First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ComingYourWay201 1

United States

#21 Jan 26, 2011
Hey all, I did make it out to Ruther Glen last week and it was better than I imagined. Google Earth and Acme Mapper did well but there is nothing like seeing with thine own eyes.

I did not get to go into Lake Caroline or Pendleton. I did go into Belmont all the way to Citation, this is a very nice community. Belmont West I almost missed it. Google Map has it over there by the Value City, however, it's too lonely looking over there for me and the SFH in Belmont are so many but so beautiful.

I went into Lake Land Or (Land Or side) and got to see a bit of the area which is very beautiful. One of the agents made time for me that day so I didn't get to see any other communities/properties. Nevertheless, I have seen enough to make my decision about moving to the county.

No DSL is a painful thought but nor at least having dial-up is downright frightening. It seems no one offers dial-up; I did Live Chat with ATT, Comcast and Verizon, no dial-up. But, I am determined not to let this hold me back. I have my Blackberry and can find places with free Wi-Fi when needed. So, I should hopefully be a neighbor sometime next month.

Both fingers are crossed that something will give soon.
WVa304

Batesville, VA

#22 Jan 26, 2011
Have to weigh in here on the internet issue... We are in the Holly Grove area of Bumpass and are currently using a Sprint 3G/4G mobile broadband card hooked up to a wireless router for internet service. Yes, it is much slower than cable or DSL, but it is MUCH faster upload times and MUCH cheaper than satellite. Data is limited to 5GB, but as long as you are not streaming movies from Netflix or such, 5Gs is sufficient for nearly all internet use (we even use it to connect the Playstation 3 to the internet for online gaming – a little laggy, but serviceable connection speeds). Verizon and all other mobile carriers offer similar plans, often at very attractive prices when you bundle with your phone plan. The other benefit to mobile broadband instead of satellite (besides the cost savings) is that you can carry your internet connection with you if you travel (or if you decide to move back to civilization)!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ruther Glen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Land Or (Jan '16) Sun Miss piggy puppet 4
The Good News about Lake Land 'Or (Apr '11) Sun Miss piggy puppet 26
copper v lippa (Jul '12) Oct '16 Truth 27
Mike Hall chief of police at MWU (Jun '14) Oct '16 Truth seeker 5
Murder For Hire Oct '16 Murder For Hire 1
Ricky's Restaurant Sep '16 WatchfulOwl 1
Heath napier Sep '16 Whit 1

Ruther Glen Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance