Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Please people, get your outside dogs protected. Bring them inside unless you want to lose them.
According to a weather alert. It will get down to between "3 & 8 degrees" over parts of east-central Ky.

Wind chill temps will be within a few degrees of ZERO. A person can get frostbite in a very short time.

Even dogs who have very long fur & an undercoat of fur will struggle & may die if left without shelter or a place to get warmth.

A dog with short hair will probably die or could have serious health problem as well as frostbite. These animals need protection. Even cats should have a place to get out of the frigid cold.

Please if you see an animal chained call the Animal Control IMMEDIATELY. If you see a dog chained with no dog house in sight call Animal Control. Call police, call anyone who will help the animal.
DogCare

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

You are of course 100% correct. Animals are not meant to be tied to a tree or put in a pen with no shelter. Often without food or water.

This however is Russell County. There is no such thing as Animal Protection here except a warden to haul them to Taylor County, to be put down in most cases. No interest from the majority of the population here to treat animals humanely. No interest at all....sadly.

This is Russell County..
pet lover

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

mine is inside, she is a big lab, not a house dog at all but when temp.drops down she is brought inside.
weak breeding

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Animals were ment to weather just about any weather until man started crossbreeding.How did amimals survive without man?better get the rats in the house.
blue

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

let my dog in last night and tonigh, but it didnt last long... he would rather be out. just threw some extra straw in his doghouse and frequently been checking his water. he didnt seem to have any interest in staying inside. he made his rounds to get rubbed and brushed then was scratching on the door. i think ur right, anyone with a pet should check it out, make sure everything is ok. but unless its a small dog, im not worried so much about my own. he knows how to let us know if he's not feeling well and i will continue to check on him every couple hours..personally, my own dog is more bothered by the super hot summer weather than he ever has been by our winters.
CrossBreeder

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

weak breeding wrote:
Animals were ment to weather just about any weather until man started crossbreeding.How did amimals survive without man?better get the rats in the house.
Could it be possible that animals? are not the only species who have been crossbred? It is said to reduce the intelligence of some if there is too much common blood. In man? and animals.
Bad Weather

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

Glad to see those of you who care about your dogs are taking good care of them. That's great!
Ya know, I'm aware that a lab has a double coat, as do most northern breeds. My main concern was for all those dogs with short hair and no undercoat. Most of them have little to hardly no fur on their underside. They were not bred to withstand severe cold temperatures.
And no dog should be without a dog house or shelter of some kind.

To "Dog Care", I'm sure your correct. I've heard wild stories a out Taylor County Shelter. Not good. I guess we have to start with our Mayor, and then other elected officials. It seems most of them are "Dog haters". I personally believe that should be announced regularly and often. Because in not caring for any dogs well being, they are NOT representing those of us who own dogs. We need different representation.

Perhaps we should send letters of concern to all the officials requesting they change their stance on dog issues and catch up to the rest of the world. And send them in massive quantities. May help them them to decide it is an issue they can no longer ignore.

We got to start somewhere. And the citizens have stood idly by for way too long as it is. What do you think?
Bad Weather

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

Oh another thing I found interesting and lacking is how I did NOT hear ANY kind of announcement on TV or Radio telling folks to bring animals in or protect them. I found that surprising!
I've lived in states much further south than here, where cold weather is minimal and never as bad as here, but when the temp drops, you hear alerts and ads informing folks how animals (dog) can suffer health damage if not protected.

You know, a public service announcement. The fact I did not hear any here tells me we definitely have the wrong people running our counties and our state!! Doesn't matter if they belong to the same party as myself or not, if they do not care about innocent animals, then I don't want them in office and will work to keep them from getting re-elected.
These people runni g our counties do not appear to be very wise.
OldToRussell

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Bad Weather wrote:
Oh another thing I found interesting and lacking is how I did NOT hear ANY kind of announcement on TV or Radio telling folks to bring animals in or protect them. I found that surprising!
I've lived in states much further south than here, where cold weather is minimal and never as bad as here, but when the temp drops, you hear alerts and ads informing folks how animals (dog) can suffer health damage if not protected.
You know, a public service announcement. The fact I did not hear any here tells me we definitely have the wrong people running our counties and our state!! Doesn't matter if they belong to the same party as myself or not, if they do not care about innocent animals, then I don't want them in office and will work to keep them from getting re-elected.
These people runni g our counties do not appear to be very wise.
I assume you are new to the area. If you were here for the last CJE election you might remember...Good OldBoys won again. The mentality will not be commented on.
At first the animals were taken to Columbia to GRAS, their price increased so they were taken to Pulaski Co, who actually has a very good rescue program going.(There was a story in the Somerset Newspaper recently by a writer who rode along on a rescue trip. If I remember correctly their kill ration is no more than 5%, the 95% being adopted or taken to rescue.) Now comes Taylor County who offers to take Russell animals for less than Pulaski, or so the stories go, I can't verify that, but it sounds plausable. The almighty dollar wins with no other thought. Russell County has been this way as long as I can remember...
I wish you well in efforts to effect a change, and I would even join you in your quest, but I do not have your optimism any longer.
Bad Weather

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Well, I can certainly understand your thinking. And yes I heard about saving a couple dollars and sending to c-ville.
Also, just read where a person in C-ville wanted to see ALL the dogs so they could rescue the most needy. However, apparently there is a separate area where dogs are kept that this person was NOT allowed to see. You have to wonder why don't ya? Are conditions so bad they don't want them known? No excuse for that as far as I can surmise.
I'd assume many RC animals, including well loved pets are in that area no one can see or rescue from. I suspect animals who are not being fed or watered or cared for in any way, shape or form. The person who was there wanted to rescue the most needy or ones who were about to be put down. They were refused.

Don't you wonder how many RC officials have taken A tour of C-Villes facilities to see if they are doing good business & what's best for the dogs?? I'm thinking NONE. Which makes me wonder why in heck they'd opt for such a place.

I want to KNOW how many people work for the county that have pets ? Cats or dogs. And IF they have a dog then how can they in good conscience turn A blind eye to such as the treatment in C-ville? Do they want their dog going in that bldg no one is allowed to see??

You have to stick this sort of reality in their faces. You have to make it newsworthy. You have to make it known here is someone who probably loves their own dog but closes their eyes to cruelty of other dogs.

It is well past time all this come to light. The fact is, many many many of us have dogs. Dogs we love & care for & are a part of our family. Human beings.... ALL human beings have a responsibility to be sure to treat animals fairly & justly.

God gave us dogs in particular to help us obtain food, to protect us, to be the only animal devoted to its human. So HOW do our officials reconcile that with the refusing to do their part to protect & care for dogs?

They need to answer to that. And they need to answer NOW not later.

I can assure you I will be fighting with my money & my spreading the word when elections come around again. And those who haven't protected dogs up until now better start re-thinking that stance. I'd say well over half the citizens here in the county own a dog. They should consider that.

Also, in the remote chance one of my expensive pure breeds come up missing or one of my rescued strays. I'd sue the county til the cows come if they were destroyed at C-ville. Have no problem spending everything I have to do that.
As I understand it, c-ville does NOT check for micro chips or attempt to locate owner if a collar is on the dog.
RC needs to answer as to WHY they are ok with that.
winter coat

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Do animals no longer produce a winter coat?
Bad Weather

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Yes some dogs do produce a winter coat. However, dogs who were originally bred in hot climates with very short hair have no protection from the elements. The reason many long haired dogs do ok is because they have an "undercoat" of very very thick Downey like fur against their skin. Some have such a thick undercoat like the purebred lab that its difficult to get their skin wet. Which is why they make wonderful water dogs.
Many labs or lab mixes in our area do NOT have an undercoat at all. I have one of those. A rescue. The dog is naked of fur on her underside. You can see all her skin, with very little thin hairs here and there. So this dog cannot take a prolonged temperature below freezing like we have right now.
All of the pit bull type dogs or American Staffordshires also do not fair well in frigid temps. No undercoat & either little to zero hairs on their bellies.
These short haired dogs also do not have much fur to protect their feet from freezing temps like some dogs do.
I have seen short haired dogs who actually froze to death. I suppose their body temp gets so cold their blood won't pump any longer.

Right now with temp still below freezing if owners aren't heating the water these outside dogs only have frozen water. Not good. Dogs require water daily & often.

Also ANY dog requires extra food in the winter. Any vet can tell you that. They need the extra food to produce energy to stay warm. They burn lots of energy shivering just like we do. So need more food.
Bad Weather

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

On a good note, I did hear the DJ this morning on the Swap Shop recommend that people get their dogs inside. I was grateful to hear that.

Just wish they'd do more in the public announcement to inform of the dangers of leaving animals outside. Especially unsheltered dogs.

I misplaced one of my dogs leather collars so I had to use one of my slip-chain training collars to take him outside for a potty. I noticed when we came back inside, that chain collar was like ICE in my hand as I removed it. Cold as Ice and we were only outside for maybe 5 minutes.

It made me wonder about all the dogs with a chain around their neck. That chain will be like having an ICE necklace that does NOT get warm ever. That has to have an effect on blood flow to the head and ears and I'd think it would be sure to keep their temperature even lower than dogs that are outside with a regular cloth collar. I pity those pokes dogs who are wearing a chain of any kind. Because there is no way they will get warm. Even if they have a dog house.

Take anything metal or stainless steel you have outside for about 5-10 minutes, then come back in remove your gloves, and feel how extremely COLD that is. It's shocking how ice cold it is. Sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Russell Springs Forum right now

Search the Russell Springs Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 27 min Le Jimbo 146,188
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 1 hr oscar 16,116
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr jamie 128,588
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr terri 26,184
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 2 hr shew 1,014
Williams Comfort Air (Jul '10) 7 hr Dennis 14
Russell Co Prosecutor Matthew Leveridge Arrested (Mar '09) 8 hr Threesomeswelcome 112
•••
•••
•••
•••

Russell Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Russell Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••