Comments
1 - 20 of 153 Comments Last updated Jul 9, 2008
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Factor

Russell Springs, KY

#1 Apr 22, 2008
Hmmmmm teacher cut in Russell County,what does this mean?Do you suppose that big swimming pool is more important?
Same Old Same OLD

Russell Springs, KY

#2 Apr 22, 2008
Factor wrote:
Hmmmmm teacher cut in Russell County,what does this mean?Do you suppose that big swimming pool is more important?
Pool not even open yet and don't forget how much the leaky roof will take to fix after it's DONE !
Wanna Know Something

Russell Springs, KY

#3 Apr 22, 2008
THIS COUNTY IS SO POOR, YOU GOT MEXICANS TRYING TO RUN THE PLACE.
dont you know

Russell Springs, KY

#4 Apr 22, 2008
I think we have had this discussion before--construction funds and those that pay teachers' salaries are two different "pots of money" and one can't fund the other.
Factor wrote:
Head of the Class

Jamestown, KY

#5 Apr 22, 2008
We know how this will go down...
Needed aides get cut, teachers who don't teach much/or very well keep their jobs (after getting that $3,000 raise). You wanna really stir the pot? Park the school buses at SCHOOL during the day. Let drivers AND administrators use personal vehicles to get back and forth to school.
You can be assured the best interests of the CHILDREN are not at hand.
Example? No problem. The announcement of possible cuts was made on the FIRST DAY OF TESTING in local schools. Wow, what a morale booster!
know

Russell Springs, KY

#6 Apr 22, 2008
If you were a bus driver that say picked up children in the Union Chapel area and lived in that area would it not be more sensible to have the driver keep the bus at his house than go to school and get it and then back to chapel, then in the afternoon go to chapel take the bus back to school for the next day. Seems to me that would be an extra trip each day. I say cut buses all together and let the parents get thier child to school
Johnny White Horse

Russell Springs, KY

#7 Apr 22, 2008
dont you know wrote:
I think we have had this discussion before--construction funds and those that pay teachers' salaries are two different "pots of money" and one can't fund the other.
<quoted text>
Actually, general fund money, as in the money taken in on property taxes, "could" fund building projects. It just never does, because it is rare for a school system in KY to have that much extra cash in the Gen. fund. Generally, people don't want to be taxed enough to build up a huge surplus, so the schools tax them just enough to operate each year, with a small surplus for emergencies. When the schools want to build, they sell bonds and sometimes get grants. THIS money CAN'T be used to fund teachers or anything other than the construction project.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong.
WOW

Russell Springs, KY

#8 Apr 22, 2008
Like its a big surprise.We all knew it was bound to happen sometime.Ridicules saleries and the rupp sized cement pond are just a few of the things going on that shouldnt be.I say out with the current school board the next election or its just going to be more of the same.To answer questions about were themoney comes from it dont atter what grant or funds its still the tax payers money either way.I am not against a nice pool for the swim team but my god what they are building is just a little over the top .Does everyone know we have one of the highest paid supers in the whole state.
no worries

Russell Springs, KY

#9 Apr 22, 2008
Before anyones panties gets all knotted up the protected will still be there .The school will probably lose some good aids .I also feel like some of the crown vics should be left at school .There are plenty of wastes that could be cut before anyone has to lose their jobs but thats not gonna happen in this lifetime anyway.
what about

Jamestown, KY

#10 Apr 22, 2008
What about the heat and electric bill the new building is going to cost. Ok building it won't cost the general fund anything but when you heat and cool such a big structure it cost a lot. what will pool chemicals cost I don't have a pool so I have no idea ?
cucan

Russell Springs, KY

#11 Apr 22, 2008
When you sell bonds don't you have to pay them back at some point in time? The pool will also have to have a manager, who do you think will get that job? Also the school's budget is layed out before the school year, sound's like poor planning, the staff, the supper and the school board ought to be held accountable.
Idea, instead of laying off aids and teachers, cut the salerys of the main office imployees, the supper, and the school board.
yuke

Jamestown, KY

#12 Apr 22, 2008
You bunch of idiots are funny as HE## to listen to. Not a one of u knows what their talking about except you want to bitch about SOMETHING.
If you would spend more time finding out what you try to discus with people, instead of standing in line at the POST OFFICE, you may be able to make a sensible argument. You make me yuke.
Ward Smith

Jamestown, KY

#13 Apr 23, 2008
yuke wrote:
You bunch of idiots are funny as HE## to listen to. Not a one of u knows what their talking about except you want to bitch about SOMETHING.
If you would spend more time finding out what you try to discus with people, instead of standing in line at the POST OFFICE, you may be able to make a sensible argument. You make me yuke.
OK, "genius," you've proven you can criticize people, but do you have something to say about the issue at hand?
Factor

Russell Springs, KY

#14 Apr 23, 2008
yuke wrote:
Well go ahead and yuke cause maybe you watching the post office so close to see whoes standing in line may be making you yuke so much.Have a yukey day!
my 2 cents

Russell Springs, KY

#15 Apr 23, 2008
Well, I think that we do need aides in the system that are not a product of the principal's family! I sickens me to see that every school has their own little family click! If you're not related, you're not going to get a job regardless of qualifications. I think this should be called school system incest! get these deadbeat teachers (not all of them are this way) out, they want to collect their checks and not teach. That's just as bad as the welfare junkies that get their monthly checks. I have personally seen some of the aides of the lower functioning children jerk the kids around by the arms for not acting on command, and I think that horrible, these kids have enough problems. And as far as rses... the 5and 6th graders are disciplining the children with their hall monitor passes, screaming at litte kindergarteners for running, and baby sitting the younger classes while the overpaid principal and teachers are stuffing their faces with their friday luncheons. Did anyone know that's what is happening in our schools? Tell me.. do you think something is wrong here, cuz I sure do!
citizen

Jamestown, KY

#16 Apr 23, 2008
my 2 cents wrote:
Well, I think that we do need aides in the system that are not a product of the principal's family! I sickens me to see that every school has their own little family click! If you're not related, you're not going to get a job regardless of qualifications. I think this should be called school system incest! get these deadbeat teachers (not all of them are this way) out, they want to collect their checks and not teach. That's just as bad as the welfare junkies that get their monthly checks. I have personally seen some of the aides of the lower functioning children jerk the kids around by the arms for not acting on command, and I think that horrible, these kids have enough problems. And as far as rses... the 5and 6th graders are disciplining the children with their hall monitor passes, screaming at litte kindergarteners for running, and baby sitting the younger classes while the overpaid principal and teachers are stuffing their faces with their friday luncheons. Did anyone know that's what is happening in our schools? Tell me.. do you think something is wrong here, cuz I sure do!
you are right.too many aides and not enough brains to teach
Head of the Class

Jamestown, KY

#17 Apr 23, 2008
Need to make cuts? OK, let's evaluate the TEACHERS (oh my!) and get rid of the ones who are not doing their jobs. You'd be surprised how many aides do all the work. If the teachers are doing a good job, then fine, let them stay. They should NOT stay just because they have a certain name, are in a certain social group, or are shopping/vacation buddies with the "right people." Oh, and maybe we better look at cutting back in administration, too. NOTE TO THOSE WHO MATTER-You better not take the stability away from the students or your oh so precious test scores may fall. THEN what are you going to do? Hmmm?!
Go Figure

Russell Springs, KY

#18 Apr 23, 2008
Administration cost is where most of the waste is.
How many people are employed by the system that Do NOT teach or Feed our children?

How many Administrators and Assistants are there.

We need good quality teachers - as many of them as we can get. It is NOT an easy job and they are NOT over paid (if they are doing their job)

As mentioned above - Give them Reviews like you do in any other profession. Good ones get raises, OK ones keep their jobs, bad ones go home. Trouble is the Teachers Associations (UNION) will NOT allow this.

You are right about parking the buses, taking away cars and phones and other perks of the job. Don't need them ever - let alone in financial hard times - cut ALL you can before the first qualified teacher goes home!
Gotcha

Russell Springs, KY

#19 Apr 23, 2008
my 2 cents wrote:
An investigative study conducted in Russell County schools "undercover" using surrepitious hidden micro video camera's might be an eye-opening shock about questionable occurences. These items are readily available now , cheap and LEGAL as long as at least one party knows they are being used. You never know what might be in Jack or Jills backpack these days.
citizen

Russell Springs, KY

#20 Apr 23, 2008
If you will check around the state you will find it is not only Russell County that is making cuts, Every surrounding county is.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russell Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 8 min use your brain 2,075
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min wtf 151,463
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 34 min Republicans Are S... 16,150
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr ChromiuMan 130,611
Is the School Board building a soccer and softb... (Feb '14) 1 hr chub 21
McDonalds 9 hr teamwendys 3
Beef at Save A Lot (Feb '09) 16 hr lapor 37
•••
•••
•••

Russell Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••