Biomass project meeting draws a skept...

Biomass project meeting draws a skeptical throng

There are 49 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Sep 26, 2010, titled Biomass project meeting draws a skeptical throng. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

About 100 people gathered for three hours on Saturday in the grandstand of the former Green Mountain Race Track to hear from developers of a proposed 29-megawatt biomass power generation and wood pellet manufacturing facility, and to ask questions of their own.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Biomass Info Reader

South Hadley, MA

#1 Sep 27, 2010
The information offered by the developer should not taken at face value. They are intent on making a lot of money off this burner ASAP. These incinerators are frequently sold, new owners won't necessarily be bound by ANY promises. Leases and permits are renegotiated. Please don't think that government air pollution standards will protect your health!

Emero and Bousquet are keeping their pollution numbers close to their chest because they know they're scary. I found the following numbers for a "state of the art" 29 megawatt biomass burner on a permit that another developer submitted to New Hampshire on 9/17/09:

29 Megawatt Biomass Pollutant Emission in TONS PER YEAR

Particulate Matter---51.25
SO2----------0.51
NOx----------111.00
CO----------247.70
VOCs----------29.00
Ammonia----------19.53

(From: http://www2.des.state.nh.us/OneStopPub/Air/33... )
Not so sure

Harwich, MA

#2 Sep 27, 2010
Permits stay with a project; not a project owner. Make sure that the permit is written properly and you'll be fine.

All of these nasty chemicals are in trees? We shouldn't allow the darn things to grow if that's the case
Bandit

Bennington, VT

#3 Sep 27, 2010
People in Pownal still burn wood as they say a plant will be a problem.
Kim

Bennington, VT

#4 Sep 27, 2010
As big an issue as the burning will be the 96 diesel trucks spewing an as yet undetermined amount of fumes in a valley where on a cloudy day it will just sit there. No one seems to want to address that. 50 jobs is not worth the health risks, period. We all want jobs, growth and prosperity but not if it will harm the residents.
Chris

Wellfleet, MA

#5 Sep 27, 2010
With regard to the comments about wood burning (Not So Sure and Bandit), remember that most homeowners burn seasoned (dry) hardwood, which anyone who cleans chimneys for a living can tell you burns much cleaner that wet pine. The VOCs (volatile organic compounds) listed by Biomass Info Reader are likely coming from the resins in the pine and other softwoods and the green tops. The ammonia is probably from the scrubbers, not from the wood itself.

Burning any wood, including in woodstoves and fireplaces, is bad for the air. The sheer quantity of green wood that would be burned by a 29 MW power plant (probably on the order of 15 cords an hour for a plant of this size) is what is at issue. And the tall smokestack doesn't make the pollutants disappear, it just sends them a little further away.

I agree with Kim. In a bad economy when so many families are hurting, it's tempting to ignore health risk in favor of jobs. But it isn't good in the long run.
right minded

Bennington, VT

#6 Sep 27, 2010
Pownal residents worried about a Biomass project that may cause pollution? Have Pownal residents looked in there back yard (or front yard)?_Taking a drive down rt7 in pownal is like driving thru a junk yard and a trailer trash city-sorry folks if you are worried about the harmful effects of pollutants on kids, it has already happened, drive thru Alta gardens and take a good look at the kids!!
sorry beaverwood

Bennington, VT

#7 Sep 27, 2010
There were 4 people that were Pro Wood there.

The guy that got up and told everyone they were selfish for considering their property values when forming an opinion.

Selfish, he said. He told everyone to stop with the ME ME ME.

He was a Logger, and this company would pay him.

He told 99% of the crowd to not be selfish, and topped it off with pure selfishness. Hello? Amazingly, his wife, and their dads' agreed.

At least we got some humor out of this.

I was sitting close to the front, and I do feel for the people in the back. It was very difficult to hear anything.

Regardless, it was 98-99% against BW Energy.
Alyce Marie

Rhinebeck, NY

#8 Sep 27, 2010
OK.........everybody, I DARE you all to stop using electricity & buying fuel oil for one winter season....we'll all burn wood for heat, cooking & use candles for lighting, see how you like that; because that is what will happen in about 40 or 50 yrs.(or sooner) to our children if we don't address these issues NOW!
weather01089

Westfield, MA

#9 Sep 27, 2010
Alyce Marie wrote:
OK.........everybody, I DARE you all to stop using electricity & buying fuel oil for one winter season....we'll all burn wood for heat, cooking & use candles for lighting, see how you like that; because that is what will happen in about 40 or 50 yrs.(or sooner) to our children if we don't address these issues NOW!
Ahh more biomass industry talk!

They say they burn only "low grade junk wood" in their propoganda in Mass also, but lo and behold, in the Russell MA plants permit, the PRIMARY source of wood is "whole trees". After all the claims made by them they dont burn them! Look at the huge pile of trees at the Burlington plant.

Look past all this industry propoganda. These things are horrible polluters and arent worth the health compromises.
Alyce Marie

Adams, MA

#10 Sep 27, 2010
DO NOT LET THIS GARBAGE IN YOUR TOWN. I WOULD NOT WANT IN MINE
SPARKPLUG

Pittsfield, MA

#11 Sep 27, 2010
Alyce Marie wrote:
DO NOT LET THIS GARBAGE IN YOUR TOWN. I WOULD NOT WANT IN MINE
THANK YOU!!But you know what,it will be in your town!!Half of these trucks will be coming thru your town then back thru after they unload,thats lots of big ol' 18 wheelers!Any of the garbage from the stacks that don't settle in our valley will get blown towards you so close your windows and keep your children in the house.
joe finn

Lindenhurst, NY

#12 Sep 27, 2010
Interesting how everyone else not living Pownal knows what is best for Pownal. Let's see what the facts are then decide.
curiousgt

Rutland, VT

#13 Sep 27, 2010
Well folks, isn't that why the biomass plant in
St. Albans closed just recently. Lack of interest.
Alyce Marie

Adams, MA

#14 Sep 27, 2010
joe finn wrote:
Interesting how everyone else not living Pownal knows what is best for Pownal. Let's see what the facts are then decide.
With all due respect, Mr. Finn, 99% of the people at the meeting made it clear they don't want this in Pownal. Those were the residents.

Tom, I know you are reading this, and Joe Finn may actually be you.

It's quite clear that the people of the town do not want your company. I know that doesn't matter to you, but it should. Just saying..
joe finn

Lindenhurst, NY

#15 Sep 27, 2010
Hi Alyce Marie. I'm not Tom. I have a place in VT. I like reading the Banner. I also enjoy reading facts as well as opinions. Even yours.
questions remain

Bennington, VT

#16 Sep 27, 2010
joe finn wrote:
Beaver Wood Energy set up this "meeting." They sent flyers to everyone in Pownal, and arranged it all. Yet, they didn't have all their information. They presented air studies from Rutland, but not from Pownal. They couldn't give emissions numbers, and hedged on answers to many other questions. The number of trucks per day is constantly changing. Their reason why? A whining "We only had two weeks to prepare for this meeting." They were the ones who arranged it, I'm sorry, they should have been ready. Not a way to engender public trust, I'm afraid. I wouldn't want these guys setting up any business in Pownal. A biomass plant? Downright scary.
Josh Schlossberg

Nashua, NH

#17 Sep 27, 2010
Massachusetts is paying attention to common sense and the most recent science and starting to discourage biomass incineration in their state. Now the out of state developers want to come into Vermont and see if they can set up shop here.

We Vermonters already have 2 polluting, tree-burning, large scale, electricity generating biomass incinerators in the state, we don't need any more. What we need is to greatly ramp up efficiency and conservation efforts--providing jobs and saving money--and invest in zero-waste, zero-emission, appropriately scaled, community supported clean renewable energy like solar, wind and microhydro.
Hmmmmm

South Burlington, VT

#18 Sep 27, 2010
http://www.mpbn.net/News/MaineNewsArchive/tab...

Follow the link provided above. Perhaps this is why they're moving to Pownal, Vermont? Looks like Maine has had it with biomass air pollution.

And here's Tom Emero's testimony which he gave in Maine in OPPOSITION to an Amendment of LD 141, "An Act to Ensure Proper Disposal and Protect the Environment".

http://maine.gov/dep/rwm/solidwaste/blueribbo...

More research is needed.
joe finn

Lindenhurst, NY

#19 Sep 27, 2010
You are saying (and I'm paraphrasing) "questions remain" I'm saying; "Let's get the answers."
ShadyIndeed

Williamstown, MA

#20 Sep 27, 2010
Hmmmmm wrote:
http://www.mpbn.net/News/Maine NewsArchive/tabid/181/ctl/View Item/mid/3475/ItemId/13507/Def ault.aspx
Follow the link provided above. Perhaps this is why they're moving to Pownal, Vermont? Looks like Maine has had it with biomass air pollution.
And here's Tom Emero's testimony which he gave in Maine in OPPOSITION to an Amendment of LD 141, "An Act to Ensure Proper Disposal and Protect the Environment".
http://maine.gov/dep/rwm/solidwaste/blueribbo...
More research is needed.
Thanks for the information. And look what might be next up for the Pownal Energy Park (Cadillac, Michigan, another Emero venture): http://www.mlui.org/landwater/fullarticle.asp...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rutland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A scandal deferred (Apr '06) Jun 20 Frank Hash 23
News Police: Man masturbating on the side of road Jun 19 Elmer 11
News Remaking Rutland with Refugees Jun 5 THE NEW ROAD 1
Town Hall Meeting---The People Won ! Feb '16 WATCHDOG 1
Debate: Marijuana - Center Rutland, VT (Sep '10) Jan '16 SNOOPLION 2
News Man accuses judge of extortion, theft (Apr '09) Jan '16 Anonymous two 31
News $1.9M heist still unsolved (Jan '10) Dec '15 cops are psychopaths 31
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rutland Mortgages