Fire/Rescue Positions being cut

Posted in the Ruther Glen Forum

concerned

Deltaville, VA

#1 Feb 29, 2012
Anyone know if there is any truth to the rumur that the proposed budget for next year is going to lay off 5 of the firefigther/paramedics in the County.
I hear that would take all the staffing out of the fire stations during the daytime. Just yesterday, I heard it took over 30 minutes for an ambulance to get to Frog Level during a sturcture fire. That department is already running seriously low on staffing during the daytime. The Volunteers assist at night, but during the daytime, staffing can be a huge concern.
Any truth to these rumors?
Ben Franklin

Richmond, VA

#2 Apr 3, 2012
The funding for the positions was paid for by a grant. That grant funding has ran out. We are 100 million in debt and just cant afford to take the burden on. Tough times call for tough measures.
ivnws4u

Fredericksburg, VA

#3 Apr 4, 2012
I guess I better be sure there are no leaks in my garden hose.
lame

United States

#4 Apr 4, 2012
I experienced a 25 minute wait for an ambulance in Ladysmith... It took so long, because the ambulance came from Frog Level, since no volunteers were at the Ladysmith Rescue Squad.

That should never happen. You live only a couple miles from a rescue squad, you'd expect them to arrive quickly in case of an emergency!
Lake Lan Or Jock

Gloucester, VA

#5 Apr 5, 2012
ivnws4u there are a TON of leaks in yourhose
ivnws4u

Fredericksburg, VA

#6 Apr 6, 2012
RE: lame, the problem is when one rescue squad has to take a patient to the hospital or is on another call another has to fill-in like Frog level or Upper Caroline, etc. Ladysmith gets the most calls because of population density and I-95. Ideally Ladysmith would be double staffed to handle the load or a new rescue station established in Carmel Church as that area grows.
concerned

Colonial Beach, VA

#7 Apr 6, 2012
career staff is running over 80% of the ems calls. The budget cuts are gonna reduce the staffing of one of the ambulances also. Tell your Board of Supervisor NOT to cut public safety!
just the facts maam

Ashland, VA

#8 Apr 7, 2012
On the bright side, you can just drive yourself to the new YMCA for some first aide!
Jellybean

Aylett, VA

#9 Apr 7, 2012
just the facts maam wrote:
On the bright side, you can just drive yourself to the new YMCA for some first aide!
true
Jellybean

Aylett, VA

#10 Apr 7, 2012
ivnws4u wrote:
RE: lame, the problem is when one rescue squad has to take a patient to the hospital or is on another call another has to fill-in like Frog level or Upper Caroline, etc. Ladysmith gets the most calls because of population density and I-95. Ideally Ladysmith would be double staffed to handle the load or a new rescue station established in Carmel Church as that area grows.
We need to staff/supply the squads we already have before we begin building another. Perhaps we should have considered the Carmel Church squad before we had the brilliant idea of building the "visitors center" that has no visitors and can't afford to staff
Speak Up

Irvington, VA

#11 Apr 7, 2012
You need to speak up now! From the sounds of it, the Board has NO plans to fund these positions. If they leave October 1st, or worse, they leave now and find other jobs and then the Board continues the hiring freeze, WE ARE NOT SAFE! The new Fire Chiefs article Wednesday was pretty clear he is going to give the Board what they ask for. Reduce the staffing and he will close 3 fire stations and a medic unit!
Jellybean

Greensburg, PA

#12 Apr 7, 2012
So where is all the money going? The schools have to fight for every penny, the first responders are now being cut......what's going on? I would suggest closing visitors center (or staffing with volunteers),eliminating nonessential positions at the CCSO and I would not have appointed a new county administrator (hasn't Mr. Partin handled this position since the departure of Mr. Ashcraft?)and now our taxes are going up, why? The county isn't offering us anything. We are scraping by with the schools and now if we have an emergency, we may not receive help.
Ben Franklin

Richmond, VA

#13 Apr 9, 2012
Jellybelly,
The taxes are going up becauuse we spent too much money when things were good. We now are in the process of paying back our debt. This debt is about 100 million dollars. The positions for the firefighters was paid for from a grant and that grant runs out this year. If we take on that burden we put more stress on the glass floor we are standing on. The problem with Caroline is there just isnt a enough money to fund the government as we would like it to run. Now if the taxes were raised with the caveat that we also cut some spending at every level. We MIGHT be able to start thinking about keeping the positions. The sobering fact that we need to raise taxes or cut some positions is one not well taken. No one wants to eliminate emergency personnel. At the same time what are we to do. If we raise taxes everyone bellyaches and if we look to cut public safety budgets it is a grand conspiracy to hinder public safety. Every Department should be considering cutting and their shouldnt be any sacred cows.
Jellybean

Leonardtown, MD

#14 Apr 11, 2012
I agree every department should be considered, but let's be real, we all know about waste in every department, now let's have some accountability.
Ben Franklin

Richmond, VA

#15 Apr 12, 2012
I am sure there is some fat that can be cut in the sheriffs department. If you look at the size of our county and examine like counties in the state of Virginia we are a bit bloated. The arguement has been made that we would be putting public safety at risk. In the last few years most counties have been downsizing and running leaner in order to keep these services. The fear factor which is always brought out to make the population scared and afraid is false. We in Caroline have hired more deputies,increased our staff and yet the crime rate has risen. This isnt something I am making up you to can find these numbers the state of Virginia keeps them on file. The Sheriffs Dept. has been attacking anyone who questions or inquires about their budget. For a canidate that ran on if you need anything call me we can talk about it platform. So why is he so defensive about how he runs things. If it is an open door policy why cant we talk about the budget.
Jellybean

New Kent, VA

#16 Apr 13, 2012
Again, I agree. The first department I think of is the Sheriffs department. We have hired all these deputies and have multiple upper management positions in the office. What do they do? I do not see an increased presence of deputies on the roads and certainly do not see them on Rt 207, where they are needed. I keep going back to the Sheriff having a "law enforcement planner" really? And I won't even go into my issue with relatives working in the department....should be a big no no! The BOS need to look into this...and while we are looking into cutting back, how about the School Board looking into how our small county can justify having two asst. superintendents? I say cut whatever we need to cut but we CAN NOT go without fire and rescue.
Ben Franklin

Richmond, VA

#17 Apr 13, 2012
I agree lets all email Lippa and let him know we want evryone to look at their budget. tlippa@co.caroline.va.us
Speak Up

Irvington, VA

#18 Apr 13, 2012
Fire/Rescue is already well below the other departments. Saving these 5 positions is gonna help, but Fire/Rescue services really need to be looked at. Most of the Ambulances in the County are/or will need to be replaced in the next 3 years, along with almost every Fire Trucks. All of the buildings need major renovations or replacing.

These 5 positions only staff 2 fire engines with 2 people each for 12 hours a day and keep 4 medic units on the road rather then 3.

It is a start, but the County really needs to become more responsible with their spending and put an emphesis on Public Safety and education. Those should be the primary services Government offers.
just the facts maam

Ashland, VA

#19 Apr 14, 2012
Lippa has no say in the budget...it is the BOS...they keep throwing away money on YMCAs and profers for projects that never get built, and Ladysmith Village Day, instead of spending the money of the essentials of local government SCHOOLS (did you see the embarassing artricle in the Freelance Star today?) roads and public safety. Stop funding the crap and increase funding where it is needed for all!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ruther Glen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man guilty in beating that caused miscarriage A... Jan 20 big daddy oreo 2
Lake Caroline....?? (May '12) Dec 26 TIC 24
lake caroline news (Nov '09) Dec '14 Parent 14
Former Candidate for the School Board Arrested ... Dec '14 Senate drive 2
need a beautifull zulu woman must be btn 30 -45... Nov '14 Andey 1
Did Lake Land'Or ever get Comcast Broadband? (Jul '14) Nov '14 Matt 5
Curious Nov '14 Curious 1
Ruther Glen Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web