to say the victim had a few drinks...the "boy" in this case gave a decent, well-worded statement...seemed sincere to me...but no statement after his light sentence from this well-heeled drunken woman killer in NY with deep pockets...go figure...
clueless

United States

#9 Jan 10, 2009
will wrote:
Compare this case to the fellow in NY, a rich guy, who mowed down a woman, evidence clearly indicated he was drunk, and also ran from the scene... but got off with 15 weekend days in prison...all because his lawyers were able to say the victim had a few drinks...the "boy" in this case gave a decent, well-worded statement...seemed sincere to me...but no statement after his light sentence from this well-heeled drunken woman killer in NY with deep pockets...go figure...
Thats our justice system!
fotoguy

White Plains, NY

#10 Jan 11, 2009
Quit the tears you little scumbag. 2-6 is far too lenient
redman

Upton, NY

#11 Jan 12, 2009
Diogenes wrote:
Waaaaaaaa....to all of you..6 years is a life time to an 18 yr old and at least he had the balls to stay and wait for the cops !!! How many wussies have fled the scene for a lot less !!!! We drinkers outnumber you non-drinkers so buckele up .....

“Rockin' in the Free World”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#12 Jan 12, 2009
Sorry I have no tissues for you! Becareful when you get out

“silly conspiracy theory HA”

Since: Mar 07

Long Island

#13 Jan 12, 2009
redman is right - this guy could have mowed down this individual and kept on going. that was the first thing I thought of when I read this story.

Also, what about the person he drove to work, did they not realize that he was drunk?

“Brandon killed 4-4-06”

Since: Jul 08

United States

#15 Jan 12, 2009
InTheCrapper wrote:
redman is right - this guy could have mowed down this individual and kept on going. that was the first thing I thought of when I read this story.
Also, what about the person he drove to work, did they not realize that he was drunk?
The first thing I thought of was the victims family. Maybe prison will make a man out of this killer. Time will tell.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sag Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Southampton Town Police reports (Feb '09) Nov 24 SH Brokerage 4
News MS-13 Gang "Entrenched" On Long Island (Aug '07) Oct '17 Jamel 112
News Schools chief ousted in East End row (Feb '06) Oct '17 oysterponds taxpa... 31
Review: Vanderleigh Properties (Nov '08) Aug '17 Mike P 38
News Billy Joel's daughter, Alexa Ray Joel, hospital... (Dec '09) Aug '17 BAD HOMBRE TRUMP 36
News Albany Police investigate shooting (Mar '14) Aug '17 yami200 14
Security and Loss Prevention in the Hamptons (May '17) May '17 Eastern Security 1

Sag Harbor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sag Harbor Mortgages