First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ComingYourWay201 1

Washington, DC

#1 Dec 31, 2010
Hi all, I am a single professional mid 30's considering moving to Ruther Glen, VA. I'm looking at rentals in Lake Caroline, Lake Land Or, and Belmont West. I really like the lake communities because the pictures look peaceful and I would prefer a SFH. However, reading Topix, there seems to be much controversy (water, POA/HOA, passive security/maintenance teams). I know that communities can't always be a resident's paradise but I can't help but worry if I too will be complaining in a few months. I would really appreciate any advice that can be given to me. Thanks.
Info

Falls Church, VA

#2 Dec 31, 2010
Any POA, HOA where you pays dues, etc. has rules and regulations. Gated is a bit more secure, but you get what you pay for. As a renter, the major association issues, you have no say in. Your landlord does. You will pay rent and maybe some other fees if there is a pool or other amenities needing upkeep. Check out the local real estate agents. They know the areas and it shouldn't cost you anything. As a renter, most things you'd convey to your landlord and have him/her deal with it. No such place as paradise. If there was, we'd all live there! Good luck!
Glen in Ruther

AOL

#3 Dec 31, 2010
If you want high speed internet than you only have the option of Ladysmith Village.
Bailyrosco

King George, VA

#4 Dec 31, 2010
or Pendelton
ComingYourWay201 1

Washington, DC

#5 Jan 1, 2011
Happy New Year everyone and thank you all!!!

Info, good idea! I will look for an area agent. My main concern is that the community services will not be up to par. Then the LLO water meter issue and the LC water well thing. Is either enough of a matter that I shouldn't move there?

Glen and Baily, this never even crossed my mind so I checked both Verizon and AT&T and neither service the area?!?! Does anyone know when DSL is coming? I'm not sure yet if dial-up is a deal breaker. I will check Pendleton but Ladysmith Village is too friendly looking for my taste. Reminds me of "Stars Hollow" (Gilmore Girls).
ComingYourWay201 1

Washington, DC

#6 Jan 1, 2011
http://www.specialcabledeals.com/comcast-cabl...

Three addresses returned service is available. Does anyone use or know of someone who uses "Comcast Caroline County VA High Speed Internet"?
Glen in Ruther

AOL

#7 Jan 1, 2011
There are several threads on www.Fredtalk.com in the Caroline forum. Just be careful, reading that forum will make you run away from Caroline.

http://fredtalk.fredericksburg.com/showflat.p...

or

or

ComingYourWay201 1

Washington, DC

#8 Jan 2, 2011
Thanks again, Glen. It seems that the progress is creeping and depends solely on small franchise companies taking the risk on a small populated county. SMH!
ivnws4u

Fredericksburg, VA

#9 Jan 4, 2011
Forget Comcast high speed Internet, as it doesn't exist out here. if you move into Ladysmith Village they have pretty good service through Verizon. In the Lake Communities, you're on your own on Internet service. I've tried Virginia broadband and that didn't always work, so I got a brodband card for my computer which goes for about $60 a month.
"Info" covered everything else as far as amenities in the lake communities and you should follow their advice.
While I've enjoyed my time here for 20 years, I am of late getting frustrated by the retirees who have deep pockets controlling things and don't take into consideration those of us who still live in reality on a middle income wage.

Since: Jan 08

Ruther Glen, VA

#10 Jan 4, 2011
Ladysmith Village has Comcast Digital Cable (HD tv and high speed internet) as well as Verizon DSL.

There is a really nice looking home for $1250/month on the market now.

As the others have said, if you rent, you shouldn't have to worry as much about the problems in the neighborhood, since you can always just leave after a year.
ComingYourWay201 1

Washington, DC

#11 Jan 4, 2011
Thanks ivnws4u and Eric95 for your feedback.

I think the Comcast area search only focused on zip code. I knew I wasn't discovering something you all hadn't.

Yep, I did see that house and another for $1400. LV is sounding better and better to me but I still have to get out to Caroline County. Hopefully, that will be in the next couple of weeks.
Chris

Irvington, VA

#12 Jan 9, 2011
I for one have been completely impressed with Caroline County. If course, we are a little out of the ordinary in that we want privacy, a country-like setting, no McDonalds up the road to tempt us, etc. We're closing on a foreclosure that we got for a SONG (no joke, we lowballed and were floored they accepted the offer!) tomorrow! I'm so excited! 20 minutes and we're in Fredricksburg with all the "big city" stores. We're on a Sprint 3G unlimited data plan and find our phones have worked well at our new place in Chilesburg, and we can hook those up to our computers for internet access. Best of luck with your search! We're so excited to be joining the good folks there....
ComingYourWay201 1

United States

#13 Jan 12, 2011
Congratulations Chris on your new home. I too like that Fredericksburg and Richmond are 20mins away. I think that tethering is a great idea. How would you rate the connection speed in comparison to DSL or even dial-up?
countryboy804

Raleigh, NC

#14 Jan 13, 2011
ComimgYourWay2011....I live about a half mile from Ladysmith Village and have verizon cell and verizon High speed internet. Both work very well in that area and sure that you would be pleased

Since: Jan 08

Ruther Glen, VA

#15 Jan 13, 2011
Countryboy, you're talking about verizon DSL, right? Or are you using a verizon wireless card?

A lot of people will think you're talking about FIOS if you say that you have Verizon high speed internet... but as far as I know, there is no FIOS in the Ladysmith area.
Ms Deagle

Woodbridge, VA

#16 Jan 13, 2011
Don't do it! don't go anywhere in caroline county!
lanceolot link

Richmond, VA

#17 Jan 14, 2011
deagle,
I have been telling your redneck butt for years to pipe it! THese are grown folks talking!
Chris

Irvington, VA

#18 Jan 14, 2011
Sorry for the delay; we've been working on the house and don't have our computers there yet. Phones obviously aren't ideal for browsing but just jumping on for banking, etc, they have been absolutely wonderful. We'll be getting to the internet thing within a few weeks. Someone suggested satellite but I'm not sure yet...
Chris

Irvington, VA

#19 Jan 14, 2011
PS--We love our neighbors! Everyone has been very kind and helpful; recommended a great chimney sweep, delivered firewood, and jumped the car when the battery went dead. I think we've finally found that sense of community we've missed! I'm gonna have to bake some cookies when we get everything into the house!
countryboy804

Raleigh, NC

#20 Jan 14, 2011
yes eric..it is dsl....and for Deagle..listen to lanceolot link

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ruther Glen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lake caroline news (Nov '09) Dec 15 Ladysmith 13
Former Candidate for the School Board Arrested ... Dec 12 Senate drive 2
Man guilty in beating that caused miscarriage A... Dec 3 lostsoul 1
need a beautifull zulu woman must be btn 30 -45... Nov 28 Andey 1
Did Lake Land'Or ever get Comcast Broadband? Nov 23 Matt 5
Curious Nov '14 Curious 1
Review: Thornburg Auto & Truck Repair Oct '14 Thornburg Auto 2
Ruther Glen Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web