Concerned parent

Shelby, NC

#1 Nov 16, 2008
The games are with Chase Youth Football, RS Youth Football Association and Forest City Youth Football. We are ages 5-12. In the past we split the games between RS and Chase, but this year Forest City joined with us. Our leagues depend on the gate fees and monies from concession sells to be able to continue. We do not "cut" players,anyone who signs up plays and we NEVER turn away anyone for inability to pay. However this could be our last year.

The playoffs will be this coming Saturday, Nov. 15, at RS. After this game, we have been told that we would no longer be able to use the football field at RS. We have always had trouble with cancellations with them. We have had Saturday games canceled due to rain on Thursday morning. This year they charged the RSYFCA 100.00 per Saturday. That is a lot of money for a nonprofit that spends so much on the kids. So far Chase has been wonderful. We were told that we would be allowed to use the field next year, but if RS does this, whats to stop them?

Studies have shown that children who are involved in team sports have better grades, are healthier, and have less behavior problems. We also "feed" into the high schools. Anyone within the school system will tell you that football brings more money in than all other activities. From flag at 5 through tackle at 12, we teach them the basics plays, good sportsmanship and work ethic. What will the high schools do when they have to take kids who have only played in their backyards and watched from the stands or on TV? Also, without organizations like ours, who is to guarantee that they will even be interested?

This year we felt the pinch with the economy. Parents were having a tough time with registration fees. Now we have to fight the battle with the more recent plant closings. We are already seeing this in our concession sells. Parents are having a tough time going to games, but if people in the RS district have to travel to Chase or East 3-4 times a week for practice, it will not be possible. I know that I would not be able to travel to RS for this.

Having a child that plays football, I guess that I do have a stake in this. The board members for these organiztions work year round to make sure the kids have every thing they need to learn and love the game. I know that Chase has about 150 kids between football and cheerleaders. What will they do? I also wonder will happen to Football Friday Nights in Rutherford County in a few years due to this.
Anyone who reads this and cares about the future of our kids, please contact your city council board of education board members. The schools belong to the taxpayers. It's sad that the future of youth football in rutherford county is going to have to suffer because of the few RS high school elites that belive their field, the "PALACE" is to good for our youth.
Parent-Coach

Rutherfordton, NC

#2 Nov 21, 2008
I just heard about this unfortunate decision today. The Rutherfordton Raiders have also been served an eviction notice from the Palace.
I don't have a clue as to why, but the decision(s) have been made. It's disappointing, but we've got to find a new place to hang our helmets.
Tracy Moore RSYFCA

United States

#3 Nov 22, 2008
Parent, no we dont need to find somewhere else, we need to fight this and we are in the process of doing so. Mr.Davis has no right banning our children from a field that we tax payers are funding. SEnd your letters to the board of education, town council, and news media. together we will win this. Mr.Davis has bit off more than he can chew this time. If nothing is done to over rule his decision, We will remember this come election time. You can spit on me, curse me, or do anything to me you want , but when you mess with our kids, be ready to fight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rutherfordton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Walmart chicks Nov 15 Poomba 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in North Caro... (Oct '10) Nov '16 404 error 34
Vote for Donald JTrump Oct '16 MAGA 1
News 2 dead, 2 injured in weekend shootings (May '06) Oct '16 ping ping ping 2
Walmart parking lot sex Sep '16 Poomba 1
looking for siblings with last name Grace Sep '16 connie Liverett 1
Red Raven/Heather Works (Apr '13) Aug '16 Jess 9

Rutherfordton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rutherfordton Mortgages