Volunteers come together to help Fill...

Volunteers come together to help Fill A Heart

There are 5 comments on the WTSP Tampa Bay story from Feb 10, 2008, titled Volunteers come together to help Fill A Heart. In it, WTSP Tampa Bay reports that:

Safety Harbor, Florida We have a story about a group of volunteers who are hoping to make a difference for breast cancer survivors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTSP Tampa Bay.

Laurie Anderson

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1 Feb 12, 2008
Many girl scouts in the area have been making the breast cancer pillows for the "Fill-A-Heart" Group.Girls of all ages from first graders to high school age have participated. As Laura Cordiviola said, we have all been touched in some way by cancer/breast cancer. My own mother had breast cancer at the age of 34, and passed away 23 years ago at the age of 46. I have been the leader of a Cadette Girl Scout Troop for 9 years. My girls made these pillows about 6 years ago and then we passed the idea on to other girl scouts. The good news just keeps spreading! Laura welcomed some Brownie and Junior Girl Scouts to the hospital with such fanfare that the leader was very impressed. The girls enjoy doing a "good turn". Thanks for telling the story of this wonderful group!
Marianna

Tampa, FL

#2 Feb 17, 2008
Thank You
Laura Cordiviola

Tampa, FL

#3 Feb 17, 2008
I want to share a little more of the story………

In April of 2007 I was with a friend when she went through breast surgery. When she woke from anesthesia one of her first comments to me was “Oh look I got my heart pillow”. She knew of the comfort it would bring her while sleeping or watching TV because her own mother had received one several months earlier. They said it was just the right shape and size to alleviate some of the post-surgical discomfort. It not only aided in the healing process, but they believe it has given them a sense of caring above and beyond on the part of the hospital and its staff. Knowing that I like to sew my friend told me that if I ever wanted to sew for a good cause the heart pillow was the perfect choice. Only a few minutes later when Nurse Paulet came into the room and was thanked for the pillow she told us that it was the last one because the woman who made them had moved. All eyes turned to me and within two weeks I was sewing heart pillows at home with my friend Sandy beside me stuffing.

The program was originally started by a breast cancer survivor in 2002. In September of 2007, Nurse Julie of the OR made the suggestion to bring the project into the hospital. Our Fill-A-Heart group is now part of a partnership service with Morton Plant Mease Cancer Patient Support Services (CaPSS) and the Auxiliary of Mease Health Care. Auxiliary volunteers sew the pillows together, and cancer patients, survivors, caregivers and community members come in and stuff (fill) the pillows. Some have shared that it is therapeutic just coming to the gatherings. It helps them to feel that they are not alone and that others are recovering and surviving. As for me, I feel not only are we filling heart pillows, literally, but we are filling hearts emotionally and it feels good to be involved in creating something meaningful for others.

Thank you Paulet and Julie for bringing us all together!
Sandy Smith

Sarasota, FL

#4 Feb 18, 2008
Since becoming involved with the Fill-A-Heart(FAH) group a void has been filled in my life. Not only is it rewarding to know that something I'm involved with is touching the lives of so many people, but I myself have been touched by the Cancer Patient Support Services(CaPSS)program which offers continued support to cancer survivors, like myself, and their families and friends. Had I not been involved with FAH I would probably have never learned about CaPSS. It's a terrific service!! I definately recommend that if you or someone you know has been diagnosed with cancer, you contact CaPSS, it can change your life.
Patti from Coral Springs

United States

#5 Mar 2, 2008
I was happy to read the Fill a Heart story. How wonderful that these volunteers truly "act from the heart" by providing comfort for those who are suffering from Breast Cancer. The heart pillows are a not only great symbol of caring but functional in their use. Keep up the great work!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Safety Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump Deflection tactics again 16 hr Roger 1
News Gorilla Rep to Train This Summer for Potential ... (Apr '13) Dec 14 kushner yidfellas 2
Help For A Family In Need Dec 3 sweetsarah 1
News Ban on dogs to benefit beach's birds (May '09) Nov 28 ShoreFL 3
News Safety Harbor residents offer 'do' and 'don't' ... Oct '17 janlydon 1
News A fixture for 60 years, the Safety Harbor Post ... (May '17) May '17 AmyBryant 2
News ECHO Realty is spending $600,000 to rebrand Par... (Nov '16) Nov '16 fred 1

Safety Harbor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Safety Harbor Mortgages