Draper pleads not guilty to child abu...

Draper pleads not guilty to child abuse, aggravated assault

There are 35 comments on the Eastern Arizona Courier story from Jul 27, 2006, titled Draper pleads not guilty to child abuse, aggravated assault. In it, Eastern Arizona Courier reports that:

Also faces drug charges, state board of nursing investigation By Adam Gaub, Assistant Editor Accused child abuser Dustin Draper pleaded not guilty to four counts of child abuse and four counts of aggravated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eastern Arizona Courier.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Over my Head

Tucson, AZ

#22 Mar 20, 2007
I meant to say that I DO NOT feel there are laws to adequately punish criminals guilty of the acts he commited. A lot of you have seen the video tapes, with the little girls face blurred.....To see the few moments you all saw, but with her sweet little face visible is far more revealing, horrifying.....Plus, you all haven't seen the other far worse tapes--I have seen exerpts of more than was shown on TV, but not the more recent tapes. They were described in court yesterday and on other court dates, but the impact of hearing a description is far less than seeing. Also, it is gut wrenching to hear the little girl describe some of the torturous acts that were not on the video tapes. 40 minutes were video taped....but how much time he spent abusing her will always be a haunting question. You also did not hear the verbal threats he made to her on what he would do to her mother---video taped-to knock all her teeth out and kick her in the head, etc. Per the little girl "To cut her head off" You all did not witness the interviews he taped teaching her how to act around him and say to reduce suspicion and keep his cover. Through all the love and support this child gets from her mother, father, family, and friends, she has come a long way in dealing with these vicious attacks. However, she still acts out in play, brings up the monster, and is extremely sensitive to villains in Disney movies or to small animals being attacked as in March of the Penguins. She will deal with this for a very long time and with the guidance and love she is getting will hopefully not have permanent damage to her little self esteem....but it will have everlasting effects undoubtedly, parts of her personality reveal a victim. It is unfortunate that he put his family through this as well. It is also unfortunate that he didn't get the needed help prior to this disaster. If he'd had it, maybe a child wouldn't have suffered.
Dustins Mother

Safford, AZ

#23 Mar 30, 2007
Over my Head wrote:
I meant to say that I DO NOT feel there are laws to adequately punish criminals guilty of the acts he commited. A lot of you have seen the video tapes, with the little girls face blurred.....To see the few moments you all saw, but with her sweet little face visible is far more revealing, horrifying.....Plus, you all haven't seen the other far worse tapes--I have seen exerpts of more than was shown on TV, but not the more recent tapes. They were described in court yesterday and on other court dates, but the impact of hearing a description is far less than seeing. Also, it is gut wrenching to hear the little girl describe some of the torturous acts that were not on the video tapes. 40 minutes were video taped....but how much time he spent abusing her will always be a haunting question. You also did not hear the verbal threats he made to her on what he would do to her mother---video taped-to knock all her teeth out and kick her in the head, etc. Per the little girl "To cut her head off" You all did not witness the interviews he taped teaching her how to act around him and say to reduce suspicion and keep his cover. Through all the love and support this child gets from her mother, father, family, and friends, she has come a long way in dealing with these vicious attacks. However, she still acts out in play, brings up the monster, and is extremely sensitive to villains in Disney movies or to small animals being attacked as in March of the Penguins. She will deal with this for a very long time and with the guidance and love she is getting will hopefully not have permanent damage to her little self esteem....but it will have everlasting effects undoubtedly, parts of her personality reveal a victim. It is unfortunate that he put his family through this as well. It is also unfortunate that he didn't get the needed help prior to this disaster. If he'd had it, maybe a child wouldn't have suffered.
First of all you are a liar. Most of this garbage is your own personal opinion. I think you were sleeping during his sentencing. I was present in the courtroom too and I didn't hear one word about him threatening to "cut her head off". But I did hear the county attorney say he threatened to cut her "hair off". You are misleading the public with your crap. You should really get your facts straight who ever you are.
Dustins Mother

Safford, AZ

#24 Mar 30, 2007
Christy M wrote:
I hate to keep asking about this case but what happened on 1/29? I went to nursing school with this guy and just found out about his actions!!!! I haven't spoken to him since he moved almost 4 years ago. I truly hate it for this victim and the family and also his family.
Christy, if you'd like to know what really happened in the courtroom please contact me. My email address is [email protected] really can't believe everything that people say in this forum or any others. Our family is devestated over this whole thing and our hearts have gone out to the little girl and her family. Our lives have changed forever. Regardless of what happened, he is still my son and I will love him unconditionally. The rest of the world can think and feel as they please.
Someone concerned

Safford, AZ

#25 Apr 7, 2007
He's gone to prison now so everyone should be happy!
Someone concerned

Safford, AZ

#26 Apr 7, 2007
Over my Head wrote:
<quoted text>
Yesterday, he was sentenced to 3 years in prison and if he gets any parole he will go straight to the also sentenced intensive probation for 3 years. He is to have no contact with any child under the age of 12. The judge recommended counseling, life skills since he no longer has a nursing license, and anger management. Court was very emotional. The 40 minutes of video tapes were not played, even though it was felt that his family should actually have to view them to understand the severity. Only a very few people have seen all of the tapes, and they are sickening. The last and worst of the tapes were protected from the media. The judge took into consideration the age of the little girl (2-3), the threatening use of a deadly weapon (baseball bat based on the size and age of the victim), the fact that he video taped them, there was no purpose for the abuse, the psychological effects on the child, the breech of trust to the mother, and I may have forgotten some of the other things the judge said. He was very considerate to realize that the victim still needs reassurance that he will no longer be able to harm her, and that the public needs to know that this behavior and abuse of children would not go unpunishied. He stated he considered throwing out the plea, but based on the laws realized that there would not be much more time a jury could give and the time it would take for a trial wouldn't compensate. I don't feel there aren't laws adequate for this unique and heinous crime. The county attorney gave an eye-opening, emotional, and very descriptive account of the crime and speech on what he felt needed to be done. Of course, the defense tried to portray Dusty as an upstanding citizen that got lost in drugs. However, a lot of people do drugs and the crimes they usually get into trouble are either for drugs or for crimes in which they are attempting to get drugs, stealing. The attorney stated that he does not appear to be on drugs in all of the videos, and he specifically said the worst of the videos he didn't seem to be on drugs. Anyway, I could say so much more, but this gives a very brief synopsis. By the way though, yesterday was also the little girls 4th birthday....a sort of poetic justice. However, although it being over feels good-I'm still left with an emptiness inside. I don't think 3 years adequately serves justice, but understand this is all the law could allow. I just have faith that God has a plan and he is taking care of us all.
He's gone to prison now so you can celebrate, relax and go on with your life!
Nevada Rose

Elko, NV

#27 Apr 30, 2007
Omg...,the crimes people are capable of doing to the young and innocent. Makes my skin crawl. I wonder if counseling or any rehabilitation really helps these types of criminals, after all, they already got a taste of it. He is in jail? He should be careful to not drop the soap.
Rose Garden wrote:
Concerned Citizen...
The examples of “a man strangling a woman to death with her own bra and leaving her buried naked in the desert while at home she has two young children waiting for her” and someone “accidentally leaving a child restrained in a carseat for several hours and finding her dead from the heat” are horrific happenings - it’s true. Maybe you were personally affected by these things – I don’t know…. Certainly – media attention is important in both of your examples… and my heart goes out to all of the people affected – especially the little girls who mother has been killed.
But it doesn’t not take away from the videotaped abuse of the little girl.
This man tortured this child. Have you seen the whole tape? He picks her up and throws her. He violently shakes her head while pulling her hair. She was crying with her mouth taped shut. That's how many abused children die – choking to death or suffocating. Their noses clog up from crying, and they can't get air - so they drowned on their own mucous. Once it's inhaled - it can kill them.
Taping her mouth shut and torturing her is glimpse of things yet to come. Telling her to stop crying and he'll take the tape off is teaching her to obey his commands.
This man was priming this little girl for sexual abuse. It starts with power and control – being dominant over a submissive child. He had other videos of this child being smacked and abused – all while she was in different states of undress. The videos on his phone were already titled and being released to other men who get off on seeing a child dominated.
Did you see the smile on his face? His pleasure in her terror and suffering is appalling. It cannot be stressed enough that his intent was to devastate this little girl in every way possible. He had child porn in his home. Do not minimize what this man was doing.
The film of her being spritzed on by water was the man simulating ejaculation. This is one of the ways pedophiles dehumanize their victims. Eventually, he would use urine. And then finally – ejaculate.
As for your comment:“He did no more than alot of people do to their own children, they just don't get caught.”… What’s up with that? Those children are also being abused and tortured. The fact that “they just don’t get caught” is why some of those very children end up in the morgue… or reported “missing”, or end up with addictions to dull the pain of childhood abuse…
This man hung himself by making a film showing the abuse of a child.“Blown out of proportion?” I certainly hope that any children you have in your lifetime are never put in the circumstance this little girl was… because I'm not sure that you would protect them...
Nevada Rose

Elko, NV

#28 Apr 30, 2007
Omg...,the crimes people are capable of doing to the young and innocent. Makes my skin crawl. I wonder if counseling or any rehabilitation really helps these types of criminals, after all, they already got a taste of it. He is in jail? He should be careful to not drop the soap.
Nevada Rose

Elko, NV

#29 May 1, 2007
Dustins Mother wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks so much for correcting my grammer. I am not agreeing with what this man did, it is terrible. I'm only saying that it is not the place of the public, the press or the other inmates to try, convict and sentence him.
WE are the PEOPLE..,and WE are the JURY.
Nevada Rose

Elko, NV

#30 May 6, 2007
Rose Garden wrote:
Concerned Citizen...
The examples of “a man strangling a woman to death with her own bra and leaving her buried naked in the desert while at home she has two young children waiting for her” and someone “accidentally leaving a child restrained in a carseat for several hours and finding her dead from the heat” are horrific happenings - it’s true. Maybe you were personally affected by these things – I don’t know…. Certainly – media attention is important in both of your examples… and my heart goes out to all of the people affected – especially the little girls who mother has been killed.
But it doesn’t not take away from the videotaped abuse of the little girl.
This man tortured this child. Have you seen the whole tape? He picks her up and throws her. He violently shakes her head while pulling her hair. She was crying with her mouth taped shut. That's how many abused children die – choking to death or suffocating. Their noses clog up from crying, and they can't get air - so they drowned on their own mucous. Once it's inhaled - it can kill them.
Taping her mouth shut and torturing her is glimpse of things yet to come. Telling her to stop crying and he'll take the tape off is teaching her to obey his commands.
This man was priming this little girl for sexual abuse. It starts with power and control – being dominant over a submissive child. He had other videos of this child being smacked and abused – all while she was in different states of undress. The videos on his phone were already titled and being released to other men who get off on seeing a child dominated.
Did you see the smile on his face? His pleasure in her terror and suffering is appalling. It cannot be stressed enough that his intent was to devastate this little girl in every way possible. He had child porn in his home. Do not minimize what this man was doing.
The film of her being spritzed on by water was the man simulating ejaculation. This is one of the ways pedophiles dehumanize their victims. Eventually, he would use urine. And then finally – ejaculate.
As for your comment:“He did no more than alot of people do to their own children, they just don't get caught.”… What’s up with that? Those children are also being abused and tortured. The fact that “they just don’t get caught” is why some of those very children end up in the morgue… or reported “missing”, or end up with addictions to dull the pain of childhood abuse…
This man hung himself by making a film showing the abuse of a child.“Blown out of proportion?” I certainly hope that any children you have in your lifetime are never put in the circumstance this little girl was… because I'm not sure that you would protect them...
This is true, and also educating. Education, even on the actions of a pedophile is a protection for us all.
NoMercyForChildA busers

Nokia, Finland

#31 Jun 4, 2007
Like it says on my title, child abusers a the worst kind of humans after pedofiles and rapists...
I don't care if he was on drugs or if he wasn't. What he did to that poor girl was nothing but one step from murder.
I mean really, did you all see how he threw that girl in that video.
I say guilty as hell...
Put him in maximum prison and tell all the other prisoners that he's a child abuser...
That's what this guy deserves...
If I were related to Dustin Drapes, I would crawl under some rock and never come out. And I definitely wouldn't try to defend what he did like his mother tried earlier on this thread.
AssRaper

Monroe, LA

#32 Jun 5, 2007
I get great comfort in the thought that this dude is probably getting butt raped by his new black boyfriend in prison right now as we speak...

"I like you dustin, you're gonna be my new b i t c h!, I hope you like giving head boy."
shauna

Spanaway, WA

#33 Jul 15, 2007
I was sexually abused and bullied by my abuser when i was 2 and a half, and I can tell you that yes I do remember it very vividly. Give me a break lady...I know he is your son and that love from a mother is unconditional, but how would you have handled it if it were your son at age 3 being abused and bullied and terrified by an adult you thought you could trust? I am pretty damn sure you would be more than a little angry too, and appalled that all that time you thought that this person of trust was hurting your child. I can honestly say that she the little child will remember the abuse for the rest of her life. Dont try to down play the fact that alot of people will be upset. What would have happend had the mother not found the video? And the abuse got worse to where he had finally killed her or raped her? The only funny thing I see in this is that he was DUMB enough to video tape his stupid a$$ doing the abuse. Ha! He got caught and now he is more angry at the fact he got caught. He has no remorse...the only remorse he has is the fact he forgot to get rid of the damning evidence. The only RIGHT thing he did in my book. Does he deserve to die? No but he derserves to lose his freedom for the rest of his life. 3 years doesnt cut it. And if I sound bitter...its because I can relate to the terror that poor child went through and had to endure for as long as she did. Wake up lady! You can love your son and thats good, but he needs to pay for the crime he did and sadly wont pay with life in prison. What a shame!
Patti

United States

#34 Mar 19, 2008
Dustins Mother wrote:
<quoted text>Christy, if you'd like to know what really happened in the courtroom please contact me. My email address is [email protected] really can't believe everything that people say in this forum or any others. Our family is devestated over this whole thing and our hearts have gone out to the little girl and her family. Our lives have changed forever. Regardless of what happened, he is still my son and I will love him unconditionally. The rest of the world can think and feel as they please.
I also went to nursing schools with Dustin, and My heart goes out to you as a mother to have to deal with all the press and watching how people will now treat him. He needs alot of help not critism at this time. Lots of love to you and your family. Just remember you are not responsible for the actions of your son.
Patti

United States

#35 Mar 19, 2008
I also went to school with Dustin, He was a great friend at times when we all needed help. I am sorry to hear about what happened. I don't really understand what made him do any of this, but I hope he gets the help that he needs. My heart goes out to you as a Mother.
Eness

Jonesboro, GA

#36 Mar 8, 2009
Hang his ass and order that he be tortured in jail aswell. Such a pervert!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Safford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the music thread (Mar '12) Feb '17 Musikologist 23
Fema Do the survey to get your input (Jan '17) Jan '17 joanNYadoptees 1
New Jersey Adoptee's can get their original bir... (Jan '17) Jan '17 joanNYadoptees 2
Are you living in Willcox az. ? (Jun '16) Jan '17 joanNYadoptees 2
Az Birth Parents who relinquished a child (Jun '12) Jan '17 joanNYadoptees 8
Churches in willcox (Dec '16) Dec '16 Tngirl 1
News Stronger rein urged over sex offenders (Jul '06) Dec '16 Ellison ISIS Muslim 4

Safford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Safford Mortgages