North Adams Cinema closes

North Adams Cinema closes

There are 12 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Oct 13, 2009, titled North Adams Cinema closes. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Signs on the doors of the North Adams Movieplex 8 in Steeple City Plaza say it's temporarily closed, and when the eight-screen movie house reopens in the coming weeks, it's expected to be under new ownership.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

Truthsayer

Wynantskill, NY

#1 Oct 14, 2009
It's unfortunate that this occurred, and certainly, it's a combination of the economy and poor management.

While I don't blame Barrett for the closing, I have a problem with how he handled it. This one-man, "I AM the mayor and I AM the government" has got to stop. If he knew last week as he claims, he should have had the courtesy to give us a heads-up. It makes me wonder how many other projects are dead or businesses are going out that he knows about, but won't reveal because of both this attitude of his and the fact this is an election cycle.

“Everything is local”

Since: Apr 08

Great Barrington, MA

#2 Oct 14, 2009
Well at least the citizens of Berkshire County will have the Beacon Theater to satisfy their film needs.
hrh

Schenectady, NY

#3 Oct 14, 2009
Truthsayer wrote:
It's unfortunate that this occurred, and certainly, it's a combination of the economy and poor management.
While I don't blame Barrett for the closing, I have a problem with how he handled it. This one-man, "I AM the mayor and I AM the government" has got to stop. If he knew last week as he claims, he should have had the courtesy to give us a heads-up. It makes me wonder how many other projects are dead or businesses are going out that he knows about, but won't reveal because of both this attitude of his and the fact this is an election cycle.
You say you don't blame the Mayor, and then you go right into lambasting him for this. This situation wouldn't be any different if Barrett were not Mayor. The entire chain shut down. What did you expect Barrett to do? Send you a personal note telling you that the cinemas would be closing? Make a public announcement? That's not what a Mayor does. He did the right thing. He talked to the plaza's owner about what was happening, discussed what was going to take place when Ellis was able to get the cinema back open, and he credited Ellis for the work he's done and the money he's invested.
Alcombright hypocrites

Clockville, NY

#4 Oct 14, 2009
Hey truthsayer -

What is it with you Alcombright supporters?

You know the cinema closing isn't Barrett's fault - that's impossible to lay at his door because the whole chain folded - but you hate the mayor so much that you're willing to give it a try, right?

Since: Jan 09

Adams, MA

#5 Oct 14, 2009
Really bodes well for the new albatross, I mean Beacon Cinema, on North St. in Pittsfield.
Drive-In Lover

AOL

#6 Oct 14, 2009
Downtown Pittsfield will more than likely not profit with the opening of the Beacon. North St. had several movie theaters at one time, and they all closed too. The taxes from POPCORN aren't going to amount to a bucketful of ****.

Since: Jan 09

Adams, MA

#7 Oct 14, 2009
JIMMY G PITTSFIELD MA wrote:
Really bodes well for the new albatross, I mean Beacon Cinema, on North St. in Pittsfield.
According to mayor runerto, the Colonial and Barrington already bring 350,000 to North St. every year, and the new enima,oops, I mean cinema, is going to bring another 250,000 there. This guy has visions, I wonder what he takes to have them.(I know I mis-spelled enema.)
kevin

Clockville, NY

#8 Oct 14, 2009
Drive-In Lover wrote:
Downtown Pittsfield will more than likely not profit with the opening of the Beacon. North St. had several movie theaters at one time, and they all closed too. The taxes from POPCORN aren't going to amount to a bucketful of ****.
I would love to see a drive in reopen locally.Some of my best times were at Hoosic and Couries .Good memories
updown123

Clifton Park, NY

#9 Oct 14, 2009
The next to close is Planet Fittnes. Thier membership is dropping fast.
HellerClimateRef ugee

Rockville, MD

#10 Oct 14, 2009
JIMMY G PITTSFIELD MA wrote:
Really bodes well for the new albatross, I mean Beacon Cinema, on North St. in Pittsfield.
No doubt James Ruberto is thinking the same thing.
If Beacon Cinema goes belly-up in the first year, what approximately would be the total loss?
Or alternatively, how much of a loss would Beacon have to take that first year to go belly up?
Lastly, if Beacon did go belly-up, would The Berkshire Eagle bother to report on it?(Especially since The Eagle didn't see fit to report til today on just who the real owners have been on the Brodie Mountain wind turbine project.)
kevin

Clockville, NY

#11 Oct 14, 2009
updown123 wrote:
The next to close is Planet Fittnes. Thier membership is dropping fast.
Then Olympia
HellerClimateRef ugee

Rockville, MD

#12 Oct 14, 2009
And only then in the last couple paragraphs of a related story having to do with the wind turbine project's being temporarily halted by a Land Court Judge.
Watch for a federal Judge to overturn that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rutland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jogger's murder has others rethinking their rou... Aug 14 Momma 2
Dan Kirouac and Steve Kirouac return to Val's Jul 29 New England Music... 1
looking for a friend (Feb '07) Jul '16 Mike Amboy 2
Beatles For Sale returns to Oakham Jul '16 New England Music... 1
Beatles For Sale returning to Holden Jul '16 New England Music... 1
Beatles For Sale: The Tribute - live in Paxton Jun '16 New England Music... 1
Dan Kirouac returns to Val's - June 24th Jun '16 New England Music... 1

Rutland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rutland Mortgages