The Good News about Lake Land 'Or

Posted in the Ruther Glen Forum

DCMike

United States

#1 Apr 3, 2011
I fear that I've presented myself as a perpetual naysayer about Lake Land 'Or. And while I admittedly have dedicated recent posts to complaints about life at LL'Or, I'd like to take this time to note what I believe to be genuine and very encouraging developments, initiated by the new management. It seems that the new LL'Or HOA leadership is making a visible effort to be more engaged with the residents and more responsive to residents' concerns. Even the latest newsletter was filled with useful information and heartfelt passages about intentions to better life at LL'Or. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised that we actually had a reason to read the newsletter! And of course, the recent news about Comcast coming to the area only served to sweeten the perceived new dawn in LL'Or. In short: my hat is off to the HOA at present, and I sincerely hope that the trend continues.
Jean M

United States

#2 Apr 4, 2011
I agree that there seems to be more interest by the board about the residents. My sister and bro.inlaw wanted to purchase in here (I'm on the heritage side), but between the $1500 new resident fee, the $900 yearly HOA dues and $150+ mo water bill, they bought in another neighborhood. I wish the board would reconsider the new resident fee and how much that adds to a persons expenses.
Let them eat cake

AOL

#3 Apr 7, 2011
The Board at Lake Caroline are narrow minded and destroying this community! They raised the dues to $1150 (an increase of almost $200 a year in a recession!), with budget line items such as an increase in administrative salaries by $50,000 that no one could explain (no raises, no new employees, yet $50,000 more). With the foreclosure rate, they're trying to turn this into a ghost town for the rich and infamous!
possible buyer

Fredericksburg, VA

#4 Apr 10, 2011
What is this new resident fee? Do you like it there? is it worth the high HOA dues?
Jean M wrote:
I agree that there seems to be more interest by the board about the residents. My sister and bro.inlaw wanted to purchase in here (I'm on the heritage side), but between the $1500 new resident fee, the $900 yearly HOA dues and $150+ mo water bill, they bought in another neighborhood. I wish the board would reconsider the new resident fee and how much that adds to a persons expenses.
Jean M

United States

#5 Apr 11, 2011
The new resident fee is what the board calls a transfer fee. I don't know what that means. So to move into Lake land'or you've got to pay the 1500.00 move in fee and then your dues are 900 a year in addition to that. No the fees are not worth the amenities which basically is a pool. This is a private gated community which has its own security but there is way too much crime.
Lake caroline has a transfer fee too but I don't know what it is. Their dues were just raised quite a bit according to my neighbor.
LORD LANDOR

Richmond, VA

#6 Apr 12, 2011
@Jean how do you know there is too much crime? I have lived here six years and there is the same amount of crime as is in any neighborhood. There are several sheriffs that live in the nieghbor hood. However there is more problems on the Heritage side as there are more renters. The fees are actually not bad as fees go. They include the maint. of beach,two pools,twelve ponds,three playgrounds,roads,ditches,two dams,primitive camp ground, boat docks,two clubhouses,eight events,gym,tennis courts,two basketball courts,football/soccer field. So it isnt just basically a pool. I am not saying that lake landor is the best but when telling someone about the place dont just say hey they got a pool thats it. See possible buyer I will tell you what we do have here A LOT OF BELLY ACHERS!!! People who complain but do nothing or dont even live here. The same people that naysay are the ones who throw their trash on the ground. So make your own decision on where ti purchase but come look. Dont believe the hype!
Krissie

United States

#7 Apr 19, 2011
I love living here. My family and I have lived here for about 4 years now. We are actively involved in HOA meetings and committees, my kids participate in community functions such as the Christmas party, upcoming Easter egg hunt, yard sale, teen swim, etc. It is what you make of it. There are alot of nice neighbors who watch out for each other on my street. We've not personally experienced any crime, but any place that has kids will have crime. Period. Those fees are assessed because this is an HOA with an annual operating budget, and just like any other business they look for ways to raise additional funds. If you are buying a home for $150,000, what is $1,500 more? You roll it into the mortgage anyway. It is a one-time charge. And the $900 yearly fees can now be paid on a monthly basis throughout the year. The Board was considering people's expenses when they passed that motion. Enjoy your life, and make the most of it. Stop griping.
Celticheart

Gloucester, VA

#8 Aug 3, 2012
I have lived here almost 4 years my boyfriend lived here longer ... I think the people are unfriendly and nose and don't have anything do with you... They let their kids run wildly turn their dogs out and let them run freely...It cost to much live here the gate is joke ... Have security guard for what we had a problem called security they said the send some one we wait in 11:00 pm no showed hated if we was been killed or some thing... Where we live in Land OR Dr there more house empty then been lived in.. There people going around looking in people windows ...You Can't go out your front door with out some one walk and staring at you...
Cant handle the truth

Richmond, VA

#9 Aug 6, 2012
Celticheart you are so full of $*&*. You must dress up in Harry potter garb and pretend you are being chased by Voldemort. There isnt any stuck up people just people trying to get by. The people looking in the windows are people trying to clean the irresponsible idiots mess up. When you walk away from a house doesnt just hurt your credit it leaves people that have to clean their mess up. So thats what they are doing to help. If you dont like it get involved! If security sucks get involved! Dont complain! Be part of the solution!
Erica

Ruther Glen, VA

#10 Apr 11, 2013
I just purchased a home on the Land Or portion of the community. I'm wondering if the water issue has been resolved?
Sue

Hyattsville, MD

#11 Apr 13, 2013
Are you speaking about the water/sewer bills? If so, it's only an issue on the heritage side. Avg. water/sewer bill for a family of 4 is 180.00. On the land or side, it's water and septic. bills are reasonable at around 45.00 a mo.
Tal

Ashland, VA

#12 Apr 16, 2013
I wish my water bill was that cheap. Don't buy on the heritage side.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ruther Glen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Thornburg Auto & Truck Repair Oct 20 gary 1
Kelci Filback (Nov '11) Oct 15 Thats right 6
I'm about to me to Lake Land Or am I stupid? (Apr '08) Oct 15 NEVER AGAIN 52
I hate Caroline County (Jan '07) Oct 8 ihateyou 138
recommended powerwashing companies Oct 6 DCMike 1
Any T-Mobile Users ? Sep 27 Hopethishelps 3
Durrette Road Sep '14 ticked 3
Ruther Glen Dating
Find my Match

Ruther Glen Jobs