Drug Testing Lab in Florida Says New ...

Drug Testing Lab in Florida Says New Rule Requiring Patient Drug...

There are 39 comments on the I-Newswire.com story from Oct 5, 2010, titled Drug Testing Lab in Florida Says New Rule Requiring Patient Drug.... In it, I-Newswire.com reports that:

Avee Laboratories establishes information hotline to educate physicians and patients about October 1st changes to Florida's pain clinic laws and to explain new standards of practice for pain management physicians.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at I-Newswire.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 10

Bastrop, TX

#23 Dec 31, 2010
(I didn't write the first sentence as printed above,so I'm printing this again to fix this mistake) See how this works,whether you're someone that,s only prescribed one pill a day, or one of these people that goes doctor shopping and get's hundreds of pills,you,re labeled as an addict that needs a fix. I have no problem with going after people that try and get way too many pills. What I hate,is, just because there will always be people that will abuse the system,anyone who takes opiate pain killers,is labeled as a low life addict that needs a fix. Anybody that takes opiates for more than a short period of time, becomes addicted to these type of pain killers. Many people with chronic pain,find that these painkillers help them to have a better quality of life. Having to live with pain,is bad enough,so why make people feel worst by judging them and calling everyone of them, addicts that needs a fix. With this type of government oversight,you are required to take your medicine everyday,whether you need it our not.You also cannot run out too early, when your pain becomes worst, as is what happens to anyone that's human. I believe that it would better to let these people that abuse the system,to go ahead and kill themselves by overdosing,than to punish the thousands of people who only have one doctor and one prescription. I say, keep the government out of our doctors office,and let them do the job that they were trained to do.
Jaxon

Spring Hill, FL

#24 Dec 31, 2010
Spyder1961 wrote:
To see if you ARE taking your presribed meds and as prescribed, as well as other meds/drugs. Here in NC. it is about impossible to stay in a pain management clinic due to all the crazy laws and standards by which the medical firms are forced to throw upon patients. Being in chronic pain has become a pain in itself because of all the BS I have to go thru to get help. Now I am back to the beginning all over again because of crap SAID about me and the pain clinic catching wind of it. Dismissed again... Start all over... Anyone know of a clinic where I can get help?
~~Thanks for answering my question. I feel so bad for you. What did this person say about you? Oh gosh, I know how long that "process" takes. If I could I would rush it for you. Living in pain is horrible. I have finally found pain medicine that works (oxycodone) after two years of trying everything else but narcotics....and I can wake up with smile on my face...and now all this BS is happening. Now drug tests? OMG! America is a free country? Are you sure?

“First Thought”

Since: Mar 07

Carmel

#25 Jan 1, 2011
Say what you want. 3 different "Doctors" sent me home from 3 different ER rooms with nothing but pain pills. I couldn't walk in and I couldn't walk out. A friend sent me to a pain doctor clinic. I couldn't walk in but I did walk out after surgery in his office. No pain pills needed or given. Careful what you do to these doctors. You may be in pain one day too. I say look into the uncaring inexperienced "Doctors" in these ER rooms. Their nothing more then profit centers. My insurance covered all 3 but of course my annual rate went up 27%! God help us.
Jaxon

Spring Hill, FL

#26 Jan 1, 2011
If they want to see if we are taking our oxycodone, then test our oxycodone levels or test us to see if there is oxycodone in our blood. Dont test us for everything and anything else. That's prying into our private business. That's my 2 cents. ;) And how is this affecting our tax dollars?
methprevention

Oroville, CA

#27 Jan 3, 2011
Surf Fink wrote:
(I didn't write the first sentence as printed above,so I'm printing this again to fix this mistake) See how this works,whether you're someone that,s only prescribed one pill a day, or one of these people that goes doctor shopping and get's hundreds of pills,you,re labeled as an addict that needs a fix. I have no problem with going after people that try and get way too many pills. What I hate,is, just because there will always be people that will abuse the system,anyone who takes opiate pain killers,is labeled as a low life addict that needs a fix. Anybody that takes opiates for more than a short period of time, becomes addicted to these type of pain killers. Many people with chronic pain,find that these painkillers help them to have a better quality of life. Having to live with pain,is bad enough,so why make people feel worst by judging them and calling everyone of them, addicts that needs a fix. With this type of government oversight,you are required to take your medicine everyday,whether you need it our not.You also cannot run out too early, when your pain becomes worst, as is what happens to anyone that's human. I believe that it would better to let these people that abuse the system,to go ahead and kill themselves by overdosing,than to punish the thousands of people who only have one doctor and one prescription. I say, keep the government out of our doctors office,and let them do the job that they were trained to do.

The majority of doctors have very little training regarding substance abuse addiction and even less training regarding preventing addiction.

In a recent survey of doctors most felt very uncomfortable even mentioning addiction to their patients.

These are just a couple of reasons why additional screening is needed other than deaths, overdoses and creating addicts.

This would create accountability from the doctors because they now have none. If and or when your family member overdoses and dies you could at least know how ethically their doctor was in providing their prescription.
Jaxon

Spring Hill, FL

#28 Jan 3, 2011
methprevention wrote:
<quoted text>
The majority of doctors have very little training regarding substance abuse addiction and even less training regarding preventing addiction.
In a recent survey of doctors most felt very uncomfortable even mentioning addiction to their patients.
These are just a couple of reasons why additional screening is needed other than deaths, overdoses and creating addicts.
This would create accountability from the doctors because they now have none. If and or when your family member overdoses and dies you could at least know how ethically their doctor was in providing their prescription.
You're right. All true.

In Tampa, the call my pain doctor "the best one in Tampa". The pharmacists love him. I have heard good things from other doctors, etc...you get the point.

But the first few appointments we had together, when we were trying to find the right medication and the right dosage, he didn't discuss addiction with me at all.

In my first appointment, the receptionist had me read this paper saying that, "narcotics can be addicting, only if you take too much or not as prescribed...and do you understand this risk?" I was to sign this paper and bring it back to the receptionist.

The next little warning that I got from my pain doctor was on my 4th visit when he prescribed me oxycodone 30mg...and shook his head and said "phew" and handed me the script. Not much of a warning. He didn't really talk about it with me.

But nonetheless, this is the medication that I have been on for a year now and it works for my severe pain, chronic pain and acute pain that I deal with. I knew the risk I was taking anyway.

And now with all the pharmacies saying they dont have any oxycodone, and all the discrimination I get when trying to fill a script, and now drug tests happening...this is crazy. It SHOULD be simple: "I am in pain and need medicine." "Ok, here you go."
I hear this all around me, all the time: "the junkies have screwed it up for the people who really need pain medicine." I guess they are right.

Please reply. I would love to hear your side of the story.
Thank you.
methprevention

Oroville, CA

#29 Jan 3, 2011
Jaxon wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. All true.
In Tampa, the call my pain doctor "the best one in Tampa". The pharmacists love him. I have heard good things from other doctors, etc...you get the point.
But the first few appointments we had together, when we were trying to find the right medication and the right dosage, he didn't discuss addiction with me at all.
In my first appointment, the receptionist had me read this paper saying that, "narcotics can be addicting, only if you take too much or not as prescribed...and do you understand this risk?" I was to sign this paper and bring it back to the receptionist.
The next little warning that I got from my pain doctor was on my 4th visit when he prescribed me oxycodone 30mg...and shook his head and said "phew" and handed me the script. Not much of a warning. He didn't really talk about it with me.
But nonetheless, this is the medication that I have been on for a year now and it works for my severe pain, chronic pain and acute pain that I deal with. I knew the risk I was taking anyway.
And now with all the pharmacies saying they dont have any oxycodone, and all the discrimination I get when trying to fill a script, and now drug tests happening...this is crazy. It SHOULD be simple: "I am in pain and need medicine." "Ok, here you go."
I hear this all around me, all the time: "the junkies have screwed it up for the people who really need pain medicine." I guess they are right.
Please reply. I would love to hear your side of the story.
Thank you.
One objective of additional screening is to stop discrimination by getting pain meds to those who live with chronic pain while urine and written tests validate their need.

One other objective is to reduce the number of addicts who are abusing prescription meds so their abuse does not prevent others who really need the pain control.

Bastrop, TX

#30 Jan 4, 2011
So let me get this straight. When you say,"One other objective is to reduce the number of addicts who are abusing prescription meds so their abuse does not prevent others who really need the pain control."it's no different than your saying,pretty much everyone who has been taking these types of pain killers, for more than a short period of time,should now be considered an addict,by the state. We should all line up and get our large red A,to be wore and always showing, whenever we're in public. We next must be required to be classified as to whether you are an addict who is really in pain or whether you are a addict who is abusing the system. What an Orwellian nightmare. I enjoy being a free American,and I would like to keep it that way. It always starts out with something such as a small group now must pee in the cup,till before you know it, everyone needs to pee in the cup. Who the hell do these people think that are,God. Why keep making our doctors,sick with fear of loosing their jobs,just because they wish to do the job that they were trained to do? How about going after the people who are abusing the system,for real,and stop treating all of us as if we did something wrong. How hard is it to spot someone who's getting hundreds of pills a day,compared to someone who only gets one pill a day. This is just their excuse to get their foot in the door of freedom. Have we come to this,that we must make so many good Americans, who have it so bad already,feel as if they are now second class citizens? As an American,I've learned that we should all stand up for the small group which is unfairly under attack by ours, or any other government. This is clearly, one of those times.

Location hidden

#31 Jan 4, 2011
Little Dam Late now..
methprevention

Oroville, CA

#32 Jan 5, 2011
Surf Fink wrote:
So let me get this straight. When you say,"One other objective is to reduce the number of addicts who are abusing prescription meds so their abuse does not prevent others who really need the pain control."it's no different than your saying,pretty much everyone who has been taking these types of pain killers, for more than a short period of time,should now be considered an addict,by the state. We should all line up and get our large red A,to be wore and always showing, whenever we're in public. We next must be required to be classified as to whether you are an addict who is really in pain or whether you are a addict who is abusing the system. What an Orwellian nightmare. I enjoy being a free American,and I would like to keep it that way. It always starts out with something such as a small group now must pee in the cup,till before you know it, everyone needs to pee in the cup. Who the hell do these people think that are,God. Why keep making our doctors,sick with fear of loosing their jobs,just because they wish to do the job that they were trained to do? How about going after the people who are abusing the system,for real,and stop treating all of us as if we did something wrong. How hard is it to spot someone who's getting hundreds of pills a day,compared to someone who only gets one pill a day. This is just their excuse to get their foot in the door of freedom. Have we come to this,that we must make so many good Americans, who have it so bad already,feel as if they are now second class citizens? As an American,I've learned that we should all stand up for the small group which is unfairly under attack by ours, or any other government. This is clearly, one of those times.
No the state would not be involved in any such accusations regarding who is an addict, but it would give all doctors a much clearer idea of which patients are abusing prescriptions and that is a very good thing.

If you are not abusing your prescriptions you have nothing to worry about, the only reason someone should be worried is if they are abusing their meds.

I guess if you are an addict and feel the need to wear a large red A arm band you can, but that has nothing to do with this legislation.

Doctors currently are supposed to be determining who is abusing their meds or is and addict. Unfortunately they are not using the thorough screening process of pain management specilist and over 14,000 die annually from prescription drug deaths, many adolescents and young adults, talk about a Orwellian nightmare.

This legislation protects the rights of all patients, it keeps all patients safe from unscrupulous doctors and those doctors with lack of education pertaining to addiction and substance abuse prevention regarding scheduled prescription drugs.

If your screening tests come back as they should "proper levels & correct drugs" you have nothing to worry about.

Their is no change in doctor patient confidentiality. It should make it tougher for doctor shopping addicts to get their drugs though, and that is a good thing too. Don't u agree?

Bastrop, TX

#33 Jan 7, 2011
You start off by saying that no state would be involved in this legislation. I have to wonder, who's behind this and where it came from. Then you finish by asking me,if I believe that all your reasons have changed my mind, and now I believe this may be a good thing. I have to tell you the truth,which is that this doesn't help someone like myself and thousands of others. I cannot receive treatment for my chronic pain because I smoke pot and refuse to sigh their contract which states that I will stop. I don't expect someone like yourself to understand,but this is the same to me,as being asked to deny my religion. It would be like asking a Rastafarian to stop smoking. As everyone knows,pot helps with pain and being able to eat. Many state now have legal medical marijuana. If our pain centers are kick people like myself out into the streets,to deal with our pain, than you should understand that by treating an American as something less than a dog,can cause me to have very little faith in being judged again by any of you,ever. I say lets kick Big Brother out onto the streets and get them off the backs of our doctors. People have a right to some privacy. Now we have Big Brother checking our levels of chemicals in our system. I'm sure you believe that this is a good thing,but to me,this is an unbelievable invasion into ones privacy and trying to control the masses.
pissed

Boynton Beach, FL

#34 Jan 7, 2011
Surf Fink wrote:
a free american?...hahahahahahaahhaah ....that is good for a laugh...i needed that!!
methprevention

Oroville, CA

#35 Jan 7, 2011
Surf Fink wrote:
You start off by saying that no state would be involved in this legislation. I have to wonder, who's behind this and where it came from. Then you finish by asking me,if I believe that all your reasons have changed my mind, and now I believe this may be a good thing. I have to tell you the truth,which is that this doesn't help someone like myself and thousands of others. I cannot receive treatment for my chronic pain because I smoke pot and refuse to sigh their contract which states that I will stop. I don't expect someone like yourself to understand,but this is the same to me,as being asked to deny my religion. It would be like asking a Rastafarian to stop smoking. As everyone knows,pot helps with pain and being able to eat. Many state now have legal medical marijuana. If our pain centers are kick people like myself out into the streets,to deal with our pain, than you should understand that by treating an American as something less than a dog,can cause me to have very little faith in being judged again by any of you,ever. I say lets kick Big Brother out onto the streets and get them off the backs of our doctors. People have a right to some privacy. Now we have Big Brother checking our levels of chemicals in our system. I'm sure you believe that this is a good thing,but to me,this is an unbelievable invasion into ones privacy and trying to control the masses.
It is being proposed by Not In Our Town Glenn County a non-profit substance abuse prevention coalition.

Sounds as though your pot smoking relieves your pain so you refuse to meet the criteria for pain meds. If you still smoke pot and still have pain that is all your decision no one else.

If you equate a urine test and written test to ending someones religion, i believe you are a bit confused.

Your issues regarding marijuana use have nothing to do with this legislation.

No ones privacy will be violated, all doctor patient confidentiality will remain the same.
Michelle

Brea, CA

#36 Feb 21, 2011
How hard is it to pee in a cup? I mean really, I have no problem with it or any other laws with pain management BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. Those who cry and moan about it ALWAYS have something to hide. So, just take meds as prescribed and don't self-medicate. THAT SIMPLE.
Michelle

Brea, CA

#37 Feb 21, 2011
And by the way, where did you get you degree in medicine to make you think that you can prescribe yourself 'medical' marijuana? If you are taking it illegally without a prescription, you ARE breaking the law and could and should be in jail for simply obtaining it. Just a thought: self-medicating with ILLEGAL drugs of any kind(including marijuana) equals a drug ABUSER. And you wonder why Pain Management doctors won't help you. I am not saying that you are not in pain, as I have been for a long time from a car accident, but you have a lot to learn. You can get help with pain as long as you obey the law and don't self medicate. You would not be having an issue if you hadn't self-medicated to begin with. Examine your decisions and ACCEPT the COSEQUENCES of them.
max

Ashburn, VA

#39 Feb 22, 2011
I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Vicodin, Valium, xanax) realpills.org I recieved my pills within one week of ordering them.

Bastrop, TX

#40 Feb 24, 2011
My California friend is right on the money when he talks about how the pain experts talk about just what a miracle drug pot is for people like myself,who find themselves in nightmare of having to deal with pain 24/7. Should I just keep my mouth shut and keep this very true fact to myself? Should I just stop smoking because it's against the law or because if I do I can get the same amount of painkillers given to someone who is not breaking the law? Perhaps I should,but the truth is,I refuse to do this because someone like myself understands that the pain experts are forced to keep quite about the truth. It's very true that pot would be a much better choice than having the opiate monkey on your back for life. So am I to say nothing when I see that so many of my brothers and sisters are being herded up like cattle and being put on opiates and always making sure that they haven't smoked any pot. I'm sure that our medical pain experts understand that pot can help a great deal in dealing with pain. I understand that they feel that they must keep quite about pot or they may find themselves being treated like someone like myself. Perhaps you've read some of the comments directed toward me or people like me. There isn't anything that I or anyone else can say to make someone who has such a cold and indifferent heart,change their mind and understand our point of view. Only God can do that. We are always seen as drug addicts who will say anything just to get more drugs. To them,the louder we shout in pain,the bigger the fake we are seen as. I'm sure there are some who will fake,but what about the many more who must live in very real pain everyday? Why are we being treated like drug addicts who only pretend to be in pain? There is nothing we can say because we are now second class citizens who have no voice. We are the people who will always be the hated enemy on their, "war on drugs." War and hate is all they understand. Allowing someone in pain something that can help them,is something that cannot be understood by people like this. I've been battling with these kinds of people from 1968 and will keep fighting them till they pry my cold dead hands from my bong.
INPAINTOO

Cape Coral, FL

#42 Jan 15, 2014
I HAD LONG CONVERSATION WITH MY DR YESTERDAY TALKING ABOUT THE PROPOSED MEDICAL MARIJUANA LAW AND HE SAID IF IT PASSES HE WILL HAVE TO OFFER PATIENTS, WHO CHOOSE TO USE CANNABIS, NON-NARCODIC MEDICATION BECAUSE OF FEDERAL LAW AND DEA REGULATIONS. HE IS ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED PAIN MANAGEMENT MD'S IN THE AREA AND ALSO SAID THAT THE AMA REFUSES TO TAKE ANY MEANINGFUL POSITION ON CANNABIS. WE, LEGITIMATE PAIN PATIENTS, NEED FOR MEDICAL MARIJUANA PROFITEERS TO HIRE THE BEST LOBBYING FIRMS IN WASHINGTON TO GET THE LAWS CHANGED REGARDING CANNABIS
ya but

United States

#43 Jan 16, 2014
syper 1961,,,,I guess you are dead with an OD since we have not heard from your junkie ass,,,,So sick of fools like you and their complaints about pain doc.s ...always an excuse and other BS,,

Ya but,,,,,over and out

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Safety Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Urban Survival Gear LLC Launches Based On Lates... Aug 28 David 1
Areas to avoid in Clearwater (Jul '10) Aug 28 Mike 69
Does anyone know what happened to Ron Henry Mor... (May '14) Aug 28 Frank Gannucci 4
Review: Clearwater Bankruptcy Aug 27 Lourdes456 1
Review: 10 Minute Locksmith (Oct '14) Aug 24 Raylin Sutter 4
Review: North American Maintenance Company Inc Aug '15 Betterhones 1
News Authorities target kratom as herbal supplement ... Mar '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Safety Harbor Mortgages